Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

bobkatt013 posted:

Jack Kirby was on the Kirby dots.

Is "Kirby Dots" trademarked, because if not, I'm about to fly out to the nearest con and make a goddamn fortune selling repackaged skittles.

Even better. Some unholy amalgam of skittles and pop rocks. I mean really, edible Kirby Dots should be something that pops and crackles and fizzles and should come in bright primary colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's Kirby Krackle. It's Ditko Dots when it's misattributed to Steve Ditko.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Only heard them referred to as Kirby Dots, chief. Rolls off the tongue better too, not all alliteration is catchy.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Is there a Batman arc where some shady businessman establishes 24/7 daylight in Gotham? I think it might have had something to do with crystals.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Only heard them referred to as Kirby Dots, chief. Rolls off the tongue better too, not all alliteration is catchy.

Heard both, but Krackle is so prevalent that there's a band by that name:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Inkspot posted:

Is there a Batman arc where some shady businessman establishes 24/7 daylight in Gotham? I think it might have had something to do with crystals.

Are you mixing up Batman with Dr Dinosaur?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inkspot posted:

Doesn't sound familiar but there's been at least one Donald Duck story like that. (Well, Duckburg, not Gotham.)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kirby Krackle is definitely the preferred nomenclature.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Gaz-L posted:

Are you mixing up Batman with Dr Dinosaur?

I think the idea was that all these newly-installed lights absorbed sunlight during the day and then emitted it at night to keep Gotham perpetually bright and, theoretically, lead to less crime. Dr. Dinosaur's obsession with crystals is what made me hesitant to include that detail, especially since the whole thing might be some kind of fever dream, but I'm almost entirely certain it's real.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Doesn't sound familiar but there's been at least one Donald Duck story like that. (Well, Duckburg, not Gotham.)

Go on, ...

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

Kirby Krackle is definitely the preferred nomenclature.

Preferred by bad indie bands, maybe.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

You'd think some enterprising villain would set that up in St. Canard, not in Duckburg.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Preferred by bad indie bands, maybe.

I like it because the oldest Kirby panel that can really be said to use the technique actually describes the energy as crackling.

Blue Bolt #5, 1940

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I remember reading a series for the original New Universe called Justice. It was about a guy who was an alien cop who somehow (?) incarnated in a human form. He had these powers where he could yell "shield!" and a shield would form on his hand, and if he wanted to wreck fools he could shout "sword!" and he'd have some kind of energy attack. Both of them were really square and Simonson-esque. From what I recall he was rooting out shape-shifting aliens (dire wraiths?) and all the attendant confusion and persecution that entails. If I recall correctly he was then retconned into something else completely by the end of the series. Anyway, long explanation, but was it ever collected anywhere? I kind of want to see if I remember it like it was originally presented.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

I remember reading a series for the original New Universe called Justice. It was about a guy who was an alien cop who somehow (?) incarnated in a human form. He had these powers where he could yell "shield!" and a shield would form on his hand, and if he wanted to wreck fools he could shout "sword!" and he'd have some kind of energy attack. Both of them were really square and Simonson-esque. From what I recall he was rooting out shape-shifting aliens (dire wraiths?) and all the attendant confusion and persecution that entails. If I recall correctly he was then retconned into something else completely by the end of the series. Anyway, long explanation, but was it ever collected anywhere? I kind of want to see if I remember it like it was originally presented.

Never collected, but when the New Universe imploded after a year, they dumped the book onto this jerk from the sales department who kept begging for the chance to write a book. I think you'd be a bit surprised at what he did with it.

The jerk being Peter David and he essentially Anatomy Lesson-ed Justice to say he was just suffering under a delusion.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Inkspot posted:

I think the idea was that all these newly-installed lights absorbed sunlight during the day and then emitted it at night to keep Gotham perpetually bright and, theoretically, lead to less crime. Dr. Dinosaur's obsession with crystals is what made me hesitant to include that detail, especially since the whole thing might be some kind of fever dream, but I'm almost entirely certain it's real.

'Tis no fever dream, it was real. It was called Batman: City of Light.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_City_of_Light

It's got some pretty bad artwork* and Batman has a mental breakdown after a kid gets hurt while he's stopping crime, so there is litterally one issue that ends with Batman looking at his hands, crying and asking "what's happening to me."

About the only reason why I read thte story is because Cassandra Caine is featured prominently in it, and I'm a huge CC mark. Crispus Allen and Montoya are in it too.

Now the Batman: City of Crime arc, that's a great storyline.

*= Seriously check out the covers to the series, they are hilariously bad. I particularly love issue 6, which features Batman vomiting explosions.
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_City_of_Light_Vol_1_6

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inkspot posted:

Go on, ...

