Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

My inner troll wants to portray this as what happened to Clan Wolverine/the Minnesota Tribe just to pop some grognard veins.

If you really want to pop grog veins, you'd name it something like Clan Lignite Kerensky, then align it with the Jade Falcons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

OB_Juan posted:

This (especially with his permission) would be the only thing that could get me to start c-billing up some clan mechs.

So maybe I'm missing something, but what do you mean by "(especially with his permission)"?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

Except you're probably not going to be blowing away a 150kph light with a 4xC-SRM6 adder as it'll be behind you before you can shoot it. Clan lights fill the same niche as IS mediums but with no armour. If you could bolt more armour to them to compensate for them being the same speed as a medium then great. As it is they're the only real weakness the clans have.

Uhh, adders don't turn like direwolves. They can keep any light in front of them perfectly fine. The only real advantage a faster light has is the ability to run away.
And the clans don't need to use lights for scouting when they have mediums that run at 150 kph.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dramicus posted:

Uhh, adders don't turn like direwolves. They can keep any light in front of them perfectly fine. The only real advantage a faster light has is the ability to run away.
And the clans don't need to use lights for scouting when they have mediums that run at 150 kph.

The Fenris doesn't look that great, but it does go 129 + speed tweak. Otherwise you're looking at the Stormcrow going 97.2 + speed tweak.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kazvall posted:

The Fenris doesn't look that great, but it does go 129 + speed tweak.

If you want a great medium, pilot the Stormcrow, which is basically a heavy that goes 107. The Fenris is gonna be a light hunter.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dramicus posted:

If you want a great medium, pilot the Stormcrow, which is basically a heavy that goes 107. The Fenris is gonna be a light hunter.

I have a feeling the Fenris will be severely limited by having that heavy engine on a 45 ton chassis, 12 engine heatsinks, and both endo/ferro to contend for weapon pod space.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

WarLocke posted:

So maybe I'm missing something, but what do you mean by "(especially with his permission)"?

Well, wouldn't want to base a clan on some guy's recording parodying another recording parodying the original recording without his permission, I guess? Unless that's you, in which case I am a jackass. That has been the case in the past.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kazvall posted:

I have a feeling the Fenris will be severely limited by having that heavy engine on a 45 ton chassis, 12 engine heatsinks, and both endo/ferro to contend for weapon pod space.

You can still do a triple srm-6 build with an energy in the ct (and clan can fit ppcs and large pulses in cts)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dramicus posted:

You can still do a triple srm-6 build with an energy in the ct (and clan can fit ppcs and large pulses in cts)

I can see how that build would make a nice, fast striker. Aiming srm's against lights might be hard.

E: Anders, would you be so kind as to promote someone that plays with goons to second in command? Being able to change the motd to include the mumble info might also be nice. Yes, we are all morons who play this game. That's a given at this point. A mathematical foundation of time and space. Help us morons out.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 27, 2014

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
SRMs are a giant shotgun, just shoot slightly ahead of their legs.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

OB_Juan posted:

Well, wouldn't want to base a clan on some guy's recording parodying another recording parodying the original recording without his permission, I guess? Unless that's you, in which case I am a jackass. That has been the case in the past.

You... You realize that the honey badger is an actual animal that literally exists, right? Like, that "honey badger don't care" thing is sort of his, but the animal pretty much is something anyone can refer to or talk about.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Clan lights certainly have their uses but fighting IS lights certainly is not one of them. Lone/isolated Kit foxes are free kills to a Jenner, you can run circles around them and blast away their legs before they even know what the gently caress.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah that's exactly true. I love finding kitfoxes for exactly that reason, especially ones that wander off away from the herd while stuck in an lrm or sniper daze.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

WarLocke posted:

e: Possibility of Clan Honey Badger splinter group for CW?

Oh God yes.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kazvall posted:

I can see how that build would make a nice, fast striker. Aiming srm's against lights might be hard.

E: Anders, would you be so kind as to promote someone that plays with goons to second in command? Being able to change the motd to include the mumble info might also be nice. Yes, we are all morons who play this game. That's a given at this point. A mathematical foundation of time and space. Help us morons out.

