Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That video was pretty magical Blitzblast. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Did you make a music link for the Aki Sister's combination attack? It sounded different to their usual themes.

It was Z3's rendition of Aim for the Top.

Seyser Koze posted:

Does the Super Inazuma Kick attack work normally if they don't miss?

Yeah it can actually hit, but why would you let it with a miss animation like that?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh my god, those poor Aki sisters.

"FEAR OUR NEW COMBINATION ATTA- Sister, no!" *boyoing*

Just... no respect in combat.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Shei-kun posted:

Oh my god, those poor Aki sisters.

"FEAR OUR NEW COMBINATION ATTA- Sister, no!" *boyoing*

Just... no respect in combat.

Well, they shouldn't have picked a fight with a potato. :colbert:

Also, I liked the touch of Marisa and ChiMeiling remembering how Flandre's power works at the last possible moment.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Credit to Sanbondo though for actually giving the Aki sisters some flavour (har har).

They're usually right next to Medicine in the list of 'Most Forgotten Touhous.'

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Akis managed to turn being completely forgettable into a gimmick.

Also playing FMW2 is so loving weird coming back from FMW3, you have no idea.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Credit to Sanbondo though for actually giving the Aki sisters some flavour (har har).

They're usually right next to Medicine in the list of 'Most Forgotten Touhous.'

You'd think Medicine would be more memorable, since she is easily the most frustrating and annoying opponent in PoFV. :argh:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I imagine those spaces heal you up because sweet potatoes are delicious?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah so I was just really lazy with getting this update done. Sorry, it's my last week of break.

---

Music: Border of Regular and Irregular Days

Full Text

quote:

I hear mysterious dream advisors are all the rage these days. Hey, you seem pretty lonely.

No I'm not!

quote:

Youkai Mountain

Full Text

quote:

Looks like we're gonna fight Nitori.

Looks like I'm going to fight Marisa.

quote:

The Other Shore of Friendship

Kappa posted:

Intruders, huh... what do we do if they're real?

Maybe run away?

...No, we have to stay here.

Yeah, if it's that group that got chased away last time, there's no way they'd come here.

I guess you're right. And even if they did come, we'd just crush them with our weapons.

You bet! If they come, we'd send them right to the bottom of the river!

Hold up, somebody's coming from over there!

It couldn't be...!

Meiling posted:

Youkai spotted!

Alright, let's put on a sho-

Wait, over there is...

So it really was Marisa...

...Nitori!

Hey, is that the magician you're always talking about?

I didn't think I'd actually run into you.

Get over here, Nitori. There's a lot I want to talk about with yo-

No, I can't. If you're attacking Youkai Mountain, we'll drive you out!

...!

Woah, that was harsh.

I thought she was Marisa's friend...

...I was expecting this, but I don't particularly want to fight.

If our opponents are like that, then there's no other option. Are you ready?

...No choice then. But I still don't get this.

This is personal. Sorry, but let me chat with Nitori for a bit!

quote:

Victory: Defeat Nitori.
Defeat: All allies defeated.
Bonus: Besides Nitori, defeat three Kappa.
This chapter is where a lot of players run into a small trap.

All of the kappa are underwater, which means they get two defense buffs. One from the terrain bonus, and one from having a S rating in Water.

Furthermore, since the target's underwater, the damage formula takes your attacks' water ratings into consideration. The vast majority of your characters have either B or C ranks, so that takes a bite out of your damage potential. If you scrounge around you'll find that Sakuya's Magic Star Sword and Elly's Floortiles have an A in water, but they're both ammo based and won't last the entire mission.

The easy way around this is the Five-colored Shell. They'll raise all of a character's water ratings to A, and you get two of them. Slap them on your favorites and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Music: The Girl Guarding the Door of Dreams

The chapter's pretty dull beyond that. There are enemies, they die.

And honestly, on Normal the whole water terrain rating thing doesn't matter that much. The kappa just aren't tanky enough to take advantage of it. Here's Alice with an A rating,

and here's Meiling with a B. Admittedly she should be doing around 2000, but I can live with 75% damage.

Obviously the terrain is an issue on Hard/Lunatic, but I don't have to worry about that now do I?

A bigger problem is how I don't have any healers. I planned on having Marisa handle the left side of the map a la Reimu, but she got hit by a 24% and then a 19%.

Instinct Dodge kicked in at least, but kappa danmaku carries a 20% evasion penalty so it practically did nothing. I had to have Marisa flee back to the Support Defend group.

Since I still need to take down the left side, though, I decided to split my army into two groups.

