Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

CrashCat posted:

I'm absolutely willing to sacrifice watching five minutes of exploding beds for Notch size donations. It wasn't that painful to see, really.

Then I'm sure you'll be excited to note that the estimate for this year's edition of Minecraft is 2 hours!

How the hell do you cut Vanquish that run is so balls to the wall and he does it one handed (he does everything one handed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

E-Tap posted:

I think you answered your own question, if you switch around the order of those two lines. I really miss the good old days back when the only drama this thread wouldn't shut up about was JMan crying at a marathon, which he's definitely not been the only one to do so.

Remember the video of JMan getting slapped by his mom because he got mad at GBA Rayman? :laugh:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

TMR is trying to play Battletoads blindfolded. :stare:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I got linked to an Early Ultra Hammer video for Paper Mario TTYD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28z7IucO-Rw

Can someone more familiar with the event triggers and stuff explain to me what this means for sequence breaking? Would this actually allow you to skip from mid Ch2 to Ch7?

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Alteisen posted:

A shame Vanquish and God Hand didn't make it again. :smith:

Aw, for real? Vanquish didn't make round two? That's a bummer. :( Both the run and hc are awesome, and I was really looking forward to seeing it at a big event. HC suffers from a medical condition where he doesn't have great use of the right side of his body, and so logically he picked up a super fast-paced and intense shooter to run and does it one-handed.

Everybody be sure to watch his Vanquish tomorrow during JRTA. It's really cool.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SeXReX posted:

Then I'm sure you'll be excited to note that the estimate for this year's edition of Minecraft is 2 hours!
I wonder if they asked them to do a longer run intentionally then :tinfoil:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

ArfJason posted:

I caught out the corner of my eye Tetris: the grandmaster Demonstration run and I'm like gently caress yes

This is supposed to be really cool, and I don't want to watch any footage to jinx it for me.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BloodWulfe posted:

Aw, for real? Vanquish didn't make round two? That's a bummer. :( Both the run and hc are awesome, and I was really looking forward to seeing it at a big event. HC suffers from a medical condition where he doesn't have great use of the right side of his body, and so logically he picked up a super fast-paced and intense shooter to run and does it one-handed.

Everybody be sure to watch his Vanquish tomorrow during JRTA. It's really cool.

One of the few times I hope someone drops so he can make it in.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Can someone more familiar with the event triggers and stuff explain to me what this means for sequence breaking? Would this actually allow you to skip from mid Ch2 to Ch7?

My memory of the game is vague, but I think there's an Ultra Hammer block that prevents you from accessing the teleport to the moon base. If you got that, you'd skip to near the end of Chapter 7. I don't know if you'd be able to get all the key cards, though.

However, none of this really matters right now, since there's no way a human is going to do this until a better setup is found. Looks like you have to stand at the absolute edge of a platform and walk perfectly straight to get it to work.

Sabby23
Nov 10, 2010

Stay fresh!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

To add and clarify some things dpbjinc said, it actually wouldn't be that huge of a skip. There isn't an ultra hammer block in the way of the teleport to chapter 7, just the locked door. The problem is even if there was a way to get to that teleport early, you can't use the elevator in the xnaut fortress without the key cards so you couldn't get to the end of ch7. You also need pretty much every partner in the game to get through ch8, so while you would be able to skip some things within chapters, you can't really completely skip any no matter what. My random guess at an overall time save would be somewhere in the 30-45 minute range mostly because you wouldn't have to get Ms. Mowz anymore.

Also like he said the trick is pretty much impossible as it stands right now anyway. I've been able to get the first half in real time that gets Mario onto that seam, but getting from the seam to the ultra hammer chest is the part I found to be pretty much impossible real time and I couldn't even get close with frame advance on dolphin.

Basically TTYD fights against any chance of a huge break because of ch8 using most of the partners in one way or another, and Yoshi being required to get to ch4 at all. The funny part is because of the Doopliss thing in ch4, if you did skip Yoshi the game would just give him to you at the end of ch4 when your partners return to you, but because of that gap you have to hover over to get to the ch4 pipe, you need Yoshi anyway.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

JRTA Marathon: http://www.twitch.tv/jrtamarathon
Schedule: http://bombch.us/nqV

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Someone donated 2k to the JRTA marathon with the message to "do the thing" and now there are weird noises and I have no idea what's happening

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Only a few hours in and they already met their $6,000 goal.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I feel like I'm turning into a speedrun rss feed (I swear I actually do run games) but

There's going to be a four way Chrono Trigger race tomorrow (Saturday) at 11AM PDT / 2PM EDT / 6PM GMT.

http://www.twitch.tv/puwexil

It's the bonus game race from the Final Fantasy Relay. Just like with the relay there will be color commentary throughout, it'll just be, y'know, a lot shorter. As an aside team Y Burn won the relay race, beating FFIV+V+VI in under 13 hours.

Also here's a YouTube link to the relay race in case you missed it or want to pop it on in the background or whatever.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Heck, Bloodwulfe, let's do speedrun chat. If you're running games, how are those runs coming along? Anything new/hype?

Edit: This was supposed to be for everyone, not me asking Bloodwulfe if he's really running games.

