Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Hi everyone! Here is the super-minimalist (translation: I can't do anything clever with images) Season 7 thread for Castle.

The Basic Premise:
He's a famous mystery novelist. She's a homicide detective. Together, they fight crime.

The Main Couple: :glomp:
Rick Castle (Nathan Fillion): Wealthy, famous, ruggedly handsome, best-selling mystery novelist. Years ago was a suspect in a homicide and has been shadowing the detective ever since, falling in love along the way. :swoon:

Kate Beckett (Stana Katic): Homicide detective with a great record in catching criminals. At first was annoyed by Castle, but now they're in love and partners both in murder investigations and in life. :cop:

The Bro-Mantics: :hfive:
Kevin Ryan (Seamus Dever): Homicide detective. Questionable taste in clothes. Married to Jenny, and they have a baby girl. :stat:

Javier Esposito (Jon Huertas): Homicide detective. Former special forces guy. Has on-again, off-again relationship with Lanie Parish (see below). :wal:

At the 12th Precinct:
Lanie Parish (Tamala Jones): Medical examiner, dispenser of wisdom. Erstwhile girlfriend of Esposito. Friend of Beckett. :nyd:

Captain Victoria Gates (Penny Johnson Jerald): Initially grumpy, by-the-book captain has seen the value of the Castle/Beckett partnership to the point where she lets them work together even though they're engaged. :byodame:

At the Loft:
Martha Rogers (Susan Sullivan): Castle's Broadway diva mother, who give surprisingly decent life advice, considering. :sparkles:

Alexis Castle (Molly Quinn): Castle's college-age daughter. Straight-A student. Good kid despite occasional misstep (i.e., fruitarians). :angel:

Assorted Friends and Sworn Enemies:
Tory the tech gal: Shows up every so often to do the "enhance" thing and have Esposito make goo-goo eyes at her. :techno:

Spy Daddy: Castle's father, long unknown, revealed to be a super spy in season 5. :black101:

Senator Bracken: Evil senator behind the murder of Beckett's mother, finally arrested in season 6. :hitler:

3XK and his creepy girlfriend: 3XK is serial killer with vendetta against the 12th Precinct cops and Castle. Officially dead but if you believe that I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. :chef:

Why We Watch It :munch:
It's fun. The chemistry between Castle and Beckett is great and perhaps even better now the they're together and there's no more will-they-or-won't-they drama. The supporting cast is a joy as well (in fact, underused). The cases are fun and interesting at best, inoffensive at worst. It's low on gore and the murders have no dead kids or sexual violence - it's a put on your bunny slippers and make some popcorn show. And maybe, just maybe, that's enough.

Where we left off… :suspense:
Season 6 was a very enjoyable one. Castle proposed and Beckett said yes. She took a federal agent job in DC and was fired because of plot convenience, so she could return to the NYPD and resume business as usual. Alexis moved in with and later broke up with an annoying fruitarian. Beckett arrested Senator Evil. Spy Daddy showed up again and was kind of a tool this time. Castle and Beckett spent and episode taking care of a baby and my ovaries exploded.

Most crucially, in the season finale Castle and Beckett were getting married only to have the day thwarted by disasters great and small (Beckett's fugly wedding dress getting ruined, legal drama because of Beckett's long-ago drunken Vegas wedding she didn't remember). All was well until the closing moments when Castle, driving to the Hamptons house for the wedding, was menaced by a mysterious black SUV. Beckett was summoned to the scene to see Castle's car in a ravine and in flames. :supaburn:

Season 7 premieres 9/29 with the episode titled "Driven."

Sneak peeks released by ABC show that at the very least, Castle is not in the car. Where is he? Who was driving the SUV of Doom? Will Castle and Beckett EVER get married? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I hope this is the final season. While I love this show, I feel like it is getting a little long in the tooth. I'd hate for it to drag out to the point that I wouldn't want to tune in anymore.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
If this season isn't the last, I think 8 would be the absolute last one. The cast members' contracts are all up this year, so a lot will depend on if they want to keep on with the show and how much money the network will throw at them. But I agree, I'd be happy with this one being the last.

