Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Acquire Currency! posted:

Ahahahah

E: that guy is dead

Nah, even thought it literally knocked him out of his shoes, he was fine (Aside from the fractured wrist, vertebrae, bruised liver & lungs, etc.) He tackled the same event two years later and won the gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
This is pretty interesting a bunch of Disney animators making some episodic show

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hullabaloo-steampunk-animated-film#home

I mean as long as there are no unnecessary cogs I won't hate it.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

achillesforever6 posted:

This is pretty interesting a bunch of Disney animators making some episodic show

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hullabaloo-steampunk-animated-film#home

I mean as long as there are no unnecessary cogs I won't hate it.

I'll donate so long as I win a certain bet, but I'm a bit peeved by their smart decision to ensure more money by inserting a filler documentary in front of their "final" episode. I hope that this leads to a Cartoon Hangover type oline splinter studio.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Teen Titans Go is starting to become a downer series.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
The Wakfu english dub is surprisingly bad, like really bad.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sithsaber posted:

You have baby hands dont you

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Neo Helbeast posted:

dubbed anime is always bad though?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

icantfindaname posted:

dubbed anime is always bad though?

Except the ones that aren't. And most are just baseline bad, some of them take bad to an artform. I have no idea if Wakfu is one of them.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Wakfu is a French show, not an anime.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Corek posted:

Code Lyoko was French and also an anime so this proves nothing. :colbert:

(I just looked it up, it doesn't look very anime but dear god is that animation bad)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sithsaber posted:

"Starting"?

It is the only DC Comics based cartoon on right now and it happens to be the Superman 64 of DC cartoons.

I mean it's a perfect fit for DC the way they have been going comics wise but it makes for shite television.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Rual's voice is what really drags it down. Why they went with a Yoda voice, given all attempts at that (that don't involve Yoda) always sound like arse is beyond me.

Every one else is at least acceptable (Nox could be a bit more insane but hey, calm insanity works too) but they really screwed up with Rual.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 17, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jsor posted:

Code Lyoko was French and also an anime so this proves nothing. :colbert:

(I just looked it up, it doesn't look very anime but dear god is that animation bad)

Code Lyoko or Wakfu?

It's the same deal with both, they're basically French imitation anime. Not that there's anything wrong with that. They had Masaaki Yuasa make an episode of Wakfu, according to Wikipedia, and the company that made the show has apparently commissioned or produced a bunch of mangas based on their games

quote:

Ankama Editions has released a comic called Mutafukaz, which is very successful in France and can also be obtained while buying subscriptions to the Dofus game.

Artbooks Dofus
Dofus manga
Original SoundTrack Dofus
Mutafukaz comic book (bd)
Pandala comic book (bd)
Dofus arena manga
Maliki, comic book (bd)
Dofus monster manga
kuma-kuma manga
Chaosland comic book (bd)
Artbook Café Salé
Dofus mag
Debaser manga
Freaks Squeele comic book (bd)
Kanvict comic book (bd)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

icantfindaname posted:

Code Lyoko or Wakfu?

It's the same deal with both, they're basically French imitation anime. Not that there's anything wrong with that. They had Masaaki Yuasa make an episode of Wakfu, according to Wikipedia, and the company that made the show has apparently commissioned or produced a bunch of mangas based on their games

I meant Wakfu's animation, I rather like Lyoko's, even the outdated 3D stuff. I don't know how to describe it, it just looks kind of... flat? Like, there's a very obvious foreground layer and background layer. The characters don't blend well with the backgrounds, even on still screens.

And something about the way the characters move seems... off. Somehow. Like there aren't very many frames or something.

It may have been a deliberate stylistic choice, I don't know, but if so it's not one I like.

E: Actually, come to think of it, it reminds me of the really middling-quality amateur Newgrounds animations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

"Starting"?

It is the only DC Comics based cartoon on right now and it happens to be the Superman 64 of DC cartoons.

I mean it's a perfect fit for DC the way they have been going comics wise but it makes for shite television.

I will fight you.

Plus how can you call it the Superman 64 of DC cartoons when Green Lantern TAS literally looks like a N64/PS1 game.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jsor posted:

I meant Wakfu's animation, I rather like Lyoko's, even the outdated 3D stuff. I don't know how to describe it, it just looks kind of... flat? Like, there's a very obvious foreground layer and background layer. The characters don't blend well with the backgrounds, even on still screens.

And something about the way the characters move seems... off. Somehow. Like there aren't very many frames or something.

It may have been a deliberate stylistic choice, I don't know, but if so it's not one I like.

E: Actually, come to think of it, it reminds me of the really middling-quality amateur Newgrounds animations.

Well, that makes sense, considering it's flash animated apparantly

quote:

Wakfu: The Animated Series is a French animated television series produced by Ankama Animation, based on the video game, Wakfu. The first season of 26 episodes began airing on 30 October 2008, and new episodes will continue to air into January 2010 on France 3. The show is animated with Adobe Flash software; all the production is done in France except the episode 22 "Rubilax" and the special episode "Noximilien", both produced in Japan. The series is directed by Anthony "Tot" Roux, and character design is directed by Xavier "Xa" Houssin and Kim "Tcho" Etinoff.[1] During the London MCM Expo, the first two episodes were shown for the first time in English and it is now known that an English version has been planned via Kickstarter. A spin-off called Mini-Wakfu, which features humorous shorts with characters depicted in super deformed style, has aired since September 2009. The special episode "Noximilien l'Horloger", which tell the origins of the main antagonist, Nox, was produced in Japan, it features a radically different art style made by the same team of animators who worked on Kaiba and Kemonozume, it was directed by Eunyoung Choi with Masaaki Yuasa on character design. A Kickstarter campaign to produce an English language dub of the series was launched in January 2014.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakfu:_The_Animated_Series

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

icantfindaname posted:

Well, that makes sense, considering it's flash animated apparantly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakfu:_The_Animated_Series

I figured, but Flash is a tool. I mean Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and 6Teen are both in Flash and don't have the problem. Hell, terrible as it is, I don't remember Johnny Test having the problem. Yes, it's a typical Flash problem, but not an inevitable one.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I will fight you.

