Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Agean90 posted:

Chester had a bitchin theme song, he's a good character in my book.

Chester was playable in that Ys vs TitS fighting game and he's hell of a lot of fun. Midair loops all day erry day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Just finished Felghana too! And man, Dogi is great.

Literally giving Adol the Minor Bracelet of Wall-crushing...

Wearing light clothing on a snowy mountain only to get stabbed by Chester...

"Aw come on, Mams, why you gotta bust my walls like that?" :allears:

Also, the last Redmont town track rocks out hard. E: think the track title is "Believe in my Heart" I enjoyed playing Extreme Pong with Galbalan as well.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 29, 2014

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Well, I just finished Ys Origin because toddy's LP reminded me that I own the game.

It answered a bunch of questions, even ones that needed no answer yet one, the most important one, left unanswered:
Who the hell is Dark Fact?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Does Trails have New Game+? Is there anything you could miss on a first play, and still not be able to get in a second play?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yes, there's a new game+, and you would be able to get everything in it regardless of your first playthrough (I think that's what you're asking).

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Does Trails have New Game+? Is there anything you could miss on a first play, and still not be able to get in a second play?

It has NG+, but it's just literally going through the game again getting to choose what things (levels, money, equipment, etc.) carry over from last time. There's harder difficulties, too. If you're going for 100%, I believe there's a point in the game where you have to choose to either get a full Monster Guide or max BP. Getting one precludes getting the other (or at least the guide I followed said so). If you really want 100%, this doesn't matter though, because you can get the one you didn't get before on the second playthrough. There's also a point where you can choose between two rewards for collecting all the Carnelia chapters, but again, you can collect the other on a second playthrough. That's about it, I think. Nothing you can only get on a first playthrough, so far as I know.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bholder posted:

It answered a bunch of questions, even ones that needed no answer yet one, the most important one, left unanswered:
Who the hell is Dark Fact?
One of Hugo's descendants, I think.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Nate RFB posted:

One of Hugo's descendants, I think.

That's the theory, anyway. Something to do with Dark being Sieg Fact's grand/son or something that was painted over in the Ys IV remake to no longer make sense.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

toddy. posted:

That's the theory, anyway. Something to do with Dark being Sieg Fact's grand/son or something that was painted over in the Ys IV remake to no longer make sense.

Ys IV/Celceta is such a strange game in where it opens up a plethora of plotholes in the game, most notably the infamous Galballan plothole.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Ys has a plot? I'm pretty sure it's just a solid action RPG with rad music.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Slur posted:

Ys IV/Celceta is such a strange game in where it opens up a plethora of plotholes in the game, most notably the infamous Galballan plothole.

What's the Galballan plothole?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

What's the Galballan plothole?

Ys IV takes place before Ys III. Adol should not only know by the time he reaches Felghana how to kill a Galballan, but he should have an anti-Galballan sword at hand. He has neither the knowledge or the sword in question.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

For some reason I thought Celceta took place after 3. Then yeah, that's really pretty stupid.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Let's talk about how Ernst's mouth singlehandedly made the series KH levels of convoluted and silly.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 30, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Galbalan makes sense to appear in 6 though. Eldeel is one of the last of the Eldeen, whose people built the weather device and the ancient underground ruins on the Canaan islands. You can see a whole bunch of Galbalans in tanks in one of the hallways of the ruins, and find some of their armor in one of the sunken areas too. So it's pretty safe to assume the white winged gods created them to begin with. Which also explains how one ended up in Celceta (Eldeel tought them how to make one IIRC).

The one in Felghana was just one that got loose and decided to be a dick until someone sealed it away.

I'm just going to assume Adol fell off a boat at some point between Celceta and Felghana and lost part of his memory and his entire inventory. Again.

