Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

JuniperCake posted:

Welp, not gonna be able to submit for the loser brawl so I will take my well deserved loss. Good show Broenheim.

If you are 'not able' due to genuine extenuating circumstances I am capable of giving extensions.

Will you be able to submit in 3-4 days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Anomalous Blowout posted:

If you are 'not able' due to genuine extenuating circumstances I am capable of giving extensions.

Will you be able to submit in 3-4 days?

Yeah I could. The past week has been rough but didn't want to be all excuses cause it's the dome and all. But if you're offering I'd take the extension so I could hopefully actually submit something half decent.

Phobia
Apr 25, 2011

I'm a suave detective with a heart of gold in hot pursuit of the malevolent, manipulative
MIAMI MUTILATOR
and the deranged degenerates who only want their
15 MINUTES OF FAME.

OCK.
:siren:INTERPROMPT:siren:

An acquaintance of mine was in El Salvador for two weeks and now they have a stomach bug. They can't eat anything.

So to make them feel better your prompt is " FOOD GONE WRONG! " 150 words.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Phobia posted:

:siren:INTERPROMPT:siren:

An acquaintance of mine was in El Salvador for two weeks and now they have a stomach bug. They can't eat anything.

So to make them feel better your prompt is " FOOD GONE WRONG! " 150 words.

7 billion chefs

--- swam through the cosmic silt and approached the egg his mother had lain untold era ago. It hadn't hatched, and why let a good thing go to waste?

He drew close and sank his enormous jaws through its crust until something on its surface caught his eye.

"Oh gross. Ants," he thought, and spat the blue-green planet into the darkest depths of space.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

True Story (71 words)

Back in high school I had a frozen Fettuccine Alfredo that was topped with a giant tomato slice. It looked like an odd culinary choice to me, but I was no chef. I popped the whole slice into my mouth at once only to discover that the tomato was actually ham.

Ham is delicious, but not when you're expecting a tomato.

I never did manage to shake the nickname.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Fruit Gone Bad

Strawberry and Blueberry sat on the couch at their mother’s behest.
“Your father and I are concerned. Broccoli, the cleaning lady, was in the family room, and she found a bag of pot.”

“She didn't smoke it, did she?” asked Strawberry

“No, she didn't smoke it!” said mother Cucumber.

Their father, Cantaloupe, smiled. “Now, we're not here to ‘come down on you.’ I mean, that's not what we're about, okay? I mean we're your parents! Who wants to hear this stuff from their parents, huh?”

“Your father and I came up with a brilliant idea to give you kids some direction - a motivational speaker.”

“Watermelon, we're ready for you!” said Cantaloupe.

Watermelon bounded up the stairs and burst into the room with the energy of a protein-infused smoothie. “Alright, how's everybody? Good! Good! Now, let's get started by me giving you a little bit of a scenario of what my life is all about! First off, I am 35 years old, I am divorced, and I live in a van down by the river! Now, young Blueberry, what do you want to do with your life?”

Blueberry stuttered. “I… actually, Watermelon... I kinda wanna be a writer.”

Watermelon jumped in his face. “We-e-e-elll.. la-de-freakin'-da! We've got ourselves a writer here!.” He jumped across the room. “Hey, Dad, I can't see real good, is that Bill Picklespeare over there?”

“Well, actually, Watermelon.. Cucumber and I have encouraged Blueberry in his writing.”

“Dad, I wish you could just shut your big yapper! Now, I wonder, Blueberry, from what I've heard, you're using your paper, not for writing, but for rolling doobies! You're gonna be doing a lot of doobie-rolling when you're living in a van down by the river!”

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

(Botellophobia- Fear of sausage. & opt. Carnophobia- Fear of meat.)

Many Hands

:stare:

:stare::fh:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

crabrock posted:

[close to 300 words]

Pear it down a little.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
:siren: Thunderdome Week 112 - Results :siren:

Hi! Thanks for playing. I'm glad to announce that we had not *lifts carpet* a single *pushes Skwid under carpet with foot* failure this week.

Unfortunately a lot of your stories were bad.

This week's loser is satsui no thankyou. I don't have any words for this.

The following people get Dishonorable Mentions:
Jitzu_the_Monk for a really dumb and bad anti-vac murder fantasy (welcome to Thunderdome)
God Over Djinn for repeatedly hitting me over the head with her thesaurus, despite knowing better
Phobia for what the gently caress is going on in your story
CommissarMega for what the gently caress is going on in your story
Ironic Twist for what the gently caress is going on in your story
Quidnose for a story about two people sitting, and then one of them gets coffee

An Honorable Mention goes to Sitting Here for a straight story told well.

This week's winner is SurreptitiousMuffin whose entry was an island of relief in a sea of bullshit. May God have mercy on your soul.

You can do better Thunderdome. I believe in you.

Good night.

