Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Leal posted:

Its a great simulator about having asthma and being in the military.

I can't stop laughing at this sentence, whoever thought this up is the worst game designer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Byzantine posted:

IIRC, some of the invisible walls are also there to keep high-level monsters like Deathclaws from strolling into the towns and killing everybody.

I have had them follow me inside a Ranger station (from Primm Pass) and the Brotherhood of Steel Safehouse, so yeah I could see that being a problem.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sire Oblivion posted:

I can't stop laughing at this sentence, whoever thought this up is the worst game designer.

It's just one of those stupid game things, like flashlight batteries lasting 30 seconds.

Something annoying about Destiny is how much the progress slows down when you get to level 23. You're too high to get any real progress from Blue equipment but don't regularly get enough Purple to outfit yourself.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Byzantine posted:

IIRC, some of the invisible walls are also there to keep high-level monsters like Deathclaws from strolling into the towns and killing everybody.

Late in my first playthrough of Fallout 3 I had a really interesting bug where a Deathclaw would spawn in the very middle of Megaton and attack everyone around.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also, just read that Bungie is patching Destiny next week to change the way Engrams work. They'll no longer give an item of lesser rarity and are supposed to be adjusted so that they more frequently give a higher level one instead. For example, I've played the game for over 30 hours and had the higher level thing happen exactly once.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Late in my first playthrough of Fallout 3 I had a really interesting bug where a Deathclaw would spawn in the very middle of Megaton and attack everyone around.

I got one in New Vegas where a Centaur would spawn and just kind of hang out in the middle of that scrapyard near Novac. It was hostile to me, but if I attacked it the Old Lady Gibson and her dogs would get pissed at me and defend it. :wtc:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

I got one in New Vegas where a Centaur would spawn and just kind of hang out in the middle of that scrapyard near Novac. It was hostile to me, but if I attacked it the Old Lady Gibson and her dogs would get pissed at me and defend it. :wtc:

Sounds like the kind old woman who loves animals has adopted it and then some drifter just shows up and caps her new pet.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I had a giant Radscorpion spawn on that bridge town in FO3, naturally, I was pinned for it somehow and the vampire dude living nearby got pissed at me.
Also had a ram kill Marcus, had to replay three hours to bring him back to life because gently caress I wanted to get the happy endings for some reason.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Canemacar posted:

Sounds like the kind old woman who loves animals has adopted it and then some drifter just shows up and caps her new pet.

Well she needed to train it better because it was hurling radioactive goo at me. :colbert:

I remember Regulator HQ in Fallout 3 being an absolute nightmare for really dangerous multiple spawns like deathclaws and radscorpions (and robots and yao guai).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Kimmalah posted:

I remember Regulator HQ in Fallout 3 being an absolute nightmare for really dangerous multiple spawns like deathclaws and radscorpions (and robots and yao guai).

After a while I just had to stop taking that perk because the regulator lady would run away from the dangerous creatures and it was impossible to get any benefit from it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah I think you guys are crazy to think things are not cluttered in FO3 then New Vegas. You are right about the subways though. Those were terrible.

Bethesda captured perfectly how lovely and awful the DC Metro is in Fallout 3.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

After a while I just had to stop taking that perk because the regulator lady would run away from the dangerous creatures and it was impossible to get any benefit from it.

Yeah I had that problem once. But she's marked as essential, so I just shot her until she was unconscious and then dragged her over directly in front of the door to the building. Once she woke up, she ran back inside the house to get away from me. Then you just wait a few days for her to calm down about it and everything is fixed. :v:

She normally won't do that if you make sure to kill everything and wait for combat to end completely. She usually flees because you come into the building while still technically in combat/with aggro, which takes some time to end even after everything is dead. Which is stupid, but hey it's Bethesda.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Trauma Team: path of honor path of honor path of honor path of honor

At least that's just dialog and doesn't impact the gameplay whatsoever :v:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Kimmalah posted:

Well she needed to train it better because it was hurling radioactive goo at me. :colbert:

Big Town in F3 would usually end up being destroyed by Super Mutants/Deathclaws since it was one of the few towns that had no invisible walls or loading screens for protection.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Judge Tesla posted:

Big Town in F3 would usually end up being destroyed by Super Mutants/Deathclaws since it was one of the few towns that had no invisible walls or loading screens for protection.

