Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
T-Mobile has a new offering between the $40 and $50 plans - for $45 you get unlimited voice & text, and for data they drop the pretense that getting throttled down to edge is "unlimited" and give you a hard cap at 2 GB.

I considered moving my wife over to it from the dork plan but ever since changing jobs and getting away from her wino former manager who insisted on calling her 3-4 times per week and talking her ear off she hasn't been using nearly as much voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What are the cellular bands that cricket uses?

The same bands as AT&T because they are an AT&T mvno.

I just got my cricket sim and did the transfer from Tmobile. Super easy and the port was done in about 5 min. Speedtest shows the expected hard cap at 8mbps and 400ms ping. So far I don't see it impacting the responsiveness of the phone though. Webpages load right up, maps still is fast to load the tiles, mail refresh feels the same. I'll be trying them out for at least the next couple months since service is on the house and I'll post anything I notice.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What are the cellular bands that cricket uses?

Cricket uses the same bands as AT&T, 1900/850/700 MHz.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Now that MVNOs support LTE you may also want to consider LTE band support.

AT&T LTE uses Band 17(700Mhz), Band 5(850Mhz), Band 2(1900Mhz), and Band 4(1700/2100Mhz). Band 5 is a recent introduction so you aren't missing much coverage if your phone doesn't support it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hmm...should I put the bands for all of the carriers in the OP?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Geoj posted:

T-Mobile has a new offering between the $40 and $50 plans - for $45 you get unlimited voice & text, and for data they drop the pretense that getting throttled down to edge is "unlimited" and give you a hard cap at 2 GB.

I considered moving my wife over to it from the dork plan but ever since changing jobs and getting away from her wino former manager who insisted on calling her 3-4 times per week and talking her ear off she hasn't been using nearly as much voice.

Unless you're in an area where AT&T isn't viable that's worse than Cricket's $45 plan.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Does Cricket not support Personal Hotspot for iPhone?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Pissingintowind posted:

Right, no hotspot option for iPhone. Gophone supports it though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Fwiw, I tether daily with my Moto X. So they're not explicitly allowing it but don't seem to care.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Brock Landers posted:

Right, no hotspot option for iPhone. Gophone supports it though.

That really sucks. According to this it should be offered: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

It looks like I should be able to pay $10/month to enable it?

https://www.cricketwireless.com/o/support/plans-and-features/mobile-data/mobile-hotspot.html

Has anyone done this?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Pissingintowind posted:

That really sucks. According to this it should be offered: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

It looks like I should be able to pay $10/month to enable it?

https://www.cricketwireless.com/o/support/plans-and-features/mobile-data/mobile-hotspot.html

Has anyone done this?

Never even seen the option to add it on, actually. Maybe they'll be offering it soon. I think a lot of us are expecting them to throw it in soon enough. It's consistent with their approach so far. Fair pricing and not stingy with the features.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Geoj posted:

You can get it from Harbor Mobile for $30 with 2.5GB.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pissingintowind posted:

If you're still on 7.1 just jailbreak it and install a tethering app.

Athenry posted:

Unless you're in an area where AT&T isn't viable that's worse than Cricket's $45 plan.

Still amazed by the new cricket 10GB plan for $55. I had tmobile and the unlimited data was nice but they still have a ways to go.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm really liking the 10gb too, keeps me from having to worry about jumping on wifi. One thing I'm not liking about Cricket is the latency on my iPhone 5. If I've got 2 bars or less it takes FOREVER to get iheartradio or Spotify going if at all. I'm wondering if this is an iPhone thing though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lblitzer posted:

I'm really liking the 10gb too, keeps me from having to worry about jumping on wifi. One thing I'm not liking about Cricket is the latency on my iPhone 5. If I've got 2 bars or less it takes FOREVER to get iheartradio or Spotify going if at all. I'm wondering if this is an iPhone thing though.

