Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Evil Sock posted:

So what's the best device for playing off of an external HDD? I already have the thing plugged into my Wii with WiiMC installed, but it chokes on anything above 480p. If it can stream from my PC, that would be a bonus, as well. I rarely use YouTube/Hulu+ for whatever that's worth (on satellite, so limited bandwidth) I was hoping the Amazon Fire would be the ticket, but they seem to have disabled external storage support...

FireTV can play off an external drive if you root it. And like all Android devices, you should root it, because it's yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice! My TV's got a few years under its belt (and only a diagnostics USB port), but it's still going strong, so I'd rather not replace it until it gives up the ghost. I'm no stranger to rooting Android, so I'll give the Fire some more consideration. The Chromecast would be cheaper, but I'm not sure I'd want something without its own dedicated remote. It's still food for thought, though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

An 8x4 allows up to 336Mbps downstream and 120Mbps upstream. A 16 is nice but really not necessary and its possible your isp doesnt' even support 16 channel bonding

TWC requires 16 channel bonding to get their TWC 200 and 300mbps MAXX tiers. It's one of the reasons why 6183 isn't in stock -- most are going straight to the cable companies.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
I recently moved to Chicago and was trying to get an indoor antenna to use. Even though I'm only 4-5 miles from the broadcast towers I get a horrible signal with the Amazon High Performance antenna, probably because my apartment is facing the opposite direction of all the broadcast towers downtown and all the high-rises in the way. Is there a good antenna for this kind of situation: short distance but lots of poo poo in the way?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Toad King posted:

I recently moved to Chicago and was trying to get an indoor antenna to use. Even though I'm only 4-5 miles from the broadcast towers I get a horrible signal with the Amazon High Performance antenna, probably because my apartment is facing the opposite direction of all the broadcast towers downtown and all the high-rises in the way. Is there a good antenna for this kind of situation: short distance but lots of poo poo in the way?

The kind you can mount really high :v:

You would want a highly directional antenna. Most likely the one you have now is omnidirectional since that means a lot less fooling with positioning. A directional antenna would require a lot more fine tuning and maybe repositioning between channel changes but I would say it's your best bet.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Panty Saluter posted:

The kind you can mount really high :v:

You would want a highly directional antenna. Most likely the one you have now is omnidirectional since that means a lot less fooling with positioning. A directional antenna would require a lot more fine tuning and maybe repositioning between channel changes but I would say it's your best bet.

Yeah, every channel I want broadcasts from the same building so that would be the best bet. Are there any recommended directional antennas for indoors? Right now this one seems to pop up a lot: http://www.amazon.com/Amplified-High-Definition-Antenna-Off-Air-Reception/dp/B0007MXZB2/

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I think Terk is generally regarded as OK. I'm kind of a fan of Winegard antennae personally. They don't seem to have a compact directional that I can find and the one I linked could be a little ungainly inside a house. If you can mount it in the attic it might not be a bad idea.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
I'm in an apartment so attic isn't an option. It's on the 7th floor so I was a little surprised the omnidirectional one didn't work.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Toad King posted:

I'm in an apartment so attic isn't an option. It's on the 7th floor so I was a little surprised the omnidirectional one didn't work.

Well if you are surrounded by tall structures (or even just sufficiently near them) the multipath will still be pretty bad. IIRC ATSC was designed with directional antennae in mind so if all your transmitters are in one direction I think a directional antenna will suit you well.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

DangerZoneDelux posted:

This is a pure internet price you can get if you use your own modem. The comcast modem adds the rental fee. It's not a promotion and just available in most markets

For us triple play people, are we stuck paying the rental fee because I can't find a modem that supports Comcast's phone service.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

halokiller posted:

For us triple play people, are we stuck paying the rental fee because I can't find a modem that supports Comcast's phone service.

Alternate option. Don't get home phone service.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Alternate alternate option: Use your data connection to connect to your voip provider of choice. There are plenty of small, cheap interface devices that just connect to your network and throw out a regular ptsn signal on the other end. You can even use a cheap, pre-paid service like voip.ms or flowroute or something if you receive/make only a few calls on your "landline"

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Another option: get a cheap cell and use Ting (or something like it). You'll want to be sure Sprint coverage is good in your area first. The wife and I are very lite phone users so we generally wind up paying around $20 a month. Highest ever was $30. If you can boot the money for the phone up front (or already have an unlocked Sprint phone) it is WELL worth it.

