Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

....whaaaattttt

loving online multiplayer? I have never ever even heard of this. For Christ's sake.

On the topic of VIII, should I replay it? Last time I touched it was when I was 14 or something, even though VII and IX are yearly replays for me. I know the gamepaly is pretty broen and the story is what it is, but are there any redeeming qualities?

Yeah, it was weird. It let you create your own Deep Ground character and take on either competitive or cooperative missions and it even had its own plot. Most of the Extra Missions in the US version are slightly-altered versions of multiplayer missions.

This is also why it supported mouse and keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kanfy posted:

E: Also why would you do Ultimates with bursts on in the first place?

I enjoy the havoc! I get my rear end kicked but like ApplesandOranges said, so (usually) does the opponent.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

fronz posted:

I just played an international VS match in CC because nobody was on domestically, got someone with 9999 battle rank who chose final battle and crit everything but 5 or 6 notes on ultimate with EX bursts on

these people exist

I usually fight those guys to get kickass quest medleys, but my best online experience was when I played one of XIII's boss songs on ulti against one of them and we BOTH perfect critical'ed the whole thing. It was magical.

...Also, apparantly when that happens the win goes to the person with less online battle ranking :devil:

Gamwhiz1 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 28, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How Rude posted:

Everyone makes fun of Squall. There are no exceptions, whether it be Quistis, Selphie, Zell, Rinoa, etc.

Huh maybe part of Squall being so reclusive is he hates everyone around him for being loud, annoying idiots, which is pretty much his whole party throughout the game. I'd be pretty grumpy if I had Zell and Selphie constantly squealing and hopping around like dumbfucks.

FFVIII and FFX worlds are like in direct opposition to their protagonists, so having Tidus be the protagonist in FFVIII and Squall be the one from FFX would be a pretty interesting experience.

...Well FFVIII would be more interesting, FFX would probably be super dreary.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

ManOfTheYear posted:

....whaaaattttt

loving online multiplayer? I have never ever even heard of this. For Christ's sake.

On the topic of VIII, should I replay it? Last time I touched it was when I was 14 or something, even though VII and IX are yearly replays for me. I know the gamepaly is pretty broen and the story is what it is, but are there any redeeming qualities?

I hadn't played it since it had first come out, but it's probably one of my favorite FF games except for maybe VI which I've played so much there's just nothing left there for me. Its broken gameplay is half the fun. Junctioning a hundred curaga to your hp at level 10 while you're still in the very early game and just destroying everything is satisfying. The story, though nonsensical at times, at least moves forward at a decent pace but I kind of wish they were a bit more direct in what I have to do. There were a few times I was just wondering around going "Ok, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now." I also like all the side poo poo it has going on.

It's also not nearly as long as I thought it would be. I'm at 30 hours, and will probably finish it within the next 10 depending on how much AP i decide to grind out. Also haven't decided if I want to try and kill Omega and Ultima weapons since I'm currently at 31 (stupid Bahamut jumped me from 23 to 31 with his stupid dragons).

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
FF8 has a really intriguing but empty-feeling setting, interesting but disgustingly broken system, and a cool plot that completely loving falls apart at some point between halfway and two-thirds into the game. It's kind of a mess of a game, but I like it anyway.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I got a level 1 short quest medley with Dancing Mad as the boss song and Movers as the first encounter in it, so I can loop it like three times for 12k XP per run :getin:

This will have to do until I get to the point where I can ace Ultimate Field Medleys or whatever.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

FFVIII and FFX worlds are like in direct opposition to their protagonists, so having Tidus be the protagonist in FFVIII and Squall be the one from FFX would be a pretty interesting experience.

...Well FFVIII would be more interesting, FFX would probably be super dreary.
Actually, Squall fit in just fine in FFX-2. Don't know why they made him a girl, though. :v:

FFVIII's fun, try not to think about the story, keep at a lowish level but don't stress about getting a bit of EXP every now and then.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm pretty sure Paine is Squall + Lulu. I certainly like her more than Squall, even if a lot of her subplot is optional. Then again, over half of X-2 is optional.

Maybe I should get X/X-2 HD for X-2 HD and the new Dresspheres. Oh and Last Mission.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Actually, Squall fit in just fine in FFX-2. Don't know why they made him a girl, though. :v:

FFVIII's fun, try not to think about the story, keep at a lowish level but don't stress about getting a bit of EXP every now and then.

After watching Leovinus's last failed LP of it and how little he cared about leveling, I decided to just give no fucks about levels and just threw on Enc-None in the particularly annoying areas like the sewers or if I was item/draw hunting. it really doesn't matter. as long as you junction right, the game still isn't going to come close to catching you.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

After watching Leovinus's last failed LP of it and how little he cared about leveling, I decided to just give no fucks about levels and just threw on Enc-None in the particularly annoying areas like the sewers or if I was item/draw hunting. it really doesn't matter. as long as you junction right, the game still isn't going to come close to catching you.

You lose out on a lot of ap that way. I found the best thing is to just wail on the enemy for a turn or two and then card them. That way you get the AP, no experience and you can refine the card into spells or whatever.