I'll talk to him about it. He's got a suicide pact with Chronojam, so you'll have to convince him too. Otherwise I think it's a no can do. He takes his suicide pacts very seriously.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Hey I like this game again.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

This is how this lance event has been shaping up

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Nerf J-pop

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So I'm playing around in Smurphy, messing around with the Kit Fox, and I came up with what might be a decent ECM/mop-up build. 3xERML, 2xMG, 2xAMS, ECM, 2xJJ. 14xDHS.

Basically you find yourself some bigger and badder mechs and shadow them, giving an ECM bubble and shooting down missiles. Use your ERMLs to poke at things, and when the brawl is on and internals start opening up you have the MGs to crit-seek with.

Smurphy link

Kind of feel like it's a relatively light loadout though. You could drop 3 DHS and swap to MPLs if you don't mind running hot. Or maybe lose DHS for a targeting computer? Not sure just how much those help.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Paramemetic posted:

You... You realize that the honey badger is an actual animal that literally exists, right? Like, that "honey badger don't care" thing is sort of his, but the animal pretty much is something anyone can refer to or talk about.

Right. Yes. I am aware of the honey badger. But that is a cool audio thing that could be used or maybe linked to that would make CHB funnier. If you wanted to use that specific audio thing you'd want to ask him. But if you just want to call it Clan Honey Badger, that would also be cool.

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.
Anders has changed the MoTD to include mumble info. Please use the new goonrathi server if you are not using it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

WarLocke posted:

So I'm playing around in Smurphy, messing around with the Kit Fox, and I came up with what might be a decent ECM/mop-up build. 3xERML, 2xMG, 2xAMS, ECM, 2xJJ. 14xDHS.

Basically you find yourself some bigger and badder mechs and shadow them, giving an ECM bubble and shooting down missiles. Use your ERMLs to poke at things, and when the brawl is on and internals start opening up you have the MGs to crit-seek with.

Smurphy link

Kind of feel like it's a relatively light loadout though. You could drop 3 DHS and swap to MPLs if you don't mind running hot. Or maybe lose DHS for a targeting computer? Not sure just how much those help.

That's way too much MG ammo for two of them. Drop a ton for two more JJs, or a DHS.

That said, I am really enjoying http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=176&l=f7320c91092908912239b0b6b08164dfa6963d74 . Normally your job in an ECM mech is to sit back being a useless little poo poo while helping your teammates by just sorta walking around slowly with them and hoping a fight breaks out in range of your weapons while some of them are still alive. Well, since it's fragile and slow the Kitfox is great at sitting back with teammates ambling around, but now you're actually, you know, doing damage all match long while you provide an ECM safety blanket. You can dump the medium laser for a ton more ammo, that's up to you.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

aniviron posted:

That's way too much MG ammo for two of them. Drop a ton for two more JJs, or a DHS.

Yeah, I ended up going with this. 1t of MG ammo, 2.5t of AMS ammo, 14xDHS, uses every crit slot (it doesn't want to save with the RA actuators selected for some reason).

Seems to do surprisingly well, at least until being a 30-ton paper-armored mech gets me dead.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
So are there any more mechs with a layout like the Shadowhawk? First I thought that, while it performed better that my beloved Hunchback, I wouldn't really like it. Primarily cause it's so slender, tall and sleak and does not look at all like an angry, drunk dwarf. But I really fell in love with those muzzle flashes blinding my cockpit view with every round. I love it, it boosts my confidence of doing damage with those smaller calibre ACs.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The Kit Fox's side torso ballistic hardpoints are right above the cockpit. MGs don't protrude far enough to see the barrel, but UACs do. And those guns going off right above you is very flashy.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

WarLocke posted:

The Kit Fox's side torso ballistic hardpoints are right above the cockpit. MGs don't protrude far enough to see the barrel, but UACs do. And those guns going off right above you is very flashy.

Thanks, I'll have to add the Kit Fox to my buy list than.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I loaded my Kit Fox with 2 UAC2s+4xSL. You can see the UAC barrels from your cockpit!

All dakka, all the time, but good golly it chews through your ammunition super quick.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, I ended up going with this. 1t of MG ammo, 2.5t of AMS ammo, 14xDHS, uses every crit slot (it doesn't want to save with the RA actuators selected for some reason).

Seems to do surprisingly well, at least until being a 30-ton paper-armored mech gets me dead.

