Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

Just finished "Going Postal" and I loved it. One thing that did make me sad was that Guilt died in the end I did like his character and all the work that went into it and I would have looked forward to seeing him turn up every now and then in the position he was offered.

Gilt, not Guilt. Very different meaning. I disagree and think it would have made the story worse if he'd accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Pham Nuwen posted:

Gilt, not Guilt. Very different meaning. I disagree and think it would have made the story worse if he'd accepted.

Plus it set up Making Money. And that change would go against the reasoning behind Moist's motivation in the last stretch.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DoctorWhat posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/r4-good-omens

BBC Radio 4 is doing an audio adaptation of Good Omens!

Love that book. I hope the adaptation stacks up. I'm still bummed that Gaiman moving to Wisconsin prevented him and Terry from getting together to write 668: Neighbor of the Beast. :sigh:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

jng2058 posted:

Gaiman moving to Wisconsin

When the cheese come-a calling a mans gots to do what he must aye?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Given that Pratchett is somewhat enormously rich, and he has always wanted Terry Gilliam to do Good Omens, why doesn't he just Executive Produce it and cover any funding that Gilliam can't get elsewhere?

Then again, after seeing Lost in La Mancha, one wonders how badly Gilliam would take it if anything went wrong...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At this point, secured funding would probably throw Gilliam out of his usual work environment.

DoctorWhat posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/r4-good-omens

BBC Radio 4 is doing an audio adaptation of Good Omens!
With Mark Heap and Peter Serafinowicz no less! This is amazing. Those two would probably do just fine on screen, too. It's just I'm wondering when they say "Heap and Serafinowicz as angel and devil respectively" if there hasn't been a mixup.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

precision posted:

Given that Pratchett is somewhat enormously rich, and he has always wanted Terry Gilliam to do Good Omens, why doesn't he just Executive Produce it and cover any funding that Gilliam can't get elsewhere?

Well, let's think about this. His net worth was reported a few years ago as being somewhere in the region of £42 million, but let's to go the man himself to find out why this doesn't mean "he has £42 million in the bank" (this was written some considerable time ago, in response to his net worth being estimated at £26 million):

quote:

"This began with some survey done by a magazine called Business Age. Since it's off by the national debt of Belgium my agent rang them up to find out what the hell was going on. Various factoids emerged, like frinstance their assumption that I sell pro rata as much in the States as I do here (hollow laughter from the American readers). And we suspect they fall for the common error that a mere appearance in the bestseller lists means millionaire status (in a poor week the book at number ten might not have sold 100 copies). But the big wobbler is that the estimate is of 'worth', not 'wealth' -- they've hazarded a wild guess at the value of the Discworld rights, as far as we can tell including film rights as well. Remember copyright lasts for 50 years and the books are consistent high backlist sellers. It's similar to pointing to a bright kid and saying 'he's worth three million quids' -- i.e., all the money she or he might earn during their life, at compound interest. It's fairy money. The kind Robert Maxwell had."

The Sunday Times Rich List operates in a similar fashion. So let's be generous for a moment, and assume that in fact he at this moment has about £20 million (~$32 million) in either cash or easily liquefiable assets. It's pretty obvious that Good Omens is not going to be a cheap movie to make if you want to do it properly, right? The rights to licence Queen alone could probably pay for a load of worthy shoestring independent meditations on e.g. the subtly intertwining lives of the people who use a particular railway station toilet. 12 Monkeys cost $29.5 million. Doctor Parnassus cost about the same. The Brothers Grimm cost $88 million. Film is not a cheap business.

So he almost certainly doesn't have as much money as is often reported, and even if he did it'd still be a bloody big ask to shoulder even half the production costs of a Good Omens movie with enough budget to make it a worthwhile exercise. Let's remember here that when George Harrison bought the most expensive cinema ticket in history by stepping in to personally fund The Life of Brian, even an ex-Beatle had to remortgage his house to do so.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
The Guardian has a foreword by Neil Gaiman up about pTerry, it's very sweet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sri.Theo posted:

Yeah, that's the foreword to A Slip of the Keyboard, the forthcoming collection of Pterry's non-fiction writing. I heard it at the Con.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Doesn't he know? At the very heart of every cynic is a romantic that has been let down once too many times, but they will try and put a bright loving face on it. Just this once eh?

Collateral fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 25, 2014

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I just finished Snuff.

I *love* what pratchett did with Willikins character. It's just such a shame that it took so many books for him to get to it. So many books are wasted on him just being a square butler in the background.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
He was writen much better sort of like that since Jingo, though.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

He was writen much better sort of like that since Jingo, though.

In my opinion Pratchett didn't start on that side of his character until the later parts of Thud. Specifically the scene with the dwarf attackers. That's where he went from boring old butler Willikins to street thug/assassin Willikins

He did go to war in Jingo but not as street thug/assassin Willikins he went to war as just an ignorant recruit seeking glory. Made to symbolize the "glory of war" hysteria among the common man.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Zephyrine posted:

He did go to war in Jingo but not as street thug/assassin Willikins he went to war as just an ignorant recruit seeking glory. Made to symbolize the "glory of war" hysteria among the common man.

