Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

An Angry Bug posted:

Sounds right on the money. Thanks.

Edit: Any issue numbers or ranges you can give me? Might pick them up.

ASM 688-691. I'd also read ASM 630-633.

Question of my own: How did Vision father children?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

Scarlet Witch magicked them into existence, possibly with some assistance from Agatha Harkness. It was in the Vision and the Scarlet Witch mini -- 12 issues long, which they don't do these days, do they?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

He didn't. It was magic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So why were they "his children"?

Also why does everything involving Wanda have to be so goddamn stupid?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vision was Wanda's Smizmar.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

zoux posted:

So why were they "his children"?

Also why does everything involving Wanda have to be so goddamn stupid?
Because Wanda warps reality, frequently without meaning to.

For both questions.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

Scarlet Witch magicked them into existence, possibly with some assistance from Agatha Harkness. It was in the Vision and the Scarlet Witch mini -- 12 issues long, which they don't do these days, do they?

She made them from Mephisto's soul.

It was all part of Immortus's master plan.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You forgot the parts where this happened

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Has Martian Manhunter ever had his own title/series/mini?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Yep he has had a couple over the years. I am pretty sure the best is the one by John Ostrander. Another important one is by J.M. DeMatteis

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

There's a really good Ostrander/Mandrake run.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 26, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What happens to Beast Boy's costume when he changes? In cartoons and what I've seen in comics it just seems like he goes from wearing his costume to naked animal.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

What happens to Beast Boy's costume when he changes? In cartoons and what I've seen in comics it just seems like he goes from wearing his costume to naked animal.

DC's equivalent of unstable molecules.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Does anyone know why Kamandi only goes up to issue 27 on comiXology*? Kirby wrote the book up until issue 37 (and penciled a few after that), the second Omnibus collects up to issue 40, and it's not a natural stopping point for anything.

*I mean, other than DC being DC, of course.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Here's a question that pooped into my mind today at the flea market when I saw a stack of Youngblood comic books for 4€ (the stack, not per issue): do people who grew up reading that stuff have some kind of attachment to it? Do people wax nostalgic over Rob Liefeld comics?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do people wax nostalgic over Rob Liefeld comics?

Yo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Here's a question that pooped into my mind today at the flea market when I saw a stack of Youngblood comic books for 4€ (the stack, not per issue): do people who grew up reading that stuff have some kind of attachment to it? Do people wax nostalgic over Rob Liefeld comics?

Yes, there's a lot of people who are nostalgia for terrible Image comics. The sickos.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second

Jerry Cotton posted:

I maintain a soft spot for early Spawn, Shadow Hawk & Savage Dragon -- but Younglood? Nope. I don't think I know anyone who even liked it at the time. I'm told the Liefeldverse got pretty cool once they hired some good writers for it, like when they hired Alan Moore for Supreme and let him do all the things with it that DC's editors would never let him do with Superman. Maybe that's what people are nostalgic for, not Youngblood itself.

Shaft from Youngblood was kind of a neat idea, though. "Green Arrow + Bullseye and he's also a government agent" seems like it might be a fun premise, even if he is a mash-up any 12-year-old could've come up with.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

picosecond posted:

I maintain a soft spot for early Spawn, Shadow Hawk & Savage Dragon -- but Younglood? Nope. I don't think I know anyone who even liked it at the time. I'm told the Liefeldverse got pretty cool once they hired some good writers for it, like when they hired Alan Moore for Supreme and let him do all the things with it that DC's editors would never let him do with Superman. Maybe that's what people are nostalgic for, not Youngblood itself.

Shaft from Youngblood was kind of a neat idea, though. "Green Arrow + Bullseye and he's also a government agent" seems like it might be a fun premise, even if he is a mash-up any 12-year-old could've come up with.

I think Shaft was meant even more as a Speedy/Arsenal analogue, right down to the red costume. Liefeld was always a huge Teen Titans fan, right down to naming Deadpool/Wade Wilson after Deathstroke/Slade Wilson.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I think Shaft was meant even more as a Speedy/Arsenal analogue, right down to the red costume. Liefeld was always a huge Teen Titans fan, right down to naming Deadpool/Wade Wilson after Deathstroke/Slade Wilson.

Wasn't Youngblood originally conceived as a Teen Titans pitch, too?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 27, 2014

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Metal Loaf posted:

Wasn't Youngblood originally conceived as a Teen Titans pitch, too?
Literally so, yes.

"Liefeld merged his Titans ideas into a new creator-owned project, Youngblood, to be published by the newly founded Image Comics. According to Liefeld, "Shaft was intended to be Speedy. Vogue was a new Harlequin design, Combat was a Kh'undian warrior circa the Legion of Super-Heroes, ditto for Photon and Die Hard was a Star Labs android. I forgot who Chapel was supposed to be."