But I'm calling it now: The guys in the black SUV menacing Castle just wanted to ask if he had any Grey Poupon.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Every season has had a time skip at the start, either before or during the first episode, to keep the show synched with real-time. Part of me thinks it would be really interesting if the show time-skipped forward and Castle is still missing... but that probably won't happen.

klf11
Aug 17, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

I hope this is the final season. While I love this show, I feel like it is getting a little long in the tooth. I'd hate for it to drag out to the point that I wouldn't want to tune in anymore.

i completely agree, also the whole wedding junk, completely takes away from the main "castle" feel, they need to get back to the main castle core

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Kate Beckett (Stana Katic): Homicide detective with a great record in catching criminals. At first was annoyed by Castle, but now they're in love and partners both in murder investigations and in life. :cop:

You forgot to talk about Stana Katic's love for coke. Tradition demands it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The coke jokes have been in bad taste ever since she lost the coke baby, imo.

RIP baby angel

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Will someone please explain this? I think I remember the thread being called something like Stana Katic's Coke Baby Memorial Station when I just started watching, but I have no idea what that's a reference to.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe Castle is being forced to leave the money by the kidnappers? No one has thought of this?

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

FBI agent: "he's not under duress" YOU DON'T KNOW THAT

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I suppose the argument against duress is "who is being threatened to make Castle act like that"? Not his daughter, his mother, Beckett, or anyone else in the main cast. They were all fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Brennanite posted:

Will someone please explain this? I think I remember the thread being called something like Stana Katic's Coke Baby Memorial Station when I just started watching, but I have no idea what that's a reference to.

People were being weird about an actress's weight. It ballooned. The usual.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I suppose the argument against duress is "who is being threatened to make Castle act like that"? Not his daughter, his mother, Beckett, or anyone else in the main cast. They were all fine.

Himself? I mean, "put this money in that dumpster or I'll shoot you in the loving head" seems like it'd work well enough.

absolutezero
Aug 18, 2004

World Domination has had a momentary setback...talk amoungst yourselves
So this is either getting resolved next episode or it will be the running plot for the season.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Eh, an okay episode. Everything returned to 'normal' rather quickly. Yeah, TV show and ask that, but Castle didn't really seem all that concerned or distraught about the whole thing. Plus daughter and mother didn't seem to be all that upset at the inferno that was Castles Mercedes before it was known he wasn't in it.

Also, relationship reset button pressed. Blah.

e: Fillion has plumped up a little more.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
...Nathan Fillin'?

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
Not a bad episode but I was hoping they wouldn't find Castle right away and that Beckett would go on a rampage beating up criminals trying to get information. She didn't even finish breaking that dudes thumb. I did like they brought back the Hamptons mobster though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Man, I know that every now and again Castle likes to pretend it's a Serious Conspiracy Drama and we all just have to pat it on its stupid head and wait for it to get it out of its system, but God that was dull.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CapnAndy posted:

Man, I know that every now and again Castle likes to pretend it's a Serious Conspiracy Drama and we all just have to pat it on its stupid head and wait for it to get it out of its system, but God that was dull.

I know, right? I kept waiting for Castle to admit he'd staged the whole thing as a poorly-concieved romantic "find your future husband" scavenger hunt.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It would've been less dull if it weren't completely predictable. Especially since either they're going to immediately cut out the soap opera nonsense next episode or keep this running the whole season.

Edit: I will admit though, I did sort of expect them to have dredged up 3XK yet again, so that they didn't is progress?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The producers said during the offseason that this isn't 3XK or Bracken. It's a new person/group/whatever.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Tide posted:

Also, relationship reset button pressed. Blah.

It's stuff like that which makes me really miss Chuck even more. Despite its odd premise (Computer geek downloads the NSA and works with superspies to fight crime/terrorism), Chuck had one of the more realistic relationship arcs (not counting the wish fulfillment aspect of geek gets hot blonde girlfriend). From the start Chuck and Sarah are attracted to each other and thrown together by her "cover" as his girlfriend. They do the will they won't they thing until the middle of season three. Then they sleep together, move in together, get engaged at mid-season four and married at the end of season four. Even during the "won't they" times, Chuck and Sarah pursue serious relationships with other people, like real human beings tend to do. I kind of wish that Castle would take relationship notes from the show that had a dude download the NSA and get super kung-fu skills.

klf11
Aug 17, 2014

absolutezero posted:

So this is either getting resolved next episode or it will be the running plot for the season.

kinda looks likes its gonna be in a few more atleast, according to press releases for next 2 eps:

ep2
“Montreal” – While the team investigates the murder of a toy company CEO, Castle uncovers a lead to his mysterious disappearance, launching him into a dangerous investigation of his own, on “Castle,” MONDAY, OCTOBER 6 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

ep3
“Clear & Present Danger” – When a pool shark is murdered by an unseen force, Castle and Becket uncover evidence that the killer may have paranormal powers. Meanwhile, Castle and Beckett attempt to get their lives back to normal following his disappearance, on “Castle,” MONDAY, OCTOBER 13 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I liked it. Of course we knew Castle wasn't going to be dead, but there is just enough oddball stuff thrown into his disappearance (mysterious key? old bullet scar? dengue fever?) that I can't wait to find out what's behind it.

Calling it now: That FBI dude was totally in on it, poisoning the well from the get-go. I don't know what Espo's excuse is. Still not sure how much Castle doesn't remember and how much (if any) he's faking it.

Castle should always be sunburnt and unshaven. Yum.

I kind of wish they'd done a two-hour special event. The episode was so fast-paced, and a longer run time would have given it time to breathe and to have some more character moments, esp. with Martha and Alexis.

I don't think this is a reset button. A little bumpy for the next couple episodes but then we'll be back on track.

At least this season will have a Western episode, and an alternate universe "what if we'd never met" show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay. Basically, gently caress this show. For about three seasons now, we've been cheering this show on because despite it's cliched formate, it's avoided the whole "dumb reason I Beckett thinks Castle is cheating/has betrayed/did a dumb thing now I'm mad at him. Well they were saving it for this piece of poo poo episode. First thing, it was pretty over the top how the cliffhanger was that "Holy poo poo Kate thinks Castle died! (in a fiery car wreck)"... but we're all used to that by now. So who's the rear end in a top hat who decided that there should be a scene where Kate assumes Castle is being crushed in a car and we do the exact same "OMg I think he's dead" again!? It's the same fakeout twice in fifteen minutes. After all that cheesy bullshit, every character suddenly contracts autism and thinks that despite their personal relationship with Castle, he has to have been in on it. And I don't mean "Despite having a personal relationship with Castle, the evidence forces them to confront some hard truths" I mean "hey, we don't know any facts, but probably he's a lying cheating bastard out of nowhere because reasons". gently caress you show.

The worst part is they were smart enough to think of every fan reason: They brought up every big-bad from every two-parter and talked about how maybe Castle's dad was involved, and after all that they were like "Nope Castle might still be a gitanto-tastic douche"

Sleepy Hollow is officially better than Castle now. Based entirely how they handled resolution of their season cliffhangers... AND CASTLE HAD SIX SEASON OF CHARACTER DEVELOPEMENT TO BUILD ON!!!

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
Wasn't very pleased with this episode. It basically turned into a 45 minute character assassination for Ryan, Esposito, and Beckett. They should know Castle well enough to not buy the possibility that he jilted Beckett at the altar. The evidence should've convinced everyone else, but not them. Still you have Esposito wanting to sever immediately, Ryan giving up at the campsite (which should have made him seriously doubt), and Beckett getting cold feet like Castle was still somehow lying to her even after they had solid proof that he was set up to look like an rear end in a top hat. They don't even think about the bullet wound and the tropical disease. Nope, he's just been living in a tent in New England the last two months.