Entenzahn fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 29, 2014

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
With a lowercase 'a' (100 words)

With a lowercase 'a'
on the side effects list
you get dull phlegmy hardness
and each thing you taste
tastes like garlic or copper
You won't drum your hipbones or
demonize chocolate
or make youself vomit
but the drugs make the easiest
pleasures a problem
gently caress dinner suggestions
when every comestible
sounds like it's rotting and
much as you're starving
you can't seem to want it
And that's what you pay
when you nourish pale faith in
the virtues of medicine
and weigh anorexia (lowercase a)
and you don't find it wanting
compared to the other things wrong with you.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
here are some very short crits in case yall wanna know how i felt (you probably don't, I'm an idiot):

Stories are judged based on my new FEAR OF READING THUNDERDOME ENTRIES or Bibliockphobia.

Jitzu_the_Musk
Boring opening. I hate your characters (good and bad thing). What the gently caress ending. Needs more story and less telling.
You have a fear of MARK TWAIN

Quidnowayjose
Nothing happens. The circular nature was interesting. Needed less words to tell the same thing. I was confused for most of this.
You have a fear of WOOD POLISH

Satsui no thankyou, god, please, no thank you *slams door*
Literally nothing happened. I laughed twice, this is your only salvation.
You have a fear of LARRY THE CABLE GUY

FairFushia
I love your idiot kid and hate your idiot ending.
You have a fear of POKEMON

CommisarMegalodon
Your story reads like your protagonist: robotic. This felt all over the place and then fizzled. Introduction felt silly, didn't tie into theme well.
You have a fear of THE WIRE

SurpriseMuffintin
Boring character but good story overall. Fascinating to read and possibly hunger inducing (I am hungering for better stories this week).
You have a fear of TRIMMING FAT

God over djinnininin
This was fun to read and went exactly no where. Good words wasted. Tell a story. I was fighting for a not DM for you and would have put you at the high end of good because of my personal taste tho.
You have a fear of CARL SATAN

Seated there
Straightforward story that pulls zero punches, unfortunately you don't hit like Mike Tyson. Good use of prompt, solid. Needs less cliche.
You have a fear of SUNNY DELIGHT

Twisted Syster transistor
Solid story, I was confused as to how your robot person worked, physically, but uh, otherwise well told. Average story that almost made the HM cut.
You have a fear of WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Fumblemouse
I had fun reading your story and while I would have liked to know how this person ended in an infinite loop, it was alright. Could tone down a little of the excess prose.
You have a fear of A COPY OF INDIANA JONES STUCK ON REPEAT

Some Guy TT
Second person gimmick actually pulled off successfully. Boring and cliche otherwise. I did not enjoy reading about your characters.
You have a fear of FRATERNITIES

My Sledgehammer
Your main character is a redditor and chess metaphors. Cliche as poo poo but not poorly written enough to justify a DM.
You have a fear of JOCKS

Crackrob
This was a well told story I didn't hate, and was funny, also slightly charming. Your opening was a little on the gross side but you know whatever.
You have a fear of GREASY FACES

frizzled matriarch
Competent and boring. I am offended by how bland this is. One thing happened and your protagonist was useless.
You have a fear of WHITE CASTLE

Anonymous blowhole
Stuck close to the theme, and you know what they say about getting too close to the fire! Ha ha ha!
You have a fear of SALSA DANCING

Phobia (no joke needed)
Your character is Mitt Romney and I think I'm supposed to envy him, maybe not. Mediocre prose. If he took the easy way in life, why is he so successful? Perhaps a better story about robots than OMAR.
You have a fear of TRUST FUNDS

Tyrannosaucy
Decent story in a bad week. Unfortunately your tone went from Fun Idiot Adventure to Jesus That's Grim and it didn't transition well at all. Almost HM.
You have a fear of KEANU REAVES

A Not Very Ironic Or Interesting Twist
What the gently caress just happened. This was like a decent idea for a creepy horror story but that was very jarring and I don't know what happened at the end.
You have a fear of SELF REFLECTION

sebmojojojo
You said nothing very sweetly. Kind of infodumpy and really nothing happened. I liked your characters though.
You have a fear of GREGOR CLEGANE

Baux it's aight
This was cool until the ending, then what in the christ just happened. That made no sense. Goddamn. This started off alright though. Needs a directors cut.
You have a fear of THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

prompt

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah I could. The past week has been rough but didn't want to be all excuses cause it's the dome and all. But if you're offering I'd take the extension so I could hopefully actually submit something half decent.

Deadline extended, have your piece in by midnight PST on Thursday the 2nd.

