Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

That's easy to deal with, all it takes is staying aware of your surroundings. Even if no one uses a blinker you can read what they want to do and adjust your driving to try and keep everyone happy.

I stop/start significantly slower if no one is behind me. I'll drift to the left side of the lane if it's clear the person behind me wants to turn right too, just to give them as much room as I can.

Same here, brother. Top MPG, top courtesy, good driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

jamal posted:

The thing about coasting/rolling up slowly to a light or leaving a big gap and not rolling forward to a reasonable distance is that it does more than just annoy the people who want to hurry up and wait. Usually it will block people from getting into a turn lane or make them miss the arrow or get someone stuck in an intersection. All those things slow traffic down for everyone even if you aren't doing anything wrong or it's technically someone else's fault.

This. Plus especially if it's a light on a sensor instead of a timer. The sooner you get to the light the sooner it turns green again.

Also gently caress people that doddle through a left turn making sure they are the only ones who get through that 3 car sized gap

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
RE: "I see a red light, we have to stop anyways so I'm going to go as slow as possible until I reach the intersection" chat:

I live off of a semi-limited access US route. When approaching from the west I have two signals to contend with. The first one cycles the intersecting street one direction at a time, and then the signal at my street cycles the highway one direction at a time. As a result there's a high percentage occurrence of the light at my street turning red just as the previous light goes green, and inevitably you end up behind someone who decides to go 30 MPH or less for the half mile between lights, in a 50 MPH zone. I've been stuck behind two like-minded drivers who managed to putter along through an entire cycle (red to green and back to red just as you arrive at the intersection again) as a result of the "going to stop eventually, might as well stop where I am" mentality.

D C posted:

Also gently caress people that doddle through a left turn making sure they are the only ones who get through that 3 car sized gap

Or sit through several gaps long enough to accommodate 2-3 cars and then make a turn through a much shorter gap just as the light cycles.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'll defend myself here and say that I won't do that at an intersection where I'm not familiar with the light timing. Plus, once the light up ahead goes green (or if nobody's waiting there to trip the sensors) I'll drive at a normal speed. I hope you don't take offense to this?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

xzzy posted:

I'll drift to the left side of the lane if it's clear the person behind me wants to turn right too, just to give them as much room as I can.

I thought I was the only person in NA who did this. :stare:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If a motorcycle is in front of you at a stop light and the light isn't changing, please roll forward onto the sensor. Especially if the motorcyclist has rolled forward and is gesturing for you to move up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

I thought I was the only person in NA who did this. :stare:

I also do this as well as pull off as far to the right as I can when I'm making a right so other people can get by.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I generally don't, because then some dick will blow by with barely any room to spare. He can stay behind me until I'm completely out of the way.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Motronic posted:

I also do this as well as pull off as far to the right as I can when I'm making a right so other people can get by.

I'll make room for people to get into a left turn lane but I simply cannot handle doing this, my long-rear end wheelbase prevents me from taking most right turns tightly.

God forbid I curb my rimzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

KozmoNaut posted:

I generally don't, because then some dick will blow by with barely any room to spare.

So? Unless you're on a motorcycle or something, let the people who are passing you figure out if they have room or not, there's no way you can possibly know. I drive deliveries for my job in a place with a lot of narrow two-way streets, and idiots are always in the middle of the street. I have a lot of practice figuring out clearance so I know my car pretty well, at least I hope so.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 27, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Michael Scott posted:

So? Unless you're on a motorcycle or something, let the people who are passing you figure out if they have room or not, there's no way you can possibly know.

A lot of the time, I am on a motorcycle.

But even if I'm in a car, I still don't want people to pass me with ~5cm to spare. Which they will.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
There's a street here with parking on both sides, no painted lines, where 2 cars going the opposite direction can pass each other, but generally traffic pulls to the side and one goes at a time because people don't know their vehicles. A woman was coming toward me in a van the other day, I'm in a suburban, and she starts coming down the 'lane'. Well, I see I still have room to pass, so I keep going, assuming she'll give me some more space. She just stops, but I still have room so I squeeze thru. She lays on her horn as I'm passing, cleanly, without needing to even slow to make sure the mirrors won't hit. I get past her and she had more 2 or 3 feet on her right side, she could have moved over a bit and we wouldn't have even been close.

But I was the rear end in a top hat in this situation apparently.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Motronic posted:

That's actually a law here - you're supposed to "pull to the right as far as safely possible" when making a right turn.

Can't say I've seen anyone besides myself actually follow it in years though. I'd be shocked if I didn't see someone make a right turn from a left turn lane at least once a week, I'm pretty sure half of the city I work in is in training to appear in an episode of Cops or World's Wildest Police Chases.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I wish people would stop swinging out to make a U-turn.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PaganGoatPants posted:

Sometimes it's necessary; my car has a pretty tight turning radius, but on roads that are two lanes per side with a narrow median I often have to swing out a bit and pre-turn as I'm stopping at the light, so that I can clear the curb on the other side.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's never necessary. Just go full lock, give a quick boot to the throttle, and the car will flip a quick 180.

