Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Cyron posted:

He got raging mad when the match that got canceled due to a real life ingry and the plan b for less then 24 hours wasn't a full 15 min match.

You can blame Spoony for a lot of things, but he didn't get mad over this. He explicitly stated that he wasn't mad over that.

"Honest to god, I'm not mad about that. I'm not going to rant about something that was an injury."

What he was ranting about was how the announcers were shilling for the network during the PPV and mocked people (throughout the show) for paying full price for the PPV when they could've gotten the Network instead for $9.99. Then, from there, continue to relentlessly push ("lunge for my wallet") for the Network on a show people have already paid for. He was irritated that WWE places less emphasis and effort on PPV's now:

"There are no PPV's anymore. They're calling then :airquote: "special events." Pay-Per-Views are no longer part of the business model. That's why they're calling you stupid: it's because you're paying for something that's not $55 worth of content - they don't make that anymore. They are just making another TV show. It's another episode of RAW. It's nothing more or less special."

Which is a valid complaint and something I've heard elsewhere.

Given his history, it's gotten to the point where anyone will believe anything someone says about Spoony. But he has nobody to blame but himself for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ema Nymton posted:

I feel the same way, and I think I have an idea as to why. It's the nature of the single-camera format and the false intimacy it creates. This video explains it pretty well. That's what makes it so uniquely engaging for viewers. Finding out that someone is a douche breaks the illusion. The false intimacy cannot materialize when it's with someone you don't even want to be intimate with. :geno:

That's why I can easily disconnect myself and enjoy Tom Cruise (nut) and Chevy Chase (rear end in a top hat) movies, but it's not as easy with JonTron and other internet personalities like him. The their respective formats do not work the same way.

I'm just glad the opposite is true for a few of these personalities; Linkara, AVGN, Nostalgia Critic, and hell Angry Joe always seem like nice people off camera and I'd gladly like to hang out with them.

BigRed0427 posted:

If you are getting angry about the WWE then do what I do: Either take a break from the WWE or watch some kind of other wrestling. WWE is not the only company out there. That might help Spoony.
Spoony is kind of like us PSP goons (well like some of them) where they will get all angry and cynical and then saying how no one should watch the product and "I'm totally quitting guys you'll see!!! [then the next week they come back posting how everything is awful]" I mean at that point just give up for a while. Except of course if you are sharing the network with someone and paying full price for it while I- I mean this guy I know uses it for free. Never stop watching.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Kyle looks like a young John Hodgeman now

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
From professor to student in five minutes flat. :stare:

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Ema Nymton posted:

I feel the same way, and I think I have an idea as to why. It's the nature of the single-camera format and the false intimacy it creates. This video explains it pretty well. That's what makes it so uniquely engaging for viewers. Finding out that someone is a douche breaks the illusion. The false intimacy cannot materialize when it's with someone you don't even want to be intimate with. :geno:

That's why I can easily disconnect myself and enjoy Tom Cruise (nut) and Chevy Chase (rear end in a top hat) movies, but it's not as easy with JonTron and other internet personalities like him. The their respective formats do not work the same way.

FAKE EDIT:

Except...
I do have some terrible news for you all from Oancitizen's Twitter account. Yeah I know we shouldn't post twitter, but this is just too grave not to.

https://twitter.com/KyleKallgren/status/515149739923615744

nooooo :gonk:

I had a bit of a moment. It's like getting a haircut after a breakup.

Also, hair has a way of growing back :)

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

KKall posted:

I had a bit of a moment. It's like getting a haircut after a breakup.

Also, hair has a way of growing back :)

Hope that's not too personal, but honest to God, a good decision, you don't have the beard grow for a full beard. You are by far not the only one, so maybe it starts a trend :).

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

e X posted:

Hope that's not too personal, but honest to God, a good decision, you don't have the beard grow for a full beard. You are by far not the only one, so maybe it starts a trend :).

Oh, don't I know it. I've hated the sides of my beard for a long time and I just had to see why I grew a beard in the first place.
It turns out I grew a beard because I look like a shlub without one.

I've been thinking of just a goatee, actually. My chin's always been stronger than my jawline.

KKall fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 27, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ema Nymton posted:

Except...
I do have some terrible news for you all from Oancitizen's Twitter account. Yeah I know we shouldn't post twitter, but this is just too grave not to.

https://twitter.com/KyleKallgren/status/515149739923615744

nooooo :gonk:

KKall posted:

Oh, don't I know it. I've hated the sides of my beard for a long time and I just had to see why I grew a beard in the first place.

I've been thinking of just a goatee, actually. My chin's always been stronger than my jawline.