I'm offering it because the point of loserbrawls is to try to improve as writers, so I'd rather not see someone win by default.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
prumpt

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
MUFFIN YOU CHUNDERHEAD WHERE IS THE PROMPT

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

what is a chunderhead :confused:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Quidnose posted:

what is a chunderhead :confused:

someone whose head is throwup

like muffin

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
:siren: THUNDERDOME CXIII - OK YOU ASKED FOR IT SUCKERS :siren:

Science Fiction and Fantasy have this weird position they sit in, where they have the ability to explore big themes in powerful ways by changing the lens through which we look at them, and yet everybody writing them is doing garbage where a man in a tophat stabs another man and then a beautiful quirky girl arrives and they have the perfect zeppelin sex party the author never had. So, get your steam-powered condoms ready because your prompt is:

Write a story in the genre of science fiction or fantasy.

However, when you sign up you will be given a virtue, which could be a single world or could be a phrase, which your story has to explore somehow. I don't want to see a man with a big axe killing another man with a big axe in a dramatic way: I want to see some goddam profound thematic resonance you dogs. If you want an extra-difficult virtue, let me know but don't complain that it's too hard later.

Finally, we're going to have a shifting word count. The base word count is 1250, but, there will be word bonuses or penalties depending on how late you are.

WORD BONUSES
Between now and signup deadline: +750 words
Saturday UTC: +0 words
Sunday UTC: -250 words

Signsups: Friday October 3rd, 11:59pm UTC
Submission Deadline: Sunday October 5th, 11:59pm UTC

JUDGES:
SUSPICIOUSSTUFFING
SHITTINGWHERE?
INSCHIDEYOURHOME

STARONAUTS:
Jitzu_the_Monk: being humble
Quidnose: generousity
Anomalous Blowout: the need to always know more
Djeser: hope
LOU BEGAS MOUSTACHE: strength through adversity
Fumblemouse: you will find Him in the smallest places
God Over Djinn: the definition of courage is being the only one who knows you're afraid
Anathema Device: persistence. :toxx:
Tyrannosaurus: greed that consumes all
December Octopodes: perspicacity
Malloreon: trust
Bauxite: decisiveness
Your Sledgehammer: strength
Phobia: attention to detail
Systran:finding solace in one's weakness :toxx:
Fuschia Tude: an appreciation of beauty
Benny the Snake: never-say-die
Grizzled Patriarch: wisdom earned hard
Docbeard: using fear to one's advantage
Some Guy TT: hypocrisy
Jagermonster: a jovial and easygoing affect
Cache Cab: critical thinking, ALSO your story must involve a disease that was thought to be wiped out, but has now returned due to idiocy.
satsui no thankyou: defending the weak
curlingiron: inability to admit mistakes
Entenzahn: body-shaming
theblunderbuss:bringing out the best in others
Meeple: love of nature
Pootie Tang: absolute faith
Helsing: a startling lack of foresight
Noah: That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracle of the One Thing.
Crabrock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-M4o-5IYwo
Paladinus: Though you may never forget, you must always forgive.
Obliterati: magnificence
leekster: you are unable to see life as anything but a game
Zekky: camaraderie
ZeBourgeoisie:all things in moderation
HammerBro: wherein somewhere He sleeps, His bones grow cold with the passing of time, and an empty hearth
Walamor: howling from street corners, He is as the fisher king as He too grows strong so does His dominion
Barracuda Bang!: a green thumb
starr:rigidity :toxx:
kurona_bright: compassion :toxx:
Kaishai: resistance
magnificent7: a studious mind open to new possibilities.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 6, 2014

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
Hit me with a virtue and I'm in!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

In! Gimmie dat virtue~

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

To infinity and beyond.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I have no longer misdemeaned so I'm in.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
in

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

Hit me with a virtue and I'm in!
Being humble.

Quidnose posted:

In! Gimmie dat virtue~
Generousity.

Anomalous Blowout posted:

To infinity and beyond.
The need to always know more.

Djeser posted:

I have no longer misdemeaned so I'm in.
Hope.
Strength through adversity.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer
I hath lost an eighth. Please hit me with an EXTRA CRISPY virtue to fatten me up.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Fumblemouse posted:

I hath lost an eighth. Please hit me with an EXTRA CRISPY virtue to fatten me up.
you will find Him in the smallest places

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
in

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
the definition of courage is being the only one who knows you're afraid

Anathema Device
Dec 22, 2009

by Ion Helmet
In :toxx:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Persistence.

I'm going AFK for the next 6 hours, then I'll be back with an armful of virtues for the rest of you.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
In

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Sweet, a prompt that tells me to do the same thing I'm always demanding others do in my reviews.

I'm in.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I have been absent from the Dome for too long. Or not long enough. One of those.

I'm in.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

In.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Let's rock

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I'm in.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd like to think I'm a virtuous man- count me in.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
In with :toxx:

Phobia
Apr 25, 2011

I'm a suave detective with a heart of gold in hot pursuit of the malevolent, manipulative
MIAMI MUTILATOR
and the deranged degenerates who only want their
15 MINUTES OF FAME.

OCK.
Oh man this doesn't look good for me.

In, though. In.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
I'm definitely in. I'll take on all of you clowns.

• Locked thread