Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Renditious posted:

This section is definitely my favorite part of the game. I've always loved the anime style tournament / gearing up to fight in said tournament sections in games and shows, no matter how cheesy they can get.

I have to admit though, something about Jean's new uniform always seemed a little off to me. Why does it have a giant zebra scarf?

As for Nash talk, he's kind of useful for the group thunder spell he has in the beginning for clearing enemy groups, but otherwise crap until he starts getting the higher level lightning spells that have already been mentioned.

I usually dislike anime tournament arcs, but I liked Lunar 2's because Jean rules, the entire arc is short, and the actual tournament is pretty funny if you read the dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

closeted republican posted:

I usually dislike anime tournament arcs, but I liked Lunar 2's because Jean rules, the entire arc is short, and the actual tournament is pretty funny if you read the dialogue.

That "short" part is key; tournaments that drag on and on and on just to "build tension" are so bad.

Ones which make you do mandatory button pushing/repetitive dialogue/filler between every fight just to slow things down are double-the-worst.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
There's a tournament in Trails in the Sky FC which is pretty good. You fight only three battles, and they're separated by other plot stuff, and give you time to do a bit of grinding if you choose. One of the tournament battles is probably one of the most fun in the entire game, in fact.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Storywise that's one of the best JRPGs I've ever seen, and maybe actually the best. The tournament scene is ridiculously well-executed.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Psion posted:

That "short" part is key; tournaments that drag on and on and on just to "build tension" are so bad.

Ones which make you do mandatory button pushing/repetitive dialogue/filler between every fight just to slow things down are double-the-worst.
Would you rate them turning out to be unwinnable, comparable to Satan's rear end in a top hat?

janusmaxwell
Oct 15, 2012

The worlds most lovably psychotic leprechaun.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Would you rate them turning out to be unwinnable, comparable to Satan's rear end in a top hat?

Yeah, there's been an LP about a game that has NO tournament arcs...but has been an abject failure on every level that never let's the players actually win important plot battles. Always cutscene where "Haha! All your effort was meaningless!"

On the case of decent tournaments, Star Ocean 3 had a very decent Tournament arc that only had battle that was "unwinnable" and it was mostly to showcase how this semi-plot relevant angst-y master swordsman was exactly that. My only complaint was that if the character who you control in the tournament lost any battle before the "final showdown" the game continued, but you lost your chance at a sword, which would eventually become the ultimate weapon for that character. And it's the only way to get that ultimate poo poo-kicker sword.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Scalding Coffee posted:

I don't know if I'd go that far but yes, unwinnable tournaments are terrible too. Extra bonus terrible points if they make you fight like five qualifying rounds to get owned by an unwinnable boss. I can't think of any examples of that off hand, but I'm sure some rear end in a top hat somewhere has done it.

Similarly, enemies that only show up in cutscenes to screw you and then the first time you actually get to fight them, they're in an unwinnable fight? Also the worst!

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Dude, Psion, you're describing Star Ocean 2.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hah, really? Well then. I'll just put SO2 on my "never play this" list. Right next to Crowetron's next LP, The Third Birthday. :getin:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Psion posted:

Hah, really? Well then. I'll just put SO2 on my "never play this" list. Right next to Crowetron's next LP, The Third Birthday. :getin:

Star Ocean 2 is interesting because it's probably one of the most flawed JRPGs ever that's still worth a run through. The graphics, music and pacing are all terrible, but the voice acting has a sort of fun campiness too it and the crafting system is really interesting.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Yeah, that bit Janusmaxwell was talking about actually happens in SO2, not 3.

Still, could be worse, as the tournament arc is pretty short and the arena that shows up later is mostly/entirely optional.

I'd bring up the tournament arcs in the .hack//GU series, but it's been so long since I've played it that I can't recall much outside of them taking up big chunks of each game, and the cutscenes always showing you having a hard time of things even if you're steamrolling the competition.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You are all wrong, this is the best JRPG fighting tournament. (But that's mostly because the game's combat mechanics are pretty boss.) I see we're finally getting back to the part of the Lunar I remember, too!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Psion posted:

What have I done to wrong you, Psion?

No, but for real though, assuming I'm not totally burnt out on LPing altogether once this is done, I did recently discover that I still own all of the Onimusha games...

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Onimusha 4: Dawn of Dreams is a good romp in co-op. More people should do that.

Going through the Dark Realms with both characters chain-issening everything on screen is just an experience.