Sup 10gb buddy :hi5:

The iOS8 update was being downloaded by so many people at my work that they throttled the fuuuuck out of the company wifi as an encouragement for these people to download their several-gigabyte update at home. So I toggled wifi off because it was so hammered that I couldn't even browse webpages on my phone.

Having the 10gb plan also makes it a no-brainer to bump the streaming quality up on Spotify.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

whatever7 posted:

You can get it from Harbor Mobile for $30 with 2.5GB.

Isn't the jury still out on if they're actually going to enforce the whole "we're a business carrier" thing? Plus I thought others had reported they won't port out a number from a current T-Mobile account...

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Geoj posted:

Isn't the jury still out on if they're actually going to enforce the whole "we're a business carrier" thing? Plus I thought others had reported they won't port out a number from a current T-Mobile account...

They don't care. You can just tell them you are opening the acccount as "Your name" because you are a samll business and you need to open a DBA account. In fact there is only one spot you can fill in a made up business name. Nobody ask for the tax id. I threw in one of my old website domain just in case but in retrospect you don't have to.

Think of it like openning a business credit card, banks don't care if you use your name to open a business account.

Well just port it to a ATT MVNO and port it back to Harbor Mobile if thats the case. I don't pay attention to the porting business.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 27, 2014

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
I just opened an account today and wasn't even asked for a business name.

Also I think their FAQ says they can port from T-Mobile.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
Going to switch to Cricket, any goon I can PM my info for a referral?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can do it. PM me your first and last name plus your email address.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
So I'm looking for something cheap but reliable. I don't do much talking or data.

I currently have a Coolpad Quattro on MetroPCS $40/mo plan and it is loving terrible. I can't connect/drop calls all the time, probably miss 1/4-1/3 of incoming texts, and data might as well be nonexistent. That I don't care so much about because I'm privacy paranoid and don't use any apps aside from nav every so often when I get lost and the occasional web browsing, but it takes a goddamn long time to do that assuming I have any data connection at all. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to any of it, since I can be at full bars with 4G and unable to load a website or dial a number. MMS is a loving nightmare, where replying to a group text sends only to the sender and initiating a group text just sends individual texts to all recipients, assuming any of it works at all in the first place.

I'd assume this is the phone's fault more than the carrier, since it is complete garbage that can't even maintain a USB connection to pull (crappy) photos or add music for longer than 3 minutes. I can't really be sure, though. After poking around, it seems buying a Moto G or a Samsung Galaxy Light and T-Mobile's dork plan is the way to go, but I guess that would be the same network as what I have currently, so if it isn't the phone's fault, I definitely don't want that.

So a good alternative looks like Cricket, especially with the $100 porting credit and since I could probably switch my father over and pay for him to get unlimited international landline calls for $50/mo.

I'd really like to be able to test my current provider's reception on another device to see whether T-Mobile might be viable before I spend a lot of time and money on a new phone/carrier. My Coolpad Quattro has a SIM card, so would I be able to pop that into another GSM phone to check it out (provided I can find one)?

I'd appreciate any advice on carriers or phone picks. Moto G 1st or 2nd? 1st gen has 4G though apparently that doesn't mean poo poo for T-Mobile but could be useful on Cricket? Galaxy Light has 4G and is half the price, and I do like that Samsung includes a basic app suite parallel to but not actually Google since I'm paranoid, but is it garbage?

I'm in the greater Santa Barbara, CA area ZIP (93101-93120) if that helps. Opensignal's heatmaps are kind all over the place and don't really reflect my experience on MetroPCS at least (which leads me to further believe it is the phone's fault).

EDIT: I also want to keep my number which Cricket will do, but if I do T-Mobile's dork plan will I have to go through Google Voice to do that? I do not want to do that so if that is the case then I'd definitely do Cricket.

Quetzadilla fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 28, 2014

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Did the T-Mo dork plan stop including LTE? Locations that usually got me four bars of LTE now only get me HSPA.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Radbot posted:

Did the T-Mo dork plan stop including LTE? Locations that usually got me four bars of LTE now only get me HSPA.

