Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
business in the front 4k party in the back 1080p (while we wait for GPUs to catch up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
And even if you used a 4K display for Windows in 1080p, you'd still end up with basically a 1080p screen just with less visible pixel grid lines.

I'm sold, bring on the 4k monitors. Besides, Microsoft wisely decided not to have even the slightest iota of support for dpi scaling so 1080p will probably be a better bet than 4K anyway, even on a 4K monitor, unless you are an eagle.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Scaling works, better in Windows 8 than 7 but I still don't think you can independently scale displays which is a little disappointing.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

GreatGreen posted:

And even if you used a 4K display for Windows in 1080p, you'd still end up with basically a 1080p screen just with less visible pixel grid lines.

I'm sold, bring on the 4k monitors. Besides, Microsoft wisely decided not to have even the slightest iota of support for dpi scaling so 1080p will probably be a better bet than 4K anyway, even on a 4K monitor, unless you are an eagle.

I'm gung ho about 5k monitors for the same reason (1440 games)

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

GreatGreen posted:

Sometimes I really take this site for granted. I just read through a thread on some other site about resolution scaling and it almost gave me an aneurysm. Some monumental retard was vehemently arguing that a 1080p signal would look stretched and blurry on a 4K monitor because the resolution was "not native."

It was completely lost on him that 1080p has exactly half the vertical and half the horizontal pixels of 4K, meaning it would scale perfectly. Each single pixel on the 1080p display would match perfectly to the corresponding 4 pixel square cluster on the 4K display.

Incidentally this made me think about how awesome a 4K display would be for playing games in 1080p.

Not saying that guy is right, but I've been led to believe that it doesn't actually work like that. Don't get me wrong, it SHOULD work like that but apparently most manufacturers are still using scaling algorithms which gently caress with the image rather that allow it to do what you expect it should do i.e. map 1 pixel to a cluster of 4.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KingEup posted:

Not saying that guy is right, but I've been led to believe that it doesn't actually work like that. Don't get me wrong, it SHOULD work like that but apparently most manufacturers are still using scaling algorithms which gently caress with the image rather that allow it to do what you expect it should do i.e. map 1 pixel to a cluster of 4.
I was just about to ask if that was the case in practice, it wouldn't surprise me if they smoothed instead of just pixel doubled. I remember Apple doing the same thing by default when the iPhone 4 came out, ended up making pixel perfect games look all blurry as a result.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Can't you just do the scaling GPU-side and set the filtering mode as you like?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

So, I'll be gaming at 1080 for the foreseeable future and was wondering if this screen is really worth it:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/dell-monitor-u2414h

I'm honestly more reluctant to skimp on a screen than the GPU usually because what's the point in graphics if they are displayed on poo poo and pasteboard. I'm getting an entirely new setup since my laptop died so getting an nvidia gtx 760 initially with the view of maybe upgrading in a year or so but i'm not planning on ever having a massive budget so 1080 it will be for a while.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

NLJP posted:

So, I'll be gaming at 1080 for the foreseeable future and was wondering if this screen is really worth it:

I'm honestly more reluctant to skimp on a screen than the GPU usually because what's the point in graphics if they are displayed on poo poo and pasteboard. I'm getting an entirely new setup since my laptop died so getting an nvidia gtx 760 initially with the view of maybe upgrading in a year or so but i'm not planning on ever having a massive budget so 1080 it will be for a while.
Have you considered buying one of the Korean 1440p IPS screens? They're about the same price, but a lot nicer if you choose carefully. Definitely don't skim on a screen, they can last you for several generations of GPU.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Ralith posted:

Have you considered buying one of the Korean 1440p IPS screens? They're about the same price, but a lot nicer if you choose carefully. Definitely don't skim on a screen, they can last you for several generations of GPU.

No I haven't really but there's no way my new card will run 1440p well, I think. Even upgrading to a theoretical 960 next year it kinda seems unlikely. Basically, pushing 1440p at good quality doesn't seem likely for my budget for a few years unless things change a lot. This might future proof it past those years though right? How would 1080p stretched to 1440p look?

Also in what way are those Korean screens nicer? Just the pure pixel density?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

NLJP posted:

I picked up a u2414h and am pretty happy with it, replacing my u2311h.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Are there any 27 inch displays on the market with glossy finishes besides the Apple Cinema Display... that can compete with it?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710...=item1c41c67ceb

Is this display the recommended display as far as Korean monitors go? I'd like to over lock the sucker... I'd like to know before I pull da trigger?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

NLJP posted:

No I haven't really but there's no way my new card will run 1440p well, I think. Even upgrading to a theoretical 960 next year it kinda seems unlikely. Basically, pushing 1440p at good quality doesn't seem likely for my budget for a few years unless things change a lot. This might future proof it past those years though right? How would 1080p stretched to 1440p look?

Also in what way are those Korean screens nicer? Just the pure pixel density?
I don't know how 1080p stretched will look, though if you really wanted to I think you could do perfect scaling of 720p.