Did you miss the bit where he immediately gets himself made a sergeant and goes round biting Klatchian noses off? "It was only one nose, sir..."

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Sri.Theo posted:

You know, it doesn't surprise me at all that pTerry is driven by rage; I've never really thought about it before, but it really, really fits pretty much every Discworld novel there is. How many problems are created by somebody being angry over a frustrating feature or twist of fate, and how often is that problem solved by the protagonist learning to get angry, and to channel that fury into a positive force?

Heck, even the essential themes of each novel seem to be Pratchett setting himself against something and deconstructing it to hell and back: The Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic against the standard fantasy plot, Equal Rites/Monstrous Regiment against sexism and misogyny, Sourcery against imperialism, Moving Pictures and Soul Music against the movie and music industries respectively, Witches Abroad/ Lords and Ladies against fairy tales, Carpe Jugulum against vampires and the mystique of dictatorships, Small Gods against organized religion, Night watch against armed revolution, the poor, and pretty much everything Les Miserables was about; the Watch novels against corruption and crime; the Witch novels against stupidity and small-mindedness, and the Death novels against... well, three guesses and the first two don't count... This is a man with a hell of a lot of axes to grind, but it never becomes tiresome to watch him grind them because it's just so much fun you forget that's what you're actually reading, instead of a funny-book with magic.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Trin Tragula posted:

Did you miss the bit where he immediately gets himself made a sergeant and goes round biting Klatchian noses off? "It was only one nose, sir..."

That seemed more like a fluke. He seems mostly confused in the scene where he meets Vimes and nothing like that happens again for three nightwatch books.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

That seemed more like a fluke. He seems mostly confused in the scene where he meets Vimes and nothing like that happens again for three nightwatch books.

Maybe go back and re-read that scene. He's not confused, he's embarrassed to show such abject bloodthirst to the man he butlers.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

resurgam40 posted:

You know, it doesn't surprise me at all that pTerry is driven by rage; I've never really thought about it before, but it really, really fits pretty much every Discworld novel there is. How many problems are created by somebody being angry over a frustrating feature or twist of fate, and how often is that problem solved by the protagonist learning to get angry, and to channel that fury into a positive force?

Heck, even the essential themes of each novel seem to be Pratchett setting himself against something and deconstructing it to hell and back: The Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic against the standard fantasy plot, Equal Rites/Monstrous Regiment against sexism and misogyny, Sourcery against imperialism, Moving Pictures and Soul Music against the movie and music industries respectively, Witches Abroad/ Lords and Ladies against fairy tales, Carpe Jugulum against vampires and the mystique of dictatorships, Small Gods against organized religion, Night watch against armed revolution, the poor, and pretty much everything Les Miserables was about; the Watch novels against corruption and crime; the Witch novels against stupidity and small-mindedness, and the Death novels against... well, three guesses and the first two don't count... This is a man with a hell of a lot of axes to grind, but it never becomes tiresome to watch him grind them because it's just so much fun you forget that's what you're actually reading, instead of a funny-book with magic.

When I read Going Postal, I swear the book was really an war against capitalism and monopolized industries.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

DrNewton posted:

When I read Going Postal, I swear the book was really an war against capitalism and monopolized industries.

It needed to be said though. People are way too quick to jump on the "private competition will fix it" bandwagon.

I consider myself a libertarian but I'm not so naive as to believe that privatizing everything will automatically make it cheaper and more efficient.

The Klax (sp?) was a good example considering that these days there are people who argue for the privatization of even the police.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I don't know if it's really a condemnation of capitalism. Moist's presented as a similar kind of person to Reacher Gilt, and they're both in it for the "love of the game", using much of the same tactics. If anything the moral is to spend your money on something meaningful like stamps, golems and golem ladies, instead of burying it in a field somewhere not even accruing any interest.

Especially given that so much of the governing in Ankh-Morpork is contracted out to the guilds... who knows if the establishment would even survive Vetinari's death? I guess at least the Watch has gotten things together.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Redmark posted:

I don't know if it's really a condemnation of capitalism. Moist's presented as a similar kind of person to Reacher Gilt, and they're both in it for the "love of the game", using much of the same tactics. If anything the moral is to spend your money on something meaningful like stamps, golems and golem ladies, instead of burying it in a field somewhere not even accruing any interest.

Especially given that so much of the governing in Ankh-Morpork is contracted out to the guilds... who knows if the establishment would even survive Vetinari's death? I guess at least the Watch has gotten things together.

Oh it's totally about capitalism.

quote:

'Don't patronize me, my lord,' said Gilt. 'We own the Trunk. It is our property. You understand that? Property is the foundation of freedom. Oh, customers complain about the service and the cost,

but customers always complain about such things. We have no shortage of customers at whatever cost. Before the semaphore, news from Genua took months to get here, now it takes less than a day. It is affordable magic. We are answerable to our shareholders, my lord. Not, with respect, to you. It is not your business. It is our business, and we will run it according to the market. I hope there are no tyrannies here. This is, with respect, a free city.'

