Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Xenomrph posted:

I went ahead and blind-bought it because of you assholes. Oh well, you guys haven't steered me wrong yet, and buying Criterion movies makes me feel like I'm adding actual Good Cinema to my movie collection or some bullshit.

Incidentally I haven't seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy either, is it worth checking out?

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold is a fantastic buy at that price.

I know this is a months-old exchange, but I just watched "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold," and it really is superb. Anybody who says Richard Burton wasn't a good actor needs to watch this. (and obviously "Beckett" and "1984") It probably helps that playing a washed-up alcoholic wasn't exactly a stretch for him though.:laugh:

I'm a huge John Le Carre fan, and the film was a great adaptation of the book. Surprisingly faithful, although the movie changes the name of the female lead. The portrayal of Mundt and Fielder were spot-on. I think my only complaint is that Smiley doesn't come off as interesting as he should, but then again, "Tinker, Tailor" hadn't even been written at the time the movie came out.

On the topic of the "Tinker, Tailor" movie, it's easily one of my favorite spy movies of all time. Maybe my favorite. I even like it better than the old miniseries, although I love that one too. Gary Oldman's performance is absolutely transcendent. I don't think I've ever seen an actor do so much with so little, in terms of dialogue. He manages to capture a degree of sadness and internalized anger with Smiley that not even Alec Guinness managed in the miniseries. It's impossible to match a performance of that caliber, but Benedict Cumberbatch, Colin Firth, Mark Strong, John Hurt, and Tom Hardy all come really, really close.

In all honesty, while "The Artist" was definitely a good movie, the fact that Jean Dujardin beat Oldman for the "Best Actor" Oscar was a loving crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The TTSS movie is sublime. One of my favourite movies of this decade, and absolutely one of the most well-shot. It's dense as gently caress though, your attention can't wander at almost any point.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
The TCM shop is having a sale on Criterion films. Some just as good as the Barnes and Nobles/Flash sales, some not. If those sales aren't enough for you, her you go.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

The TCM shop is having a sale on Criterion films. Some just as good as the Barnes and Nobles/Flash sales, some not. If those sales aren't enough for you, her you go.

Heads up to folks: They (allegedly) have The Small Back Room in stock which is out of print.

http://shop.tcm.com/the-small-back-room-the-criterion-collection-dvd/detail.php?p=516742&v=tcm_sale

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I've never heard of that site, is it reputable?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Lord Krangdar posted:

I've never heard of that site, is it reputable?
It's the store for Turner Classic Movies, the best network in America. So yes, it is reputable.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Fuuuck I don't have a lot of money to spend but I need Nashville so bad.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

gently caress it, October is coming soon and I got paid friday so I sprung for the When Horror Came to Shochiku set and House.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

If you use the code sorry30 (and pay with credit card) you can get an additional 30% off of the 50% off price.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 24, 2014

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

GonSmithe posted:

If you use the code sorry30 (and pay with credit card) you can get an additional 30% off of the 50% off price.

Seems like this works on everything in the cart, so there are quite a few Criterion Blus that are $13.29 each.

Edit: That's probably exactly what you meant; I thought you were talking about just The Small Back Room. D'oh!

Cloks fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 24, 2014

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Cloks posted:

Seems like this works on everything in the cart, so there are quite a few Criterion Blus that are $13.29 each.

Edit: That's probably exactly what you meant; I thought you were talking about just The Small Back Room. D'oh!

I actually quoted the wrong post :v:

I meant to quote the sale post.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Cloks posted:

:stare: Oh God I do not need this happening right now. However I'll be damned if I'm passing on Red River for $22 shipped

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 24, 2014

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Do they not have Y Tu Mama Tambien on the TCM store? I've been looking for it but don't see it. :(

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I've just checked for myself and the rumors are true: there's a bungled optical on Eraserhead. At around 65 minutes, when Henry meets The Lady in the Radiator, the screen is supposed to flare into white. Instead it cuts to black. It may sound like a tiny thing, but it really bums me out. This is one of my favorite films, I've seen it probably 20 times. Those few seconds are going to feel wrong every time I see it. I hope they fix it and offer a replacement disc.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

FitFortDanga posted:

I've just checked for myself and the rumors are true: there's a bungled optical on Eraserhead. At around 65 minutes, when Henry meets The Lady in the Radiator, the screen is supposed to flare into white. Instead it cuts to black. It may sound like a tiny thing, but it really bums me out. This is one of my favorite films, I've seen it probably 20 times. Those few seconds are going to feel wrong every time I see it. I hope they fix it and offer a replacement disc.

I've heard about this; apparently they're working on it and the film should be safe to buy in a 'few weeks.' They're also doing replacements, with the same time frame.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Do they really need to charge $26 shipping costs to Canada?? Still, the Jacques Demy set + the Lady from Shanghai blu-ray for $102 isn't all that bad..

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

GonSmithe posted:

Jumped the gently caress on this and got Eraserhead, Videodrome, Haxan, the Cassavetes box, and that set with Easy Rider, Head, Last Picture Show and a couple others. :shepspends:

Slate Action posted:

I've heard about this; apparently they're working on it and the film should be safe to buy in a 'few weeks.' They're also doing replacements, with the same time frame.

Looks like I spoke too soon. How is Criterion's replacement rigmarole in everyone's experience? Pretty painless/expedient?

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

This is awesome, just grabbed Godzilla and Thief and blind-bought Nashville for less than $14 a pop.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Slate Action posted:

I think the Eraserheads are out of stock at TCM. Do you think they'll restock with the new edition and send those out?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

But that's the Director Approved edition!

