Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
just kill it. do you have a good computer scientist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

The Lone Badger posted:

I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do about the meson cannon in California. Even sprinting for the other side of the hill is ineffective, it shoots right through.

Move the person it's targeting away from the rest. That way, if you don't kill it in time, only they will get taken out.

Other than that, just shoot it until it dies.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

AlternateAccount posted:

Just throw in a grenade or two, done.

Or the tried and true, shoot at thing on other side of minefield, then run away. I had at least two get cleared by very surprised wolves and toads.

GertLush
Aug 24, 2005
Quick question that's bugging me. What do the white crosses on the character portrait signify?

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

GertLush posted:

Quick question that's bugging me. What do the white crosses on the character portrait signify?

You got skill points to spend. Checking the skill section on the character screen will get rid of it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VDay posted:

I haven't played all week, what were the big changes in the patch?

Main change is reminding you that you bought a barely polished Kickstarter game that uses the Unity game engine.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You don't have to spend all your points to make the cross go away--just click Confirm on the skill page.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

etalian posted:

Main change is reminding you that you bought a barely polished Kickstarter game that uses the Unity game engine.

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooo

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

etalian posted:

…and that it still manages to handily beat 99% of all “AAA” junk released on the market without even raising a finger.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Verviticus posted:

do you have a good computer scientist?

Yes?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

steal all the bad guys

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Will I regret wiping out the Red Scorpions and their commander? They're dicks and I'm not sure I care about helping them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For what it's worth, I'm playing on a non gaming laptop (4G RAM and Intel onboard video card) and the patch seems to have significantly improved performance. Maybe because of the direct X thing I suppose.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Has performance improved enough to not cause video cards to run way hotter than they should be? Or is that going to be a permanent/long-term issue?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What the hell? Scotchmo just got a lucky crit and missed everyone? How does that work? :confused:

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Managed to tear myself from Destiny to try this game, and immediately hit decision paralysis when it came to stats and skill distribution. Any recommendations?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WarpedLichen posted:

Managed to tear myself from Destiny to try this game, and immediately hit decision paralysis when it came to stats and skill distribution. Any recommendations?

The OP has a decent character build guide, but overall you want to focus on building a team that can uses different weapon types plus has a good mix of non-combat skills.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

The further I get in Act 2 the more I'm thinking I should wait a few weeks before continuing. The entire Hollywood/Bastion questline is absurdly buggy.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

WarpedLichen posted:

Depending on your choices very early on, you will pick up either a high intelligence computer/surgeon party member, or a sniper with outdoorsman/animal whisperer. You should probably be able to figure out how to get the one you want. It's worth taking them into account when making your party, especially since they're the only two good, permanent companions I've seen in this game so far. Everyone else is either temporary (the character you get on the first screen) or varying degrees of garbage.

Personally I've been focusing on 2-3 skills for 4 int characters, 3-4 for 8 int characters, and 4 for 10 int characters which has been working fairly well. Leadership is fantastic but you need it on one of your 4 main characters with good charisma for it to be effective, and preferably one who hangs around at mid-range. Barter + Alarm Disarming are worthless and Mechanical Repair is of very limited value. Heavy Weapons are very bad, and Shotguns are kinda poo poo too. As far as melee weapons go, I've found Blunt to be more useful than Bladed, and I can't speak for Brawling.

Speed is super important for your melee/flanking characters, and you probably want to make sure that assault rifle/sniper characters have 10 AP. Make sure you check what each individual point in a stat gives you as well, since not every number is created equal. Having anything other than 4, 8, or 10 int for example is a complete waste that does nothing for you.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
The second half of the game is feeling like a whole other game, really. The locations are less impressive and everything is condensed, you don't have to worry about water, they place merchants outside of areas that make no sense just so you can have a healer/merchant ready. The quests seems a little less thought out too, but I'm still exploring it, maybe it picks up, but it is buggier than the first section. I never really had bugs in the first second, but boy, I'm hitting them in the second.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So, after finishing Ag Center and Highpool, I decided I wasn't very happy with my party. I'd given everyone way too many skills for their intelligences and just wasn't feeling confident in going forward with them. So I decided to test something...