Not that I'm aware of, try rebooting your phone or check your preferred network settings. I know my wife's GS4 will cycle between H+, DC, 3G and LTE in poor signal situations but if you have four bars it's probably something to do with your phone.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I think this was already mentioned but can't find it in search- does the T Mobile nerd plan allow you to use VoLTE with new iphones?

I thought I had seen someone say that you can't do that with the $30 plan or it deducts from your voice minutes or something like that.

Asking for a friend since I signed up for Cricket but the drat sim is taking a week to get to me :argh:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Snowy posted:

I think this was already mentioned but can't find it in search- does the T Mobile nerd plan allow you to use VoLTE with new iphones?

I thought I had seen someone say that you can't do that with the $30 plan or it deducts from your voice minutes or something like that.

Asking for a friend since I signed up for Cricket but the drat sim is taking a week to get to me :argh:

Phone minutes initiated through "phone.app" count whether they're wifi or otherwise.

You can get free outgoing calls that appear to come from your regular number via the Vonage app (though it'll apparently be a penny a minute soon)

The Google Hangouts app can get you free incoming and outgoing calls through a Google Voice number, but it's a little clunky.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Quetzadilla posted:

So I'm looking for something cheap but reliable. I don't do much talking or data.

I currently have a Coolpad Quattro on MetroPCS $40/mo plan and it is loving terrible. I can't connect/drop calls all the time, probably miss 1/4-1/3 of incoming texts, and data might as well be nonexistent. That I don't care so much about because I'm privacy paranoid and don't use any apps aside from nav every so often when I get lost and the occasional web browsing, but it takes a goddamn long time to do that assuming I have any data connection at all. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to any of it, since I can be at full bars with 4G and unable to load a website or dial a number. MMS is a loving nightmare, where replying to a group text sends only to the sender and initiating a group text just sends individual texts to all recipients, assuming any of it works at all in the first place.

I'd assume this is the phone's fault more than the carrier, since it is complete garbage that can't even maintain a USB connection to pull (crappy) photos or add music for longer than 3 minutes. I can't really be sure, though. After poking around, it seems buying a Moto G or a Samsung Galaxy Light and T-Mobile's dork plan is the way to go, but I guess that would be the same network as what I have currently, so if it isn't the phone's fault, I definitely don't want that.

So a good alternative looks like Cricket, especially with the $100 porting credit and since I could probably switch my father over and pay for him to get unlimited international landline calls for $50/mo.

I'd really like to be able to test my current provider's reception on another device to see whether T-Mobile might be viable before I spend a lot of time and money on a new phone/carrier. My Coolpad Quattro has a SIM card, so would I be able to pop that into another GSM phone to check it out (provided I can find one)?
Yes. You should be able to put your SIM into any T-Mobile or MetroPCS phone (or any unlocked phone supporting T-Mobile's bands) and it will "just work."

quote:

I'd appreciate any advice on carriers or phone picks. Moto G 1st or 2nd? 1st gen has 4G though apparently that doesn't mean poo poo for T-Mobile but could be useful on Cricket? Galaxy Light has 4G and is half the price, and I do like that Samsung includes a basic app suite parallel to but not actually Google since I'm paranoid, but is it garbage?
The only inexpensive Android phones really worth buying are the Moto E and Moto G. Pretty much everything else is under-speced garbage which will never see a single OS update. T-Mobile does use 4G (specifically LTE bands 2, 4, and 12, with 4 being the main band) but as you know their 3G is pretty good too (the biggest advantage of LTE is much lower latency).

quote:

I'm in the greater Santa Barbara, CA area ZIP (93101-93120) if that helps. Opensignal's heatmaps are kind all over the place and don't really reflect my experience on MetroPCS at least (which leads me to further believe it is the phone's fault).

EDIT: I also want to keep my number which Cricket will do, but if I do T-Mobile's dork plan will I have to go through Google Voice to do that? I do not want to do that so if that is the case then I'd definitely do Cricket.
Not sure about that. You don't have to use GV to use the dork plan, but T-Mobile may require you to port your number out to a 3rd party provider before you could port it back to them for the nerd plan (I'm not sure how they handle MetroPCS -> T-Mobile porting, especially since the nerd plan is for "new customers only").

