Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Apoplexy posted:

Yeah, that picture's loving nauseating. To imagine that many loving worms/other parasites infesting your flesh to that extent? I go insane if there's a single fly in my room. There are people all over the world who have worms living in them and that's just what their loving lives are. They got worms. They don't die from them, like they do starvation or malaria, so worms are small potatoes.

One of my favourite theories about the causes of obesity is the idea that we are getting fat because of our increased sanitation having completely eradicated many of the typical gut worms that have ailed humanity since we first became a species. Of course all you'd have to do get re-infected is to travel to the less developed parts of the world, take off your shoes and literally step in a pile of poo poo.

VVVV EDIT: Causes, as in plural. :v:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's definitely that and not that all of the food that is cheap in America is solid calories and no nutrition.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah. My favorite thing about America is that we actually have fat, malnourished people.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

NESguerilla posted:

He's not really cut out for flashy poo poo. I wish he'd go back to making stuff like his early movies.

I agree with this 100%. Turns out the guy whose good at brooding horror and dark fantasy loving sucks at big screen action and apocalyptic television.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I pretty much skip anything that is not vampire related and it's been a really good show. What cigarette quest?

I skip most of the posts in this thread and it's still a really bad thread.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Sorry can't do it anymore, I can't watch this show. I had to shut it off at the scene where Ephrims kid tells Noras mom "If I go get cigarettes for you will you go back downstairs?". That sent me over the edge.. the stupidity of this kid and other people is just too much. I am done! If they kill off Noras mom and the kid and the Mexican gangster teams up with the group let me know. That might make it watchable again, else wise I just can't suffer through it. I would rather watch New Girl.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

Sorry can't do it anymore, I can't watch this show. I had to shut it off at the scene where Ephrims kid tells Noras mom "If I go get cigarettes for you will you go back downstairs?". That sent me over the edge.. the stupidity of this kid and other people is just too much. I am done! If they kill off Noras mom and the kid and the Mexican gangster teams up with the group let me know. That might make it watchable again, else wise I just can't suffer through it. I would rather watch New Girl.

Vampire swat is the only thing keeping me on. Even after reading the books and knowing how bat-poo poo crazy everything gets they really, REALLY need to up the pace.

I actually don't mind the characters, they're dumb but I guess I'm used to that in TV shows but Christ the pacing is so slow and meandering.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

savinhill posted:

I skip most of the posts in this thread and it's still a really bad thread.

It's the thread this show deserves so

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I was real sad about the missed punchline in last weeks episode with cigarette quest. Nora's mom smoked lights and the kid got her menthols. Was totally waiting for her to flip out over him getting the wrong cigs cause god drat smokers are ridiculous about that kind of thing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
If only Omar could get that good a jump on Marlo Stanfield. :(

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So a vamp definitely saw Dutch go into the pawn shop and I'm sure they're about to get run on.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
YOU BROKE THE INTERNET!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Let the most boring man alive speak to the world. Great plan.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I always like it when someone is the voice of reason in a show like this ("I'm an escaped fugitive, who's going to believe me?") and then everyone else shouts them down.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So Gus teams up with the Vamp SWAT. This could be awesome.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Sleepy Hollow is better than this poo poo.

-I just started watching Sleepy Hallow is why.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
one more intolerable scene-ruining character down, pick up the pace writers!

This wasn't too bad of an episode. The Vampire action force emerging inexplicably from their Mystery Machine on some random docks is highly comedic and welcome.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
No, what was comedic was Quinlan's seeming-exasperation at them going to grab the wrong guy. "Come on, guys. He has diamond fronts and isn't hispanic. How can you mistake the two?" The star remains Eichhorst, to me. That fucker manages creepy awesomely.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Germans are creepy, it's a thing

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Funny aside: Check out his IMDB page. Nothing but playing characters literally named Ze Germahn.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's great in Basterds

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
He was one of the lead guys in the bar scene card game, if I can remember right? If so, loving yes he was.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

He was one of the lead guys in the bar scene card game, if I can remember right? If so, loving yes he was.

No, the Bear Jew beat his rear end to death.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh, that's a real minor part. He was just a scared Nazi. That's hardly his grand Eichhorst performance.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
and he crushed it

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

hcreight posted:

Let the most boring man alive speak to the world. Great plan.

You'd think if that speech was so important they'd record it beforehand until it was perfect. Nah, gently caress it, we're doing it live!