Even after that, why didn't't they consider why Castle would give up his writing career, mother, and daughter just to avoid getting married.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I liked the mystery of the new episode but I agree that Beckett, Ryan and Espo doubting Castle was pretty lame.

I was personally glad they didn't go the amnesia route when he woke up.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 1, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The time jump was weird as hell.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe they remembered the time he was a suspect in a case and he hired 2 fake cops to flee.

Or the other time he was a suspect in a case and lied to them about everything for 35 minutes.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Party Plane Jones posted:

The time jump was weird as hell.

Why? It was to be expected, really. Each new season of Castle has a time skip. This one seemed rather smooth, with a montage sequence as the transition.

I wasn't too thrilled with this episode, but the overarching mystery seems somewhat interesting.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
As time stretched on I felt more okay with the Castle-doubt, especially since they got the money drop evidence right away. I'm glad they're going to take it slow, going to normal cases next while he slowly pieces together his time off. I expect a crazy episode where we see those two months with a hypnotized assassin Castle eventually.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe they remembered the time he was a suspect in a case and he hired 2 fake cops to flee.

Or the other time he was a suspect in a case and lied to them about everything for 35 minutes.

But they didn't bring that up at all. It was the exact smae type of shallow bullshit evidence that lead to him being a suspect in those cases before. "Oh look a bunch of super circumstantial evidence that doesn't point to anything concrete yet, but let's jump to the conclusion that Castle is a terrible person"

Also holy poo poo someone make a gif of Beckett slam-tackling that guy at the junkyard. Only good thing to come out of this episode...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

My wife and I Hulu'd the season premier last night. We have been looking forward to the return of this show after last seasons finale. I am a little annoyed that they did not get to the matrimony and be done with the waiting that they are now dragging out again :argh: they had better make the payout worth it when they finally do get hitched and make us swoon.

In the off season my wife and I had babby #2. We named him Beckett.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Somewhat Heroic posted:

In the off season my wife and I had babby #2. We named him Beckett.

White people :argh:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Hijinks Ensue posted:

At least this season will have a Western episode, and an alternate universe "what if we'd never met" show.
Legitimately looking forward to the western episode being chock-full of Firefly references. They kind of tapered off a bit after the first few seasons. At least it better be. :arghfist:

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Will someone please make a gif of Castle unconscious in the dinghy and put the caption "Now I own a boat!"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Why? It was to be expected, really. Each new season of Castle has a time skip. This one seemed rather smooth, with a montage sequence as the transition.

I wasn't too thrilled with this episode, but the overarching mystery seems somewhat interesting.

No, it was just, he's gone! It's now been two months later! Without anything to show that time had really elapsed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Party Plane Jones posted:

No, it was just, he's gone! It's now been two months later! Without anything to show that time had really elapsed.

There was a montage of Beckett with newspaper clippings...

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
Was anyone else bothered by the fact that everyone (or well.. mainly Ryan and Esposito because they were there first) just stood and watched while Beckett scrambled down the embankment to Castle's car and then as she flopped down to the ground in despair and got soaking wet from the hose? Yea, car on fire, but still.. seems like they would have gone after her.

Plus the doubting Castle. I would have doubted Beckett but not him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pendergast posted:

Was anyone else bothered by the fact that everyone (or well.. mainly Ryan and Esposito because they were there first) just stood and watched while Beckett scrambled down the embankment to Castle's car and then as she flopped down to the ground in despair and got soaking wet from the hose? Yea, car on fire, but still.. seems like they would have gone after her.

Plus the doubting Castle. I would have doubted Beckett but not him.

I mean, I had the benefit of knowing that duh, Castle's not gonna die, but the whole time all I could think was "no you're ruining the second wedding dress!!"

• Locked thread