Looking more closely at your alternative, it's just that they're a lot more pixels for the money. The panel quality should be about the same otherwise, although you may have better luck overclocking the korean display if you want to run at higher refresh rates in the future.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is there any potential issue with mixing refresh rates? My new monitor is 144Hz and my current/soon-to-be-secondary monitor is only 60Hz.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Ralith posted:

I don't know how 1080p stretched will look, though if you really wanted to I think you could do perfect scaling of 720p.

Looking more closely at your alternative, it's just that they're a lot more pixels for the money. The panel quality should be about the same otherwise, although you may have better luck overclocking the korean display if you want to run at higher refresh rates in the future.

I have a QNIX 2710 and I had a look (albeit very brief) and 1080p was fine - obviously not as crisp as 1440p, but definitely not unusable. Not ideal, of course, but usable. Especially if you had a card that couldn't run a particular game at 1440p or what have you.

Obviously if you were dropping it to 1080p in every game, you may want to consider upgrading to a better GPU or not getting a 1440p monitor in the first (unless you're using it for coding/excel spreadsheets etc).

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Elysiume posted:

Is there any potential issue with mixing refresh rates? My new monitor is 144Hz and my current/soon-to-be-secondary monitor is only 60Hz.
Should be just fine.

Guni posted:

I have a QNIX 2710 and I had a look (albeit very brief) and 1080p was fine - obviously not as crisp as 1440p, but definitely not unusable. Not ideal, of course, but usable. Especially if you had a card that couldn't run a particular game at 1440p or what have you.
One important thing to remember about non-native LCD resolutions in general is that while might look crappy on text and perfect pixel-aligned hard-edged stuff like GUIs, in modern games where everything's soft and blurry anyway it can be harder to notice the difference. Meanwhile, you'll appreciate having the extra space at native resolution for web browsing and so on.

Also, you can just run games in windowed mode and pretend you got a smaller monitor.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ralith posted:

Should be just fine.
Even for windowed/borderless windowed stuff? A friend was saying that it'd only do full refresh if the program is run fullscreen (which sounds weird).

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
Just finished successfully replacing bad caps in my older (dead) Viewsonic vx2035... so I'm pretty much Woz, I suppose.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Bonobos posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710...=item1c41c67ceb

Is this display the recommended display as far as Korean monitors go? I'd like to over lock the sucker... I'd like to know before I pull da trigger?

Someone else will correct me if I'm steering you wrong, but the one you selected is the "multi" input one, go for this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710...=item1e876ecd0b

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Captain Yossarian posted:

Someone else will correct me if I'm steering you wrong, but the one you selected is the "multi" input one, go for this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710...=item1e876ecd0b

You definitely don't want the multi input one. I believe that one's correct ^^

If you go back a few pages, you can see what was recommended to me (pretty sure it's that one, but just to confirm). You can also see why the multi input one is not as good (higher input lags and a mediocre panel).

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Elysiume posted:

Even for windowed/borderless windowed stuff? A friend was saying that it'd only do full refresh if the program is run fullscreen (which sounds weird).
He might have meant that the game might not be able to turn on vsync unless it's fullscreen (i.e. controls the display). I'm not sure whether that's true or not, but you should be able to force it in the drivers if you really want vsync. A fullscreen game across both displays will probably vsync to the slowest, but you can just turn off the slow one when gaming.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Guni posted:

You definitely don't want the multi input one. I believe that one's correct ^^

If you go back a few pages, you can see what was recommended to me (pretty sure it's that one, but just to confirm). You can also see why the multi input one is not as good (higher input lags and a mediocre panel).

Thank you both! To those who have this monitor, anything I should be wary of other than the crappy stand? Is it as amazing as it sounds for the price? Are they reliable / will the shoddy electronics set my house on fire?

Regarding the stand, since I'm not going to be moving the monitor will the default stand work reasonably? Not interested in taking the casing off or anything crazy.

NM: I just bought it...will see how my Korean monitor experience turns out.

Bonobos fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 28, 2014

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Got my PB287Q delivered today and hooked it up to my existing computer while I wait for the new system's parts to come in. I was really struck by the build quality of the stand: very sturdy, can rotate in-place across a huge arc, has a lot of height range, and is both easy to adjust and not prone to slipping.

Starting up Windows at 4k was amazing. So many pixels! :swoon: I feel like the color's better than my old panel too, though they're both TN. Windows 7 font rendering often looks really bad at 150% scaling for some reason. Shockingly, my 5850 (though only able to put out 30Hz due to its displayport 1.1 port) is able to run TF2 and Firefall borderline-playably at full res and decent settings. Lots of things assume they can go fullscreen at any res at 60Hz and make the signal cut out, though. I was also surprised to learn the fun way that DP 1.1 can carry audio and that the display has built-in speakers, and that all this Just Works.

