Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bimmi posted:

I do think the HG looks a little better than the MG, actually. Not too often that happens.

I like the proportions and detail on the MG better but I think the colors on the HG look better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Is that weird chicken neck on the MG really the way it looks or is it just sloppy posing?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Dalong probably just picked it up by the head or something. It's actually a pretty good way of gripping it, the shoulders are kind of unstable.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Amazon's got a sale going on for most Wing MGs. Sandrock, Wing, Shenlong, Wing Zero Custom and Deathscythe Hell for ~$45. Heavyarms, Deathscythe, and Wing EW for ~$40. And while it's not as much of a discount, Tallgeese and Proto Zero for ~$50.

Shinn seems to be having a sale too. Sword Impulse and Destiny for $50.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

well desperately trying to finish my nu ver ka before a model show next saturday, so thought of posting a progress shot of the leg

I like the results so far. Put some more detail in the frame than I usually do and I think I may keep doing that on other kits whose frame has a similar level of detail. I'm a little annoyed that the alclad aluminum I used for the thruster isn't contrasting more with the tamiya metallic gray.I also need to do a quickfix on the frame above the thruster since it somehow bent off. Oh well it likely won't be noticeable at the end (I hope).

Also gently caress the hands So many nubs and seam lines to deal with. Not to mention fingers falling off. I'd take the wing hands any day.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 28, 2014

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
Has anyone else picked up the Nightingale? Is there actually an LED included or is that sold separately?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Is it bad that I'm about 60% of the way through this RG Build Gundam MkII and I'm already making detailed plans to create a RG Star Build Strike?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Note that that one will be a fair bit harder, since you'll have to mod the HG's armor to fit on the RG's frame. There's no easy backpack attachment either, which is kind of annoying after all the work Bandai put into keeping the Striker Packs compatible across the years.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

BlitzBlast posted:

Note that that one will be a fair bit harder, since you'll have to mod the HG's armor to fit on the RG's frame. There's no easy backpack attachment either, which is kind of annoying after all the work Bandai put into keeping the Striker Packs compatible across the years.

Yeah, it's looking like:
  • make BS pauldrons + shoulder thrusters (SBS paint on pauldrons)
  • make BS forearm hardpoint modules
  • make BS side skirts + saber holsters
  • make SBS outer calf modules
  • make BS ankle guards
  • make BS head vulcans (!!!), possibly scrap the entire Strike head altogether
  • repaint V-Fin (goddamnit why couldn't it be yellow like the HGCE Strike), knees
as just a starting checklist. That doesn't even consider the HG Star Beam Rifle's complete lack of color accuracy or how to make a 1/144 hinged Absorb Shield. My girlfriend got the HG SBS so I at least have the real thing to use as a reference, but the whole thing reeks of at least a month or 2 of work.

It's kind of obvious in the anime that they're using regular HGs with no inner frames (especially when severed body parts are completely hollow). Despite that, I still really wish they'd release actual RGs for the series.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
I havent built a model in probably a decade or so. I ended up grabbing the MG Sandrock EW since it has always been a favorite of mine as well as the MG Shinanju Stein Ver. Ka. I should have them in this week if amazon is to be believed. Im looking forward to putting them together. Im hoping I wont have too much trouble with them since I've been putting together and painting tabletop minis for a few years. Hopefully my meat hands will cooperate with me.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, I've been hunting down my local hobby shops, and I can't find anything like this, so might as well ask here. Are there any good 'detail parts' sets, not necessarily just for gunpla, but just general modelling work? Something like what you can see all over the place on this kit. Little bits of armor plating, pipes, hoses, large bolts, stuff like that.

Or is the only choice to make it out of plaplate and do each piece totally custom?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A lot of companies make little option kits like that. I'm a fan of Wave's.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there an actual release date for HG Build Burning besides "October"? Trying to decide if I want to order MG Turn A and Age-1 Titus now or if I should wait because Build Burning is coming soon.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Bandai-Hobby.net and Amazon.co.jp both say the 11th. ...pretty much everyone else just says "October" though.

Edit: Actually, that's what it says in the corner of this image too:

"¥1512, planned release Oct. 11"

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 29, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gently caress it I ordered those robits anyway.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm starting to think I will never get the Phenex's WG2 runner without straight up ordering a MG Phenex.

