Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

I haven't watched any of the new fall premieres, can someone trustworthy (ie anyone who liked Rectify, for example) tell me which ones to make a priority? Obviously Sleepy Hollow, but what about new shows?

No new shows of note yet in the Fall Season that I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Deadpool posted:

No new shows of note yet in the Fall Season that I've seen.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. Gotham has potential, but the pilot had some amazingly execrable dialogue and the setting is pretty limited in that you know, right from the outset, that Gordon is going to be fighting a losing battle (because Batman eventually needs to appear). Forever on ABC didn't do much for me, but I'll readily admit that Ioan Gruffudd is almost always a non-starter for me.

But it's also a little early -- most networks aren't premiering their new programming for another week or two, presumably because they want viewers to get back into the habit of realizing that first-run programming is on TV again.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 29, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The only new show I'm actually looking forward to is Constantine. Everything else I'll wait and see if they're any good, or if they don't get canceled.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Timby posted:

But it's also a little early -- most networks aren't premiering their new programming for another week or two, presumably because they want viewers to get back into the habit of realizing that first-run programming is on TV again.

To put this more accurately, they're making sure they don't fill up everyone's DVRs all at once.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm looking forward to Flash and I enjoyed Forever.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The season 2 finale of Ray Donovan was bonkers as poo poo. A whole hell of a lot of loose ends tied up in 55 minutes. Season 3 should be interesting.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Precision, I really enjoyed the premiere of the Red Band Society, so that might be worth checking out.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

IRQ posted:

The thing is that the thoughts everyone posted when the show first aired turned out to be true (it was purgatory).

That's not really true.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How are there still people who think the ending of LOST was "they were in purgatory all along", oh mannn

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Speaking of purgatory that whole thing with the temple with the Japanese guy and the translator sure was a waste of time.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

a waste of time.

The LOST tagline.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

precision posted:

I haven't watched any of the new fall premieres, can someone trustworthy (ie anyone who liked Rectify, for example) tell me which ones to make a priority? Obviously Sleepy Hollow, but what about new shows?
New shows?

Gotham (goes along with Sleepy Hollow)
Forever
Red Band Society
Black-ish
Selfie (John Cho does Pygmalion)
Constantine
The Flash
Gracepoint (remake)
Galavant (ironically)
Z-Nation (unironically)

Bown posted:

How are there still people who think the ending of LOST was "they were in purgatory all along", oh mannn
At the end of the finale ABC showed b-roll of the wreckage at the beach with no one alive. It was an easy conclusion to jump to.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 29, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anybody here watch Transparent?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The only pilot I've really liked so far was How to Get Away With Murder. It's set at a law school, where the professor (Viola Davis) is a practicing defense attorney, and unlike most defense attorney shows, the client is pretty clearly guilty. The opening five minutes of the pilot has four students panicking because they've just murdered someone, and it flashes back three months, then goes back and forth all episode.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The only pilot I've really liked so far was How to Get Away With Murder. It's set at a law school, where the professor (Viola Davis) is a practicing defense attorney, and unlike most defense attorney shows, the client is pretty clearly guilty. The opening five minutes of the pilot has four students panicking because they've just murdered someone, and it flashes back three months, then goes back and forth all episode.

I don't know if I said this earlier in this thread or in another thread, precision, but the tone of How to Get Away reminds me a little bit of Doug Liman's Getting In, if you've ever heard of that movie.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

At the end of the finale ABC showed b-roll of the wreckage at the beach with no one alive. It was an easy conclusion to jump to.

If that's literally all you watched of the finale, sure.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Bown posted:

Some people care too much that the last scene in the flash sideways was it and everything else on the island in the 6 seasons before then didn't count.

Also I thought the credit roll with the plane wreckage was just extra stuff they had, not MENACING HINTS.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Thanks for all the game shows recommendations, everyone.

Lugaloco posted:

Only Connect. It's so dry but so, so good.

This, Pointless and The Chase might be the only three 'game shows' from the UK I know that are almost as fun as their panel shows. There are literally no audience with them in the studio, are there? It is almost cringeworthy when there is absolute silence following any of Victoria's jokes. I kinda wish they have an audience, watching Only Connect is an odd experience coming from American game shows. Or even other UK game shows like Countdown.

CobiWann posted:

Old school (late 70's/early 80's) Card Sharks.

Harlock posted:

Press Your Luck, Supermarket Sweep, Card Sharks.

Card Sharks is perhaps the simplest out of all three, with pure guesswork on all Rounds. The initial round where you have to guess between 1 and 100 is a bit harder (remind me of Wits and Wagers, the board game), but it is still far easier compared to the other two shows. Not saying it wasn't entertaining, but man, Supermarket Sweep just have that higher intensity with the limited chase through the fake supermarket. Press Your Luck's ability to pass your Spins is genius and I love that show to bits.

