Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Yeah seems like they did everywhere.

@LauncherIOS
Apple has taken Launcher off of the App Store. We tried to avoid this, but Apple decided to disallow widgets with our functionality.

Well that bites.

Why does apple care how we want to use the widgets? Theres a bunch of apps that mimic this capability. So stupid how they just choose to disallow something people were getting functionality out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nask26 posted:

Why does apple care how we want to use the widgets? Theres a bunch of apps that mimic this capability. So stupid how they just choose to disallow something people were getting functionality out of.

Are you new to Apple products?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Nask26 posted:

Presumably, they're concerned that apps like that will find a way to bypass the lockscreen in some way.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

So, HAS anyone been able to get My Fitness Pal to work with Health Kit?

I've been trying since last night. Updated, uninstall then reinstall, restarted phone = still not working. I've done everything except wipe and restore, and honestly it's just not worth it for a calorie tracking app.

It's working for me now, it's just a few hours behind.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

MFP isn't doing jack poo poo for my Health app and I'm starting to wonder if MFP is even worth bothering with anyway. I have a food scale at home but it measures in ounces and grams. MFP only allows for random loving increments of like half teaspoons or Costco sized variety packs. I ate a banana this morning, typed "banana" and the first result was not a banana, it was like mashed up banana purée or something. Wut?

Also, I'm reluctant to add that I'm an organ donor to my Medical ID in the Health app in case emergency responders find me in critical condition and decide to let me die so they can save another Steve Jobs or something.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

ShoogaSlim posted:

Also, I'm reluctant to add that I'm an organ donor to my Medical ID in the Health app in case emergency responders find me in critical condition and decide to let me die so they can save another Steve Jobs or something.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/emergent/donor.asp

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What's the status with HomeKit? Did it make it into iOS8, or is it another thing that ended up pulled?

And if it did make it in, is it just a matter of waiting for devs to add support for it in their apps? Are there any apps that support it yet?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

OldSenileGuy posted:

What's the status with HomeKit? Did it make it into iOS8, or is it another thing that ended up pulled?

And if it did make it in, is it just a matter of waiting for devs to add support for it in their apps? Are there any apps that support it yet?

Looks like it's in there, just not really any hardware for it yet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

MFP isn't doing jack poo poo for my Health app and I'm starting to wonder if MFP is even worth bothering with anyway. I have a food scale at home but it measures in ounces and grams. MFP only allows for random loving increments of like half teaspoons or Costco sized variety packs. I ate a banana this morning, typed "banana" and the first result was not a banana, it was like mashed up banana purée or something. Wut?

I don't know what you mean, you can just click serving size and most foods can be set to 1g or 100g or the serving size with the weight in brackets. If it's 1g you just give yourself 20 servings or whatever your scale says. Use the USDA entries for fruit and scan anything with a barcode.

It really doesn't matter which vendor or brand you use, the value of a food tracking app is consistency. Just measure the same foods the same way all the time and keep an eye on the mirror and scale and adjust your intake accordingly.

This is how I would do it for a banana.

Click the first entry, the serving size is 1 cup of mashed, which is dumb.

Change that to the 1g or 100g serving sizes at the bottom of the serving size drop-down and change the number of servings to make it work. Just weigh one banana and use that as a baseline if you're lazy. You don't have to do this every time because MFP remembers what you recently ate for your meals, so tomorrow you can just check off the banana and go.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is 1 cup mashed because that is the best way to measure bananas by volume.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

slogsdon posted:

Looks like it's in there, just not really any hardware for it yet.

It should be compatible with some existing hardware, like Philips Hue or Belkin WeMo, straight away, right? Isn't it just a matter of people creating apps that use HomeKit?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

It took MFP over 24 hours to check in with Health Kit. No historical data, though. The only data points I have are from today.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Is there any reason why safari > chrome on iPhone 6/6+? I remember back a few years ago safari was faster, or something. Anything like that?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

rear end Catchcum posted:

Is there any reason why safari > chrome on iPhone 6/6+? I remember back a few years ago safari was faster, or something. Anything like that?

Previously only Safari was allowed to use the fast version of Apple's javascript engine. Browser windows in other apps had to use a crippled version of the JS engine, supposedly for security reasons. iOS8 was supposed to have opened that up to everything though, so Chrome should be able to do JS as fast as Safari whenever google gets around to updating the app for that.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Are notifications completely broken in Hangouts in iOS 8? It worked once, but the badge stuck on the icon. I had to completely reinstall to get rid of the phantom badge. But now I get no notifications.

Notifications are on in Settings, and I do have a group conversation muted, but I should be getting notifications for other conversations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

rear end Catchcum posted:

On MacBooks it's much better for your battery than any other browser, but I don't know if that's also true for mobile safari.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I never used Launcher because it struck me as a totally lovely App that would just collect data on Apps people invoked, like where they traveled or called etc. It doesn't surprise me at all that Apple told them to gently caress off.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 29, 2014

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

tuyop posted:

banana chat

So the first result defaults to "mashed" as a serving option but in the serving size drop down there are other units of measure to choose from. That's great but that doesn't seem to usually be the case. Most of the time I select an item there's only one serving size option.