Cougar and I think a couple other Youngblood characters also showed up in his New Mutants sketchbook things in either Marvel Age or some X-Annuals.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Has the Punisher ever been much of a detective? I'm reading The Punisher MAX*, and Frank's getting information is literally just sitting at the crime scene eavesdropping on the police. Not that I expect him to have a Batcave to do forensics in, but that's just lazy.

*I swear, I have a love/hate relationship with the writings of Garth Ennis, but this is really good so far and I love The Punisher

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Has the Punisher ever been much of a detective? I'm reading The Punisher MAX*, and Frank's getting information is literally just sitting at the crime scene eavesdropping on the police. Not that I expect him to have a Batcave to do forensics in, but that's just lazy.

*I swear, I have a love/hate relationship with the writings of Garth Ennis, but this is really good so far and I love The Punisher

He had his murdervan run by his sidekick Micro for a while, he kinda left the detective work to him in that era. But yeah, he's generally shown to be fairly sharp but favor the "torturing bad guys into giving him information" style of detective work.

And yeah, Punisher MAX is outstanding. I think it might be Ennis' best work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Punisher somehow having objective information about the people he shoots is a necessary contrivance for it to be possible to root for him ever. Sometimes he has sidekicks, sometimes he eavesdrops, sometimes he has "contacts", and sometimes he just knows.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Jerry Cotton posted:

I wax nostalgic on Spawn. Is that the same thing?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Has Tom DeFalco ever explained why the hell he wrote 100+ issues of Spider-Girl in the second person?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Madkal posted:

I wax nostalgic on Spawn. Is that the same thing?

Meeeeh maybe? I remember kind of liking Todd McFarlane poo poo back in The Incredible Hulk and The Amazing Spider-Man just because it was so different but... no, wait, he was never nearly as abysmal as Liefeld so I guess it isn't the same thing. (I've never read Spawn so I don't know about the stories though.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Let's not forget that Shaft found the headquarters of the mafia by running into every Italian bar in the city and shouting "Where the gently caress is the headquarters of the mafia?!?". (In the book, I've never seen the movie.) Not all fictive detectives work solely by using their little grey cells. (And I never understood how you could do any detecting with your balls anyway :shrug:)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

Meeeeh maybe? I remember kind of liking Todd McFarlane poo poo back in The Incredible Hulk and The Amazing Spider-Man just because it was so different but... no, wait, he was never nearly as abysmal as Liefeld so I guess it isn't the same thing. (I've never read Spawn so I don't know about the stories though.)

I enjoy that era of the Hulk but I think it's more because of PAD than McFarlane.

As far as the pre-Image output of the original Image guys goes, I really like Valentino's run on GOTG (and it isn't nostalgia or anything, since it started the year before I was born).

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Everything is someone's childhood.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I started working my way up to Infinity Gauntlet again and was thinking about different Death is in the Marvel U compared to Death in DC. Then, of course, I thought about the similarities between Thanos and Darkseid. So I was wondering: has Darkseid ever met Death?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If we're talking about Neil Gaiman's Death I imagine Darkseid would be singularly unimpressed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

He has met The Black Racer

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Uthor posted:

I started working my way up to Infinity Gauntlet again and was thinking about different Death is in the Marvel U compared to Death in DC. Then, of course, I thought about the similarities between Thanos and Darkseid. So I was wondering: has Darkseid ever met Death?

The Black Racer is death for the new gods, Darksied was unimpressed when they met, after all what kind of embodiment of death lets life exist?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

WickedHate posted:

Sometimes you see him work like a Law & Order detective, he finds one guy, gets enough information to lead to the next guy, and repeat until the end boss is found.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

He has met The Black Racer

I refuse to believe Jack Kirby was neither wrong in the head nor doing drugs.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

lifg posted:

Sometimes you see him work like a Law & Order detective, he finds one guy, gets enough information to lead to the next guy, and repeat until the end boss is found.

Also like Stabler he just beats the poo poo out of suspects.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Phylodox posted:

If we're talking about Neil Gaiman's Death I imagine Darkseid would be singularly unimpressed.

They were both at Dream's funeral, but I don't know if they met.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Let's not forget that Shaft found the headquarters of the mafia by running into every Italian bar in the city and shouting "Where the gently caress is the headquarters of the mafia?!?"

So basically the Rorschach method:

Strangers in Paradise question: What's up with the serial killer that plants bombs in the stomachs of people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

I refuse to believe Jack Kirby was neither wrong in the head nor doing drugs.

Jack Kirby was on the Kirby dots.