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm pretty sure Paine is Squall + Lulu. I certainly like her more than Squall, even if a lot of her subplot is optional. Then again, over half of X-2 is optional.

Maybe I should get X/X-2 HD for X-2 HD and the new Dresspheres. Oh and Last Mission.

Does the HD remaster still have the crazy requirements for some of the side missions in X-2?

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
The best VIII character is Seifer, because he has an actual character arc and is actually a black ops agent for Balamb that gets corrupted.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Leper Residue posted:

You lose out on a lot of ap that way. I found the best thing is to just wail on the enemy for a turn or two and then card them. That way you get the AP, no experience and you can refine the card into spells or whatever.

Does the HD remaster still have the crazy requirements for some of the side missions in X-2?

Like what? (I don't know of any actual gameplay changes other than the monster battling thing and the new dresspheres)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I think the intent of the romance arc in FFVIII was "here's this morose jackass, always pushin' folks away because his tragic past left him unable to trust others; BUT THEN he meets a girl who refuses to be chased off, and she just will not quit trying to bring him out of his shell; BUT THEN she slips into a coma or whatever and he belatedly realizes that it worked and now he really misses her." If you're generous with your interpretation of the writing, you could even argue they pulled it off--Rinoa's initial attraction remains a mystery, alas, but then she also dated Seifer so maybe she's just hot for rude boys with dumb weapons.

Frankly, I don't feel the writing was good enough to convey that clearly, and even if it had it leaves all the other stupid poo poo in the plot: Ultimecia, amnesiac orphanage, NORG... Remember NORG, Bart? Well, now he's back in grotesque filler boss form.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

AP is a non-issue when you can just grind it out on the cactuars in Disc 3/4. The biggest chunks you get are from bosses, anyway, and I doubt you're really losing out on much by having Enc-None on in the sewers and not fighting 20 Creeps.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

fronz posted:

Like what? (I don't know of any actual gameplay changes other than the monster battling thing and the new dresspheres)

Stuff like not skipping any cutscenes, a certain conversation you can't skip at all, and I believe there were a few other very time sensitive things you had to do in order to finish certain side quests.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kulkasha posted:

The best VIII character is Seifer, because he has an actual character arc and is actually a black ops agent for Balamb that gets corrupted.

Seifer's biggest problem is that, in the end, his arc is basically a less interesting version of Cloud's. He's got a hero complex and clearly wants to be the hero but isn't the hero. That was interesting with Cloud because he was the main character and it was used well.

Seifer never doing anything but being the wannabe-hero could have been cool but they just don't do anything with it. Squall isn't a strong enough character to contrast with Seifer's hero-worship.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rangpur posted:

I think the intent of the romance arc in FFVIII was "here's this morose jackass, always pushin' folks away because his tragic past left him unable to trust others; BUT THEN he meets a girl who refuses to be chased off, and she just will not quit trying to bring him out of his shell; BUT THEN she slips into a coma or whatever and he belatedly realizes that it worked and now he really misses her." If you're generous with your interpretation of the writing, you could even argue they pulled it off--Rinoa's initial attraction remains a mystery, alas, but then she also dated Seifer so maybe she's just hot for rude boys with dumb weapons.

Frankly, I don't feel the writing was good enough to convey that clearly, and even if it had it leaves all the other stupid poo poo in the plot: Ultimecia, amnesiac orphanage, NORG... Remember NORG, Bart? Well, now he's back in grotesque filler boss form.

I love NORG. Also I think the moral of FFVIII was "Love Finds A Way." Remember that Squall is Laguna's son and Rinoa is Julia's daughter. it was a cruel twist of fate that Laguna and Julia didn't get together so now their children are falling in love and living happily ever after where their parents couldn't. Because General Caraway is completely forgotten about, poor guy.

Kulkasha posted:

Seconded. Seifer is one of the few redeeming features about VIII.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

How Rude posted:

I'd be pretty grumpy if I had Zell and Selphie constantly squealing and hopping around like dumbfucks.

Right? Weird thing is I love them as characters, they're two of my favorites in the game, but drat would they drive me to suicide if I actually had to put up with them.

PS Sade is right, the game is riddled with flaws and I can't help but love it anyway. Meanwhile IX is a far, far better put together game in just about every respect and I couldn't give less of a poo poo about it. :shrug:

PPS NORG rules.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Am I supposed to know who NORG is when he's introduced in the game? Until that point I had thought Cid was the garden master.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Leper Residue posted:

Am I supposed to know who NORG is when he's introduced in the game? Until that point I had thought Cid was the garden master.

Nah, it's yet another FF8 plot point completely out of left-field.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are some NPCs who are like "how the gently caress does Cid pay for this poo poo?" but that's about it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's even more hilarious because several of the students you can talk to during the Garden Civil War are like "so...who the hell is this Garden Master guy anyway?"

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Leper Residue posted:

Stuff like not skipping any cutscenes, a certain conversation you can't skip at all, and I believe there were a few other very time sensitive things you had to do in order to finish certain side quests.

Nope, drop the controller whenever somebody talks :cool:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

NikkolasKing posted:

Seconded. Seifer is one of the few redeeming features about VIII.

