Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ah okay, up to speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Can someone give me a brief rundown of who Monte Cox is and why he seems like such an integral figure in the sport at one time? I see and hear his name mentioned often, but I've yet to get the real skinny on this fellow.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

-Atom- posted:

Can someone give me a brief rundown of who Monte Cox is and why he seems like such an integral figure in the sport at one time? I see and hear his name mentioned often, but I've yet to get the real skinny on this fellow.

As I understand it, he got into promoting and managing fighters in the mid 90s through Pat Militech. MMA was a much smaller pond back then.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I don't view this thread very often.

Bluedeanie posted:

I understand we don't see more knees to the body from side control because it gives the guy on bottom space and opportunity to escape or scramble to a better position, but we don't we see more elbows during triangle attempts? Is it because it's just that harrowing to throw a short power strike so close to your balls?

I think strikes from both these positions are hugely underused, though especially side control. If the guy on top side control throws strikes instead of maintaining his position, yes, he gives additional room for his opponent to escape. However this is true from pretty well every grappling position, and has the counter point that throwing strikes forces the guy on bottom to either move or block in reaction. Knees from side were far more common in PRIDE and there were plenty of cases where it didn't at all help guys get up, because they were too worried about not getting their ribs caved in (though of course in PRIDE they also had to defend their heads).

Elbows from triangles are similar. Most submission training does not involve strikes. So fighters have probably drilled a triangle thousands of times and locked on in during rolling tens or hundreds of times, but perhaps never with strikes being used. Changing your rythem like that for a fight is not easy to do, but it definitely has its uses.

EvanSchenck posted:

hahaha. It's going to turn out that Cejudo was a pump-and-dump scam all along. Sonnen talking him up, getting Dana to sign him, then he shorted all his stock in Cejudo right before the close of business today. Get ready for Sonnen's second conviction.

Anyway in that interview Sonnen talks a little about why he thinks Greco is better for MMA, and he says maybe it's because the upright posture is better for striking. That might be part of it, but I would go more specific and say that the clinch is very important and guys with good Greco tend to be very strong there. People tend to get a lot of credit for their striking and for their wrestling or ground work, and the clinch doesn't get that attention because it's like an intermediate position. But a lot of fights are won and lost right there. You can look at Ronda, Randy, Jon Jones. You can even go all the way back to Jack Johnson, really. Standing hugs: very important.

Yeah. For quite a while Rogan was saying how he thought Greco Roman was the best base for MMA, because of the standing clinch. I think he came to this opinion some time after Randy Couture fought the young killing machine of Vitor Belfort and defeated him utterly by holding the back of Vitor's neck with one hand. Judo has a lot of potential here too, because it also uses an upright stance with clinching and takedowns, though the current rule set of olympic Judo isn't very conducive to MMA training, which I hate.

fatherdog posted:

Foreman/Frazier is also notable because, although there are obviously many times in history where an undisputed, undefeated champion gets defeated, there aren't all that many where they get absolutely loving murdered.

How many times has this happened in MMA? All I can think of is the 'Shad face.

david carmichael posted:

we should do some kind of group watch of a bunch of that trio's fights sometime. really compelling stuff on a lot of levels.

Yes! Yes. I watched... Ali-Fraizer, I think, and was shocked at how good the one-man commentary was. For one thing, he described what was going on instead of just filling air with stupid trivia. For a second, he knew what the gently caress he was watching. As Fraizer was hitting Ali against the ropes, commentator was saying "these punches are not hurting Ali, no damage being done here, no problem at all- ooh big punch from Ali!". This poo poo was happening faster than my unaccustomed eyes could follow, so it was actually incredibly useful, unlike most commentary.

fake edit: it was rope a dope, so I assume it was Ali-Foreman, not Fraizer. Also, I'm aware that Ali was probably wasn't better off after taking those punches that "didn't do damage", but its true that they didn't do nearly as much as it seemed like they should.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
if it was howard cossell then its worth remembering that ali was miguel torres to cossell's frank mir

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
After calling Holmes/Cobb where Holmes beat Cobb so badly that blood was spattering the front row of the audience, Cosell vowed he'd never cover boxing again. Somebody told Cobb and he said that was his gift to the sport of boxing.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Count Roland posted:

How many times has this happened in MMA? All I can think of is the 'Shad face.

Dude, Barao / dillashaw was not long ago

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Marching Powder posted:

Dude, Barao / dillashaw was not long ago

Not undefeated but I think it still counts as a dominant champion being dismantled.

Also Franklin/Silva.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

JDS plastered Cain on network TV to probably the biggest UFC audience ever. Granted it was one punch, but that one punch was murder.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fatherdog posted:

After calling Holmes/Cobb where Holmes beat Cobb so badly that blood was spattering the front row of the audience, Cosell vowed he'd never cover boxing again. Somebody told Cobb and he said that was his gift to the sport of boxing.

