Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Unormal posted:

Any feedback at all, pretty much. Feel free to e-mail unormal at gmail if you've got unstructured feedback that you don't feel like posting on the forums.

Well, most of my impressions after 60-90 minutes of play are just about little interface concerns:

Dialogue boxes:
- Easier to skim if there was a format difference between the speaker's name and the spoken text.
- very easy to skip pages of dialogue by mistake. rewind button?
- Cut-scenes should skip with "Esc", particularly if it's your second time through and there's a clickable skip button

Terrain:
- Tutorial level could cover some interaction with the floor - sliding on slime, leaf pile gold
- stacked floor damage only shows part of the damage done

Powers:
- surprised when bow of frost proc-ed on melee attack (bug?)
- target priority for archery should be closest to furthest, all enemies before any objects / spawners
- target selection for archery - arrow keys appear to move through a list, don’t match visual on map
- target indicator hidden by wall when enemy is to north of tall wall.
- The space bar action changes from “attack” to “wait” depending on whether you're using melee or ranged.

Items:
- when you die, are new items discovered in that run still available in the shop?
- don’t get pop=up description of new item if no item currently equipped
- Very easy to hit a number button and suddenly have chosen "use" with a newly picked up item

As for balance and the like, my only thought was: basic combat satisfying, archer strong.

bisonbison fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

bisonbison posted:

unormal, thanks for the beta key. What kind of feedback are you interested in right now?

Balance issues and game-breaking power abuse type stuff would be hugely helpful.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

andrew smash posted:

running is a crazy powerful buff and you basically get a free one every level so use that poo poo.

You also get another every time you pick up a health globe/use a medkit.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Yeah, you can comfortably expect to be able to use Running maybe 2-3 times a level.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

This'll go real nice with my nanomachic sniper plasma rifle :unsmigghh:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

This'll go real nice with my nanomachic sniper plasma rifle :unsmigghh:

Ao100 or just really drat lucky?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Ao100 or just really drat lucky?

Ao100 Scavenger Technician. Other highlights: Malek's Armour, Cerberus Phaseshift Boots, Power+Nano Gothic Armour (I was shooting for Cybernano Gothic +Power but I never found a single Onyx Pack :smith:)

Ao100 gets pretty silly, but it's a fun palate cleanser. It's refreshing to occasionally dispense with all the special levels and boss battles to just rampage along endlessly, creating ever more overpowered weaponry and armour until you can shred a Cyberdemon and his three Arch-Vile buddies while cackling maniacally.

If I managed to make that ridiculous Nuclear Hellfucker in the regular game I'd probably shoot straight for a no-damage secret boss kill.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004
So... Archangel of 666 next?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I've tried it a couple of times and oh god it's a horrible slog. I do plan to beat that loving thing sooner or later, though.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Booted up Rogue Survivor to give it a shot only to find that, in the year of our lord 2014, genders have different stats. What the hell?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

packetmantis posted:

Booted up Rogue Survivor to give it a shot only to find that, in the year of our lord 2014, genders have different stats. What the hell?

There are physical differences between the two genders.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Is Rogue Survivor even still updating?

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

lmao did you come here just to try and start that fight hahaah

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Indeed. For example, men are born with Big Pecs and biceps, whereas women have soft faces and a secondary mating pouch

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Varinn posted:

lmao did you come here just to try and start that fight hahaah

he's right

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

It doesnt matter because making your zombie game say that big strong mans have big strong muscles is really lame and something only dudes who drove vans back in the 80s did

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
It's very important that these completely abstract numbers reflect the incredibly vague physical differences between the sexes *vaping intensifies*

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Thanks, Anita. Can we get back to talking about roguelikes now?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

yeah is rogue survivor still updating or is it still kinda a piece of poo poo with neat ideas? it had a cool feature where you could play as a zombie, i think

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

packetmantis posted:

In 2014, allowing a gender choice is still pretty progressive for roguelikes.

Cuntpunch posted:

Thanks, Anita. Can we get back to talking about roguelikes now?

Would you care we discuss the definition of roguelike instead?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Potsticker posted:

In 2014, allowing a gender choice is still pretty progressive for roguelikes.

I should take this opportunity to remind everyone that Dungeonmans offers Male, Female, Beast, and Who Cares? and said genders are sprite independent.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

madjackmcmad posted:

I should take this opportunity to remind everyone that Dungeonmans offers Male, Female, Beast, and Who Cares? and said genders are sprite independent.

But are there statistical differences between sprites and/or genders!?

That's pretty cool that Dungeonmans does that.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Varinn posted:

something only dudes who drove vans back in the 80s did

I guess these people are now making roguelike computer games.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

My least favorite part of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is how it suggests that different races of elves are more or less prone to certain attributes. What troglodyte made that oppressive decision, I wonder.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

enterprising goon 'cuntpunch' sets the record straight and shows the world just how on the edge one's opinion can be

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

enterprising goon 'cuntpunch' sets the record straight and shows the world just how on the edge one's opinion can be

Games are games, stats are stats, throwing a shitfit over imaginary numbers in escapism is pretty silly.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

enterprising goon 'cuntpunch' sets the record straight and shows the world just how hysterical one non-committal post and laugh at goony behavior can apparently be

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cuntpunch posted:

Games are games, stats are stats, throwing a shitfit over imaginary numbers in escapism is pretty silly.

Who is throwing a shitfit? Besides you I mean.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ADOM has stat differences between the genders, I think male characters get +1 STR and female characters get +1 DX. Stop oppressing me Thomas Biskup!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Making a massive derail with a one-liner. :golfclap:

madjackmcmad posted:

This might be a silly question, but have you considered making Dungeonmans available on GOG?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Even though it's being updated again, ADOM is still not exactly a modern game.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
Talking about women in roguelikes, Crypt of the Necrodancer is just fantastic. I know it's been discussed here before, but I just got it on the weekend and it's the only game I've played since then.

I suck at it and I don't care because the start is just as much fun as the boss fights. If my fingers didn't cramp up I'd play it all day.

Give it a try if you haven't already.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Otherwise, no, Rogue Survivor has not been updated in a long time and things apparently went mysteriously off the rails into silence on the sequel project the dev had started as of back in 2012.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Men are stronger than women

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
In most RPGs you are not playing as the most average member of your sex/race.

You are playing as a hero.

Hope this helps.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crawl is funny because your character's apparent gender is not something you control, nor is it something that is ever even distinguishable unless you really want to find out.

Also it's good because gender has literally no mechanical effect whatsoever.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyway, i'm tired, and it's fairly obvious some goofy-rear end motherfuckers are "ironically" making sexist statements/jokes to rile up the thread, so that's all i have to say, i'm sleep now

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

ADOM has stat differences between the genders, I think male characters get +1 STR and female characters get +1 DX. Stop oppressing me Thomas Biskup!

It's a lot worse than that because in addition to that, male characters use charisma for lowering shop prices and female characters use appearance. I guess now that appearance gives corruption resistance that actually makes them better, but it's still stupid.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I don't get it. Men and women, who are in fact different in real life, are represented differently in silly game ways in silly games. Does this genuinely upset anybody? Do you also rage that succubi and incubi in nethack are all heterosexual? Or that only females can lay eggs?

Mentalfloss
Nov 19, 2003

Grandma is a whore
dudes are @s chicks should be βs am I right fellas ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Morholt posted:

In most RPGs you are not playing as the most average member of your sex/race.

You are playing as a hero.

Hope this helps.

Not sure if this was your point, but you're not the hero in rogue survivor.

Well you can be but yeah. Anyway gendered stats are dumb, proven through this thread.txt.