Edit: And you edited your post anyway so now this looks silly. :I

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Slur posted:

Ys IV takes place before Ys III. Adol should not only know by the time he reaches Felghana how to kill a Galballan, but he should have an anti-Galballan sword at hand. He has neither the knowledge or the sword in question.
It's not like Adol retains any equipment in between games ("convenient" shipwrecks abound) and it wouldn't be a surprise if he forgot about it. Galbalan in III is like more sentient than usual or whatever as well so it was "special" compared to whatever it was Leeza was riding in Celceta.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Edit: And you edited your post anyway so now this looks silly. :I

Whoops! Yeah I keep forgetting Ys IV still happens before Oath/III so I omitted that part entirely.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
How good is Ark of Napishtim for PSP? Apparently it's got the same engine as Origin/Oath but I don't see it talked about as much at all. I don't have the means to play the newer ones and the older ones appeal to me less.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

How good is Ark of Napishtim for PSP? Apparently it's got the same engine as Origin/Oath but I don't see it talked about as much at all. I don't have the means to play the newer ones and the older ones appeal to me less.

Probably because if you're going to play it, you have to have it installed on a stick with custom firmware, because it has the worst load times of any game on the system, and may be one of the worst load times of any game (at least of any I've played).

As far as the game itself I believe the only difference is that it uses the original 2D character models instead of the 3D ones made for the PS2 release.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paperhouse posted:

It's apparently a real lovely port. Realistically your only option is to play it on the PS2 or hunt down an English patch for the elusive PC version.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

smenj posted:

It has NG+, but it's just literally going through the game again getting to choose what things (levels, money, equipment, etc.) carry over from last time. There's harder difficulties, too. If you're going for 100%, I believe there's a point in the game where you have to choose to either get a full Monster Guide or max BP. Getting one precludes getting the other (or at least the guide I followed said so). If you really want 100%, this doesn't matter though, because you can get the one you didn't get before on the second playthrough. There's also a point where you can choose between two rewards for collecting all the Carnelia chapters, but again, you can collect the other on a second playthrough. That's about it, I think. Nothing you can only get on a first playthrough, so far as I know.

The monster guide isn't even in yet. There is a bonus (in Second Chapter) for a max BP clear save, but nothing for a maxed Monster Guide as far as I know.

Hard difficulty is a definite challenge - all enemies get a 20% boost to all stats, and you will definitely notice it, especially towards the end, when enemies are faster and have higher damage reduction.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

It's my favorite Ys game but the PSP version's awful. Hunt down the excellent pc version, it has a full English patch.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Volt Catfish posted:

Hunt down the excellent pc version, it has a full English patch.

This can be rather complicated if you get a PC version pre-XP re-release. Make sure you check the version if you're buying off eBay or Amazon.

The reason I say this is that the English patch iirc only works on non-1.0.0 releases of the game. Later releases added difficulties and boss rush to match console releases. As such the patch is unreliable on the original release/collector's edition of the game. There is a fan-patch that adds these as well but it's very hard to track down.

Ys VI was kind of a mess.

Then again, so was Nightwolve (the patch maker) but let's not get into that.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah Ys6 is in most desperate need of a cleaned up Steam release right about now. It's also one of my favorites despite being really rough around the edges in places.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah Ys6 is in most desperate need of a cleaned up Steam release right about now. It's also one of my favorites despite being really rough around the edges in places.

I was really liking all of the worldbuilding and dungeon design in Ys 6, it was probably approaching being nearly perfect for me. Then Limewater Cave happened which might be one of the worst dungeons in any Ys game :v:

At least they said after Trails(?) they're lookin' to get Napishtim on Steam too.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I know exactly what you mean about that loving cave. Every single time I play that game, it drags to a massive halt right around there. And as I recall, your reward for finishing it is that you get to meet Terra again. :saddowns:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I had plenty of fun with the PS2 version of Ys VI. You just have to make sure you've enabled PC Mode. I'd gladly replay the PC version on Steam, though.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I finally managed to beat Ys 1 in Nightmare mode on the Steam version. All I can say is "eh". The regular enemies go between harmless and tearing you a new rear end in a top hat within a second and you have to grind like crazy because a single piece of equipment or a level can turn. Once I hit level 10, I equipped the Timer Ring and avoided everything, which made the game somewhat uninteresting. Most of the bosses were poo poo though; I think the only one I actually liked in Nightmare mode was Pictimos. And this is from a guy that actually likes most of Ys 1's bosses in Normal difficulty.

I found a trainer online that makes Nightmare mode a lot more fun by letting you heal whenever you want. I treated it like the healing items in Ys II's boss fights; only one use per boss fight. Vagullion and the twin heads are a lot better to fight knowing that you can heal yourself in case you botch a single hit and lose a lot of HP in a second or two. I honestly don't know why they don't let you heal normally because it makes bosses much more managable instead of awful trash.