Argue posted:

Does The Genius count? If you've ever read Liar Game, this is the game show version of that.

No it doesn't count because it's too good :mad: also it's less of a game show and more of a reality competition show to the likes of The Bachelor or MasterChef except with mind games instead of cooking challenges. Also also I watched all two seasons.

Manos del Sino posted:

Wheel of Fortune and Family Feud are probably my two favorite game shows that aren't Jeopardy.

Before I decided to search around YouTube for game shows, my only game show-related past time is to look up hilarious Family Feud answers. Steve Harvey has the best reaction face to ridiculous answers.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

If you're looking for old, speedy, and 'murican, there's a handful of the 1970s run of "Split Second" worth checking out. Also, "Whew!" is pretty awesome, if a little short and complicated.

If you're looking for more recent and international, I'll add to the love for Only Connect, (the app version just hit the US and Canadian App Store. If you have an ipad, it's worth the $1.99).

Episodes of "Million Dollar Minute" from Australia have started showing up on YouTube, and it's a pretty decent cash-only version of "Sale of the Century."

Split Second is awesome. So many questions, so little time. The episode I watched had an old guy who's a 4-day champion who was left behind in the first round but end up getting to the final round by being able to count backwards in calendar months. Simply astounding.

Hey, the guy who hosted the Australian Million Dollar Minute is now hosting the Australian Family Feud! He’s a mediocre host in both. In terms of the show, I’d rank it as above “Who Wants to be a Millionaire” and below “Million Pound Drop”. Its just so-so.

Mo0 posted:

There was only the one season, and they picked Dennis Miller to do interstitial hosting for some reason, but Grand Slam is great fun.
Just like in "Whew!", I wonder if, because the host has to read the questions, it is not fair to have long questions for a time-limited round. Anyway, I liked how there's a brief period of commentary after each round, where the two commentators pry open what each candidate did wrong and right, complete with stats, which is breaking my mind. I'm sure actual competitors of quiz bowls and the like do use statistics to rate their performance, but to see such nerdery-upon-nerdery on actual television is extraordinary. The fact that it's a tournament and its competitors are not simply winners but great winners of other game shows might contribute to its brevity, though.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

toanoradian posted:

Thanks for all the game shows recommendations, everyone.

This, Pointless and The Chase might be the only three 'game shows' from the UK I know that are almost as fun as their panel shows. There are literally no audience with them in the studio, are there? It is almost cringeworthy when there is absolute silence following any of Victoria's jokes. I kinda wish they have an audience, watching Only Connect is an odd experience coming from American game shows. Or even other UK game shows like Countdown.

For Only Connect I feel it might lose something if an audience was added in. The lack of one gives a unique tone and lets the focus be purely on the quizzing rather than trying to entertain a live audience. There's no big prize, no frills, glitz or glamour, just two teams battling it out for the sheer satisfaction of winning.

Don't get me wrong, Pointless is a great show but my god sometimes it drags its feet in getting to the actual "game" part. Sometimes you just want a show that's no nonsense with minimal jokes (that are preferably bad) and Only Connect fills that void.

If you really want a Quiz with a capital Q though then University Challenge is the daddy of them all as I'm sure you probably know already.

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 29, 2014

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Mu Zeta posted:

Speaking of purgatory that whole thing with the temple with the Japanese guy and the translator sure was a waste of time.

Hiroyuki Sanada has played an infuriatingly cryptic and withholding douche in like the last 5 things I've seen him in.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Lugaloco posted:

For Only Connect I feel it might lose something if an audience was added in. The lack of one gives a unique tone and lets the focus be purely on the quizzing rather than trying to entertain a live audience. There's no big prize, no frills, glitz or glamour, just two teams battling it out for the sheer satisfaction of winning.

Don't get me wrong, Pointless is a great show but my god sometimes it drags its feet in getting to the actual "game" part. Sometimes you just want a show that's no nonsense with minimal jokes (that are preferably bad) and Only Connect fills that void.

Only Connect is clearly set in purgatory, like Season 6 of Lost!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Bown posted:

When I see that, I generally assume that they're just trolling Lost fans.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Parks and Rec season 6 is up on Netflix. Hadn't watched anything past the season premiere, and it holds up. Still some of the funniest stuff out there, plus character growth up the wazoo.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sober posted:

Some people care too much that the last scene in the flash sideways was it and everything else on the island in the 6 seasons before then didn't count.

Well yeah, because they plainly misunderstood what happened.

Lycus posted:

When I see that, I generally assume that they're just trolling Lost fans.

I'm inclined to think that they are just that stupid, to be honest.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

Its not as good as baseball, the only documentary that made me spend 20 hours on a sport I hate.