So you've come! I'll sink you to the bottom of the ri- er, wait, you're a devil. Is it alright for you to touch the river's surface?

Er, I'm not very good with water so... well, I probably have it better than Remilia at least. Powerful devils have lots of weaknesses, it's tough.

So since you're weak, you don't have any weaknesses?

Yes I do! I can't cross rivers, and I'll dissolve if the sun hits me!

uuuuuuuh

Music: From the Bottom of the Valley and the River

While she was off-camera, Nitori upgraded into Full Armor Nitori.

Sadly she is not nearly as cool as her namesake, the Full Armor Double Zeta Gundam.

Really she's barely an improvement over regular Nitori. But I digress.

I'll get to her once I finish off the rest of the chaff.

:toot:

Nitori, listen to me!

No, I'm going to force you all out! Your Master Spark won't work while I'm underwater!

Grr, that jerk. Abusing my weakpoints like that, is she that serious!?

I'm not sure if Nitori is supposed to go right for Marisa or if she's just being lured by low HP.

W-wow. I didn't think I'd really come across humans...

What was that? You're acting awfully fishy.

No, no, it's nothing like that. I've just been wishing for this to happen, so sorry for the violence.

Kappa Char Custom is slightly sturdier than your average kappa, but she is sadly not three times faster.

It must be nice swimming in such a vast and beautiful river.

Well of course, it's our pride and joy. The fish are fresh, and the water flows all the way downstream. It's the ideal environment, don't you think?

Those are some nice dolls. I don't suppose you have any graceful, gentlemenly outfits?

What...? Well, I have Kyoto Doll.

The Japan Doll isn't scary enough! Why don't you let me make it a bit more modern...

...I'm not sure I understand, but you're a fool if you think I'll let you handle my dolls.

By the way, why are you the only one with different colored clothes?

Well it's the so-called "C" Custom. It increases propulsive force by 30%, so you can go three times faster.

Huh...? How does that work?

It's the result of an exceptional sense of handling. According to one theory, by kicking off ship decks and driftwood you can accelerate faste-

Yeah, sure, why not. Talking with you makes my head spin.

She doesn't even drop anything. Though she ended up getting the last laugh; she triggered Elly's Support Defend on a 43%.

Leaving Marisa free to get murdered by the last kappa on an 18%. :negative:

This isn't game over, but I need both Marisa and Alice alive for a secret so I guess I'm restarting!

On take two, I go full paranoid and group everyone into a giant support defense block.

Nitori posted:

Will the Scarlet Devil Mansion be okay without its gatekeeper?
Once all the other enemies are defeated, Nitori gets more aggressive.

Don't worry, the mistress and Lady Patchouli will deal with any intruders.

That's good I guess, but then why do you even need a gateke-

Please don't finish that!

I wonder if the Hyper Beam Cucumber runs on dead produce?

Both Marisa and Alice have to talk to Nitori in order for something to happen later.

Nitori!

Marisa...! I've got nothing to say to you, go back home!

Like I'd just do that! Why are you siding with the Moriya shrine? Don't tell me you want them to take over the Hakurei shrine!

...That has nothing to do with you. It was the mountain's decision based on Lady Kochiya's wishes, and I'm abiding by it!

...Like I thought, she doesn't want to listen.

Oh, so it's all because of "Lady" Kochiya? Why are you even listening to her?

A lot of things changed last summer. Youkai mountain is cooperating with the god of Moriya shrine now.

It's easy to say that, but do you even know what working with them means?

The Hakurei shrine's gonna get wiped out, don't you care at all!?

...Calm down, Marisa. Let me try talking to her next.

Let me make sure if Nitori is serious about allying with Moriya shrine.

Back in FMW1, whenever you got the option to talk things out you'd have to give up whatever rewards the boss would have dropped in exchange.

It's been a while, Nitori.

Alice. I knew you'd come with Marisa.

I'd like to know why Youkai Mountain and Moriya shrine have such a strong bond. What benefits does the mountain receive from working with the shrine?

The agreement was that if we believe in Lady Yasaka and Lady Kochiya, Youkai Mountain will receive divine blessings. What are you going to do now that you know that?

Ask a small question. They were arguing last summer, so why are they working together now? If I were to take a guess... it was for simple, mutual benefit.

...What do you mean?

I mean that it's not a relationship based on trust. Has Moriya shrine told you what they gain from this?

They... I don't know. I've never even spoken with them... underlings like me aren't even allowed on the shrine grounds.

They don't even let you in...?

How strange of you to believe in someone you know nothing about.

...Nitori, do you really want to side with Moriya shrine? Are you really fighting us for some gods you don't even know!?