Tex Cobb is loving hilarious and one of the finest ironists boxing has ever produced

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Foreman/Frazier is also notable because, although there are obviously many times in history where an undisputed, undefeated champion gets defeated, there aren't all that many where they get absolutely loving murdered.

Goddamn. I don't know anything about boxing but someone has to throw in the towel or something.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
george was begging foreman's corner to throw in the towel, angelo dunee was screaming and drat near crying to stop the fight, while referee 1973 mario yamasaki was just looking at foreman like "you gonna finish him or what"

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
its one of those things where you don't want to stop a fight early, and want to give respect to the champion, and the champion keeps loving getting up, and somehow no one had figured out that getting hit in the head a bunch was bad for your brain

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Why is a basic two handed throat choke throttle of the throat with like thumbs on the airpipe used in MMA? Someone asked me this and I didn't know the answer, nor why if legal it wouldn't be employed.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
You're leaving both the chokees arms free to get underhooks and sweep or control one of your wrists and armbar you. A no gi ezekiel is similar in that you choke the guy with both your arms and doesn't leave as much space between your bodies as a rape choke

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Lid posted:

Why is a basic two handed throat choke throttle of the throat with like thumbs on the airpipe used in MMA? Someone asked me this and I didn't know the answer, nor why if legal it wouldn't be employed.

I'm not totally clear on what you're asking, but if you're asking about strangulation (squeezing the airpipe), attacks on the trachea of any kind are a foul.

Unified Rules posted:

15. Fouls
The following acts constitute fouls in a contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts and may result in penalties, at the discretion of thereferee, if committed:
xiii. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea

I think the issue is that whereas blood chokes are pretty safe because blood/oxygen flow resumes immediately when the choke is released, the trachea is comparatively brittle and prone to injury. Rough handling can bruise or even collapse the airway, leading to brain damage or death.

If you were asking about using the thumbs to compress the carotids on either side of the trachea, I think that might be legal but I'm not sure a referee would be able to immediately tell the difference from strangulation, so you'd likely get stood up and deducted a point for trying. Also what Niethan said.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Also, the sport might have trouble with the image problems of a man sitting on another man's chest and choking him in a way that TV uses as a shorthand for choking someone to death.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Did they ever come up with a broadcast acceptable name for the rape choke?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Fentry posted:

Did they ever come up with a broadcast acceptable name for the rape choke?

A Stann Lock

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

The problem with rape choke is that

1. It's not very effective against full grown man who is about equal to you in size and strength

2. If you know even the least bit about grappling, or even if you don't but manage to stay calm it's very easy to escape

and most impotantly
3. If you try it from guard you're and idiot and you're going to get armbarred. If you try it from mount you're an idiot and you're going to get reversed.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Dangersim posted:

and most impotantly
3. If you try it from guard you're and idiot and you're going to get armbarred. If you try it from mount you're an idiot and you're going to get reversed.

p sure Jake Shields did a mounted rape choke on Bully Beatdown :laugh:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

There really needs to be a better name for that.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

There really needs to be a better name for that.

We call it "The Frankenstein choke" in kids classes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I have a quasi-I train/trained question.

Five years ago when I joined a MMA gym and took classes that where mostly muay thai with a little jiu jitsu and wrestling thrown in, we did a move I thought was awesome but I never see. They called it a sweep. But now that I'm back in Jiu Jistu and watched the sport for ten plus years I'm pretty conformatable saying a sweep is when you get an opponent from off of you to you being ontop of them.

All I remember was you would be on your back when your opponent standing over on you in the position of being about the kick your legs/butt of jump into guard. Then you would press off their hip with one foot and hook their opposite ankle with your hand and be able to pretty well flip them from standing onto their back from which you could roll up into their guard or just "stand in base." Can someone who isn't retarded like me help me connect the dots and possibly reference some examples of this move?

All I know from "training" is that no matter how good you think you are at anything, you are infinitely worse, out of shape, and truly stupider at it than everyone else ever. And it's ridiculously fun.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Are you thinking of a tomahawk sweep (http://youtu.be/Q-LxzR3XI9A?t=13s)? You press off the hip but you hook the same side ankle, so not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Neeber posted:

Are you thinking of a tomahawk sweep (http://youtu.be/Q-LxzR3XI9A?t=13s)? You press off the hip but you hook the same side ankle, so not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for.

poo poo! That's really really close but kind of inverted...need to look closer...