Studio fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 27, 2014

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A Stately Pleasure Dome Decree

These sorts of posts are hugely appreciated by speedrun lurkers like myself. I caught most of five but life/etc missed the rest.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Someone donated 2k to the JRTA marathon with the message to "do the thing" and now there are weird noises and I have no idea what's happening

Pretty nuts that they are not even a day into this thing and are already over the goal. I was actually worried about this not getting met, but I guess I was worried for nothing.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

BloodWulfe posted:

I feel like I'm turning into a speedrun rss feed
As someone who is also a partial-RSS feed for streams, I also appreciate it because there may be something cool happening on a stream I'm not watching!

Vakal posted:

Only a few hours in and they already met their $6,000 goal.
They changed the actual goal to $6,500 because of Paypal fees but still hit that shortly after. The rest of the donations are going toward Doctors Without Borders which is cool.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

goldjas posted:

Pretty nuts that they are not even a day into this thing and are already over the goal. I was actually worried about this not getting met, but I guess I was worried for nothing.

This marathon is really well-timed and has a lot of big support behind it so it's not too surprising. Usually the marathons with a large well-known community can hit a reasonable goal pretty well, but problems arise when there's marathon saturation. Think of the like 4-5 marathons with a speedrunning team/group for SGDQ (SRG4, Collect-A-Thon, MOTI, Fab Five, etc.). Even though SRG4 didn't take money it added to the event saturation. Still, they all hit their goals and got a lot of people to SGDQ.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

UraniumAnchor posted:

Right, I definitely don't have any issues with people uploading the videos without ads, but there's at least one channel that's gotten enough views on its videos (with ads!) that they've made probably thousands of dollars off of the marathon footage and they're most definitely not associated with us. That bothers me a lot, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

Does SDA not have the resources or manpower to upload recordings of the marathons to Youtube themselves? Or is it more of a legal risk what with Nintendo taking big Youtube ad money?

It's totally crappy that some no-name is making that much money off of SDA's charity drives. To play the devil's advocate though they're providing a great service; Youtube is super accessible compared to fishing for VODs or archive.org entries. I sometimes have this weird issue where an archive.org video will have an error and I need to start it again from the beginning and jump around to find where I left off. If SDA was interested in doing Youtube/Vimeo/blip.tv/etc uploads then I imagine they already would have. It's great that you guys are planning to upload it too in the future now that it's clear there could be money in it.

I'm not trying to be a smartass here and I absolutely love your high quality uploads UA.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
That MM9 race was incredible. Tied into Wily Capsule, Donguri got a total kick in the balls from RNG though.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Yeah that race was fantastic. We can only hope some of the races at AGDQ go that well!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The other day I checked to see if the guy whose wife STIV cheated with actually come back onto the internet and his last post is still the one right before SGDQ. Which, as you recall, was after a 400 hour Mario Kart marathon where they took in thousands of dollars from new subscribers. So they took all that money and completely fell off the grid without even an apology haha.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The other day I checked to see if the guy whose wife STIV cheated with actually come back onto the internet and his last post is still the one right before SGDQ. Which, as you recall, was after a 400 hour Mario Kart marathon where they took in thousands of dollars from new subscribers. So they took all that money and completely fell off the grid without even an apology haha.

"Sorry my wife cheated on me with like eight dudes"?

What the hell do they have to apologize for?

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

argondamn posted:

What the hell do they have to apologize for?

Taking in thousands of dollars from new subscribers and then disappearing.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Nippashish posted:

Taking in thousands of dollars from new subscribers and then disappearing.

They earned that from when they streamed for the better part of a month. Disappearing the next month for obvious reasons doesn't really warrant an apology.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Sabby23 posted:

To add and clarify some things dpbjinc said, it actually wouldn't be that huge of a skip. There isn't an ultra hammer block in the way of the teleport to chapter 7, just the locked door. The problem is even if there was a way to get to that teleport early, you can't use the elevator in the xnaut fortress without the key cards so you couldn't get to the end of ch7. You also need pretty much every partner in the game to get through ch8, so while you would be able to skip some things within chapters, you can't really completely skip any no matter what. My random guess at an overall time save would be somewhere in the 30-45 minute range mostly because you wouldn't have to get Ms. Mowz anymore.

Also like he said the trick is pretty much impossible as it stands right now anyway. I've been able to get the first half in real time that gets Mario onto that seam, but getting from the seam to the ultra hammer chest is the part I found to be pretty much impossible real time and I couldn't even get close with frame advance on dolphin.

Basically TTYD fights against any chance of a huge break because of ch8 using most of the partners in one way or another, and Yoshi being required to get to ch4 at all. The funny part is because of the Doopliss thing in ch4, if you did skip Yoshi the game would just give him to you at the end of ch4 when your partners return to you, but because of that gap you have to hover over to get to the ch4 pipe, you need Yoshi anyway.

