Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DGK2000 posted:

His role isn't entirely vanilla.

merk posted:

I'm Vanilla Town.
What do you know that I don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

CapnAndy posted:

What do you know that I don't

That there are 5 important people in this game who are town.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

DGK2000 posted:

And Merk is one of them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Okay, poo poo is clearly going on around the edges that I'm not aware of and it confuses me.

So gently caress all this dumb bullshit! I would like to make a case! Here is my case:

Tokes, you're better than this. You are lurking beyond all measure, you are not making cases, you are not participating at all. And you're doing it while we're all flailing around and completely failing to identify scum at all. It's almost like that's a state of affairs you approve of and you're just happy to sit back and let it happen. I call you scum, madam.

##vote token female

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Were Byers, KFC, or QPQ any of the important people?

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!
What the hell sorta reaction is that merk? DGK could be paranoid or insane, instead you just threw your hands in the air and gave up.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Quidnose posted:

Were Byers, KFC, or QPQ any of the important people?

No.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

DGK2000 posted:

So basically you are claiming you can clear 5 people as town simply by flavor? That seems unusually powerful.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hal Incandenza posted:

So basically you are claiming you can clear 5 people as town simply by flavor? That seems unusually powerful.

From my role PM, yes.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
:zombie:

kilran posted:

Byers2142 [Resistance-Aligned Human Gunsmith] was terminated on Night 2.

Yes, that is Terry Crews in Terminator: Salvation. No, you're not forgetting his presence in that movie, he was completely cut. This is why...

Byers2142 posted:

Confirmed. My flavor role is proof that Terminator: Salvation is literally the worst movie ever.

Good luck, town.

:zombie:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

tearshed posted:

What the hell sorta reaction is that merk? DGK could be paranoid or insane, instead you just threw your hands in the air and gave up.

Could be, but those arguments never stop the lynch. I needed another claim to happen... and it happened.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
DGK, what's your flavour?

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Rarity posted:

DGK, what's your flavour?

Not saying yet.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DGK2000 posted:

Not saying yet.

Can you at least share your reasons for keeping it to yourself?

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Rarity posted:

Can you at least share your reasons for keeping it to yourself?

Scum and fakeclaiming.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

DGK2000 posted:

And Merk is one of them.

Why does your role think I'm scum?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

This is all very confusing.

What I can do, at least, is clarify Quid's confusion. I told people not to send me fuel today because I just foraged one myself. Yesterday, I did not forage, but was able to send out a bomb because someone sent me fuel. I was not told who it was that sent it to me, but merk did forage on D2, so there's no inconsistency in him claiming that he was the one who gave me fuel (except that he thought I might be an SK... but the fuel came to me later in the day IIRC so he may have rethought that hypothesis).

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

The most likely-seeming scenario to me is that merk's right and DGK is perhaps a third party Lyncher for John Connor (or something similar) and that merk is basically a decoy.

Even if that theory isn't quite right, it seems like there's some kind of third party subplot going on, in which case I'm inclined to leave it for the time being and continue hunting Scum. I'd happily lynch either CapnAndy or Token Female today.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
A Cop role that gets an improper 'scum' result on five players in the game seems like a pretty dumb Cop role. If you knew that's how your role worked, why would you immediately claim that I'm scum? That role, as claimed and assuming that all five of the dudes are town, literally would get a scum read on probably half the game.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This entire thing confuses and enrages me and I just wanna lynch Tokes instead

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

merk posted:

A Cop role that gets an improper 'scum' result on five players in the game seems like a pretty dumb Cop role. If you knew that's how your role worked, why would you immediately claim that I'm scum? That role, as claimed and assuming that all five of the dudes are town, literally would get a scum read on probably half the game.

That's why I think he's some kind of third party.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Yesterday you wanted to auto-lynch QPQ to "test" the voice. Today you want to just ignore the weird role/mechanic-related info?

##vote CapnAndy

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

xopods posted:

Yesterday you wanted to auto-lynch QPQ to "test" the voice. Today you want to just ignore the weird role/mechanic-related info?

##vote CapnAndy
Yes! I learn from my mistakes!

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

merk posted:

I don't know that I get an improper scum result. It's possible I'm not sane, since you're one of the 5 players.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I don't really think CapnAndy is town because it feels like he's just trying to see what sticks.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Yes! I learn from my mistakes!

You're one of the most veteran players there is. You're hardly at the stage of your Mafia development that you're learning about how advisable or not it is to lynch people to test various mechanics.

I don't think you really believed it was a good idea to lynch QPQ yesterday and I don't think you've really had a change of heart. I think that you're trying to predict which way the wind will blow each game day and preemptively go with the flow so that you avoid having to take individual responsibility for anything. Yesterday you figured lynching QPQ would be a popular choice. Today you figure people will get on your case if you push for another setup-testing lynch and that I'm likely to try again to get people to lynch someone like Tokes, so you decide to beat me to it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Lynching QPQ was bad yesterday. People decided to completely ignore good case work saying that he was likely Town.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I was being somewhat glib.

Yesterday was a very cut-and-dry case: Either the voice was telling us the truth, or not. That's easily checked. Plus, I had no better ideas.