You claim to be a patron of the arts, yet you, sir, have willingly vandalized a national treasure :colbert:.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Joe is playing Civ Beyond Earth on Twitch
http://www.twitch.tv/angryjoeshow

I'm just curious did he say anything horrible during "Gamergate"?

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You claim to be a patron of the arts, yet you, sir, have willingly vandalized a national treasure :colbert:.

This is my favorite sentence ever :D

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Joe is playing Civ Beyond Earth on Twitch
http://www.twitch.tv/angryjoeshow

I'm just curious did he say anything horrible during "Gamergate"?

Hasn't said much of anything at all positive OR negative, although that'll change when he does his top 10 controversies vid at the end of the year. I've seen him on Gaters' "EVIL HORRIBLE SJW" lists though purely because he had the temerity to defend FemFreq and say that harassing women online wasn't ok in said vid last year.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

KKall posted:

Grow a Dali. I want to live vicariously through you, you who can grow proper facial hair.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

Hasn't said much of anything at all positive OR negative, although that'll change when he does his top 10 controversies vid at the end of the year. I've seen him on Gaters' "EVIL HORRIBLE SJW" lists though purely because he had the temerity to defend FemFreq and say that harassing women online wasn't ok in said vid last year.

Yea I doubt he'll say much beyond 'this was a hosed up thing' and of course that'll get him branded a hysterical tumblr feminazi who probably hosed Zoe for a bit.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Are we able to talk much about the whole Sam Pepper thing here? Because he's not exactly had a good week. Not exactly an Internet Critic, but a big Youtuber who's heading for a big fall and rightly so. There doesn't seem to be a general "Youtube goings on" thread here (which may well be a good thing).

EDIT: And congrats on the new look, Kyle! Honestly takes the years right off.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 27, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Kim Justice posted:

Are we able to talk much about the whole Sam Pepper thing here? Because he's not exactly had a good week. Not exactly an Internet Critic, but a big Youtuber who's heading for a big fall and rightly so. There doesn't seem to be a general "Youtube goings on" thread here (which may well be a good thing).

EDIT: And congrats on the new look, Kyle! Honestly takes the years right off.

I JUST found out who he was and I would rather we didn't. Just let nature take it's course until he eventually pulls his whole channel down out of collective shame. I think I need to make my own Shame Bot now.

Now when he is just about to hit that fine line between "Hilarious break down" and "Depressing sad sack on the internet", let us know.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Want to share who this person is with the rest of the class?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Kim Justice posted:

I mentioned earlier in the thread before but Joe is kind of a dudebro when it comes to gaming and he gets a bit TOO into it at times but he's never malicious or a prick to people. Most antagonizing thing he does Corporate Commander which does drag but I really get his point with it. Anyways as you said he got a lot of respect from me for calling out people being misogynist assholes to Anita after her third video I believe and told people to knock it the gently caress off and that he was ashamed that some of them were his fans.

Calaveron posted:

Want to share who this person is with the rest of the class?

Google it and let it go. This way only leads to madness.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
From my understanding so far Sam Pepper made a 'prank' video where he grabbed random women in the street's asses and got rightfully called on it. He furiously backpedaled and tried to say "oh man it was just a social experiment guys! I was raising awareness of sexual abuse against men! Yeah...that's what I was doing....". Everyone realized it was total bullshit especially since he's done lovely pranks like that in the past and he's getting destroyed by everyone at this point.

It's just another in the long line of awful Youtube 'prank' superstars which includes the assholes who make 'PRANKS IN THE HOOD!' videos which are basically videos where dickheads do stupid stuff like grab peoples phones or pretend to fart on people or even just go up to people and ask to fight and then rightfully get smacked and then the comment section is fat white nerds screeching about "THOSE ANIMALS, GOD, IT WAS JUST A JOKE!"

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 27, 2014

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Aren't there also a number of sexual assault allegations?

radlum
May 13, 2013

Violet_Sky posted:

Todd is all about that bass, about that bass, no treble.

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/all-about-that-bass-by-meghan-trainor-a-pop-song-review-7037528

I didn't know about Ke$ha's eating disorder. :smith:

I'am a little late to this, but I'm surprised that the song isn't about dubstep. First time it came up on the radio I heard the chorus and assumed it was about dubstep and changed the station.

I like when Todd overanalyzes songs that try to say something. Dumb party music, I expect it to be dumb, but suppossedly "deep" or "positive" songs do deserve to be checked out for dumb lyrics.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Didn't Sam Pepper also do blackface? I honestly can't even think of why someone would do that. :stare:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Scorched Spitz posted:

Aren't there also a number of sexual assault allegations?