I think this is how we find out that Lynch is the new George Lucas, slowly retooling all his most beloved films years after year.
The "fixed" discs will have CGI worms in place of the clay ones, and Uncle Kracker will be providing a new version of 'In Heaven.'

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rusty Staub posted:

But that's the Director Approved edition!

I think this is how we find out that Lynch is the new George Lucas, slowly retooling all his most beloved films years after year.
The "fixed" discs will have CGI worms in place of the clay ones, and Uncle Kracker will be providing a new version of 'In Heaven.'

They are fixing it, so it was probably a glitch. Lynch is pretty strict about keeping his films as-is for the most part.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Ineffiable posted:

I think the Eraserheads are out of stock at TCM. Do you think they'll restock with the new edition and send those out?

I can't be completely sure; all I know is that people that have been emailing Criterion about the issue have been getting a response email with the line "When the replacement discs are available in a couple of weeks we'll send you the correct version."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
As I came to understand it the Paths of Glory had severe cropping issues. I don't want to come off all contrarian and knock Criterion/Janus's great track record, but it does open the question about how classic films are presented with the advancement of home video technology, especially with companies that gain reputations for presenting 'definitive' editions.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If they're acknowledging the problem and sending out replacement discs for free, I don't really think it's a big deal. Things happen, sometimes.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Eraserhead replacement info

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

K. Waste posted:

As I came to understand it the Paths of Glory had severe cropping issues. I don't want to come off all contrarian and knock Criterion/Janus's great track record, but it does open the question about how classic films are presented with the advancement of home video technology, especially with companies that gain reputations for presenting 'definitive' editions.

Not at all. Paths of Glory was shot for 1.85:1 and is opened up slightly to 1.66:1 on Blu. You are seeing as much as you would see in a theater in 1957.

All Kubrick films on blu are in their theatrical aspect ratios or close enough (slightly opened or slightly cropped) and I hope to God this doesn't start another aspect ratio debacle.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 25, 2014

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Okay, so I ended up picking up the 6 Blus that were 50-52% off that I didn't already have - with the coupon code, they were about 10-13 bucks:

Harold and Maude
Riot in Cell Block 11
Island of Lost Souls
The Uninvited
Il Sorpasso
The Great Beauty

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How much does TCM charge for shipping? I'm super close to buying Judex.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Egbert Souse posted:

Not at all. Paths of Glory was shot for 1.85:1 and is opened up slightly to 1.66:1 on Blu. You are seeing as much as you would see in a theater in 1957.

All Kubrick films on blu are in their theatrical aspect ratios or close enough (slightly opened or slightly cropped) and I hope to God this doesn't start another aspect ratio debacle.

Yeah, you're right. Even the review/comparison I was thinking of turned out to point out that previous DVDs had actually used an 'open matte' version of the film with more information.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Detective No. 27 posted:

How much does TCM charge for shipping? I'm super close to buying Judex.

I only got charged like 6 bucks for 3 blu-rays and an eclipse DVD pack and that was before applying discount coupons.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Majorian posted:

Anybody who says Richard Burton wasn't a good actor needs to watch this.
Anybody who says Richard Burton wasn't a good actor can be pretty easily ignored for having silly opinions that aren't worth listening to.

K. Waste posted:

They've kind of addressed this with both the Leopard (English and Italian tracks) and On the Waterfront (three different aspect ratios). There is no real reason to assume they're not doing their best to address one of the most notoriously hard to please yet sycophantic audiences* that any company has ever collected.

*not an insult.

robix smash fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 25, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Picked up Eraserhead, Macbeth, Brazil, and The Spy Who Came In From The Cold. I will most likely go in for another round tomorrow.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Literally grabbed A Hard Day's Night and 12 Angry Men just last night. I was thinking about For All Mankind, but these sales are basically the only way I can buy these great titles with relative consistency, so I figured I'd just take the cheaper options and wait for the next B&N or Amazon sale to roll around.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

robix smash posted:

They've kind of addressed this with both the Leopard (English and Italian tracks) and On the Waterfront (three different aspect ratios). There is no real reason to assume they're not doing their best to address one of the most notoriously hard to please yet sycophantic audiences* that any company has ever collected.

*not an insult.

On the Waterfront was overkill considering it was started well after widescreen was in use (Columbia started in May '53 and OTW filmed from November '53 to January '54). I guess it's OK for scholars, but obnoxious that it costs $5 more so Jeffrey Wells can get his Academy Ratio boner.

The dubs are often cool. The English track for Rashmon is so awkward, it's neat they included it. And I was surprised how accurate the dub for The Seventh Seal was.

edit: DVD Beaver has La Dolce Vita up:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_63/la_dolce_vita_blu-ray.htm

I've wanted to see this for a while, but I'm glad I waited until after it was put on Blu. Looks like another great B&W classic.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 27, 2014

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Has anyone ordered from TCM before? My movies have been processing since I ordered them and I'd like to know how long the wait is.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The new art for The Night Porter has been released, if anyone is interested. (Borderline NSFW?)

Also a lot of people were saying that there would be a flash sale today, and it looks like a lot of people were wrong.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Slate Action posted:

Also a lot of people were saying that there would be a flash sale today, and it looks like a lot of people were wrong.

It's generally during this time of the month (end of September/beginning of October) so I'd imagine it'd be coming within the next week or so.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Apparently this is Don't Look Now.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I sure hope that's true!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I'm going to go out on a limb and say there won't be a flash sale this month. Maybe they're overwhelmed dealing with the defective disk/Eraserhead replacements.

e: see next post.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 9, 2014