The Kitfox hits pretty hard, my instinct with the mech is like "Yeah you've got 45 tons of swagger, you can take a couple hits" and then a whale or gausscombo takes my leg/side torso off with one shot.

I like your revisions, still recommend trying another two jumpjets for half a ton of ams and half of mg. It's not worth it on most mechs, but the KFX gets a massive boost out of each extra jet because it's only 30 tons. When JJs got reworked the 30-ton slot was set up to be the sweet spot since the Spider's thing is supposed to be how high it can jump, but the KFX reaps the benefit. Helps a bit with survivability.

Also also, does the hand actuator actually do anything? Tried it out in the testing grounds, it doesn't improve my arm reach at all. Am I missing something? Lower arm actuators are great, hand actuators just add dorky protrusions making your big fragile arms even bigger, as far as I cant ell.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

gently caress it time for more wol action. Could I get an invite? Mwo name is Fustercluck. Much appreciated. :)

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

aniviron posted:

The Kitfox hits pretty hard, my instinct with the mech is like "Yeah you've got 45 tons of swagger, you can take a couple hits" and then a whale or gausscombo takes my leg/side torso off with one shot.

I like your revisions, still recommend trying another two jumpjets for half a ton of ams and half of mg. It's not worth it on most mechs, but the KFX gets a massive boost out of each extra jet because it's only 30 tons. When JJs got reworked the 30-ton slot was set up to be the sweet spot since the Spider's thing is supposed to be how high it can jump, but the KFX reaps the benefit. Helps a bit with survivability.

Also also, does the hand actuator actually do anything? Tried it out in the testing grounds, it doesn't improve my arm reach at all. Am I missing something? Lower arm actuators are great, hand actuators just add dorky protrusions making your big fragile arms even bigger, as far as I cant ell.

Hand actuators don't do anything in MWO other than take up a critical slot. In the tabletop game, hand actuators are your mech's actual 'hands', and some missions (like smash-and-grab supply raids) require mechs with actual hands to pick up and carry stuff. Also a mech with hands can do things like rip out a tree or a utility pole (or a severed 'mech limb) and beat somebody to death with it.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Drake_263 posted:

Also a mech with hands can do things like rip out a tree or a utility pole (or a severed 'mech limb) and beat somebody to death with it.

That would redeem MWO instantly.

Atlases clubbing other mechs with the sorry legs of crying pubby Mad Cats.

Infeckt
Feb 17, 2014

Tell me they removed or at least gimped poptarting and I may consider reinstalling. That poo poo got old fast.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: They increased reticle shake and added falling damage to legs (so you need to reserve some jump juice for the landing or you'll leg yourself after a bit). I've seen a couple people poptart but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.

aniviron posted:

It's supposed to give you more movement with the arm (not sure if it actually works because :pgi:) but mostly it's there for critical padding; if I somehow lose the armor there but the arm isn't totally blown off it's one more slot that can roll a crit before the ECM/AMS/ERML, hopefully.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Infeckt posted:

Tell me they removed or at least gimped poptarting and I may consider reinstalling. That poo poo got old fast.

It's 99% gone thank Christ.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kazvall posted:

AND ALL THANKS TO GHOST HEAT! ALL HAIL THE INOUYE, NEXT TO WHOM WE ARE ALL INTELLECTUAL MIDGETS

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.

Mindblast posted:

gently caress it time for more wol action. Could I get an invite? Mwo name is Fustercluck. Much appreciated. :)

Shibas sent you an invite, should be there next time you log in.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Voyager I posted:

So is the Triple-UAC Marmoset still good / funny? I'm pretty sure UAC mechanics have been reworked a few times since I last played the game.

2x Gauss, 3xML - you'll be much happier in the current meta.

I still use a 3x UAC setup on one of my Jaeger's and generally avg 400-500 dmg when dropping with goons, but the arm placement really helps with peaking.

Infeckt
Feb 17, 2014

Kazvall posted:

Does that mean brawling is back? Or did everyone just revert back to lrm spam.

gently caress it, I'll install tonight.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Infeckt posted:

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Infeckt posted:

gently caress it, I'll install tonight.

You can brawl pretty decently, as long as you make sure to bring AMS. People still love their lurms, but AMS/ECM makes it easier to deal with it unless you get a lovely pub drop where your entire team mills around while being picked off.

• Locked thread