Well it's scripted to be completely wiped out anyway unless you complete that quest in just the right way. Sometimes that's hard because of course it glitches.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

ChaosArgate posted:

At least that's just dialog and doesn't impact the gameplay whatsoever :v:

Endoscopy in general is pretty bad and tedious, I guess.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Endoscopy in general is pretty bad and tedious, I guess.

At least you didn't hear ROCK SOLID every 10 seconds of a 20 minute procedure.

ROCK SOLID.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

At least you didn't hear ROCK SOLID every 10 seconds of a 20 minute procedure.

ROCK SOLID.

On the other hand, orthopedics is not controlled with a completely bullshit control scheme and has some pretty kickass music backing it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

muscles like this? posted:

Also, just read that Bungie is patching Destiny next week to change the way Engrams work. They'll no longer give an item of lesser rarity and are supposed to be adjusted so that they more frequently give a higher level one instead. For example, I've played the game for over 30 hours and had the higher level thing happen exactly once.

I got an exotic machine gun out of a purple. :p

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Saboteur has some issues. I'm not squeamish about some good old-fashioned exploitation but even so, setting a personal revenge story against the background of the Nazi occupation of France seems a bit self-indulgent. So Sean's fighting the Nazis because they killed his friend and shot his car. And, one suspects, that's not necessarily his order of priority, but even apart from that: you'd think them being Nazis and occupying France would be a perfectly good reason for character and player alike. The impression I get is that if it wasn't for the race and his friend he wouldn't give two shits.

Even more than that, though, I'm bothered by the fact that Feeling Good is on the radio. It's from 1964. I wish the game could pass that off as a Bioshock Infinite or Inglourious Basterds thing, but it's not a game that gathers a lot of goodwill as it is.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I got an exotic machine gun out of a purple. :p

For those of us who haven't played the game, does this mean the bullets take their jackets off in a sultry striptease?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

For those of us who haven't played the game, does this mean the bullets take their jackets off in a sultry striptease?

Sadly, it looks like "Exotic" is just the name they use for a certain rare equipment tier. :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Exotic in Destiny are basically set items. A lot of early items are just random.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

you'd think them being Nazis and occupying France would be a perfectly good reason for character and player alike.

Not for the character necessarily. He's Irish, and they were neutral.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

My Lovely Horse posted:

The impression I get is that if it wasn't for the race and his friend he wouldn't give two shits.

I can't believe not every man is a huge loving hero

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

They actually secretly helped the Alies. :ssh:

Search for Rathduff secret aerodrome.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Sheesh, I've got 78 hours and not a single time have I gotten a Legendary out of an Legendary Engram. The loot system in the game is just insanely frustrating and it manages to remind you of it every time you play the game, by teasing you with good stuff and then laughs when you inevitably get more garbage bullshit that you're already drowning in. Not to even mention how frustratingly rare upgrade materials are, I've been stuck at level 27 for what feels like an eternity now since I can't get my equipment upgraded no matter what.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Yeah it's kind of one of his central character traits that he has no love whatsoever for England or the Allies, and it's unsubtly implied that he picked up his sabotage skills from the IRA.

So yeah, he gives not one single poo poo about the war, and frankly, that's more than a little refreshing when you're telling a WWII story.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The inventory system in Earthound. Some SNES classics can get a little outdated at times (Super Metroid, the FF games etc.) but this is really bad. It's really telling that so many people are willing to put up with it time and time again for the writing, which is incredible.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I just finished Sleeping Dogs and I have to say that I'm sorta disappointed in the ending. Sort of. I actually really liked everything about the ending in terms of plot points - Pendrew getting comeuppance was great, taking down Big Smile Lee was great because that guy is a monster, the ridiculous escape-from-torture-tower thing was really satisfying - but it was just so incredibly rushed. The cinematic not-fight between you and Lee was fine, and I think a fitting end of that plotline because Lee's whole thing with Wei is that the two of them are constantly exhausting the others' patience and tempers, but then like three separate plot points were introduced and resolved in about five minutes when they could have each had at least another mission drawn out of each. I want Pendrew to try to prosecute me after everything I did while making it out alive! I want to see Jiang come into power and have a talk with Wei about who he is and where his allegiance is! I don't want all of this to sort of happen in a really poorly written "and everything turned out okay!!" ending because all of those things are good ways to end the story, but not without the proper kind of development that the rest of the game had been so great at.