I'm at least happy someone found a use for Flurrie Sliding. My one claim to speedrunning fame.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I thought that when we tested Ultra Hammer Early with the teleport cheat code, we could skip all of Ch3 by going backwards through it, and then some other thing which skips half of Ch4, Ch5 and Ch6. I swore somebody routed it. I remember talking to Medibisu about it on #pmario.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

For what it's worth, I appreciate the partial RSS feed.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Heran Bago posted:

Does SDA not have the resources or manpower to upload recordings of the marathons to Youtube themselves? Or is it more of a legal risk what with Nintendo taking big Youtube ad money?

It's totally crappy that some no-name is making that much money off of SDA's charity drives. To play the devil's advocate though they're providing a great service; Youtube is super accessible compared to fishing for VODs or archive.org entries. I sometimes have this weird issue where an archive.org video will have an error and I need to start it again from the beginning and jump around to find where I left off. If SDA was interested in doing Youtube/Vimeo/blip.tv/etc uploads then I imagine they already would have. It's great that you guys are planning to upload it too in the future now that it's clear there could be money in it.

I'm not trying to be a smartass here and I absolutely love your high quality uploads UA.

Uploading 160 videos isn't exactly trivial even if I have a script to automate a good portion of it, but hopefully the uploads should start soon. I gave up on people clearing the 360p encodes for me so now I'm spot checking them. There's a lot left so it'll still take me a while.

That and I think I'm going to run out of hard drive space before this is done.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Studio posted:

Heck, Bloodwulfe, let's do speedrun chat. If you're running games, how are those runs coming along? Anything new/hype?

Edit: This was supposed to be for everyone, not me asking Bloodwulfe if he's really running games.

I really wanna get good at Super Time Force Ultra but it's just too hard. I need to stick to even shittier lovely indie games that no one plays.

Sabby23
Nov 10, 2010

Stay fresh!

Suspicious Dish posted:

I thought that when we tested Ultra Hammer Early with the teleport cheat code, we could skip all of Ch3 by going backwards through it, and then some other thing which skips half of Ch4, Ch5 and Ch6. I swore somebody routed it. I remember talking to Medibisu about it on #pmario.

I don't remember anything like that, but then I'm more up to date with things that happen in pm64 than I am with ttyd. I do know that a route for ch3 with ultra hammer early would be really weird. Something like: use the skip at the start of the chapter that lets you get into the vent in Grubba's office to finish it without doing any of the fights, then after returning to Rogueport go right back to Glitzville, get to rank 10, and the game still gives you Yoshi. Then once you get him just leave and go to the thousand year door because you still have the crystal star from the chapter.

I'm not sure about anything in ch4, but a decent amount of ch5 and 6 are skipped as it stands right now(you don't even fight Cortez).

Also the only reason ultra hammer early is even possible is because for some reason flurry sliding moves you in a different direction in the Japanese version of the game. I think it's that English you move left/right, Japanese you move up/down. So if it ever becomes RTA possible it's Japanese only.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wait, really? I didn't realize that Japanese Flurrie Sliding was different. Who discovered that one?

Sabby23
Nov 10, 2010

Stay fresh!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Wait, really? I didn't realize that Japanese Flurrie Sliding was different. Who discovered that one?

Malleo and someone else I forget the name of. It really started happening because Almo and a few others got the Japanese version of the game and started running it because the mechanics and to a less extent the text made it a minute or 2 faster. Up to that point nobody really did any glitch hunting in the Japanese version.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SeXReX posted:

I really wanna get good at Super Time Force Ultra but it's just too hard. I need to stick to even shittier lovely indie games that no one plays.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

when's zelda 3?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I challenge this thread to run 2: http://www.hubolhubolhubol.com/index.php?id=2

First one to complete it in less than 10 minutes wins a no-prize.

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ

Gamma Nerd posted:

That MM9 race was incredible. Tied into Wily Capsule, Donguri got a total kick in the balls from RNG though.

Yeah I titled this vid this way for a reason http://www.twitch.tv/usedpizza/c/3132009

Race was a blast I love donguri

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

quakster posted:

I challenge this thread to run 2: http://www.hubolhubolhubol.com/index.php?id=2

First one to complete it in less than 10 minutes wins a no-prize.

I challenge this thread to run Red Entity http://woofycakes.itch.io/red-entity
anyone who can beat my time of 2:50 wins a reply by THE sexrex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

BloodWulfe posted:

You'll want to look for Yuffie Warp or YW+ runs specifically. It's only on the PC version of FFVII.

Kynos is the guy you want to check out, and he actually ran it during ESA this year. I think it was really well received, but to be honest I was preoccupied in the main room and forgot to ask anyone how it went afterwards like a jerk.

Here's his 2:35:15 WR run if you prefer that over the live event version.

e: his twitch account is https://www.twitch.tv/xerokynos

Yeah I was the one of the three people in the room for that run.

It's actually really good once you get past the rather dull first hour, though if you've played FF7 before you're sort of able to keep an internal countdown of "X minutes until Yuffie appears and the game falls apart at the seams". There's still encounter tricks and he still does stuff before then, it's just not as fun as the sheer brokenness of the warping that makes the game look like an arthouse flick.

Never thought I'd defend an RPG speedrun but here we are.

PS I was staring at a wall for the run because I had to use the donation reader's monitor to actually watch the game and there was no sound.

• Locked thread