That's, I...

Of course I want to help you! But I can't... All I can do is drive you out with everything I've got!

Nitori!

quote:

Water Sign "Kappa's Pororoca"
Nitori is less easily convinced, so I actually get to beat her. Not that she drops anything besides XP and points.

Kappa's Pororoca dunks everybody in range of the field underwater, which will strengthen Nitori, and any other surviving kappa.

Good thing I can bomb it. I can't take her down in one turn, but I can get her low enough for Marisa and Alice to finish it next turn.

Gotta remember to get my units out of the water though!

This chapter's so short that everyone is still near full MP.

So yesterday's friend is today's enemy... this is bad for my heart.

What, don't tell me you want me to go easy on you!

Yeah, I know you can't. Besides, that's that and this is this. Making a clear division between the two is important!

So I can dump all the finishers on Nitori. So even though she's technically a tank, I'm doing so much damage it doesn't matter.

Somehow a waterfall of bullets turns into a Hyper Mega Cannon.

Which itself shoots a waterfall, so I guess it checks out.

If you kappa flooded the river, it would have been harder to enter the mountain.

You've gotten pretty carefree. Do you even know how dangerous that would be?

I'm merely getting along with my group. I'm sure Marisa would have said the same.

The bomb only cleared out space for one point blank attack, so Sakuya moves out of the way and uses Misdirection.

Thus clearing a path for Meiling to bust out her super punch.

For some unfathomable reason Nitori tries to finish Meiling off with her weakest attack instead of another shot of Pororoca.

Even Elly can tank that.

...You have it nice, Alice. You're always on Marisa's side.

Well maybe if you didn't suck so much in FMW3 I'd run Marisa C. :colbert:

Where did that come from...?

But it's true. I, honestly I'm kind of...

A Master Spark + Shanghai Doll finish would be nice, but all Alice and Marisa are in range to do is Artful Sacrifice and

Stardust Reverie.

Whew, we went all out...

Marisa, is this enough?

...I guess there's no helping it, we have to move on. Nitori, will you really not come with us...?

Marisa, that's enough. It's hard for her as is. She may sympathize with the mountain's shrine, but that doesn't mean she's our enemy. For now, that will have to be enough.

Yeah, I guess...

...Nitori, we have to keep moving on. I'm sorry, but please pretend you didn't see us.

...Alright. It's dangerous up ahead, so be careful...

...Nitori! After we finish up with Moriya shrine, I'm definitely going to come and tell you all about it!

You better not regret not coming with us later!

Nitori heads upstream.

She left...

At any rate, I'm not sure if she was holding back or going all out.

We're not nearly as worn out as we could have been. Perhaps there's something to be said for diplomacy.

I have no idea what Meiling and Sakuya are actually saying, so I just made something up. Check the rough draft if you want to try.

In any case, we can't stop here. We need to decide on our next destinati- hm?

What's wrong?

It would appear one kappa has yet to escape. I'd like to have a word with her.

There's alternate dialogue if you fight Nitori normally, and if you fail to capture her spell. I'm not showing either because come on.

------

The player has stopped. Thanks again for your hard work.

Yeah, thanks. But you know, even though the game title's "P", you aren't a main character, huh.

It can't be helped. I received a bonus route in E, so I'm fine with this.

Huh? Was there really something like that?

Yes. If you cleared both main characters' routes, a scenario starring me will be unlocked. Oh, and I think you appear too.

Huh? Nah, I don't remember that at all. Totally don't know a thing.

What are you talking about? Well, I suppose you did appear with a joke name. What was it, Mysterio-

Woah there, that's enough!

...Hmph.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 30, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Kappa Valley
Music: Border of Regular and Irregular Days (aaaaagh this game needs more generic conversation themes)

Full Text

quote:

So where should we go next?

I'll never tell!

I hear turtle blood is delicious.

On second thought, try Stage 4!

Still kind of bothered about Nitori!

------

I can take off the shells now.

Sakuya has enough PP to pick up Ammo Save too.

Upgrades. I dump some points into Meiling and Elly's defensive attributes and MP, and give Alice an extra blip in weapons so she can match with Marisa.

Kurumi has no upgrades at all. She is probably going to stay like that.

Nitori Kawashiro

All Attacks

Ryza kind of messed up the audio balancing this time, the SFX shouldn't be that faint.

------

The game has been paused. Please take a break.

...After entering Youkai Mountain, Reimu's group ended up in an extremely suspicious place. The mischievous fairies are a welcome sight, but who else is there...?