Though I may be biased since I used the Guile costume and SONIC BOOM'd everything.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 24, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Crowetron posted:

What have I done to wrong you, Psion?

Made the mistake of doing quality Parasite Eve/PE2 LPs. that'll teach you! :v:

So far as burnout goes, I'm a big fan of doing one LP about every six years to avoid that problem. It's a solid strategy that's worked well so far. See you in 2019!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Psion posted:

I don't know if I'd go that far but yes, unwinnable tournaments are terrible too. Extra bonus terrible points if they make you fight like five qualifying rounds to get owned by an unwinnable boss. I can't think of any examples of that off hand, but I'm sure some rear end in a top hat somewhere has done it.

Similarly, enemies that only show up in cutscenes to screw you and then the first time you actually get to fight them, they're in an unwinnable fight? Also the worst!
Got really pissed off Dias is a recruitable character with uber powers and his attacks are five times faster, then he joins you and his stats are poo poo and his attacks take forever. I understand the whole becoming shells of their former selves when they join you, but making them fight differently as well was needless bullshit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

There's a tournament in Trails in the Sky FC which is pretty good. You fight only three battles, and they're separated by other plot stuff, and give you time to do a bit of grinding if you choose. One of the tournament battles is probably one of the most fun in the entire game, in fact.
The tournament in Trails is also pretty cool because you get to see the mysterious antagonist in combat without actually fighting him by watching a match he's in, which gets across how much of a badass he is in a way that isn't a dumb cutscene (you actually see the fight in-game) or an unwinnable fight.

It even serves a gameplay purpose of letting you see how he fights before your own fight with him. Notably the chumps he's fighting do get a few licks in and you can tell he actually doesn't have much HP.

Man, Trails in the Sky was awesome.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 24, 2014

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Rangpur posted:

You are all wrong, this is the best JRPG fighting tournament. (But that's mostly because the game's combat mechanics are pretty boss.)

I saw the title of the link and just laughed and laughed. I just barely missed that LP when it was ongoing and it made me sad, since that was one of the last things they did and it's just kinda amazing.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Holy gently caress I just archive binged and my god this is one good game. If this was made today, you'd be thrown down a hallway for 40+ hours and be forced to like completely unlikable characters. Love the LP and can't wait to see more.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Kemix posted:

you'd be thrown down a hallway for 40+ hours and be forced to like completely unlikable characters.

: Althena gave me this Focus, but how do I complete it?

janusmaxwell
Oct 15, 2012

The worlds most lovably psychotic leprechaun.

Unoriginal One posted:

Yeah, that bit Janusmaxwell was talking about actually happens in SO2, not 3.

Still, could be worse, as the tournament arc is pretty short and the arena that shows up later is mostly/entirely optional.

I'd bring up the tournament arcs in the .hack//GU series, but it's been so long since I've played it that I can't recall much outside of them taking up big chunks of each game, and the cutscenes always showing you having a hard time of things even if you're steamrolling the competition.

Yeah that was Star Ocean 2, I don't know why I put down 3 though...But SO2 was actually my first JRPG that I realized was such. My previous experiences were the Breath of Fire games for SNES and I had no idea there was a thing as "JRPG"

I have a soft place for that game in my heart alongside Suikoden 2 and Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

LJN92 posted:

: Althena gave me this Focus, but how do I complete it?

: I refuse to give up on Mauri, I won't let her become l'Cie!
: My mission takes precedence over your personal issues. You do not know what's right for this world!
: You don't understand! I promised to protect her! I won't go back on my word! I won't fail her!
: What you have said is irrelevant, you have already failed. I cannot permit you to interfere with my mission.
: You can't say things like that! I know what's best for Mauri! I won't be stopped!

: What are they doing over there?
: I have no idea but it looks mega-stupid.
: It is completely loving stupid.

: Your ideals are a threat to the very future of this world! I will not permit either of you to continue! Ronfar you may be my best friend but I will not hesitate to kill you if you continue along this calamitous path!
: I am going to do what's right and you can't stop me from marrying your sister!

: How did Leo even get here?
: None of this makes any sense.
: I would like to take this moment to remind everyone that these are hours of our lives we are never going to get back.

: How quaint! You think your measly heroics will have any chance at all! You cannot stop the tide that is already turning you can only be... swept away.
: We'll never give in to the likes of you!
: Hahaha, muah haha, MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

: Oh Althena, not Ghaleon too.
: Oh goddess, this is beyond salvageable now.
: Should we, like, leave them to it then?
: Oh yes, most definitely.
: I will regret nothing about this decision.
: Let's get out of here, no amount of silver is worth this.

: It appears we are being left behind.
: Woah! Hey guys wait up! We were just kidding!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

:golfclap:

God, this game. Glad this is still going.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if the scarf is supposed to be like a weapon? Grab somebody with a loop of it, throw them into a rock, sort of thing.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Glazius posted:

I wonder if the scarf is supposed to be like a weapon? Grab somebody with a loop of it, throw them into a rock, sort of thing.

Oh, I'm sure she could manage that. On average, Jean's outfit has 38 different articles she can kill you with.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Glazius posted:

: I am Master Lunar! Undefeated of the Blue!

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

: I am Master Lunar! Undefeated of the Blue!

Oh god, I'm watching that now on nights when I don't want to pay attention to hard. That sounds like Lunn's line, though. I think she's got more of a King of Hearts thing going on...

"This fan of mine glows with an awesome power! Its burning light is telling me to grasp victory! Burning Bee Dance!"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ddegenha posted:

Oh god, I'm watching that now on nights when I don't want to pay attention to hard. That sounds like Lunn's line, though.

Oh poo poo thats right.
But I was just remarking about the scarf post.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Now I have to rewrite the update to be all G Gundam jokes instead of Mortal Kombat!

For real, though, I started a new job this week, so I had a little trouble rearranging my time to play and record, but it's all sorted now. Update tomorrow, and in the meantime, please listen to this song for the next 24 hours.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Crowetron posted:

Now I have to rewrite the update to be all G Gundam jokes instead of Mortal Kombat!

For real, though, I started a new job this week, so I had a little trouble rearranging my time to play and record, but it's all sorted now. Update tomorrow, and in the meantime, please listen to this song for the next 24 hours.
I suppose Street Fighter jokes ARE way overplayed at this point. Then again, one could say the same of Mortal Kombat and G Gundam. You just can't win sometimes, so you might as well go full cliche.

: You must defeat Sheng Lunn to stand a chance!

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Bufuman posted:

I suppose Street Fighter jokes ARE way overplayed at this point. Then again, one could say the same of Mortal Kombat and G Gundam. You just can't win sometimes, so you might as well go full cliche.

: You must defeat Sheng Lunn to stand a chance!

You could always go with Guilty Gear. Or Tekken. Or King of Fighters. Virtua Fighter, even. If you're really desperate, Ergheiz existed, although I haven't played it in so long I'm not sure if they ever actually had pre- and post-fight quotes...

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Crowetron posted:

If this in fact happens, I will count it as up there with convincing the solo FF3 LP to use Lenin, Bukharin, and Trotsky as the names of the dead characters with Stalin as the sole survivor.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

SorataYuy posted:

You could always go with Guilty Gear. Or Tekken. Or King of Fighters. Virtua Fighter, even. If you're really desperate, Ergheiz existed, although I haven't played it in so long I'm not sure if they ever actually had pre- and post-fight quotes...

I'd advise against Guilty Gear. This cast is weird enough without one of the girls having a penis.

Yes I know Bridget isn't a tranny shut up

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Welp, a power surge just hit my house and I lost two hours of work on the update AND now my internet is out. Never seen the LP curse manifest as lightning before.

So I apologize for another brief delay, but I can't write an update on my phone, so we'll try again tomorrow.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Crowetron posted:

Welp, a power surge just hit my house and I lost two hours of work on the update AND now my internet is out. Never seen the LP curse manifest as lightning before.

So I apologize for another brief delay, but I can't write an update on my phone, so we'll try again tomorrow.

Good luck and godspeed. Been following this for awhile.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Crowetron posted:

That sucks, man. Hope to see you back soon.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
No probs, poo poo happens.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Today's update brought to you in DEFIANCE OF ZEUS HIMSELF!!!!!

Episode 53: Undefeated of the East

Last time, Jean got her mid-season upgrade and is ready to gently caress poo poo up!

: "I hope you are able to achieve what I could not, Jean. I hope you can make Lunn realize how much his quest for power has cost him."

Jean is a whole new fighter. Gone are her iron fans, now she uses claws and gloves to pummel foes into submission. She loses her long range attacks, but gains a third attack and a whole mess of extra damage. Plus, she can finally make use of her high mobility stats.

She also gets two new spells while keeping all her old ones! At this point in the game, it's really kind of a toss-up between her and Hiro for highest physical damage output.

Let's go kick some rear end.