Well running up and grabbing random women's asses is sexual assault in and of itself, so I'd imagine yes

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

Didn't Sam Pepper also do blackface? I honestly can't even think of why someone would do that. :stare:

That was actually Shane Dawson, another one of the same ilk who does sketches and such (I think he was using it to play Chris Brown or something?). He made an apology video for it which apparently was one of those fairly typical "good guy" apologies so bleh.

The one thing about the whole Sam Pepper deal that was quite encouraging was how quickly the backlash happened, to be honest - and it was headed by other big Youtubers, calling Sam out for his poo poo. Laci Green probably deserves a special mention for starting the open letter, but plenty others like Tyler Oakley, Dan @ NerdCubed, Grace Helbig, Hannah Hart etc. spread it too, along with many others most of us haven't heard of but have over 1m subscribers and such. Of course this was before the whole thing started going right down into the poo poo, but once you start peeling...upshot of all this is that he got dropped from his network, dropped from pretty much all collabs he was a part of (I think he was part of Youtubers React, in particular?), dropped from VidCon, his RATINGS ARE DROPPING right across the board, and a police report's filed on him now to boot. Just search Sam Pepper on Youtube and look at the first page...

Anyhoo, Laci made a good video summing everything up which is probably the best way to go if you're interested in more. This also details some of the sexual assault allegations against Sam Pepper (They're kinda sick, so watch out) as well as putting cases on a lot of other Youtube pranksters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9qVaMhnJB8

As for Sam, we're kinda starting to head into Superpsyguy territory here - dude is hosed. Maybe he could get a deal with Zoomin.TV or something.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 27, 2014

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The Pepper thing felt different to me for two (well, two and a half) reasons:

- The 'prank video' of him groping women were friends of his who were in on the bit the entire time
- Evidently he made the same video with him groping guys (also men who were in on the bit) but everyone treated it as a joke and/or didn't get everyone upset
- Upon the reveal of the above two things, everyone who took the outraged-by-the-first-video perspective and/or the lauged-at-the-second-video perspective decided to think ":tinfoil: Clearly he's lying and made it all up despite no evidence to that effect!" instead of "Well gently caress, this skeevy motherfucker played me for a fool."

Dudes a skeev of the highest order, and I know I sound like an MRA when saying this, but I liked how he exposed how we all say "sexual harassment is wrong no matter what", but it turns out people'll gladly laugh their rear end off at some forms of harassment.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im glad

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

- The 'prank video' of him groping women were friends of his who were in on the bit the entire time
- Evidently he made the same video with him groping guys (also men who were in on the bit) but everyone treated it as a joke and/or didn't get everyone upset
- Upon the reveal of the above two things, everyone who took the outraged-by-the-first-video perspective and/or the lauged-at-the-second-video perspective decided to think ":tinfoil: Clearly he's lying and made it all up despite no evidence to that effect!" instead of "Well gently caress, this skeevy motherfucker played me for a fool."

Dudes a skeev of the highest order, and I know I sound like an MRA when saying this, but I liked how he exposed how we all say "sexual harassment is wrong no matter what", but it turns out people'll gladly laugh their rear end off at some forms of harassment.

Kat Blaque made a pretty good point regarding this, which I'll share: This sort of thing, saying "Men can be victims of sexual harassment too!!!" really doesn't help anyone. All it's really doing is using those victims as an arguing point, nothing more - it's never actually dealing with the problem. There's nothing here that suggests Sam Pepper actually cares about male victims of sexual assault beyond that. Sexual violence against men is terrible, and it is a problem - yes, absolutely. There's nobody who doesn't think that, but why does it only ever come up when people rise up looking for a debate against people who are highlighting sexual violence against women? Sam Pepper's vids are more outwardly damaging towards women, but they damage men too by continuing to paint them as uber-masculine*, sex-crazed beings for whom this is all a game - and that image does a lot to shut out male victims of sexual violence and make them silent.

And of course, it's kind of the same thing as that Emma Watson hoax website a few days back - if you have to take part in harassment to prove your point, then you're really, REALLY not helping - you're just doing more damage. You don't need to do that at all.

*Yes, I am aware that I just described Sam loving Pepper as uber-masculine.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

As for Sam, we're kinda starting to head into Superpsyguy territory here - dude is hosed. Maybe he could get a deal with Zoomin.TV or something.

Actually, this was one I had only found out recently, what happened with this guy? I liked bastardized stuff back when I was younger and hadn't seen anything by him in ages.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

Actually, this was one I had only found out recently, what happened with this guy? I liked bastardized stuff back when I was younger and hadn't seen anything by him in ages.