Now then, please have fun playing Chapter 20 of Fantasy Maiden Wars P: "Calamity of the Misfortune God"!

(Translation Rough Draft)

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 25, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Since we've reached the equivalent of Stage 3 in MoF, I want to take the time to say that Mountain of Faith is friggin' gorgeous in terms of its nature scenery. Especially this stage as you run up the river. I don't think any other Touhou game has had such beautiful backgrounds as this.

As for this stage itself, it's pretty bland.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Honestly I'm kind of tempted to just skip 20R and move onto 21, because that's when the MoF section of this game finally picks up.

And poo poo, 20R is Stage 2. who even cares about hina

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

BlitzBlast posted:

If you kappa flooded the river, it would have been harder to enter the mountain.

You've gotten pretty carefree. Do you even know how dangerous that would be?

Says the kappa who blew up a mountain to cause a landslide because they were too lazy to build a dam.

It's too bad that FA Nitori is nearly identical to her original form. This would have been a nice place in the plot to get a big upgrade, and as you mentioned she sort of fades into insignificance in FMW3. Okay I can't remember if she's good for the rest of PCB because I ended up timing everything out.

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly I'm kind of tempted to just skip 20R and move onto 21, because that's when the MoF section of this game finally picks up.

You should definitely skip Reimu where possible because Reimu is boring. I just replayed FMW3 on Reimu's route and it is absolutely shocking how horrible her path is compared to Marisa's. Even though I had already heard about it, it was still shocking.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 29, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Uh with the exception of the upgrade chapter's plot, Reimu's FMW3 route is straight up more fun/interesting than Marisa's so not really sure what you're talking about.

I mean I guess if you like annoying bonuses and chapters that are practically cutscenes that's one thing but you know. Opinions.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
24: Touhou Edition

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Uh with the exception of the upgrade chapter's plot, Reimu's FMW3 route is straight up more fun/interesting than Marisa's so not really sure what you're talking about.

I mean I guess if you like annoying bonuses and chapters that are practically cutscenes that's one thing but you know. Opinions.

I was talking about the upgrade chapter, but I didn't want to mention it specifically in case we were worried about spoilers. To be honest I don't actually remember any other part of Marisa's route so maybe you have a point.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh, so they're having Sanae be visited by a mysterious voice in her dreams as well. I guess they might be pushing her as a third PC then? Sakuya and Youmu don't seem to have gotten anything implying they'll be important to the plot outside of their games, so it's a bit strange.

I agree that there really needs to be more variety with the conversation themes, especially since the ones Sanbondo added for this game are really good. A lot of the ones from the first game were kinda meh, but i'm pretty sure out of the new conversation tracks there's not a single one I dislike. I didn't mention it before but the Night Sakura remix from the prologue is one of my favourite arranges from the game.

Also, about who likes Hina. I think the designers might, considering how she gets a new theme and a new attack in the next game. (At least I assume it's a new attack I haven't played it, but why would it have been in the trailer otherwise)

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

BlitzBlast posted:

... I like Hina.

A bit. Not in my top ten, but I at least find her more memorable than several other characters.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
This is an incredibly nerdy thing to do, but I'm almost positive that "oddly colored Kappa" is a reference to this particular bit of Touhou fandom nonsense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wy0buXRNIQ

The fact her outfit supposedly helps with acceleration (Her theme is subtitled "One-Way Accelerator") kind of feeds into that idea for me.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Well, um...

Have you ever watched a Gundam series before?

Because the red Kappa is completely a parody of Gundam's most famous bad guy, Char Aznable.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Well, um...

Have you ever watched a Gundam series before?

Because the red Kappa is completely a parody of Gundam's most famous bad guy, Char Aznable.

Do most Gundam series contain references to Char? I know the meme through pop-cultural osmosis, but I don't think watching any of the newer ones would teach you that factoid. More to the point though, wasn't the reference pointed out by Blitz in the post?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If it helps, Mitori was probably a Char joke herself.

Clarste posted:

Do most Gundam series contain references to Char? I know the meme through pop-cultural osmosis, but I don't think watching any of the newer ones would teach you that factoid.

Yes, yes it would.

Oh lord, yes it would.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 29, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

At least one of those is like a super-mode or something, which doesn't really feel like the same thing. Also referenced separately by one of Reisen's attacks.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The first time Trans-Am shows up it's explicitly explained that it triples output. It really could not have been more blatant. And 00 has an actual Char rip-off anyways, I just didn't post the Susanowo.

Basically if there is one thing you can trust a Gundam show to do, it's to be up its own rear end with series references.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Huh, I stand corrected then.