Well, at least one annoying useless secondary character is down and Vampire SWAT showed up again. Now only the kid needs to bite it as well and we might actually have a somewhat enjoyable cast. Also, Eichhorst is totally gonna implant that vampire heart of Setrakian's wife into some other vampire just to gently caress with him, isn't he?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I totally appreciate the surreal qualities to all of this. We're in a guitar store! The outside world doesn't even exist anymore, we're in a strange bubble of bad acting and inappropriately perfect hair!
This magical feeling of nowhereness, otherworldliness is induced by leaving it totally unclear what the state of the outside world is - is there a vampire plague/zombie apocalypse happening out there, or is it business as usual? It's impossible to tell, because our sensory modalities are giving us conflicting evidence, with visually literally empty streets, sirens from unseen sources, people talking about zombies hordes that aren't there.
I can't stop watching.

Apoplexy posted:

Yeah. My favorite thing about America is that we actually have fat, malnourished people.
That's actually not so rare, the main problem during many famines is not calories, but protein.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I still really enjoy this show, but it is frustrating on some levels. One of the main problems is that the pace of the show makes some of the characters seem out of place and you don't know why they're around until much later, so many viewers just get frustrated by all of the apparently useless build up for those characters.

For example:

Perestroika posted:

Now only the kid needs to bite it as well and we might actually have a somewhat enjoyable cast.

The kid serves a very specific purpose in the books but I can't tell if they're even going to make a point of it, because one event he was a part of happened without his part in it being explained.

Also, remember when everybody said "oh the rat catcher guy is totally useless" and more recently when people didn't think Gus had a point? That all changed.

That's not really the fault of the viewers for feeling that way. The pacing of the show is its own worst enemy. You shouldn't have to read the books to enjoy the show on its own.

Finally: I did not understand the choice of actor for Setrakian in the 60's scenes. It was a young guy wearing hilarious age makeup. Was it the same actor from the concentration camp scenes? I couldn't tell. The makeup job on him looked like Peter Sellers in disguise in a Pink Panther movie.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

InfiniteZero posted:

Finally: I did not understand the choice of actor for Setrakian in the 60's scenes. It was a young guy wearing hilarious age makeup. Was it the same actor from the concentration camp scenes? I couldn't tell. The makeup job on him looked like Peter Sellers in disguise in a Pink Panther movie.
You didn't think his giant 3D eyebrows or penciled face creases were good?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

InfiniteZero posted:

Also, remember when everybody said "oh the rat catcher guy is totally useless" and more recently when people didn't think Gus had a point? That all changed.
I don't think anybody was upset they were directly boring as it's pretty obvious they are going to play a part soon enough, only that the pacing has been so excruciatingly slow. It's taken 12 episodes for Gus to now maybe-kinda be relevant to the story.

It's exciting when you don't know what steps a character will take or what will happen to him. But when it's written out in burning letters across the sky that his mother is going to die and he is a token gangbanger with a golden heart seeing it happen over a dozen episodes is boring as gently caress.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Which one is Gus? The Latin Kings' wannabe?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 29, 2014

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Oh hello, Deadnatz squad.

Oh, see you in 5 weeks, Deadnatz squad.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Well next week is the season finale, so more accurately it's "see you in season 2." :smith:

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Drifter posted:

Which one is Gus? The Latin Kings' wannabe?

Gus is the guy who got a bunch of free machine guns and ammunition, then pushed his luck and somehow wound up with some giant stacks of cash also, but that STILL wasn't good enough so he asked the dealer for another card on top of that but it was over 21 this time and he opened a boxcar full of vampires.

Alzheimer's is a horrible disease, so it's good she doesn't have to suffer any more. Oh thank God please not one more seen with this woman

I don't know why Past Setrakian was so surprised when he climbed out of the well . What about Eichhorst made you think he wouldn't kill your horse and pull its entrails out.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I'm surprised he was able to climb up the well.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

No, the Bear Jew beat his rear end to death.

He's a really awesome actor IMO, one of the few good things about the show especially the whole disguise premise.

Basically human monster who became a real monster and goes through lots of effort to blend in until the disguise is no longer needed.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
My grandfather died of Alzheimers last year so I felt sort of horrible thinking it, but yeah, I'm glad the mother is not on the show anymore. She lasts into like book 3 I think.

Every monday my coworker asks me how my "dumb show" was :smith:

And sorry everyone but miniEph is with us for a whole lot longer

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
So far Under the Dome and Strain are two shows where I wish most characters would be killed. Surprisingly, Under the Dome delivered on this in a more consistent fashion.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Whispering Machines posted:

And sorry everyone but miniEph is with us for a whole lot longer

His depraved indifference to the world around him is starting to grow on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Flashback Setrakian stole Eph's wig

• Locked thread