Hoooooooo boy. Well, this is one we probably shouldn't speak about too much as it's problematic to the nth degree, but here's a link to the abuse masterpost: http://superpsyguy-callout.tumblr.com/post/88927871113/psyguy-abuse-masterpost

The tl;dr is that he (along with CrikeyDave, who I believe is his Mike Matei?) groomed a whole bunch of his teenage fans, had off/on relationships with them, committed quite a lot of mental abuse in these relationships and so on - played them on a string, dumped them/rekindled them as and when he wanted to, made threats against them and so on and so on. As a result of this, he basically disappeared from the Internet and purged all of his accounts. I imagine that the masterpost is quite intimidating so it's probably a good idea to start with this video here, LP'er/Goon DJB talking to triplewipe45, one of the abuse victims:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9IewbI5Vms

That's one account, and there's several more highly detailed ones if you go through the masterpost. Still, it's probably best to dash this topic.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

Hoooooooo boy. Well, this is one we probably shouldn't speak about too much as it's problematic to the nth degree, but here's a link to the abuse masterpost: http://superpsyguy-callout.tumblr.com/post/88927871113/psyguy-abuse-masterpost

The tl;dr is that he (along with CrikeyDave, who I believe is his Mike Matei?) groomed a whole bunch of his teenage fans, had off/on relationships with them, committed quite a lot of mental abuse in these relationships and so on - played them on a string, dumped them/rekindled them as and when he wanted to, made threats against them and so on and so on. As a result of this, he basically disappeared from the Internet and purged all of his accounts. I imagine that the masterpost is quite intimidating so it's probably a good idea to start with this video here, LP'er/Goon DJB talking to triplewipe45, one of the abuse victims:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9IewbI5Vms

That's one account, and there's several more highly detailed ones if you go through the masterpost. Still, it's probably best to dash this topic.

Well. Uh.

Guess it's good in a way he kind of disappeared inasmuch what I watch then, although I doubt any attachment to material he made (which was mostly mediocre anyway, looking back) would have kept me through this.

E: WOW yeah, I don't think it's said enough. gently caress this guy. I suppose either due to my own traumas or lack thereof it's not too disaffecting to read, but Jesus gently caress is it ever a rage reading the poo poo he's pulled.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 27, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

MisterBibs posted:

If you really and truly believe this was a 'social experiment' from the start and not him backpedaling hardcore then I have no idea what to think man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLu3hPyOFE Was his sick :smug: burn on 'insta-whores' a social experiment too?

He's a poo poo head who got called on it and is backpedaling in order to make himself look better.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

If you really and truly believe this was a 'social experiment' from the start and not him backpedaling hardcore then I have no idea what to think man.

You can think "MisterBibs is a weapons-grade moron," because that's what he is.

Internet-personality drama is a special breed of unpleasant.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of drama, a meet-up at Disneyland turned into a musical comparison of different movie versions of Beauty and the Beast is one of the goofiest ideas anyone could come up with and I'm glad I lived to witness it, all three parts.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

quakster posted:

Speaking of drama, a meet-up at Disneyland turned into a musical comparison of different movie versions of Beauty and the Beast is one of the goofiest ideas anyone could come up with and I'm glad I lived to witness it, all three parts.

It was so great! It was so great. Even the arguments presented for and against both films were great, and I am normally so deep in Kyle's camp re: artistic expression that I patrol the borders of his camp with rifle in hand for camp-king and camp-country.

I saw Cocteau's version before as well (for a French class, like most people) and remember a lot of the more iconic shots, but it was nice to have my memory refreshed on the stuff I'd missed.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
Part 2 of Half in the Bag's movie catch-up is out: http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-2014-movie-catch-up-part-2/

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Did we ever get a solid reason as to why Welshy ended up leaving TGWTG and internet videos in general? It really sucks since I wanted to see the end of his Saw series and his promised Halloween series.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And his Bond series that never got off the ground.

Love the dude and wish he'd come back but man oh man did he make some promises he couldn't keep.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

Did we ever get a solid reason as to why Welshy ended up leaving TGWTG and internet videos in general? It really sucks since I wanted to see the end of his Saw series and his promised Halloween series.

His first goodbye video was definitely depression related going by what he said in the second one. For the second one, he's found stable work somewhere and blip had delisted him due to inactivity. He's just moved on though he's also said he doesn't mind doing cameos and crossovers still.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Blip thing probably convinced him to quit.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Ghostpilot posted:

Given his history, it's gotten to the point where anyone will believe anything someone says about Spoony.

After Michael Jackson died Spoony proclaimed himself the new king of pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DStecks posted:

After Michael Jackson died Spoony proclaimed himself the new king of pop.

Ugh, just spoil the joke. Did he actually say this because a lot of me genuinely believes it and I really, really don't want to go digging through his twitter.

• Locked thread