Plus how can you call it the Superman 64 of DC cartoons when Green Lantern TAS literally looks like a N64/PS1 game.

I saw the Mogo episode, and his jungle kinda look like the environment in Spore at medium detail.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like Teen Titans Go, especially since it pisses off fans of the original series which I think was overrated.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TwoPair posted:

I will fight you.

Even then Green Lantern TAS was good and left this world far too early, TTG is still great though

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Jsor posted:

I figured, but Flash is a tool. I mean Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and 6Teen are both in Flash and don't have the problem. Hell, terrible as it is, I don't remember Johnny Test having the problem. Yes, it's a typical Flash problem, but not an inevitable one.

Pretty sure Superjail is animated in Flash, as well.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gaunab posted:

I like Teen Titans Go, especially since it pisses off fans of the original series which I think was overrated.

It pisses me off because it's a lovely "comedy" that looks like Adobe Flash had a baby with a train wreck in progress.

If it's only issue was ripping piss out of the original series then it'd be great.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 17, 2014

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Haha, mad at cartoons.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

Haha, mad at cartoons.
Hey, I like my entertainment to entertain and my comedy to be funny.

Go does neither.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Well GO! does both for some, others on occasion, and for the rest like you it doesn't. People are generally irrational creatures with opinions that 99% of the population can't change. This has been internet 101, shut up already.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Corek posted:

That makes it... an anime?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Cardboard Box A posted:

That makes it... an anime?

Yeah. Where do you think the Japanese got the word from?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Anime:Weeaboo::Wakfu:Ouiabeau

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Sockser posted:

Thanks for clearing that up :psyduck:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sockser posted:

Oh my god :vince:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Flash can't be used as an excuse for somethign looking like poo poo. Yes it's not the best tool for animation but on the other hand this was made in Flash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3aQcDfnWws

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Wakfu may have some issues with storytelling and how it's animated, but it does not look like poo poo. See: any fight scene with Nox.
Probably the flash thing was from inexperience, Dofus definately did not have the same animation issues. And really it's a cartoon add for a crappy mmorpg, it has no right to have any watchabillity whatsoever, let alone the strength of the season finale.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.

axleblaze posted:

Flash can't be used as an excuse for somethign looking like poo poo. Yes it's not the best tool for animation but on the other hand this was made in Flash:

Agree with you and all but that video looks kinda poo poo :shrug:. Awkward and stiff motions, obvious layers, distinct flash objects that make the whole thing too "clean" for its rough art style. Basically everything Flash gets criticized for.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Teen Titans Go is awesome

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rita Repulsa posted:

Wakfu may have some issues with storytelling and how it's animated, but it does not look like poo poo. See: any fight scene with Nox.
Probably the flash thing was from inexperience, Dofus definately did not have the same animation issues. And really it's a cartoon add for a crappy mmorpg, it has no right to have any watchabillity whatsoever, let alone the strength of the season finale.

Just watching Vampyro there reminded me of just how good the fight choreography was in Wakfu given it could have very easily devolved into ki blasts and Kirito Swordplay.

That and sometimes it's just so darn charming.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ConanThe3rd posted:

"Starting"?

No such thing as a wrong opinion, but damned if you aren't trying your hardest here.

achillesforever6 posted:

Even then Green Lantern TAS was good and left this world far too early, TTG is still great though

If there is a Superman 64 of DC cartoons, Beware the Batman would be it. Goddamn was that an ugly loving show.

axleblaze posted:

Flash gets a bad rap because it's a cheap and easy way to make animations, which means that a bunch of no-effort / no-talent poo poo is going to get made using it.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 18, 2014

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
This Week on TTG: Never let yourself become inspired. It's not worth it, bro.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Macaluso posted:

Teen Titans Go is awesome
Yes. Especially how they play Trigon as a family sitcom father.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There aren't any more saturday-morning cartoons, are there? That makes me very sad for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jack Gladney posted:

There aren't any more saturday-morning cartoons, are there? That makes me very sad for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.

Welcome to the death of your childhood. Or a tangible disconnect between your past and your present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

No there are definitely still shows selling toys / Saturday morning cartoons. Toy animes like Yugioh, Pokemon, Beyblade come to mind, along with DC/Marvel cartoons. There seem to be a lot of CGI cartoons, like Transformers and TMNT. The CGI is generally bad IMO, although realistically speaking saturday morning cartoon animation was always really bad.

The only thing that no longer exists, from what I can tell, are syndicated animation blocks run by non-cable networks. The shows are still around, they're just being interspersed with other programming on Cartoon Network, Nicktoons, and Disney XD.

To be honest, without the nostalgia most of those shows are/were garbage and not worth watching unless you're a literal child with nothing better to do. I enjoyed watching Pokemon when I was 10 years old, but going back to it today yeeesh that is some dire stuff. I don't think they're going to go away either, the lure of selling toys is too strong. Even anime, which is now 20 years past its introduction, seems to be doing fine. I was surprised that poo poo like Yugioh is apparently still popular enough to get made and broadcast

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 29, 2014