Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

davebo posted:

What I like more than anything about the current Charger are the rear lights. It's weird to see cops around here driving a car that looks so cool at night compared to the old crown vics. That was on my short list a few years ago too but the size/mpg and being rwd worked against it since I already have a rwd car. If I could only have one car for everything though I think that would have been it.

Size is actually the biggest problem for me right now, I didn't realize how big it actually was till I took it back to Brooklyn and tried to parallel park for the first time. I have an appointment to get a backup camera installed now :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

NOTinuyasha posted:

Bought my first ever actually new car yesterday.

'14 Dodge Charger SXT Redline RWD. I didn't opt for the HEMI, the Pentastar + 8-speed auto has plenty of power, at least for me. It felt gigantic at first but I got used to it quickly, helped by excellent steering feedback and a good driving position. It's a 4000lbs American tank but doesn't handle like one, and it's easy to push to it's limits. It was between this and a cheaper '15 Mazda6 Touring - which was down on power but had enough merits (really, it was loving nice) to keep it in the running - but when I pressured both dealers on price Dodge was willing to bargain way, way down to the Mazda's territory which sealed the deal for me. Most importantly it's got BEATS™ BY DRE

If anyone is wondering about the G55 that derailed the Benz thread for like weeks - it bombed the inspection. The dealership's mechanics even recognized it from previous work and told me to stay far away. Eventually I got tired of looking at sketchy luxury used cars and lowered my expectations/budget. This time.

You made the right decision.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
Waxed beater7. They look so cute together.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

Do you have some sort of quota on RWD cars? I have two already and I'm just getting started!

It's not that I have a quota, but for my daily driver I definitely prefer it to get better mileage, more space and good in bad weather. Having the two cars be so fundamentally different makes the decision to own two more justifiable, whereas if my daily driver was a ~300hp RWD sedan with bluetooth and all the fancy new gadgets, it suddenly becomes a lot harder to justify owning an aging Corvette.

If I could get some kind of CTS-V wagon with a selectable eco mode that got 35mpg on the highway maybe I could... nah I'd probably still get a miata or something light just to have different feeling cars.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Took my first pics of my semi-new Mustang with my DSLR instead of an iPhone camera. Good camera does more justice:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
:drat:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Count Freebasie posted:

Took my first pics of my semi-new Mustang with my DSLR instead of an iPhone camera. Good camera does more justice:

Murdering out is kinda overdone these days, but boy, does it still look great when done right (ie badges/lights left intact).

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Fucknag posted:

(ie badges/lights left intact).

Agree. I guess this is not totally murdered out (blue paint) but...:D Tinted lights don't look good on anything IMO.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 26, 2014

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Agree. I guess this is not totally murdered out (blue paint) but...:D Tinted lights don't look good on anything IMO.

Hey Mystic Blue E46 buddy. Love how your car looks - would have blacked mine out too if it wasn't the de-facto BMW mod in my area. Kept it totally stock instead.

Pic is a couple of years old, but nearly identical - sadly, a few assholes in parking lots added to my trim with doorstrike dents, despite obsessive parking habits. Best car I've ever owned.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 1, 2020

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Count Freebasie posted:

This is what a foxbody should look like all the time.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hey Mystic Blue E46 buddy. Love how your car looks - would have blacked mine out too if it wasn't the de-facto BMW mod in my area. Kept it totally stock instead.

Pic is a couple of years old, but nearly identical - sadly, a few assholes in parking lots added to my trim with doorstrike dents, despite obsessive parking habits. Best car I've ever owned.

:respek: The most common question I have been asked about my car is "where did ya get that paint job" and I tell them its a stock color. People are like :confused:. They really didn't make many mystic blues.

Count Freebasie posted:

Also I didn't quote dis post/car prior, but, uh, me like.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 26, 2014

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

davebo posted:

It's not that I have a quota, but for my daily driver I definitely prefer it to get better mileage, more space and good in bad weather. Having the two cars be so fundamentally different makes the decision to own two more justifiable, whereas if my daily driver was a ~300hp RWD sedan with bluetooth and all the fancy new gadgets, it suddenly becomes a lot harder to justify owning an aging Corvette.

If I could get some kind of CTS-V wagon with a selectable eco mode that got 35mpg on the highway maybe I could... nah I'd probably still get a miata or something light just to have different feeling cars.

So true, I drool over new pickups and then think "but what would become of my 72? it's not good enough at anything to justify keeping". That will creep in so much more so when I have a permanent garage space for a real project.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Das "American cars are garbage" Volk

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That's an Italian car!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Comrade Flynn posted:

Das "American cars are garbage" Volk

The radio doesn't work :v:

Also I'm deaf in my left ear now

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

When can I visit?