Also they have discounts for referrals so if you feel like signing up, here's my link: https://zbs7s12c0e1.ting.com/ :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

halokiller posted:

Yeah, it's a pure bullshit policy. as if I really give a poo poo about the landline just let me use my own loving modem you cunts.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Time Warner just sent me an email saying they're lowering the price of their Starter TV package to $10.00/month with equipment included (local channels, PBS, TBS, shopping channels).

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

EugeneJ posted:

Time Warner just sent me an email saying they're lowering the price of their Starter TV package to $10.00/month with equipment included (local channels, PBS, TBS, shopping channels).

That's not bad for what amounts to an "I don't want to fool with an antenna" package. It had been closer to 30/month PLUS equipment rental and that's kind of outrageous for local channels, TBS, and a couple of shopping channels.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
My parents are experimenting with moving from Dish to Roku via their phone/DSL company. They have three televisions and are planning on getting a Rokus for each television.

Some might see this as a plus, but not my parents. They'd rather have one remote and the same programing on all televisions (I can also forsee major frustration from three different remotes, even if they label them). In fact, their current dish setup has the receiver outputting HDMI to the main television and coax for the other two.

It seems like there should be a way to split the signal so that the primary TV can continue to receive HDMI and some kind of converting/splitting for the other coax-only input sets.

My research indicates "maybe" with at an HDMI splitter and from that, an HDMI->component converter and from that a component to coax converter. That sounds like a lot of pieces that may not actually work, so I ask, is it possible? If so, does what I've described sound correct or is there a better way?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Cheesus posted:

My parents are experimenting with moving from Dish to Roku via their phone/DSL company. They have three televisions and are planning on getting a Rokus for each television.

Some might see this as a plus, but not my parents. They'd rather have one remote and the same programing on all televisions (I can also forsee major frustration from three different remotes, even if they label them). In fact, their current dish setup has the receiver outputting HDMI to the main television and coax for the other two.

It seems like there should be a way to split the signal so that the primary TV can continue to receive HDMI and some kind of converting/splitting for the other coax-only input sets.

My research indicates "maybe" with at an HDMI splitter and from that, an HDMI->component converter and from that a component to coax converter. That sounds like a lot of pieces that may not actually work, so I ask, is it possible? If so, does what I've described sound correct or is there a better way?

Your parents do not sound like good candidates for cord cutting.

You want all 3 TVs to be playing the same thing, mirrored?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Cheesus posted:

This isn't going to work. If they want them all to play the same content you need to do an HDMI splitter and then get the hdmi signal to each tv over a long hdmi or an ethernet bridge.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Cheesus posted:

Enjoy doing all this work only for your parents to get cable in a month because they can't watch lifetime or the NCIS marathon on USA.

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
Whats the cheapest way to play media from a USB drive of some sort? I've been looking at mini PCs, raspberry pi's, etc but there's so many options from weird small manufacturers that its hard to tell what to trust. I want something around 50 bucks ideally or else I'd just grab a Roku 3, I guess. I'm pretty accustomed to the XBMC set up but it doesnt have to be anything fancy like that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Dauher posted:

Whats the cheapest way to play media from a USB drive of some sort? I've been looking at mini PCs, raspberry pi's, etc but there's so many options from weird small manufacturers that its hard to tell what to trust. I want something around 50 bucks ideally or else I'd just grab a Roku 3, I guess. I'm pretty accustomed to the XBMC set up but it doesnt have to be anything fancy like that.

You can snag a Roku 2 for around $50 or so and it works fine for basic stuff like that. I've been running a plex server off of a Macbook Pro on an as-needed basis purely for streaming media to my Roku 2. It wouldn't work if I needed the files available to stream all the time, but for just wanting to kick back and watch some media that's on my HD up on my TV before bed or whatever, it works just fine.

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
I don't want to Stream tho and I understand Roku 2's don't take a USB drive?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Dauher posted:

I don't want to Stream tho and I understand Roku 2's don't take a USB drive?

Used/refurb WD TV Live then? Works like a champ for local media

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Android Set top box (not stick).

If it REALLY needs to be ~$50, I think the only thing you'll get is an old dual core box. If I were you I would splurge for the ~$85 quad core boxes out now. You can run XBMC like a dream on them. It's what I use.

Here's one for $77 with Prime: http://www.amazon.com/RK3188-Google...&keywords=cs968

That's a RK3188 based (quad core) box generically known as the CS968.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So is a Apple TV pretty cool? Thinking about buying one.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Boris Galerkin posted:

So is a Apple TV pretty cool? Thinking about buying one.