Well that's about it, I can't remember if it used the "Scrooge's scheme ruins everything and he gets his comeuppance and takes it out on Donald/Gyro/whoever gave him the idea" or the "Scrooge's scheme ruins everything but then he redeems himself (monetarily) by implementing it in Foreigncountrystan" template. It's an Italian story and I just put all of the 200 or so books in storage so I don't think I'll be digging it up, sorry.

Dr. Hurt posted:

You'd think some enterprising villain would set that up in St. Canard, not in Duckburg.

When you think about it Scrooge is a villain.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Random Stranger posted:

Never collected, but when the New Universe imploded after a year, they dumped the book onto this jerk from the sales department who kept begging for the chance to write a book. I think you'd be a bit surprised at what he did with it.

The jerk being Peter David and he essentially Anatomy Lesson-ed Justice to say he was just suffering under a delusion.

The idea was that there weren't any extra-dimensional alien types in the New Universe, because it was intended to be "real world plus White Event" and nothing else. So the retcon was actually bringing the story into line with the original plan. :shrug:

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Is White Event a generic term for when stuff like this happens in comic books?

Rising Stars was also a "real world" plus a cosmic event that created superheroes. And I swear I've read another indie comic in the same vein.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

lifg posted:

Is White Event a generic term for when stuff like this happens in comic books?

Rising Stars was also a "real world" plus a cosmic event that created superheroes. And I swear I've read another indie comic in the same vein.

I've only heard of it in relation to the New Universe. Did the Rising Stars event have a formal name? (I read the first two trades of Rising Stars (had to quit, because it was getting depressing), but I don't remember the details.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

White Events are also in Hickman's Avengers, but that's a direct reference.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

White Events are also in Hickman's Avengers, but that's a direct reference.

What, like Frasier fan conventions?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Well, there's precedent

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Opopanax posted:

Well, there's precedent

I'm chomping at the bit for the obligatory Willie Lumpkin/Cliff Clavin fight scene.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Gavok posted:

I'm chomping at the bit for the obligatory Willie Lumpkin/Cliff Clavin fight scene.

The Ever-Lovin' Blue-Eyed Bulldog

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

"Well, y'see, it's a little known fact that the sound we associate with the letter 'S' doesn't exist in Latverian..."

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Gavok posted:

This would only be made better by Norm and Ben just sitting at the end of the bar watching the fight, while Reed Richard's stands there stumped by Norm's bar tab.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

This would only be made better by Norm and Ben just sitting at the end of the bar watching the fight, while Reed Richard's stands there stumped by Norm's bar tab.

Or stumped by Diane's pretentiousness.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

Afterwards, Dr. Doom and Lilith announce their engagement.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Gavok posted:

Afterwards, Dr. Doom and Lilith announce their engagement.

You've made me realize how much I want a Kelsey Grammar Dr. Doom sitcom.

Lilith: Brian is a seismologist at MIT.
Doom: Doom believes that is perfect; Brian, being a seismologist, and you, having so many faults.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Only if Niles is played by a Doombot programmed to act like 3-CPO.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Inkspot posted:

Only if Niles is played by a Doombot programmed to act like 3-CPO.

Isn't that what we already got?

By the way, if I had a daughter, my greatest hope for her would be that she married a KC Royal. 6/10

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Isn't that what we already got?

By the way, if I had a daughter, my greatest hope for her would be that she married a KC Royal. 6/10

What is she a druish princess?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

What is she a druish princess?

I lost a bet about a sports game.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Anyone know what Rafael Grampá is up to? I've only read Mesmo Delivery years ago and he short Wolverine story in Strange Tales. I've seen covers from him every once in a while, but want to read a full story sometime!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I think he did a vodka commercial a while back.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
He also did this that popped up after I asked!
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10...-entertainment/

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I'm sure this has been addressed so what was the Green Lantern who was responsible for Krypton's deal? You would think that letting a planet not blow up would have been on the Green Lantern's to do list.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Madkal posted:

I'm sure this has been addressed so what was the Green Lantern who was responsible for Krypton's deal? You would think that letting a planet not blow up would have been on the Green Lantern's to do list.

He was busy. I think Superman forgave him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

He was busy. I think Superman forgave him.

Think of all the terrible performance reviews Hal Jordan must have gotten: he has a whole sector of space to watch out for and spends 90% of his time busting bank robbers on this one planet while there are hundreds of others probably getting burned up by supernovas and frozen by ice ages every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Madkal posted:

It was Tomar Re, the orange dude with the beak.