The tournament is being held just south across the river, in a place wonderfully named "Zen Zone"

Music ~ The Tournament

Acceptable Alternative Tunes

That Goddess Statue will be the key to our success.

: "But spectators like you are not allowed at this tournament, by order of Wong-Lee. How sad! I would like to watch you vomit as you witness the carnage! Hee, hee, hee!"

: "You can keep it; don't touch me."

: "Jean, do you wanna clobber this guy, or should I bust out the hellfire?"

: "I don't want to risk disqualification."

: "I'll just have to beat him to death with the championship belt!"

Alright, let's scope out the competition.

These are the jokes, folks.

At least they're confident!

Oh, so these guys are from the "Severe Self-Inflicted Lacerations" school of martial arts.

Armadillo Fist is my wrestling name.

Oh jeez

I was really hoping "Bunny Karate" would be literal :(

Wolf-headed monster folk don't really pop up anywhere else in the series, so I guess these guys are just wearing pelts or something.

Actually, Ronnie, severing the carotid artery would be pretty effective as a fighting technique. Haven't you ever seen Road House?

Before we face The Man himself, let's scope out the fight shacks.

This is where the Cult is keeping the kids they're training. Although, I don't think the ZEN ZONE is the Cult's HQ, so I guess Lunn just brought a few kids along to torture in case he gets bored.

I would play a Platinum game starring Jean.

Left hut, last hut.

This guy was one of(?) Jean's teachers in the Cult. He showed up before. Kinda wish he had a unique sprite, though.

I have no idea why you would say that to an angry karate woman with a personal vendetta against you unless you are specifically trying to set her up for that comeback.

Let's go tell Lunn we're gonna wreck his poo poo.

He's so conversational about this. "Oh, hey archenemy, what's goin' on?"

: "I won't let you steal the souls of any more helpless children."

: "Such spirit, Jean! I don't think I have ever seen you so focused before. Perhaps you WILL win..."

: "I have brought a group of my most skilled Shadow Dragon students to this tournament. If you somehow manage to defeat them... which I quite highly doubt..."

Prepare to die, Shang Tsung!

Les dO THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS

: "I mean, Poe Sword is kinda the backbone of our every fight."

: "A fight to the death in an evil martial arts tournament? Heck yeah, I'm in!"

I feel like bringing divine healing powers into a tournament fight is kinda cheating. Kinda really cheating.

Plus, Lemina's magical artillery is a way better support than Ronnie's heals. Sonson never gets to the finals, it's all Magneto all the time, baby! ESPORTS

I have lost many, many matches of Marvel vs Capcom; I know what I am talking about.

sadhorns.avi

You can visit the Goddess Statue between each fight, so listen to Jean and go hard right out the gate.

ROUND ONE! FIGHT!

Music ~ Brave Warriors

Acceptable Alternative Tunes

Our first fight is against the Assassin's Fist school (although I think they got their name mixed up with the Wolf head guys). They're nothing to really worry about, but their damage can add up if you don't pay attention.

Let's try out Jean's new moves! Dopple Dance is a rather unique spell.

Dopple Dance summons a blue clone of Jean that floats around her and flickers (making it a pain in the rear end to screencap). At the end of every turn, it attacks a random target for roughly the same damage as Jean's basic attacks, but all at once instead of over three hits. It only lasts for three or four turns, but it's free damage and you should always have it up in boss fights.

Here's a good shot of the clone while Jean busts out a sweep kick.

Despite Ronfar getting KO'd by my own sloppy playing, there's really nothing to worry about in these early rounds.

Chill out, stretch a little, wipe the sweat and Dew drippings off your fight stick and come back ready to brawl!

: "How much of that fight did you spend facedown on the floor again?"

: "I had a leg cramp!"

Ominous Music?!

: "Ahhh...you...you have...won. Please...please...stop..."

: "Shut up! Fools like you are not allowed to speak in our presence!"

: "Holey moley!"

: "Oh Goddess, I'm gonna be sick."

: "I am not familiar with those particular organs, but I believe they should remain on the inside of the body."

: "The Dark Hadou..."

Dr. Klamp, Kung Fu assassin.

: "To be fair, Lunn did clearly say 'Finish Him'."

: "Huh. Y'know, I'm starting to rethink this whole 'tournament to the death' thing."

: "Really, Hiro?"

: "Nah, it's still pretty awesome."

NEXT TIME ON LET'S PLAY LUNAR 2:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really love how the shadow on the side of Lunn's face gets darker when he has his evil face on. I don't know why though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

• Locked thread