Anyone know any nice 4k video footage available for download? I know youtube's got a bunch, but it's horribly compressed and buffers at a snail's pace.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ralith posted:

Got my PB287Q delivered today and hooked it up to my existing computer while I wait for the new system's parts to come in. I was really struck by the build quality of the stand: very sturdy, can rotate in-place across a huge arc, has a lot of height range, and is both easy to adjust and not prone to slipping.

Starting up Windows at 4k was amazing. So many pixels! :swoon: I feel like the color's better than my old panel too, though they're both TN. Windows 7 font rendering often looks really bad at 150% scaling for some reason. Shockingly, my 5850 (though only able to put out 30Hz due to its displayport 1.1 port) is able to run TF2 and Firefall borderline-playably at full res and decent settings. Lots of things assume they can go fullscreen at any res at 60Hz and make the signal cut out, though. I was also surprised to learn the fun way that DP 1.1 can carry audio and that the display has built-in speakers, and that all this Just Works.

Anyone know any nice 4k video footage available for download? I know youtube's got a bunch, but it's horribly compressed and buffers at a snail's pace.

What are your thoughts on this primarily as a gaming monitor?

I can't decide if I want a 1440p gsync, a 1440p non-gsync 21:9, or 4K non-gsync display.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Tab8715 posted:

Scaling works, better in Windows 8 than 7 but I still don't think you can independently scale displays which is a little disappointing.

Afaik screen dependent DPI scaling was introduced with win8. That doesn't mean a lot of apps support it natively, but I think windows tries to compensate to a degree for older apps.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, has this monitor been mentioned? AOCi2367fh It's 23 inches (yes I know) for an IPS. I do like the side bezel is non existent, so it's pretty much set for TRIPLE MONITORS!!!!

I am curious how it holds to the tried and tested dell

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

MrYenko posted:

I can't decide if I want a 1440p gsync, a 1440p non-gsync 21:9, or 4K non-gsync display.
I'll have to get back to you in a week or two (or longer, if Gigabyte 970s don't come back in stock soon...) when I have my new machine that can actually drive it at higher than 30Hz. I bought it with the intention to game with it, though, and early (painfully low FPS) experimentation is pretty promising.

IMO if you can afford a 4k display you can afford enough GPU to hit 60fps reliably at 1440p, so unless you're getting that crazy-expensive Asus 144Hz+gsync display there's no point going gsync. Also, personally I like the idea of variable refresh rate, but I've decided to stay away from it until it's matured and standardized and not ludicrously expensive, maybe a generation or two after AMD gets Freesync to market.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

MrYenko posted:

I wonder how much 4k gsync monitors are going to cost.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Deuce posted:

I wonder how much 4k gsync monitors are going to cost.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8548/acer-releases-xbo-series-28inch-uhd4k-with-gsync-for-800

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
For reference, my good quality 4k from Asus cost $610 on Amazon. So that's a $200 premium. You could spend that $200 on getting a GPU that can do >60fps and render gsync irrelevant instead.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

It really is good time for monitors compared to even 2 years ago. That much money would only get you a 27" 1440 ips. At least before the Korean monitors came on the scene.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Coredump posted:

It really is good time for monitors compared to even 2 years ago. That much money would only get you a 27" 1440 ips. At least before the Korean monitors came on the scene.

It really is. In 1996 I got a 17" CRT to take to university (17" was pretty big at the time). It did 1280x1024 and cost $600. It was also kind of a pain to carry around to LAN parties.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I think a decent 4k IPS display with a glossy screen might finally convince me to retire my Sony FW900.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What I don't get, is how come so many of these new 4k displays are 27-28" or even 24"? That's just too small?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm having an issue with my Dell U2410.

There are vertical-ish lines of crap that seem to be between the display itself and the surface of the screen. I tried taking some pictures of them but they're a bit obscured by the moire patterns.

They seem to grow or shrink sometimes. Is there a layer of something separating due to heat or something?

vaginal cramps
Nov 17, 2003

I really want one of those awesome 34 inch 21:9 1440p monitors and I'm finding it hard to wait for the AOC U3477PQU instead of getting the more pricey LG UM95. I hope when they say it's coming in September, they mean near the beginning of the month.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

vaginal cramps posted:

I really want one of those awesome 34 inch 21:9 1440p monitors and I'm finding it hard to wait for the AOC U3477PQU instead of getting the more pricey LG UM95. I hope when they say it's coming in September, they mean near the beginning of the month.

AVAILABLE IN OCTOBER AOC loudly proclaims.

AOC makes quality stuff for a really low price. I'd wait, man.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
We're looking to mount a big display up in our office for dashboards and charts. It will run all the time, and I'm looking for something with good color and luminance and a high native res. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Above Our Own posted:

We're looking to mount a big display up in our office for dashboards and charts. It will run all the time, and I'm looking for something with good color and luminance and a high native res. Any thoughts?

Seiki 50-60 inch 4k tv. It will be like having 4 25" 1080p monitors on one display. I've seen them as cheap as $600 bux online.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 29, 2014