I prefer my Apple TV over all of the other solutions I have tried. I have a Roku 2 in the bedroom but the only time the bedroom tv is on is when wifey wants noise so she can fall asleep so it's always on reruns of Friends or something. In the year plus since getting the Roku I would say we used it for a total of maybe 6 hours so that my nieces can watch Lilo and Stitch.

The Apple TV works best if you are (like me) already invested in the apple ecosystem. I keep all of my movies and tv and music organized through iTunes so it is an elegant solution for it. I had a generation 1 which was okay. I liked the older interface better. I currently have a generation 2 that is jail broken but I never use those features so I am considering getting a gen 3 for the newer software updates.

The only thing it does not have that I wish it had is Amazon prime video.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I am heavily invested in apple products but sold my ATV 2s. They were slow and I never rented anything. I just wanted something silent and back then options were limited.

I now run plex on a Mac mini and an amazon fire tv. Amazon fire tv is so much faster than ATV it's kind of crazy.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It depends on how invested in Apple's ecosystem you really are.

If you use iTunes and have at least 1 iDevice, you'll get a lot of use out of it. You can AirPlay music and video via iTunes or iDevices, access your iTunes library over the network for streaming play, and it integrates with all of Apple's other services so you can access your iCloud accout too.

If you don't use iTunes or don't have any iDevices, it still provides a pretty good overall experience. It's added a bunch of "channels" over the last year or so so you've got better options than just YouTube and Netflix and iTunes. But it isn't the fastest or more innovative product on the market.

All of this is prefaced on Apple not releasing an updated product in the near future (which they are constantly rumored to be doing which could be either a cable box or an Apple-branded TV set).

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

sellouts posted:

I am heavily invested in apple products but sold my ATV 2s. They were slow and I never rented anything. I just wanted something silent and back then options were limited.
I did the same thing - in a house with 3 iPads and 4 iPhones I had 2 jailbroken ATV 2's. I ended up dumping them both and going to a Chromecast/Plex solution. While I could deal with XBMC's flakiness and slowness on the ATV's - the less technically inclined were challenged. Putting Plex on everyone's device has worked great.

I looked at the Fire, a very slick piece of kit, but it's overkill for me.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Managed to track down a Roamio OTA tonight (it took the very confused Best Buy people like a half hour to find it in the back), which will be my first TiVo. Looking forward to setting it up despite a sort-of painful monthly fee.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
If you have an ATV2 (or 1) for defs sell that poo poo on Ebay more mucho buckos and get yourself an AFTV or similar with cash to spare.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just bought the Apple TV. Please tell me there's I way I can use my iPhone's keyboard with the Apple TV because there's no way I'm going to be able to sign into Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, and MLS using that god drat included remote and the on-screen keyboard because all my passwords are like 50 characters long with random capitalizations and symbols.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just bought the Apple TV. Please tell me there's I way I can use my iPhone's keyboard with the Apple TV because there's no way I'm going to be able to sign into Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, and MLS using that god drat included remote and the on-screen keyboard because all my passwords are like 50 characters long with random capitalizations and symbols.

Yeah there's a "Remote" app by Apple in the App Store. It mostly (badly) mimics the hardware remote, but when you're using it and get a text or password field, it'll bring up your iPhone keyboard. Only issue is that (I think) it might require home sharing to be turned on, and you'd need to set up a password for that with the IRL remote.

I could be wrong about that last bit, it's been a while.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

lousy hat posted:

Yeah there's a "Remote" app by Apple in the App Store. It mostly (badly) mimics the hardware remote, but when you're using it and get a text or password field, it'll bring up your iPhone keyboard. Only issue is that (I think) it might require home sharing to be turned on, and you'd need to set up a password for that with the IRL remote.

I could be wrong about that last bit, it's been a while.

I used to love the remote app, swiping to scroll was a godsend for long lists.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

Don Lapre posted:

I used to love the remote app, swiping to scroll was a godsend for long lists.

Definitely better for long lists, but precision swiping can be iffy at best.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Can I send stuff from VLC to my ATV?

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
:siren: You'll be able to watch HBO without a cable subscription in 2015:siren:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Google is putting out their new streaming player:

http://www.google.com/nexus/player/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

Google is putting out their new streaming player:

http://www.google.com/nexus/player/

Was not expecting a quad core atom. Goes on sale 10/17