...what exactly would three times faster look like with these game mechanics? Triple mobility seems like it would be absurd given the scale (I think that would put her higher than Yorihime), but movement range seems underwhelming.

vvvv Okay.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 29, 2014

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder

Might not be a bad idea to throw a spoiler tag in here seeing as its pretty much the big surprise for the next game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I can buy the kappa making meaningless Gundam references. It seems like their type of thing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just noticed that the last update said you were no longer on break. Does that mean that the LP is going on hiatus or that the update schedule will need to change?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

woah what a post

Yeah college and club duties have been killing my free time, but things have actually just started to calm down. 20R should be up Sunday (or late Saturday), and the two week schedule should continue from there.

EDIT: or maybe a surprise midterm will bite me in the rear end, aaaagh only 75 lines left to translate. :suicide:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 27, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I somehow completely failed to notice the latest (er, month old) update. Must have accidentally closed the tab at some point, it was at the bottom of my bookmarks.

Sucks for Nitori that her upgrade really doesn't have much of an impact. She has some really silly/cool animations. But Keine survived the transition to the next games a lot better than her, even though they weren't way too different in the first one.
Anyway, knowing what the real Nitori is like nowadays all this drama is kinda silly.

BlitzBlast posted:

I have no idea what Meiling and Sakuya are actually saying, so I just made something up. Check the rough draft if you want to try.
I took a crack at this and after wasting a bunch of time , I think Meiling's saying that all their opponents are going all out, while Sakuya is saying something to the extent that sometimes you gotta beat people up to convince them? Maybe?

HGH fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 26, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HGH posted:

Anyway, knowing what the real Nitori is like nowadays all this drama is kinda silly.

Well, this game came out after Subterranean Animism so it's not as if Nitori being a huge rear end in a top hat was unknown at the time. She spends most of that game ordering Marisa to beat up random youkai and unlike virtually everyone else Nitori didn't want to stop the evil spirits or anything, she just wanted Marisa to kidnap a crow so that she could be the first Kappa to have a taste of Nuclear Power. I'm kind of surprised she isn't more of a jerk in this game since Sanbondo is usually pretty spot-on with their characterisations. I guess they just thought there were too many jerks in the game already, and thought she'd play a better role as a nicer character?

thefailtrain
Apr 4, 2011

Counterpoint: More pink.

Glazius posted:

I can buy the kappa making meaningless Gundam references. It seems like their type of thing.

If this weren't Japanese, I'd almost say it was a 40k reference. Orks have odd notions of how technology works there.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm sure you're all wondering why this update took so long.

This shrine in the corner of my room may be related to the answer.

The update actually isn't done yet, but I figure I've kept you all waiting long enough. Sorry for being such an easily distracted lazy rear end. :shobon:

---

20R also starts with Sanae in denial. Let me skip to the part after it.

quote:

Youkai Mountain
Music: Secret Mission!

Full Text

quote:

I'm still an idiot!

I think we're even dumber for following you.

quote:

Youkai Mountain

Full Text

quote:

Uh, should I have mentioned that I know this place?

Yes.

quote:

The Great Youkai Forest
Music: I'm Pretty Sure This Song Doesn't Have A Name

Full Text

quote:

GHOST ATTACK AAAAAAH

I think somebody's in trouble.

Not our proble-

LET'S GO HELP

------

Huh, you stopped playing. Thanks for the hard work. Anyway while you're taking a break, I'll try playing.

Eh, what about my job?

How about you do me a favor and sub for me? Heh.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Calamity of the Misfortune God

This was originally "Calamity of the Curse God", but then I checked the wiki. A shame, I liked the alliteration.

Whew, those ghosts shouldn't catch us here.

Well that's good but... aren't we in an even creepier place now? At this point, I'm starting to wish we stayed inside today...

Me too, but even if you say that we don't know how to go back...

...Wait, there's someone over there.

Whoever she is, she's pretty...

This is great, we can ask her for directions.

Hey, calm down. She could be dangerou-

Cirno moves forward.

Hey you, tell us how to get to the shrine!

? Who are you people? Have you fairies lost your way?

Y-yes, that's right. Actually, we were on our way to the shrine at the top of the mountain.

The mountain's shrine? What business would fairies have there? ...Well in any case, the path ahead is far too dangerous for you. Please leave at once.

No way! If you think we're too weak, then we'll beat the info out of you!

Hey, don't be like that. We don't want a fi-

You should listen to a person's warnings. This may be a little violent, but you've left me with no choice but to forcefully expel you.

Woah, she looks like she's ready to go too!