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:sigh: Cricket's pretty good but I'd switch to T-Mobile in a heartbeat if they'd offer service.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

The only inexpensive Android phones really worth buying are the Moto E and Moto G. Pretty much everything else is under-speced garbage which will never see a single OS update.

This is true but doesn't take into account phones like the Nexus 5 and Moto X (2013) that are pretty low priced now in some places like Swappa and some OEMs thanks to their successors coming out now / in the near future.

FAUXTON posted:

:sigh: Cricket's pretty good but I'd switch to T-Mobile in a heartbeat if they'd offer service.

Haha. Yeah. :v:

I've been seeing a few T-Mobile MVNO things in a lot of Walmarts here so who knows! Even Brightspot exists at Target despite T-Mobile not.

Hell, I've seen T-Mobile prepaid stuff at Walmart too.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Not really digging the iPhone so I'm thinking of going back to Android on Cricket. Looking at some unlocked phones, how bad is HSPA+ 4mbps on Cricket? I like to use Spotify and iheartradio often and am worried that it may cause buffer issues.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

Not really digging the iPhone so I'm thinking of going back to Android on Cricket. Looking at some unlocked phones, how bad is HSPA+ 4mbps on Cricket? I like to use Spotify and iheartradio often and am worried that it may cause buffer issues.

Not bad at all, you won't have any issues. The high speed on Cricket is fantastic with no latency. The throttled speed is quite slow, with a good chunk of latency but is still usable and am able to use Pandora on it just fine knowing the limitations so I'm not skipping tracks a lot.

Let me know if you need a referral! PM your First/Last and email address.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Not bad at all, you won't have any issues. The high speed on Cricket is fantastic with no latency. The throttled speed is quite slow, with a good chunk of latency but is still usable and am able to use Pandora on it just fine knowing the limitations so I'm not skipping tracks a lot.

Let me know if you need a referral! PM your First/Last and email address.

Cool, good to know. I've had Cricket for a couple months now but thank you for the offer! I was just worried since there are times when I've got low signal on LTE with my iPhone 5 that Spotify tends to buffer when it shouldn't, but I think this phone just has a bad antenna or something.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Billing cycle finally ended the other day and Cricket automatically upgraded me to 10GB:

Also the referral went through for whomever referred me so I got $25 off this month (final bill will be $30 with auto-pay):

Pretty sweet! Guess I'm just reporting in to say that I'm another very satisfied Cricket customer.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Which Cricket goon wants to earn a $25 credit towards their bill. I need a cricket referral code.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

cambrian obelus posted:

Which Cricket goon wants to earn a $25 credit towards their bill. I need a cricket referral code.

Me! pm me your first / last name and your email.

Thanks!

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
It seems like Cricket's promo data caps are the new normal? The page sure doesn't say anything about them being limited anymore: https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

cbirdsong posted:

It seems like Cricket's promo data caps are the new normal? The page sure doesn't say anything about them being limited anymore: https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

It says throttle brings your speed down to 128Kbps, is that enough to stream music from google music/soundcloud?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

It says throttle brings your speed down to 128Kbps, is that enough to stream music from google music/soundcloud?

Mostly but expect delays on initial startup and if you skip tracks.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

TraderStav posted:

Mostly but expect delays on initial startup and if you skip tracks.

Cool thanks

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I found that I ran out in the last few days of my plan so it was mostly a non impact. You also can upgrade mid cycle and they prorate the cost and even reset the usage to zero from that point! Cheaper than buying the extra gig. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

Changing the OP to reflect this!

Also, US Cellular now has the Moto X (2014) on sale so I'll add that as well.

EDIT: Forgot US Cellular isn't exactly an MVNO. Also I keep thinking it's Republic Wireless. Ugh. I need my vacation to start now.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 3, 2014