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Ohhhh maybe you're thinking of a sickle sweep (http://youtu.be/MV0iZDE1izc?t=46s)? Not sure how well it works without the sleeve grip (I assume you were doing nogi since it was in an MMA class) but it's pretty awesome for laying people out from open guard.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Could also be a tripod sweep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0T-4n52Dx4&t=129s

As with everything in BJJ there are tons of variations off the same idea. And it's still very much a sweep,even though he's standing over, you still reverse position.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

FYI The definition of a sweep is that you must start from guard (can be any type of guard, half guard counts too) and end up on top. So if you are mounted and upa (bridge) escape where you end up on top in the guys guard, that's not a sweep, it's an escape. You don't get any points for that, the principle being that having escaped the inferior position is reward in itself. (I would think also because they don't want people intentionally putting themselves in inferior positions just so they can escape and get the points.)

Dangersim fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 5, 2014

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Holy hell both of those videos are very close! This whole BJJ thing is pretty new to me. All of my previous experiences have involved engaging your opponent with strikes and throws and crap. The whole "grab on and go hog wild" concept is so God damned confusing it hurts.

My plan is to make it to at least three classes a week for the next month. Then re-evaluate what the gently caress I'm even doing.

Still, it's alot of fun. I'd encourage anyone to try it out. My BJJ gym takes the Brasil thing very seriously so I might take a date to salsa/samba/whateverthefuck night in the near future.

I guess these videos should go in the Hug Based Arts thread?? I don't know.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

this is probably the most appropriate thread for this video which will male you say "yikes"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaK-rBBMd6Q

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
I know I've bitched about early stoppages before but that poo poo is scary, as is the incompetence of those involved.

Like, from watching Oplot I can tell you that's not the first time I've seen that level of incompetence medically so it seems to be this lovely in at least a few places.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah, that is pretty bad.

As an amateur bout, with people making their debuts, you've got to watch them very carefully. Wouldn't amateur bouts normally require headgear? I thought this is how boxing does it.

The ref not checking on him between rounds was pretty bad. I think you should always do a cursory check, especially to the guy that was getting punched more and was on unsteady legs, or if he looks especially fatigued/hurt on his stool. I think to MMA, and Big John at least always checks each corner, and takes a careful look if the fighter looks at all wobbly.

The doc, spending his time checking his phone and being a generally lazy dick was gross. Others involved were inattentive or irresponsible(like the cornerman, who was pushing his fighter way too hard), but the doctor was actively ignoring his duties.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

The thing that's a little scary is that I've seen guys way more hosed up looking during and after a fight, and they ended up "fine"-ish

What makes someone like TJ Grant who got super super hosed up by concussions, or that dead dude different? Like does this poo poo just kinda happen?

Edit:

I mean TJ Grant maybe it's because he's been fighting a while, but if that was the kid's amateur debut unless he was like having gym wars, he couldn't have been that worn down

Yuriy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 17, 2014

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

masato tatanka posted:

this is probably the most appropriate thread for this video which will male you say "yikes"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaK-rBBMd6Q

This goes without saying, but don't read the comments on that video.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yuriy posted:

The thing that's a little scary is that I've seen guys way more hosed up looking during and after a fight, and they ended up "fine"-ish

What makes someone like TJ Grant who got super super hosed up by concussions, or that dead dude different? Like does this poo poo just kinda happen?

There is a small chance of it "just happening". Perhaps this fellow was somehow pre-disposed to not being able to take headshots. Perhaps he was injured coming into the fight (which should have been spotted of course). There should have been some investigation into his state before he stepped into the ring, I wish the video had delved into that.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Different states have different amateur rulesets, some even don't allow ground and pound, I don't think I've ever seen any amateur MMA with headgear though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That's absolutely shocking. It's gonna be hard watching that guy coach for the rest of this season of TUF - he has been pretty visible so far. Some gross negligence causing death in that video, no matter how you slice it. I won't be surprised if someone ends up in jail or sued.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuriy posted:

Edit:

I mean TJ Grant maybe it's because he's been fighting a while, but if that was the kid's amateur debut unless he was like having gym wars, he couldn't have been that worn down

From what I understand the #1 factor is past and existing concussions, which is why TJ isn't coming back until he's 100%, and which is why Nik Dennis called it quits. It's why Travis Lutter was able to knock out Marvin Eastman with a glance. It's why Eric Lindross spent half of his career on the DL. Any headshot on an already-concussed brain can cause serious damage.

If Roufussport is as bad as Rose is making it out to be right now, there's a good chance that this guy had taken a number of serious headshots in preparation (probably "to toughen him up"), and that was likely the underlying cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

CommonShore posted:

If Roufussport is as bad as Rose is making it out to be right now, there's a good chance that this guy had taken a number of serious headshots in preparation (probably "to toughen him up"), and that was likely the underlying cause.

I don't know where these Rose stories are from about Roufous Sport, can you like describe what poo poo goes down?

Is it like Chute Box level?

Doesn't my main man Funky Ben train there