I spammed the poo poo out of the instaheal function when fighting Dark Fact because seriously, gently caress him. Nullifying the threat the fireballs pose make Dark Fact a lot more tactical and fun because it turned into a match where you had to plan your hits carefully to avoid boxing yourself in instead of being a Benny Hill skit because of an offscreen bullet hell boss firing projectiles at you.

Stick with Normal unless you like fighting awful bosses.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, did the monster guide get added to the PC version of Tales in the Sky? Will it be if not? I remember someone mentioning that it wasn't included yet.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Munin posted:

Btw, did the monster guide get added to the PC version of Tales in the Sky? Will it be if not? I remember someone mentioning that it wasn't included yet.

It's not been added to Trails yet, which is a bit ridiculous, but somewhat understandable given the deluge of problems they had shortly after release. It's probably being held up a bit because they've got other stuff going on, like putting Corpse Party on PC. I don't imagine they'd expected it wouldn't have been ready at this point when they were planning all this stuff. Doesn't matter hugely anyway, since it's not very important to the game at all. Would be nice to see it in at some point soon, mind.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I was linked to an article about a survey done for the Kiseki series' tenth Anniversary that people may find interesting. It's generally written without spoilers for stuff past FC, but there's some things that they couldn't really get rid of so I'll just summarize the most interesting stuff here:

http://www.esterior.net/2014/10/final-results-for-the-kiseki-series-tenth-anniversary-national-survey/

Favorite Title:

1. Trails SC
2. Ao No Kiseki
3. Trails FC
4. Zero No Kiseki
5. Sen no Kiseki
6. Trails 3rd
7. Nayuta no Kiseki

Favorite Male Character:

1. Olivier Lenheim
2. Lorence Belgar(Article uses his actual name, which is one of the things i was referring to earlier)
3. Joshua Bright

Favorite Female Character:

1. Estelle Bright
2. Omitted
3. Tio Plato

The last isn't in FC, you shouldn't recognize them.

Also proud of Olivier for beating out every single male lead.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 28, 2014

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I think even mentioning Renne counts as a spoiler because (SC spoilers)she doesn't really seem like an important character when she's introduced...the game wants to make you think that something is up with her parents, but you have no reason to suspect Renne herself

vvvvv Oh the other hand, there's so much fan- and official art of her, it's really hard not to get spoiled about that.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 28, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ah really? I'll take that out then

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I saw Trails FC got an update, so I fired it up to see if it was the monster guide. Instead I think they took out the monster guide option entirely from the bracer's notebook (that is where it supposed to be, right?). Not entirely sure what to make of that, other than now you don't have to deal with seeing a message pop up if you try to access it now.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ha, I wouldn't be surprised if they just decided "gently caress it". I don't think I ever even used the monster guide.

if anyone really wanted to check they could see if they still have Schera giving you the monster guide in the prologue, since they'd probably axe that if they were giving up on it.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 8, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Nate RFB posted:

I saw Trails FC got an update, so I fired it up to see if it was the monster guide. Instead I think they took out the monster guide option entirely from the bracer's notebook (that is where it supposed to be, right?). Not entirely sure what to make of that, other than now you don't have to deal with seeing a message pop up if you try to access it now.

The monster guide was never in the Bracer Notebook, it was a separate book in the inventory. I starting a fresh game, nothing has changed with respect to the monster guide or dialogue about it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 8, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yep, you're right, I just misremembered where you could access it. You can still try to open it there and get the message about it not being available yet.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah the last couple patches appear to be bug fixes, but we haven't had patch notes for them.

Monster guide is apparently delayed by XSEED's coder Sara being shifted to Corpse Party for the time being.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Ys Origin just downloaded a 108MB update on steam. Not seeing any news about it though, anyone know what's up with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

YF-23 posted:

Ys Origin just downloaded a 108MB update on steam. Not seeing any news about it though, anyone know what's up with it?

A lack of patchnotes for pretty much every game on Steam will be the thing that drives me mad.

..well, probably not but it is kinda annoying.

• Locked thread