Seifer will always remain in my heart as the guy who performed the most badass feat in Final Fantasy since Sabin's train suplex:

He out-Zantetsuken'd Odin.

Even if he gets blown away by Gilgamesh afterwards, that is hella :black101:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

NikkolasKing posted:

Remember that Squall is Laguna's son and Rinoa is Julia's daughter.

Wait wait wait... the gently caress!?

I've played this game through three (3!) times and I don't think I've ever remembered this detail. That means Squall was peeping on his dad's dating habits....this game is creepy as gently caress. :psyduck:

FFVIII so poorly conveys its ideas and tropes that half the interesting plot things are obscured by bullshit like GF memory loss and sorceress time bullshit.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Can someone please tell me how to pronounce Seifer because that always bugged me. When I played Dissidia I realised I was probably saying it wrong because I was already messing up Ultimecia (and teedus)

It's See-fer right

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Can someone please tell me how to pronounce Seifer because that always bugged me. When I played Dissidia I realised I was probably saying it wrong because I was already messing up Ultimecia (and teedus)

It's See-fer right

Sai-fer.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Help Im Alive posted:

It's See-fer right

sigh - fer

Someone hasn't played Kingdom Hearts 2 :smug:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

How Rude posted:

Wait wait wait... the gently caress!?

I've played this game through three (3!) times and I don't think I've ever remembered this detail. That means Squall was peeping on his dad's dating habits....this game is creepy as gently caress. :psyduck:

Not that it makes it any less creepy to the audience, but Squall's never made aware that Laguna's his dad.

Help Im Alive posted:

It's See-fer right

It's pronounced like "Cypher" if I'm reading this correctly 'サイファー'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Not that it makes it any less creepy to the audience, but Squall's never made aware that Laguna's his dad..

Yes he is though he never responds to it. Kirios offhandedly mentions it to him after they meet him in the real world.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's pronounced like "Cypher" if I'm reading this correctly 'サイファー'.

That's more like "sigh - far", ain't it?

Either way it's definitely not "See-fer", sorry. :v:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes he is though he never responds to it. Kiros offhandedly mentions it to him after they meet him in the real world.

Does he? Well, drat, I didn't remember that. I know it was implied to the player, didn't know Squall knows.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Does he? Well, drat, I didn't remember that. I know it was implied to the player, didn't know Squall knows.

Looking it up, he doesn't say "Laguna is your father" but he tells Squall that Squall is lucky he looks like his mother and not his father, which really feels like something Squall should respond to no matter what.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

Looking it up, he doesn't say "Laguna is your father" but he tells Squall that Squall is lucky he looks like his mother and not his father, which really feels like something Squall should respond to no matter what.

Huh. Yeah, it's still kinda weird then. That's something that really should have been followed up on. Amid all the other random plot elements, it's odd that they don't really follow that one through to a story conclusion and leave it, I don't want to say ambiguous as such, but unresolved.

I guess by that point, the makers were so high off gas fumes, they plain didn't give a poo poo. :v:

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Anyone else think the notSquall in KH looked more thematically appropriate than Squall's actual design? He even has Laguna's hairstyle.
As an aside, both Laguna and Jecht are way more interesting than their sons.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Kulkasha posted:

As an aside, both Laguna and Jecht are way more interesting than their sons.

Going even further back, I'm pretty sure not a single person on this planet considers Krile cooler than her granddad.

Bossie Lott
Nov 21, 2010
Been replaying FF8 recently on a whim and I know the general consensus is that disc 1 is the best (and I do agree with that) but good god it's still really poorly paced.

I get that they were trying to really hammer home the whole high-school setting thing and the importance of the Garden but there's so much backtracking and stupid minutiae involved early on. Go to this location, then walk back to garden, now go here, now walk back to garden, walk to your room, get changed, cutscene, go back to room, get changed again, go back to your room again etc. I feel like a lot of this stuff could've been cut down. I'm probably wrong but 7 and 9 had you moving forward and visiting new areas at a pretty brisk pace in the early stages and if you were going to spend a long time in an area it wasn't so you could walk back and forth changing clothes (Wall Market excepted but that was actually fun).

Also someone above mentioned the game being really vague about what exactly you're supposed to be doing at points and I think that's fairly accurate. It's linear so it's not like you get lost but you are left questioning what the narrative importance of a few things is even at this early stage. If nothing else the Dollet mission needed a bit more build up or exposition. I can actually remember playing FF8 when it first came out and being all like "Who the gently caress are the G-Army?"

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

morallyobjected posted:

AP is a non-issue when you can just grind it out on the cactuars in Disc 3/4. The biggest chunks you get are from bosses, anyway, and I doubt you're really losing out on much by having Enc-None on in the sewers and not fighting 20 Creeps.

Yeah, this. I used Enc-None constantly and had no issue finishing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

PS Sade is right, the game is riddled with flaws and I can't help but love it anyway.
There is nothing wrong with liking games! However

Mister Adequate posted:

Meanwhile IX is a far, far better put together game in just about every respect and I couldn't give less of a poo poo about it. :shrug:
This! How can you be so wrong?

There is nothing in FFIX that is not worth giving a poo poo about :colbert: