Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Devil Within

When you're in turmoil, you may experience a lot of things, but I doubt you sprout wings. Devil Within is an action/adventure beat 'em up contained within Tekken 5, chronicling Jin Kazama's battle with the "devil gene". While the game is a successor of sorts to Tekken 3 and 4's "Tekken Force" modes, Devil Within is quite an upgrade, and I believe it's different enough to be considered its own creation.

What kind of LP is this?

Video, post commentary. I won't be collecting all the devil symbols or showing off the extra mode, simply playing through the game on medium.

Why should I care?

Namco has had very few beat 'em ups to its name, and Devil Within is an admirable exploration into the genre. Its design and controls are entirely separate from that of its parent game, and it presents enough unique traits to be seriously considered as its own work. Keep in mind, the developers were hardly given a full-on Triple A budget, so don't expect it to blow you away.

That being said, there's some good -if basic- design here, and I think it's worth sharing.

Oh, and there's a story of sorts, but in true Tekken fashion, it's very vague.

What do you mean "action/adventure beat 'em up"?

Devil Within is mostly focused on combat mechanics. Block here, kick there, shoot lasers everywhere. It does have elements from other genres, however, and they increase in complexity as the game continues. There's a genuine attempt to mix platforming/puzzle solving and action. Though again, it's pretty simple.

So how about it? Let's purge this evil. Just don't spoil anything.

Episodes:

1. Automatons

2. Negatives

3. Gray

4. Enigma

5. Revenge

Thank you for watching!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Time to delve in deeper, where we fight yet more robots.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What is this "G" you're collecting for? Is it the parent game's "unlock stuff" currency or something?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Glazius posted:

What is this "G" you're collecting for? Is it the parent game's "unlock stuff" currency or something?

Yep, that's exactly what it's for. I try to collect enough "G" to get at least a B on the tally screen, or my shame will destroy me.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

A demon, you say? No problem, we already have one of our own.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Why do you skip around so much in the video? It ends up being a mess of identical-looking rooms with no sense of direction or continuity to tie them together. I mean, a lot of the game is a mess of identical-looking rooms, but with all the cuts I can't make heads or tails of what's going on.

(also the transitions you use look really bad)

And why do you sometimes cut in the middle of fights? If the main attraction in the game is Jin punching lots of robots and mooks, why would you cut that out?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

biosterous posted:

Why do you skip around so much in the video? It ends up being a mess of identical-looking rooms with no sense of direction or continuity to tie them together. I mean, a lot of the game is a mess of identical-looking rooms, but with all the cuts I can't make heads or tails of what's going on.

(also the transitions you use look really bad)

And why do you sometimes cut in the middle of fights? If the main attraction in the game is Jin punching lots of robots and mooks, why would you cut that out?

I understand your disorientation, and I'll see that the next videos flow better. The last two chapters have the most consistency, as well as the most interesting design, so you'll be seeing far less cutting.

I'll try to use less gaudy transitions, though I'd need a little more to go on.

Thank you for your feedback, genuinely.

MK159
Aug 26, 2008
Enjoying this so far, though yeah, the cuts are very distracting and don't look particularly good.

Do you have any plans to cover Scenario Campaign from 6? I remember that being a more ridiculous version of Tekken Force/Devil Within, it would be a fun followup.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

MK159 posted:

Enjoying this so far, though yeah, the cuts are very distracting and don't look particularly good.

Do you have any plans to cover Scenario Campaign from 6? I remember that being a more ridiculous version of Tekken Force/Devil Within, it would be a fun followup.

Noted, and future cuts will be both less visually offensive and less frequent.

I don't like to say never, but I'd need to practice a lot more before I even consider it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Thanks for cutting down on video cuts. It didn't seem like backtracking would be all that complicated in this game given the map size.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Glazius posted:

Thanks for cutting down on video cuts. It didn't seem like backtracking would be all that complicated in this game given the map size.

No problem. I got a bit over-zealous there.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Things get a bit weird as we head even deeper.

Now with less editing and more cohesive gameplay!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

This is much, much better than the previous videos! I feel like I am watching a LP, not just some random moments from a game. It's a great change, and a lot more fun to watch.

But what you said about "hopefully there's no wrong way" - c'mon dude, don't you know you're supposed to go the wrong way first in every video game? :v:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

biosterous posted:

This is much, much better than the previous videos! I feel like I am watching a LP, not just some random moments from a game. It's a great change, and a lot more fun to watch.

But what you said about "hopefully there's no wrong way" - c'mon dude, don't you know you're supposed to go the wrong way first in every video game? :v:

I'm glad I've improved it, then.

And I was just playing along with the moment

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So this is kind of like your older FPS entries, where you just get through a level blowing up god knows what and it gets explained through a transition screen?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Glazius posted:

So this is kind of like your older FPS entries, where you just get through a level blowing up god knows what and it gets explained through a transition screen?

Yes, exactly. Prepare for what just happened to be explained through a transition screen very shortly.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Devil Within is a bad game mode that I played through twice in a row to get all the free stuff. drat you, stuff.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Veib posted:

Devil Within is a bad game mode that I played through twice in a row to get all the free stuff. drat you, stuff.

It's nowhere near as polished as a complete Tekken game, but I tried to think of it more as Triple A doujin.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Good to see this LP, I've never had a Sony console so Tekken 5 passed me by, and fighting games and anything related to them are so rarely Let's Played. It doesn't look "admirable" to be honest, but it seems more competent than the Tekken Force thing from 3 and Scenario Campaign in 6.

Speaking of which:

MK159 posted:

I'll second this, but I gotta admit that showing off SC would be a nightmare if you wanted to cover all the bases (different dialogue and characters), and kinda pointless if you didn't.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

Good to see this LP, I've never had a Sony console so Tekken 5 passed me by, and fighting games and anything related to them are so rarely Let's Played. It doesn't look "admirable" to be honest, but it seems more competent than the Tekken Force thing from 3 and Scenario Campaign in 6.

Speaking of which:

I'll second this, but I gotta admit that showing off SC would be a nightmare if you wanted to cover all the bases (different dialogue and characters), and kinda pointless if you didn't.

I actually think SC is probably the mode with the most effort and gameplay value. That being said, yeah, I'd need to sort a lot out and practice non-stop to get anywhere near competent enough.

The last video should be up this next week, also, so sorry for the long wait.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The end.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Nice to see that Jin's thrust punch is still and AI breaker, even in a different genre of game :)

Thanks for going through with this - it was pretty great at the end, and I really feel you improved as things went on.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

biosterous posted:

Nice to see that Jin's thrust punch is still and AI breaker, even in a different genre of game :)

Thanks for going through with this - it was pretty great at the end, and I really feel you improved as things went on.

Thrust punch is OP.

Thanks for the advice earlier, it really helped. I'm much happier with videos 4 and 5.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's weird you basically only used one move against the entire end boss. I guess it's got a lot of counters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Glazius posted:

It's weird you basically only used one move against the entire end boss. I guess it's got a lot of counters?

That's really the most efficient way to attack it, regrettably. I did a full combo once, but finding enough time to do that is very difficult.

• Locked thread