I liked it, but it should have been titled "Baseball - as seen from New York or Boston".

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

toanoradian posted:

Only Connect is clearly set in purgatory, like Season 6 of Lost!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

raditts posted:

I forgot this show even existed. Weren't there trailers for it like a year or more ago?

Unfortunately this idea is disproven by the fact that you can see the pictures of whoever's posting in any given Facebook comment thread.

I suppose, but I was thinking more along the lines of the more anonymous boards like the chans or whatever.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Anyone watch Madam Secretary?

I didn't realize the Sec of State could order military operations, both special forces and CIA, and hire mercenaries. Also special force ops report to her before the POTUS.

Also no way her CIA friend is dead, he faked it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
You know who we haven't complained about in a while? Lena Dunham. And this time it's bullshit she most definitely deserves to be called out for.

quote:

Last month, the writer, actor and producer Lena Dunham started an ambitious project. Nearly 600 people responded to an open call for video auditions on her website, including a sand artist, a ukulele player, a cappella singers, gymnasts, performance artists and stand-up comics, even some exceptionally charismatic babies.

The seven who made the final cut won't be making cameos in "Girls," Ms. Dunham's HBO show about Brooklyn 20-somethings. Instead, they'll be the warm-up acts — performing free of charge — on an elaborately produced, 11-city tour to promote Ms. Dunham's new book, "Not That Kind of Girl."

Lena Dunham killed irony.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

hcreight posted:

You know who we haven't complained about in a while? Lena Dunham. And this time it's bullshit she most definitely deserves to be called out for.

exposure is as valuable as money for artists

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hcreight posted:

So she did what Amanda Palmer did, only much worse? Ouch.

I'm rewatching season 6 of Parks and it's better than I remember. I think some of the negativity is because season 6 actually makes some fairly big changes, and of course there's the extreme lack of Andy to deal with, but it's still great and the Eagletonians are great.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm inclined to think that they are just that stupid, to be honest.

Early on, I would've figured that people were dumb or didn't watch it and misunderstood what they heard. But this many years later, in a forum full of fans that have probably corrected people a thousand times, my first thought is "trolling". But maybe that's just me giving people the benefit of the doubt.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Performing free of charge could mean that they're being paid, but not by the audience.

Parks and Rec has been good since S2. It's good every year.

If you don't watch The Knick you're SO STUPID.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Fooz posted:

Performing free of charge could mean that they're being paid, but not by the audience.

Someone in the comments section pointed that out, but if that's what the writer meant, then it's bullshit because people apparently paid 38 bucks a pop for tickets to this book tour. It's not very clearly worded either way.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Lena Dunham at first makes me want to applaud a (comparatively) unattractive person for having success in hollywood, but then I remember that she's a middling talent who surfed a gnarly nepotism wave.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

zoux posted:

Anybody here watch Transparent?

Watched all 10 episodes over the weekend, really can't recommend it enough to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. One of the best shows I've watched in a long time, reminded me quite a bit of Enlightened, but a fair bit more enjoyable. It's quite different to how you might expect in that it has a big hooky premise the turns out to make make up only a smallish amount of the plot in each episode.

Annoyed that all the writing out there about it at the moment is only about the first 4 episodes because they were all that were sent to critics, there's a ton of very discussion-worthy stuff in the latter half of the season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GraPar posted:

Watched all 10 episodes over the weekend, really can't recommend it enough to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. One of the best shows I've watched in a long time, reminded me quite a bit of Enlightened, but a fair bit more enjoyable. It's quite different to how you might expect in that it has a big hooky premise the turns out to make make up only a smallish amount of the plot in each episode.

Annoyed that all the writing out there about it at the moment is only about the first 4 episodes because they were all that were sent to critics, there's a ton of very discussion-worthy stuff in the latter half of the season.

Tambor plays his character with a lot of dignity and sadness, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was Amazon's first Emmy nom.

Are there other good Prime shows besides Alpha House?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Judge Clayjar posted:

exposure is as valuable as money for artists

Exposure at a book tour for a book I guarantee you won't ever sell through its 225,000 copy first printing? They'd be better off working carnivals and bar mitzvahs.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hcreight posted:

I dunno what's ironic about it, but it is pretty lovely, yeah.

You know what's awesome? Party Down. Y'all fuckers can have your Breaking Bad or The Wire or whatever, Party Down is better than pretty much everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yoshifan823 posted:

I dunno what's ironic about it, but it is pretty lovely, yeah.

You know what's awesome? Party Down. Y'all fuckers can have your Breaking Bad or The Wire or whatever, Party Down is better than pretty much everything.

I didn't like the part where it's set in purgatory.

• Locked thread