The rest of the game is fantastic enough to make up for it, and I've heard the DLC is also worth picking up, but that was kind of a frustrating way of wrapping things up. At the very least I'm sure there'll be an even bigger for the next game around, which I'm eagerly looking forward to.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heavy Lobster posted:

I just finished Sleeping Dogs and I have to say that I'm sorta disappointed in the ending. Sort of. I actually really liked everything about the ending in terms of plot points - Pendrew getting comeuppance was great, taking down Big Smile Lee was great because that guy is a monster, the ridiculous escape-from-torture-tower thing was really satisfying - but it was just so incredibly rushed. The cinematic not-fight between you and Lee was fine, and I think a fitting end of that plotline because Lee's whole thing with Wei is that the two of them are constantly exhausting the others' patience and tempers, but then like three separate plot points were introduced and resolved in about five minutes when they could have each had at least another mission drawn out of each. I want Pendrew to try to prosecute me after everything I did while making it out alive! I want to see Jiang come into power and have a talk with Wei about who he is and where his allegiance is! I don't want all of this to sort of happen in a really poorly written "and everything turned out okay!!" ending because all of those things are good ways to end the story, but not without the proper kind of development that the rest of the game had been so great at.

The rest of the game is fantastic enough to make up for it, and I've heard the DLC is also worth picking up, but that was kind of a frustrating way of wrapping things up. At the very least I'm sure there'll be an even bigger for the next game around, which I'm eagerly looking forward to.

The ending and the script in general for Sleeping Dogs went completely to pieces due to a lack of time/funding in finishing the game. A lot of people here kind of brush that under the rug for whatever reason, but it's definitely a major weakness of the game.

The DLC is all terrible and answers nothing. Do not buy it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Austrian mook posted:

The inventory system in Earthound. Some SNES classics can get a little outdated at times (Super Metroid, the FF games etc.) but this is really bad. It's really telling that so many people are willing to put up with it time and time again for the writing, which is incredible.

I never played it, but what's wrong with the inventory system? Is it that drastically different from other games that it's a hindrance?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sire Oblivion posted:

I never played it, but what's wrong with the inventory system? Is it that drastically different from other games that it's a hindrance?

It's really small, and equipment takes up regular inventory spots so it's smaller than it looks. Also, there's no "key item" section so stuff like the sound stone, ATM card, among a ton of other key items all take up a spot. It means that you barely ever have the inventory space to bring healing items along and you can never play around with the condiments feature which they push early on. Also you're constantly depositing and withdrawing your items with Escargot Express and it's pretty frustrating to get through the monkey cave just to need to go all the way out to pick up the pencil eraser that you deposited.

It's really bad and you're struggling with it pretty much the whole game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Heavy Lobster posted:

I got the game free off Xbox Live so I bought some DLC purely because I liked it so much. It was all pretty crappy and I'd have been unhappy with it if I'd paid for the main game. There's a post-ending DLC which has an equally terrible ending, and that annoyed me because you'd think they'd be glad to get a second chance to go out strong. I love Sleeping Dogs a lot but it does feel like a lot of the later story stuff was half-done.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Austrian mook posted:

Some SNES classics can get a little outdated at times (Super Metroid

Usually people don't get mad if you lie on the internet but goddamn you can get shot for saying poo poo like this

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Usually people don't get mad if you lie on the internet but goddamn you can get shot for saying poo poo like this

The controls could have been a lot tighter, speaking as a person who never played the game at release.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Austrian mook posted:

The controls could have been a lot tighter, speaking as a person who never played the game at release.

Have you ever played another Metroid game, ever? They are all kinda floaty.

Y'know, 'cuz space.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Ryoshi posted:

Y'know, 'cuz space.

That's bogus. The GBA Metroids have extremely snappy and awesome controls.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ryoshi posted:

Y'know, 'cuz space.

Zero Mission and Fusion both had tighter controls than Super Metroid, in my opinion. I have never played Metroid 2, and I played the first one for like 5 minutes before turning it off in disgust. It hasn't aged well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
God, gently caress Super Metroid's walljumping to hell and back. That game's walljumping mechanic has got to be the absolute worst I've seen in any platforming game I've ever played.

Also, as much poo poo as I'm sure to catch for this, the pretty much non-existent direction you get in Super Metroid will never not be annoying for me.

Really, Zero Mission did so well with just pointing you in the general direction you need to go to advance the plot and then leaving you to figure everything else out by yourself, but Super Metroid doesn't even have that much and it's like "Dammit, now I'm gonna have to look up a walkthrough again 'cuz I have absolutely no clue where I need to go next again."