If it's come to this, let's just leave Cirno behind and ru- huh?

Enemies spawn in.

Mokou posted:

What is this place...!? There's some kind of awful curse.

Huh, the miasma here is thick enough that even non-spiritually sensitive people can see it.

That's... Cirno!?

Dai!? Why are you on Youkai Mountain?

That's our line. What were you and those three pranksters thinking?

...So even humans have come here. Are you friends of these fairies?

Not even close. Anyway, is this curse your doing?

Yes, I am Hina Kagiyama, a misfortune god. I'm gathering up the misfortune flowing here from upstream.

So this weird mist is bad luck?

Don't treat it lightly. If you get too close, you'll meet a terrible fate.

A misfortune god, huh? I'd like to hear my fortune~.

...As the one minding humanity's misfortunes, it's my duty to send away humans who have gone astray. If your goal is the shrine, then I will have to send you all away.

How did you know where we're going?

I asked her how to get there. Isn't it fine as long as we make it?

This is supposed to be covert, don't just spill your guts like that! ...At this point we should just break away and leave the fairies as decoys. We don't have time to play around.

N-no, please don't...!

We already took the trouble of coming here, don't you think we should help 'em? Leaving them out to dry would kill the mood.

True enough. Okay, let's beat up this creepy god and keep on going!

quote:

Victory: Defeat Hina.
Defeat: All allies defeated.
Bonus: Hina is the last enemy defeated.
This is a total filler chapter.

The missing fairies are unceremoniously dumped into my lap, and they all kind of suck. You can get some mileage out of the Three Fairies with their combination attack and their default PS (accuracy/evasion buffs to surrounding units), but that's overkill for this chapter.

I usually just have them all cast defensive spirits and hide in the corner until they're needed.

Nobody is in range to do anything on turn 1. Well except Komachi, but Avici is useless on Lunatic because enemies will always defend.

These evil eyes and ghosts... I don't think Gensokyo has any youkai like them. Why are they here?

I do not know either. I assume someone brought them along for companionship, but lost control.

Maybe~. It's nice they can call them, but it's no good if they're not strong enough to control them.

Huh, I get the feeling I've heard this before...

Kurumi you fuckup. :argh:

Music: Careless though it's Spring

Doofy Ghosts hit pretty hard, and Luna is the only fairy without a way to nullify damage. I could have had her cast Guard, but eh.

Incidentally, Doofy Ghosts aren't actually classified as ghosts for some reason.

They and Evil Eyes are listed under Youkai, so Reimu tears through them.

Down below, the fairies attempt to take out a Doofy Ghost with a barrage of attacks. It spams Defend, so they fail.

Music: Reinforcements - Theme of the Detestable Youkai

Some spirits spawn in on the enemy phase of turn 2.

It's those creepy spirits from early!

Uagh, do you think they're following us?!

Sheesh, are there still vengeful spirits hanging around here?

Vengeful...? Wait, are these spirits different from normal ones?

Definitely. These guys weren't ferried across the Sanzu River, so they've just been walking around building up a grudge. You'll get caught in it too if you aren't careful, so stay on your toes.

They're also hot to the touch, so the Three Fairies' plan was even more boneheaded.

If they're still angry even after dying, they must have had some really strong feelings.

...Even death won't wipe away a real grudge.

For this chapter, I like to have Reimu handle the northern enemies while Mokou, Keine, and Komachi draw the attention of the rest.

Probably should have had Keine cast Strike though.

Lunatic makes 20R's enemies a huge SP sink. It'll make Hina more annoying,

because she has Sense. I'm glad she went for Mokou, Reimu would have been screwed.

I don't know that much about bad luck, but I'll burn it up anyways.

...So humans still resort to fire. I suppose it is a power that can reduce all to nothingness.

What, you have a problem with what I can do?

You misunderstand. Your sins and misfortune are a burning hellfire of their own... If you intend to wield fire, you must keep that knowledge in mind.

Music: Misery Go Round

Hina is all about the spinning.

Spirit AI is smart enough not to attack enemies they can't hit, so Reimu has to kill them one at a time. :argh:

Even if it's for your duty, it's quite tragic that you stay alone in a place like this.

Your sympathy is appreciated. But as a misfortune god, I must fulfill my duty.

A lot of Hina's attacks look like they should inflict debuffs, but nope.

Up north, I got annoyed and had Reimu drop two Fantasy Seals to insta-gib some Kedamas. And since she's out of SP, the spirits got a non-zero hit rate and mobbed her. It didn't work out well for them.

Maybe I shouldn't have blown all of Reimu's SP, but after last update consecutive 9%'s don't look safe anymore.