Anyway, so this banana menu item allows you to select 1 cup mashed, 1 cup sliced, various sizes (s-xl based on length), then 1 "serving" (wtf is that?) or 100 g. What about 1g? If I theoretically had a banana less than 100g, or if I ate half of a banana or something how would I measure that? Select it then divide or whatever? That's really loving lovely functionality for a simple app designed to help people easily track calories and lose weight. I am, admittedly, notoriously bad at simple math. It's not impossible to figure out but it's not simple like it should be and I know that there are people using the app that must be way dumber than me.

That said, even though this is the app thread I feel like this is a derail so there's no need to continue discussing it. I think it's a lovely app.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

So the first result defaults to "mashed" as a serving option but in the serving size drop down there are other units of measure to choose from. That's great but that doesn't seem to usually be the case. Most of the time I select an item there's only one serving size option.

Anyway, so this banana menu item allows you to select 1 cup mashed, 1 cup sliced, various sizes (s-xl based on length), then 1 "serving" (wtf is that?) or 100 g. What about 1g? If I theoretically had a banana less than 100g, or if I ate half of a banana or something how would I measure that? Select it then divide or whatever? That's really loving lovely functionality for a simple app designed to help people easily track calories and lose weight. I am, admittedly, notoriously bad at simple math. It's not impossible to figure out but it's not simple like it should be and I know that there are people using the app that must be way dumber than me.

That said, even though this is the app thread I feel like this is a derail so there's no need to continue discussing it. I think it's a lovely app.

5g of banana = .05 of 100g of banana. Hope this helps. Switch the fraction wheel thing to decimals.

If you scan an item, and it only has "one serving" just weigh the food, look at the box, which on every box I've seen lists the serving size by weight or volume (which I just estimate as 1g/ml) and do some simple math (if a serving is 45g and you eat 120g then just record it as 3 servings to round down). You can use Siri to do the calculation for you if you need some math help.

You can also edit the item to include a gram measure.

I'm not sure how good the other apps are but MFP is pretty much the gold standard among them, so shop around and good luck with your weight loss. You can ask in the general fitness thread in YLLS if you want more help.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Every calorie-tracking app has that same problem. The food databases that they use aren't put together very consistently. The trick is to stop :spergin: and realize that it doesn't matter whether you just ate 1 cup or 150g of banana. The uncertainty on the numbers in those food databases is at least that as much as that, if not more.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, that's the theory behind weight watchers points. That calories are too fine a thing to track, so create another unit that is much easier to remember and not obsess over.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

tuyop posted:

You can also edit the item to include a gram measure.

How?

And yes I used Siri earlier to convert ounces to grams for me :3:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I never used Launcher because it struck me as a totally lovely App that would just collect data on Apps people invoked, like where they traveled or called etc. It doesn't surprise me at all that Apple told them to gently caress off.

Nah it's essentially just Launch Center Pro on your notification shade. It's nothing new at all these kinds of apps have been around for years. Apple removed it because they don't want this type of functionality on a widget.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

How?

And yes I used Siri earlier to convert ounces to grams for me :3:

Sorry, scroll to the bottom of the result list and add a new food. You might find it handy to just do this once for each of your regular foods and divide their calorie content by grams in a serving to get cals/gram and just work with that.

That's pretty much only one level above using a spreadsheet, though. Which is a thing you could also do.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

the kawaiiest posted:

Nah it's essentially just Launch Center Pro on your notification shade. It's nothing new at all these kinds of apps have been around for years. Apple removed it because they don't want this type of functionality on a widget.

It's basically something that people have been suspicious of for years on Android yes. It is basically that something that deserves suspicion.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It's basically something that people have been suspicious of for years on Android yes. It is basically that something that deserves suspicion.

.. no. No it isn't. It's just using x-callback-url to open stuff.

Also who said anything about Android? Launch Center Pro is an iOS app.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

tuyop posted:

Sorry, scroll to the bottom of the result list and add a new food. You might find it handy to just do this once for each of your regular foods and divide their calorie content by grams in a serving to get cals/gram and just work with that.

That's pretty much only one level above using a spreadsheet, though. Which is a thing you could also do.