Today is different. DGK cop claims and says merk is scum, merk says "no I'm not", DGK immediately backs off going "oh okay, my bad then!" like haha, guess I can't trust my role at all, oh well, then merk makes a flavor claim, and DGK immediately says that confirms him as town, and oh yeah, he can actually confirm up to five people as town purely on flavor reasons, not based on any game mechanic, just y'know, stuff from his role PM. (The possibility that the scum would be given one or more of these roles to fakeclaim is not addressed because _______) Oh and this whole thing is dependent on fuel, somehow.

It's loving confusing, and quite frankly I don't believe a word of it on either end at this point. Here's what I know:
  • Tokes is lurking like it's the final round of the Olympic All-Lurking Lurk-Off and she's going for the gold
  • Tokes is as much a veteran as I am
  • She's also a way better player
  • Lurking is scummy in general
  • This town is flailing around hilariously and has no goddamn idea what's going on, even with a scumflip to give us clues
  • This is a state of affairs that benefits scum
  • Tokes is making zero effort to help the town out even though it badly needs it
  • Therefore, Tokes is happy with the current state of affairs
  • QED, Tokes is scum
I can understand that. It's solid. The silly poo poo will be here tomorrow.

Also, thank you for your nice compliment, but just because I've been doing this for forever and have a gambit named after me and everything doesn't me infallible, nor does it mean that I'm going to follow the Conventional Wisdom on How Town Plays or whatever. I hate the Conventional Wisdom. I got run out of mafia in general for literally years after a game where people were so exceedingly cruel to me on a personal level that I'm honestly still mad about it because I wasn't beep-booping along like a good little drone.

Basically imma be me and I'm gonna remember that this is a game and I will try not to effortpost like this again, because... game. Fun. I'm having fun and I'm allowed to try more than one thing to win, show me where it says I can't.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
How is Juanito alive?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

merk posted:

How is Juanito alive?
He's posted 12 more times than Tokes

juuuuust sayin'

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

CapnAndy posted:

He's posted 12 more times than Tokes

juuuuust sayin'

tearshed has 8 posts. What does that do to your postcount case?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
It's not how many times you post; it's what you post. Juanito has not really done any scum hunting. He's not even scum hunting now, but he immediately shows up when his name is mentioned.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

merk posted:

It's not how many times you post; it's what you post. Juanito has not really done any scum hunting. He's not even scum hunting now, but he immediately shows up when his name is mentioned.

I posted less than an hour before you mentioned me. I'm not too excited about this game but at least I don't post about unbookmarking the thread ASAP. :qq:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Juanito posted:

I posted less than an hour before you mentioned me. I'm not too excited about this game but at least I don't post about unbookmarking the thread ASAP. :qq:

Do you ever plan to scum hunt?

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

CapnAndy posted:

Tokes, you're better than this. You are lurking beyond all measure, you are not making cases, you are not participating at all. And you're doing it while we're all flailing around and completely failing to identify scum at all. It's almost like that's a state of affairs you approve of and you're just happy to sit back and let it happen. I call you scum, madam.

I've been busy, and have not been able to get to the thread as often as I would like. However, when I am able to post I do try to put effort in it. So rather more quality since it's harder for me to produce quantity.

I know you try to through the me being a 'veteran' and a good player as a reason for me being scum since I'm not posting the same amount as others. That's a weak reason. If I'm such a good player, then why would I need to lurk if I was scum? My number of posts has nothing to do with my alignment. I am just busy. If you want to call me scum for the content of my posts, or lack of content, or whatever, that would be valid. This just looks like you have no idea of what to do.

Speaking of you having no idea what to do:

CapnAndy posted:

This town is flailing around hilariously and has no goddamn idea what's going on, even with a scumflip to give us clues

-Why aren't you pursuing potential leads from MG other than on QPQ?
-Why aren't you looking in to the odd claim from DSK2000? Well I guess you did here:

CapnAndy posted:

"Guys let's not pay attention to roles/results that people are claiming, it's just too confusing!"
Also

CapnAndy posted:

Kilran posted:

A short packet, high powered burst transmission is received across the network;

QuoProQuid is Not Town
This is hugely worth testing IMO

## vote qpq
Why would you think that a voice that comes in on night 1 would be an informed town voice? This is a serious question. What role does that?

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

merk posted:

You guys should check out my case on Juanito again.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664859&userid=113583#post435301577

##vote Juanito

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...
My short list:
-Juanito (see above)
-Tearshed: I don't like how he hasn't really posted anything of value, and swooped in around the deadline to not return.
-Andy: His cases are lazy (listen to the voice, let's look at post count numbers). He's choosing to ignore claimed information in the thread.
-Bowmore: I've posted stuff before, but since then he hasn't done much scumhunting. Am I the only one who finds him to be scummy?

As for the DGK2000/merk thing. I think merk's reaction seems townie. There being so many roles that give false positives doesn't make sense. There have to be some significant things about this role that he's not saying. It doesn't add up with how it's been presented.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
You guys should see my response to Token's case on me again.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664859&pagenumber=20&perpage=40#post435321005

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

That was a lot of words spent OMGUSing CapnAndy only to vote Juanito.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I also responded to Token's "case" against me. She never posted again regarding it. Because it's terribly weak.

• Locked thread