Now that Hina's on the move, it's best to group up again.

The fairies also get in position. They have the important job of popping Hina's Alerts.

I had to stall for a few turns to take out the remaining grunts. Much to my surprise, Reimu didn't run into any RNG bullshit.

Hina is kind enough to fall for my bait.

You keep spinning around, don't you get dizzy?

Dizzy? I'm not sure what you mean, but I never stagger.

Oh, is that so? I guess you've practiced a lot, you're like a bat. You don't run into anything.

On the next turn I start attacking Hina in earnest.

Are you the shinigami I've heard about? The one who occasionally comes here to help vengeful spirits move on?

Oh, uh, well it's not like I plan on finding them... they kind of rampage all over the place.

While I'm grateful for your help, I'm afraid I can't show you any lenience.

I was really not expecting Komachi to hit a 51%.

If you're sucking up bad luck, does that mean something good will happen to me?

I suppose. Without misfortune, your luck can only improve.

Really?! So I'm going to find a four-leaf clover, or a wishbone, or-

...I'm sorry, but cleansing misfortune and granting good luck are two entirely different things.

Cirno even hit a 66% Support Attack! Twice!

Hina's HP gets so low she starts defending, which makes it safe for Reimu to come up and smack her.

I don't often give warnings, and yet a human plunged into this spring of misfortune anyways.

What a shame. But as a shrine maiden, a curse as piddly as this isn't a problem!

...I see. You lack self-awareness, but it seems you're strong enough it doesn't matter.

And yes, she hit. I guess it's fitting that Hina has the worst luck.

How's that? We're winning!

I guess gods aren't that big of a deal after all. Though maybe I should wash my hands later.

But it's because I gather what you'd wash off that humans can live in peace...

A god that collects dirt? This mountain has all kinds of people on it.

That was my best attempt at translating a japanese joke.

Well they're called the eight million gods after all. You got to expect a few weird ones.

Oh that's right, you're also a god. That means you can tell us more about the mountain's situation. If it's no trouble, could you give us any information you have about the Moriya shrine?

It would very much be trouble. Ahead of you is the world of the gods, a place far too dangerous for humans. As an ally of humanity, I'm trying to chase you away for your own go-

Shut it already. You're a youkai, so you're my enemy! If you don't cut it with the complaints, I'll just exterminate you!

I suppose you're right! I have no choice then. Take the misfortune I've absorbed so far!

quote:

Wound Sign "Pain Flow"

Pain Flow maxes Hina's critical rate.

If you give up and quietly let us through, I'll be nice enough to forgive you!

...If you give up and quietly leave, I'll be kind enough to forgive you.

Grrr... you're a tough one.

Didn't do a thing for her luck though, Cirno landed yet another 66%. And this time I used Freeze.

Mokou drops a bomb,

Music: Punishing Love Theme

which clears the way for Keine.

On the next turn, Hina finally dodges an attack.

Cirno ended up missing both of her Support Attacks, so I had to land Freeze with a Tackle.

I had Keine trigger Mokou's Support Attack so the latter could build up her power to use her finisher, but they ended up leaving Hina near death.

And Reimu has dibs on killing blows.

:toot:

Alright, we turned the tables!

Even though I was kindly doing this for your own good...

Trying to force us out isn't very kind.

Well there wasn't any ill will behind it, so I guess we may as well thank her anyways.

*sigh* I suppose you're all heading to the mountain's shrine now.

That's the plan. Will you answer our questions now?

For heaven's sake, you can't do whatever you want and expect everyone to follow your lead... is what I'd like to say, at least. If you tell me why you want to go to the shrine, I'll tell you what I know.

Huh, so she was a good person.

I'm not sure who was the villain here...

Hina drops a Draft Beer. It fully restores MP.

------

Whew, that's the end of today's work. Now then, Lady Patchouli, how about we take a bath together?

What...? I bathe alone, don't just suddenly spew nonsense like that.

I see, what a shame. And after all that work I put into getting these cosmetics... look, hasn't that human been coming to the library a lot recently? It's important that you take care of your hair.

...Are you implying something? I'm fine, just go take a bath already.

Oookay. Well then, I'll just head off on my own.

...Now that she mentions it, I have been finding more split ends lately...

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 30, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Here, incidentally, is pretty much where I stopped translating for like three weeks. Wasn't even that much left, just :effort:. and lots of exposition

EDIT: And then I totally forgot to actually update this post until like two weeks after I finished the translation. :sweatdrop:

quote:

The Great Youkai Forest

Full Text

quote:

*exposition*

Well, no way we're getting by all those guards in stage 4. Let's look for another route.