You can, in fact, create two fresh save games and copy 3 characters from one game into the other, resulting in a party of 7 custom rangers.

My OCD desire to have a ~perfect skill spread~ nearly requires me to do this, although I'm a little worried it might bug out on me at some point. :ohdear:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fintilgin posted:

So, after finishing Ag Center and Highpool, I decided I wasn't very happy with my party. I'd given everyone way too many skills for their intelligences and just wasn't feeling confident in going forward with them. So I decided to test something...

You can, in fact, create two fresh save games and copy 3 characters from one game into the other, resulting in a party of 7 custom rangers.

My OCD desire to have a ~perfect skill spread~ nearly requires me to do this, although I'm a little worried it might bug out on me at some point. :ohdear:

Can you use this to duplicate npcs and have the Scotchmo brigade? Buying only one snake squeezing might crash the game though.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Yesterday I decided to edit/optimize my companion stats/skills to play nicer with the rest of my party and I'm glad that I did. I also went ahead and bumped everyone's luck up a bunch and then increased the difficulty to Ranger + dropped down to a 6-man group to compensate, and it's been significantly more fun so far. Slightly fewer, but better dudes to control against tougher enemies.

Most importantly I also turned Takayuki into an assault rifle guy and gave him a backpack so he's more "cool rambo guy" and less "retarded caveman".

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

WarpedLichen posted:

It's not that hard a game. I managed to gently caress up basically everything and I'm still going strong through California. Just throw some numbers at the screen and roll with it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

AxeManiac posted:

The second half of the game is feeling like a whole other game, really. The locations are less impressive and everything is condensed, you don't have to worry about water, they place merchants outside of areas that make no sense just so you can have a healer/merchant ready. The quests seems a little less thought out too, but I'm still exploring it, maybe it picks up, but it is buggier than the first section. I never really had bugs in the first second, but boy, I'm hitting them in the second.

Yeah, the 2nd is a mixed bag overall. I liked some of the locations from a "Oh, this is neat" standpoint. But alot were just sort of lame to navigate etc. Your starting base in Cali for instance was lovely :(

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I found the toxx claws!

http://i.imgur.com/K0LvaRY.jpg

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wasteland 2 Patch posted:

- Grenades and RPGs will now show 100% chance to hit in the item info menu and the derived stats display.

- Energy weapons, grenades, and RPGs will now show 0% chance to hit in the item info menu and the derived stats display.

Can someone explain this?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Jastiger posted:

Can someone explain this?

I believe the second line is supposed to say "chance to jam".

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
So, I just did Ag Center for the first time rather than highpool. Immediately after completing that Protip: you get so many maulers that Larson is a complete non-issue, dynamite/pipebombs gently caress up rabbits I headed back to the citadel to go turn in stuff to the museum dude, but he has no chat buttons. I can enter commands, but I don't remember any other than "tour".

The counterfeit weapons dude also didn't allow me to -rear end into his quest. Didn't even let me ask about his sister.

Anyone know what's going on, or is this just a bug?

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Broose posted:

So, I just did Ag Center for the first time rather than highpool. Immediately after completing that Protip: you get so many maulers that Larson is a complete non-issue, dynamite/pipebombs gently caress up rabbits I headed back to the citadel to go turn in stuff to the museum dude, but he has no chat buttons. I can enter commands, but I don't remember any other than "tour".

The counterfeit weapons dude also didn't allow me to -rear end into his quest. Didn't even let me ask about his sister.

Anyone know what's going on, or is this just a bug?