PS I hate you

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Is the snake appearing on the tach when you rev the car to redline as dumb in person as i imagine it would be? Can it be disabled?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Do we even have a mopar thread? I guess you can hang out with the jeep guys :v: that's pretty awesome but sad you had to part with the E92. Congrats

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Das Volk posted:

The radio doesn't work :v:

Also I'm deaf in my left ear now

Keep the windows up!

Beautiful car, though...

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

I hate you, and I love you sooo much. When do we get a thread?

P.S. Those wheels look so good on it.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
This car is so big on the outside and so tiny on the inside

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Das Volk, you beautiful bastard, you'll have to post more than that now!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Is the snake appearing on the tach when you rev the car to redline as dumb in person as i imagine it would be? Can it be disabled?

It's just a shift light :colbert:

Edit: DV, please don't kill yourself at the next hillclimb

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 27, 2014

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

gently caress you.

(jealous)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Even more important -- did they actually go through with an imprint of the Laguna Seca map in the storage pocket between the seats?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Any over the top silly thing is right at home on the Viper. I would be disappointed if they [i]didn't[/url] have something silly like that.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

My favorite over-the-top, performance-based, unnecessary, tacky item was a guy on "Pass Time" on Speed Channel who was using nitrous in his Mustang Cobra, and before he ran the quarter, he purged it and the gas sprayed out of the cobra badge's mouth on the front quarter panel.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 253 days!)

My first non-SAAB in about a decade.

'96 Exploder Eddie Bauer Edition.

The leather is nice. The drive is like floating on a marshmallow - a high-seated one. The speed is abysmal. I managed an amazing 13.6mpg average crawling home with it. The tranny fluid is nice and bright red, not burnt. Other than aesthetically, this vehicle was well taken care of. Previous owner seems to have used it as his fishin'/huntin' truck. It's a bit battered on the outside, but everything works perfectly.

It needs a basic tuneup. (oil, coolant, plugs and wires). The ignition coil is a bit battered, but seems to be firing fine. It'll take 10 minutes of work so I might just do that too. The radio needs minor repair, and the antenna mast is broken. Woop-de-do.

Every single user serviceable part is NAPA branded. :patriot:

Tim-may!!!
Jun 22, 2002
2009 Mercedes SL550. Got it about 2 months ago. Not very practical but loving it so far.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
To the left, my first car, '86 Nissan Sentra hatchback, still being passed around the family for some reason, and to the right, six years later, my '14 Charger.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tim-may!!! posted:

2009 Mercedes SL550. Got it about 2 months ago. Not very practical but loving it so far.

Gorgeous. What wheels are those?

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Tim-may!!! posted:

Piece of poo poo.

Naw, just kidding; sexy as hell.

Three months after I buy my Mustang weekend car, my VP offers to sell me his '08 Alpina B7 for $35k. And it has the night vision on it. :smith:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

NOTinuyasha posted:

To the left, my first car, '86 Nissan Sentra hatchback, still being passed around the family for some reason, and to the right, six years later, my '14 Charger.

I'd drive that Sentra any day.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

PCOS Bill posted:

We need more pictures of that Sentra.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

G-Mach posted:

We need more pictures of that Sentra.

That Sentra is the superior automobile.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

My two current rides, 2003 WRX, and a 2014 BRZ as of a week ago.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

365 Nog Hogger posted:

That Sentra is the superior automobile.

A carbureted 1.6L producing all of 70hp tied to a 3-speed auto. The only nice things to say about it is that it's still moving after three decades without any major work and refuses to rust despite getting driven around a salt-happy state year after year (admittedly it's seen a lot of preliminary maintenance, otherwise I'd have long turned to dust by now).

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 253 days!)

PCOS Bill posted:

Until you got tired of 45mph at 5k RPM

Sex Weirdo posted:

My two current rides, 2003 WRX, and a 2014 BRZ as of a week ago.

..and yet you still live in an apartment (with no garage).

NOTinuyasha posted:

A carbureted 1.6L producing all of 70hp tied to a 3-speed auto.

So it is on par with a 1967 SAAB Sonett. With a transmission downgrade. (Called it!) Punish the next generation by making them drive it. Even better if you pull the fuse for the radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

kastein posted:

Tabletop speedbumps make great jumps

They make my Town Car feel like the boat it is. But then, I can take them at 40 mph and the car gives no shits.

Speaking of which...

I will never not drive a land barge.

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 28, 2014