'Such a lot of respect is gratifying,' said the Patrician. 'But the only choice your customers have is between you and nothing.'

'Exactly,' said Reacher Gilt calmly. 'There is always a choice. They can ride a horse a few thousand miles, or they can wait patiently until we can send their message.' Vetinari gave him a smile that lasted as long as a lightning flash. 'Or fund and build another system,' he said. 'Although I note that every other company that has lately tried to run a clacks system in opposition has failed quite quickly, sometimes in distressing circumstances. Falls from the tops of clacks towers, and so on.'

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Zephyrine posted:

Oh it's totally about capitalism.

I read that as being about monopolies, not capitalism.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Zephyrine posted:

The Klax (sp?)
Clacks.

As in the sound the semaphores make when they open and close... clack, clack, clack.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Stroth posted:

Private monopolies where the government is to stay out because "It's a free city"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zephyrine posted:

Private monopolies where the government is to stay out because "It's a free city"

On the other hand, telling Vetinari what he may or may not do is a career-limiting move. If he's in a good mood.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Stroth posted:

That's the problem with capitalism, overtime certain business become stronger than others. The little ones close up and before you know it, there is no option but the one business. Then said business money tends to have influence in government policies, thus making it harder for a new business to create competition.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Stroth posted:

And the bit where Vetinari decides the appropriate course of action is to arrange things so that he can justify nationalising it...?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Trin Tragula posted:

And the bit where Vetinari decides the appropriate course of action is to arrange things so that he can justify nationalising it...?

Actually, Vetinari doesn't nationalise the clacks. It ends with it the hands of the Dearheart family AFAIK.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

DrNewton posted:

That's the problem with capitalism, overtime certain business become stronger than others. The little ones close up and before you know it, there is no option but the one business. Then said business money tends to have influence in government policies, thus making it harder for a new business to create competition.

The whole point of reopening the post office was to force competition on them.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Actually, Vetinari doesn't nationalise the clacks. It ends with it the hands of the Dearheart family AFAIK.

It does. Vetinari doesn't give a drat who's running it as long as it isn't being run in a way that is detrimental to his city. Adora Belle runs the company competently in later books and he's perfectly happy with that.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

All the guilds are already essentially businesses with monopolies over their various areas of interest which makes it pretty clear that Vetinari doesn't seem to give a single poo poo about whether there's competition in the marketplace or whatever, just how it ultimately affects the public interest. He's definitely figured out how to make that work for him/the city (like how the Thieves' guild handles unlicensed thievery) but you'd have a hard time spinning that into a message about being pro-nationalization.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I read them mostly as arm's length industries that work for the good of the city with profit as an interesting side benefit, because the apparent private dynastic owners/operators are all secretly terrified of getting the arm chopped off if they go properly into business for themselves like Gilt did with the Trunk. Whether that's pro-nationalisation or pro-responsible-capitalism or pro-enlightened-dictatorship...

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Trin Tragula posted:

I read them mostly as arm's length industries that work for the good of the city with profit as an interesting side benefit, because the apparent private dynastic owners/operators are all secretly terrified of getting the arm chopped off if they go properly into business for themselves like Gilt did with the Trunk. Whether that's pro-nationalisation or pro-responsible-capitalism or pro-enlightened-dictatorship...

I also think that the guilds dealing in more mundane disciplines, clockmaking, artificers, merchants and so on, are more for regulation and tax collection, and have competition within them. Besides having a choice in which craftsman's work you buy, I think its been said advancement among the leadership tends to happen when someone is visited by someone in a cool black gettup.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

The Guilds are of course like unions. People who practise the craft are members. The Guild itself is not the company.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Stroth posted:

The whole point of reopening the post office was to force competition on them.

Yes, however through government funding. Thus, the post office, though it makes a profit near the end, it still an PUBLIC service.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Stroth posted:

The end result of unfettered capitalism is monopoly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zephyrine posted:

The Guilds are of course like unions. People who practise the craft are members. The Guild itself is not the company.

The Assassin's Guild is.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

But only because the Guild grew up around the existing and established institution of the Assassin's School, of which there is only the one.

I suppose someone could attempt to open a competing school of assassination and higher learning for the affluent and noble youth of the city, but I can't see that going over very well.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

But only because the Guild grew up around the existing and established institution of the Assassin's School, of which there is only the one.

I suppose someone could attempt to open a competing school of assassination and higher learning for the affluent and noble youth of the city, but I can't see that going over very well.

It's likely that Vetinari would have no problem with someone trying to open a rival Assassin school. It's even more likely that he also wouldn't help them at all.

I want to read that book now.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Eh, Vimes, de Worde and von Lipwig are already more or less this.

Ankh Morpork is hardly lacking for stories about the plucky new comer barging in and ruffling feathers among the city elite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

It's likely that Vetinari would have no problem with someone trying to open a rival Assassin school. It's even more likely that he also wouldn't help them at all.

I want to read that book now.

He'd probably also commission his own assassination, to be thwarted by Vimes without help. Keep everyone on their toes.