Got the same thing, but I thought it was because I bought his entire stock and maybe that stopped him from needing to send a letter or something.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
2 questions:

1. I just finished up Rail Nomads and dismissed Angela to make room for a new party member. However, when I returned to Ranger HQ, she was not in the mess hall. I checked where we first met and Ace's grace but she wasn't there either. I went back to where I dismissed her but she was gone. Have I lost her for good? In the event that I am screwed I understand she leaves before you hit the 2nd radio tower, can someone tell me how this happens? I don't have the wherewithal to restart and didnt see anything on youtube

2. Now that I finished Rail Nomads (and the intro highpool/ag center), I believe I have 3 options to head towards: Wreckers Home Base, Darwin, or the Prison. Is there a best order to do these? Im thinking wreckers then probably darwin...

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Even though Im pro-assault rifle's all day er'y day in WL2, it'd be cool if the armor and weapon tiering slowly scaled to tell the player they're going to hit a threshold where ballistic weapons like guns etc just cant keep up anymore, and its time for Energy Weapons to take over.

It feels a bit like the AP on top end Assault Rifles versus the armor its facing is too generous, I mean. Maybe leave have it level off at 6 for absolute tops, but let Sniper Rifles get a bit more like 7 (and the 50 cal 8 or 9, since it has unique ammo etc)

Granted its 7.62 for the end-assault rifles... but ~POWER ARMOR~ :( Armor just doesnt feel suitably solid near the end, I dont think.

Also regarding clothing choices... Sucks you cant get Mannerite armor :( I want a Judge Dredd dude, drat it!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

After finally getting to the Titan's valley... I want to screw over both factions. :mad:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Brawling is kind of weird. Been fooling around with editing stuff. At first glance, brawling looks really really lovely, cause the weapons are crap and you can't mod them, but they have a higher chance to cause a debuff. Meh. But then, messing around with a cranked up Ralphie, I noticed the crit chance is greater than 100% and the damage is higher than that listed on the item. So, it looks like, if you specialize into it, brawling is basically certain to crit, and there's some effect on damage I'm not aware of, maybe from strength. The big weakness I'm still seeing is that they don't have much armor penetration.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, I read that brawling gets an extra multiplier on crits from strength, so guaranteed crits, especially with high strength characters, exploit the gently caress out of that multiplier.

There's an NPC who is a naturally good brawler, yeah? I'm not certain I want to go back to building up my scrapper now that he's my heavy weapons and explosives guy.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

bobtheconqueror posted:

Brawling is kind of weird. Been fooling around with editing stuff. At first glance, brawling looks really really lovely, cause the weapons are crap and you can't mod them, but they have a higher chance to cause a debuff. Meh. But then, messing around with a cranked up Ralphie, I noticed the crit chance is greater than 100% and the damage is higher than that listed on the item. So, it looks like, if you specialize into it, brawling is basically certain to crit, and there's some effect on damage I'm not aware of, maybe from strength. The big weakness I'm still seeing is that they don't have much armor penetration.

I think level is also a factor because at 19th level unarmed without any punch weapons does 20-21 damage in the character menu but reads as 1-2 when you mouse over the fist icon. I think those basic punch gloves that make it cost only 2 AP might just be craaaazy overpowered. Unless my squad is bugged or something it seems to add your level to unarmed damage.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

gently caress, friendly fire in this game is literally "did you miss?" and then it scans for a friendly and kills them. i hate it so much

i just did 280 damage to a friend who was crouching in front of me with a burst fire that was rated as a 92% hit chance. Cool!!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Verviticus posted:

gently caress, friendly fire in this game is literally "did you miss?" and then it scans for a friendly and kills them. i hate it so much

i just did 280 damage to a friend who was crouching in front of me with a burst fire that was rated as a 92% hit chance. Cool!!

Works both ways though, you can line up bad guys in a line with a low to-hit at the end and pwn them all, since misses will hit anything directly in-between with very high frequency.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Unormal posted:

Works both ways though, you can line up bad guys in a line with a low to-hit at the end and pwn them all, since misses will hit anything directly in-between with very high frequency.

Yeah, this is something that I really like. Bunch of enemies in a line? Switch to burst fire headshots. You'll miss your target a lot, but those bullets will hit his buddies instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

mid-california: is there any value in keeping that "adrian gordon" npc alive? he seems to have some funny dialogue but hes pretty weak

• Locked thread