Then I need to know the macros for the food I'm trying to input. Not everything you eat comes out of a box. I'm not trying to be combative but My Fitness Pal seems like it's supposed to be a fool proof, easy to understand and use type of app. If I eat a banana and want to log it I expect it to be as easy as typing banana, selecting it, and going on with my life. I think I'm actually ahead of the curve for having a food scale but the app seems to be condemning me for wanting to use precise calculation (I know about decimal/fraction inputs). The average user who doesn't have a food scale or ruler handy to measure the length of their banana is going to have an even harder time. Next time I eat a banana I'm going to mash it up and put it in my measuring cup to make it easier to log on MFP.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Go to YLLS and read the thread about overthinking it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I used to post on YLLS all the time a few years back but now I'm older, lazier, and fatter. I know the importance of not overthinking but even if I want to get a base estimation of my calorie consumption (something I know I need to be better about) the app makes it difficult and does what every developer should hope to avoid - making me not want to use it at all. That's it. I'm sorry for the continued derail.

e: actually no - I have a legitimate app functionality complaint. That big PLUS sign at the bottom center of the app seems like the obvious "click here to add stuff" button. However, if I have something logged and I hit that to add food, select which meal it was part of (breakfast, snack, etc) and add food, it removes everything else I already had logged... what? That's loving stupid.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 29, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

I used to post on YLLS all the time a few years back but now I'm older, lazier, and fatter. I know the importance of not overthinking but even if I want to get a base estimation of my calorie consumption (something I know I need to be better about) the app makes it difficult and does what every developer should hope to avoid - making me not want to use it at all. That's it. I'm sorry for the continued derail.

e: actually no - I have a legitimate app functionality complaint. That big PLUS sign at the bottom center of the app seems like the obvious "click here to add stuff" button. However, if I have something logged and I hit that to add food, select which meal it was part of (breakfast, snack, etc) and add food, it removes everything else I already had logged... what? That's loving stupid.

Like I said, try out some other apps. That logging behaviour is not at all what happens on my phone, it just adds what I want to the meal I select.

I've been using MFP daily for years now, my latest streak was like 160 days. It consumes about an extra three minutes per day to accurately log poo poo. I have no idea what's going on in your case but it doesn't sound like the app for you.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Having the pcalc widget to pull down and quickly calculate my serving amounts has increased my sperging to the next level. Since (in canada) everything is in grams, I just set my scale to grams, pull down the notification menu, what I measured, enter, serving size, divide (because true spergs rock the RPN), enter result.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

So MyPlate's website is dog poo poo and the app costs a buck. I wouldn't mind paying for a service that was easy and functional but if the web interface sucks why should I trust the app not to?

Fitday's site isn't so bad but the app is disgusting.

Looks like I'm sticking it out with MFP.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I find the obsession with weather apps confounding, especially since I suffer from it myself. I always used the Weather Channel app because it had radar and shared the same priority for information I have, but some time ago they changed it so the "home" screen displayed the temperature and not much else.

Since iOS 8, I've switched to the Yahoo app, but I'm still annoyed it doesn't have predictive radar.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 29, 2014

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

Having the pcalc widget to pull down

Man, that may be my new #1 displeasure with iOS8. I didn't even know pcalc had a widget till I checked after reading this. With automatic app update I keep missing features being added unless I check what widgets I can add daily.

Now if only one-bus away would add a widget...

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Hughlander posted:

Man, that may be my new #1 displeasure with iOS8. I didn't even know pcalc had a widget till I checked after reading this. With automatic app update I keep missing features being added unless I check what widgets I can add daily.

Now if only one-bus away would add a widget...

I turned automatic update off... right? I guess there might be some automatic updates allowed that we don't see update messages for?

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 29, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Weather Underground lovers (who are not so pleased with the big weird graph widget.)

I messaged WU via facebook and told them I was a big fan of their app but wasn't so thrilled with the big dumb chart but a thin, nice row of icons showing either the next couple of days of weather, or a listing of the weather by hour the same way (or both!) would be the best. They replied:

Dear Feenix,
Thanks for your feedback! We'll forward it along to our product teams for review. Thanks for supporting WU!!

Which isn't exactly anything other than a standard courteous reply, but hopefully someone is listening. It only takes a second to send a similar request if you care about that! :)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's like every weather widget I've used has to have some feature that makes it awful. Yahoo: ugly backgrounds, Weather Channel: video link, WU: giant chart.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Dave posted:

It's like every weather widget I've used has to have some feature that makes it awful. Yahoo: ugly backgrounds, Weather Channel: video link, WU: giant chart.

Tried mobile.weather.gov?

I rather like it. Kind of boned if you really want it on the notifications screen though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

xzzy posted:

Tried mobile.weather.gov?

I rather like it. Kind of boned if you really want it on the notifications screen though.

I was talking about iOS8 notification center widgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Photo editing all across the board is being a real pain in the dick for me right now.

I went to the beach earlier and took a panoramic photo. Trying to crop and adjust the orientation then transfer to VSCO results in just the original file being loaded. I had to email myself the edited photo from the Photos app then download it with Google Drive and then save it back to my phone again for changes to take effect. Then VSCO quits every time I try saving the further edited photo back into my Photos. Fine, so I'll just use the new iOS 8 photo editing tools, which are actually pleasantly robust. Ok so I go to give it a border in Squaready (from within the Photos app still since that's a feature now) and it's been sitting at the spinning loading wheel the entire time I've been typing this post.

This sucks.

• Locked thread