If that doesn't work, your car is poo poo and you need a different one.

edit: vroom broom.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i am triggered plz check u're rwd privilege tia

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Hah. I don't even try to U-turn in my FWD Volvos unless it's 3 lanes the other way. My old one can almost u-turn in a parking space.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

gently caress you, I can't U-turn with any less than three lanes per side and a sizeable median, and sometimes it's more important for me to complete a U-turn quickly than to continue caring about my fellow motorists' feelings.

But never in front of someone.

Powershift posted:

It's never necessary. Just go full lock, give a quick boot to the throttle, and the car will flip a quick 180.

If that doesn't work, your car is poo poo and you need a different one.

edit: vroom broom.

I used to but my new rubber is too harcoe to break the tires loose reliably.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 28, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

N is for Nipples posted:

gently caress you, I can't U-turn with any less than three lanes per side and a sizeable median, and sometimes it's more important for me to complete a U-turn quickly than to continue caring about my fellow motorists' feelings.

But never in front of someone.
Awd volvo owner spotted

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
IDGI with lovely enough tyres on the back the handbrake lets me U-turn my big FWD car around in roughly its own length. :confused:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That's a bit tough to pull off coming from a stop, though. :v:

Also pretty sure I'd get arrested for pulling a handbrake turn on public streets in my bright yellow import with a big (factory) wing on the back.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Doing a u-turn in most situations discussed is illegal anyways.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Powershift posted:

Doing a u-turn in most situations discussed is illegal anyways.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Come to a real city with medians everywhere and you'll see legal u-turns every block unless there is a roundabout.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Unload My Head posted:

Come to a real city with medians everywhere and you'll see legal u-turns every block unless there is a roundabout.

Real cities don't have roundabouts.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Michael Scott posted:

Real cities don't have roundabouts.

I mean, you say that, buuuuuuut......
http://youtu.be/-2RCPpdmSVg

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
As an American who can actually drive, I actually really like roundabouts. Everyone else here panics and I just drive right through.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In Ontario, U-turns are legal at any intersection on any two-lane road where it is currently safe to do so unless there's a sign indicating otherwise.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
In NJ while U-turns are generally illegal or discouraged by the drivers handbook, K turns are actively encouraged and one of the only 5 things the dmv will test you on specifically.

My road test consisted of that, parallel parking, making sure I mentioned seat belts to the instructor, and not falling for the trick stop sign in the parking lot of the department. Consequently my opinion of NJ drivers is absolutely bare minimal unless proven otherwise

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 29, 2014

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Unload My Head posted:

As an American who can actually drive, I actually really like roundabouts. Everyone else here panics and I just drive right through.

I think you're supposed to drive around them, not through them.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Unload My Head posted:

Yeah, they rule. I lived in a small town with a ton of mini-roundabouts in place of 4 way stops though and it definitely becomes love/hate with all the idiots that come to a complete stop regardless of traffic in the circle. But if everyone is actually paying attention you can blow through them so much faster than other types of traffic control.

dpidz0r posted:

You see this move surprisingly often. I would forgive it in winter when the whole intersection was covered in snow, but I saw several people do the straight through in summer. I also bizarrely saw a couple different people pull onto the inside brick ring of single-lane roundabouts like this and use it like a tiny interior lane.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

dpidz0r posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jesf4xFOg1Q

gently caress you, you can't tell me how to driiiiiive

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

the trick stop sign in the parking lot of the department.

What is this, like a stop sign that's too small or mounted too low to be legal or something? And do you seriously fail if you stop for it? Way to go New Jersey!

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Sagebrush posted:

What is this, like a stop sign that's too small or mounted too low to be legal or something? And do you seriously fail if you stop for it? Way to go New Jersey!

There's a parking lines annotated with stop, with no corresponding sign. I've heard of people failing the test because they failed to heed it despite there being no corresponding sign. This was before they repainted the lot after erecting a new building for the main DMV.

Edit: I'm not actually sure how accurate these accounts were because I know for a fact they were shitheads driving. All I know is I stopped where it said stop and didn't get busted for it.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 29, 2014

Honsy16
Mar 18, 2009
If New Jersey should be teaching anything, it's proper high beams usage and maintaining speed on an up-grade. I deliver a load of mail to Jersey City two nights a week and without fail there will always be people who take their time passing me only to hit one of the hills on I-80 and slowly work their way backwards again. Of course, their high beams are on this whole time, blinding the hell out of me. I'm in a 40 ton tractor trailer that's limited to 62 MPH, how does this even happen?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
In Michigan, there are only right hand turns and U-turns.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Is there any part of I-80 that doesn't blow? I've driven from Chicago all the way through Illinois and Iowa up to Omaha. The only part that isn't horrible is when you get to make a pit stop at Iowa 80.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I never realized how badly people maintain their speed until I got cruise control. Set it at 68 and people seem to switch between 55 and 90 as quickly as physics allows, with no provocation or reason.

I wonder if they show up at dealerships complaining about brake wear and lovely fuel economy.

Honsy16
Mar 18, 2009

Uthor posted:

The only part that isn't horrible is when you get to make a pit stop at Iowa 80.

Ah yes, God's own truck stop. It's been a while since I've been out that way, but a lot of religious signs and billboards around there. Cool place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I never realized how badly people maintain their speed until I got cruise control. Set it at 68 and people seem to switch between 55 and 90 as quickly as physics allows, with no provocation or reason.

If it took you "until I got cruise control" YOU were one of those people.