Nah, with us around you can just sneak by!

By the way, are you actually human?

!

Haha well I guess that's private. I'll just keep an eye on you.
------

Hina Kagiyama

All Attacks

Itomugi didn't draw anything for the Three Fairies either, which is entirely fine by me.

All Attacks

Sunny Milk
Personality: Strong-willed (Hit: +1, Kill: +4, Get Hit: +1, Ally Killed: +1, Graze: +1)
Characters Skills: HP Regenerate (S), Sunny Barrier (Laser attacks underneath a certain damage threshold are nullified.)
Personal Skills: Sun Fairy (15% HP regen every turn when not in Night terrain), Three Light Fairies (activates Sunny's friendships with Luna and Star), Reflection (allies around Sunny can not be hit for a turn, limited uses), Enhanced Sunny Barrier
Spirits: Vigor, Guts, Alert, Grit (25), Spirit (30), Valor (35?)

Sunny is one of the three characters in this game to hit a full list of six spirits. Too bad so many of them are redundant; beyond being harder to kill than a cockroach (which is actually useful for timing out cards), Sunny doesn't have much going for her. She's supposed to be the attacker of the trio, but her accuracy blows and her damage is even worse.
But no seriously, what is with that spirit list? Alert and Grit? Vigor and Guts? why

Battle theme: Unrefracting Curiosity (Sunny Rutile Reflection)
S-Formation theme: The Tiny Future Shines Brightly (Refrain of the Lovely Great War)

Luna Child
Personality: Cautious (Kill: +4, Evade: +3, Ally Killed: +1, Graze: +2)
Characters Skills: HP Regenerate (S)
Personal Skills: Moon Fairy (20% HP regen every turn in Night terrain), Three Light Fairies, Silence (increases Hit Rate of all allies in the eight tiles around Luna)
Spirits: Focus, Guard, Strike, Gain (23), Trust (33), Accel (40)

I guess she's theoretically the tank of the trio, but she's horrible at that. Silence is really neat, but unless you keep her on the frontlines it won't help that much.
Luna has the best theme of the three.

Battle theme: Careless Though it's Spring (Sleepless Due to the Night)

Star Sapphire
Personality: Cunning (Hit: +1, Kill: +4, Miss: +2, Ally Killed: +1, Graze: +1)
Characters Skills: HP Regenerate (S)
Personal Skills: Star Fairy (10% HP regen every turn), Three Light Fairies, Radar (increases Evade Rate of all allies in the eight tiles around Star)
Spirits: Scan, Cheer, Alert, Focus (24), Luck (30)

The support character, which instantly makes her more useful than either Sunny or Luna. Too bad Dai is better. Radar isn't nearly as useful as Silence too.
No relation to the DC superhero. Or villain. Whatever she is, I haven't checked on Green Lantern in a while.

Battle theme: Trickster Girl (In Regards to Fairy Refulgence)

------

The game has been paused. Please take a break.

...Reimu's group plans to use the fairies to sneak through the waterfall, but unsurprisingly the plan fails. And their opposition is extremely eager to avenge their previous loss.

Against this many tengu, can they really win...?

Now then, please have fun playing Chapter 21 of Fantasy Maiden Wars P: "The Visible Path"!

And hopefully the next update won't take two months.

(Translation Rough Draft)

------

We're finally at the good part of MoF. The routes are joining up again, so more voting too.

Available cost: 15.0

Available units:
Keine
Mokou
Komachi

Cirno

Rumia
Daiyousei
Sunny
Luna
Star

(Reimu and Marisa's entire team are basically force deployed, so they don't count)

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 13, 2015

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Is it voting time? Then we gotta bring along Dai, which puts the remaining cost to 13.5.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Hina's deal is removing misfortune, not inflicting it, so I guess her not debuffing people is part of that.

Also Cirno you moron.

Edit: No Gundam X Maoh or Crossbones X in that pile. You're a fraud, Blitzblast!

Edit edit: D'oh, almost forgot the voting. Sunny.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Mokou, for 9.5 after Sunny.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Edit: No Gundam X Maoh or Crossbones X in that pile. You're a fraud, Blitzblast!

gunpla thread posted:

W.T. Fits posted:

What, no Gundam X Maoh? :colbert:

BlitzBlast posted:

I don't like it nearly as much as the original.

...I probably will pick it up someday, though.

And the Crossbone Maoh can suck it, it's not a real GX. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Voting for the best three fairy, Luna which puts the count at 8.0.

• Locked thread