And not even I want to go that far for FA Plan B. :negative:

EDIT: You know what, I could probably just make something close with the BF Gunpla Battle Arms thing. I think I'll do that and save... what, $130?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 29, 2014

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

So I made a mess trying to redo some decals with a white gundam marker, can I just remove this with alcohol or something?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Yes. Use 90% or better isopropyl alcohol.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

madpanda posted:

So I made a mess trying to redo some decals with a white gundam marker, can I just remove this with alcohol or something?

Wait, i'm confused. Were you using the Gundam marker to try and paint over decals? I need some visual aid to understand what exactly you were trying to do.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm assuming he was trying to paint stickers.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
So after having recently researched GitS: SAC I really want a tachikoma model but there are so many different ones available. Anyone have any experience or recommendations? Either a model kit or a figure, as long as I can pose it doing silly things I'd be fairly happy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vahtooch posted:

So after having recently researched GitS: SAC I really want a tachikoma model but there are so many different ones available. Anyone have any experience or recommendations? Either a model kit or a figure, as long as I can pose it doing silly things I'd be fairly happy.

For low effort and ease of purchase get one of the Revoltech Tachikomas. For a model get a Kotobukiya plastic kit in 1/35. For size get a WAVE kit in 1/24.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyine here put together the Rx-78-2 3.0? How was it? I want a 78-2 that isn't the rear end RG.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's neat, but it's a fiddly mess with some pain in the rear end arms.

Just get either the 2.0 or the OYW.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Silentman0 posted:

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong.

I'll say!

That Deathscythe Hell is completely without any kind of panorama or base at all.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Wait, i'm confused. Were you using the Gundam marker to try and paint over decals? I need some visual aid to understand what exactly you were trying to do.

Sorry,

The lovely decals fell off so I was trying to use gundam markers to just paint an approximation of them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Literally The Worst posted:

Anyine here put together the Rx-78-2 3.0? How was it? I want a 78-2 that isn't the rear end RG.

If you want something cheap and good at the 1/144 scale, get the Gunpla Starter Kit Vol.2. It's the G30th version of the RX-78-02.

Vahtooch posted:

The 1/35-scale Kotobukiya Tachikoma kit should see you right. I have one sitting on my desk right now, and couldn't be happier with it. Great range of motion, no stickers, and polycap joints in everything so it'll sit stable.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The 1/35-scale Kotobukiya Tachikoma kit should see you right. I have one sitting on my desk right now, and couldn't be happier with it. Great range of motion, no stickers, and polycap joints in everything so it'll sit stable.

Can you post a picture of it doing something cute? I had a look at them all today and the revoltech ones seem to have the most personality so far. But I spose there weren't any review blogs of either the koto or wave kits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vahtooch posted:

Can you post a picture of it doing something cute? I had a look at them all today and the revoltech ones seem to have the most personality so far. But I spose there weren't any review blogs of either the koto or wave kits.

Actually, Dalong.net has a review of the Tachikoma kit, along with most other Kotobukiya kits. Something to note is that it doesn't actually need that base under the Pod to keep it stable. Sits just fine on it's four legs.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I don't know if you guys have been using actual paint brushes to apply your polish, but I'm experimenting with gear to make it easy for me to make perfectly clean, perfectly lined models for a start. I got my flush cutters and xacto, but I still feel like I need to sand down sprue nubs to get them perfectly flat, and that comes with scuff marks. Pledge to the rescue, as I've been told. The tip here that I've got if you care is gently caress using a brush for this stuff if you aren't applying it on top of paint. If you're applying Pledge Future directly to plastic for the purpose of hiding scuff marks, or for prepping a decal space, or whatever you'd apply it directly to the plastic for, you can use an acrylic paint marker.

I am using a Montana empty acrylic paint marker. You can find them on Dick Blick or wherever for like 3-5 bucks each. Fill up the marker, press it a few times like you would do with a Gundam marker, and then there's your Pledge Future marker. You can also use this of course with other colors of actual acrylic paint. The reason I'd say don't use this to apply polish to painted or decal'd spots is because the marker nib can be kinda rough on unprotected paint jobs, so I'll be using protective spray coats for that.

Anyways thought I'd share. Next I'll be trying tiny chisel tip markers with dye ink for panel lining, because using pens is getting annoying. The best way I've come up with to panel line so far is to brush a particular ink (Didi's Magic Ink) which is really low viscosity but is highly saturated just slopping it all over a detailed area, and then quickly wiping it off with a shop towel. It leaves very thin panel lines and no discoloration to the rest of the panels if you don't wait a long time to do it. Dye-based alcohol inks might be better though.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 30, 2014

Souichiro
Aug 31, 2003

You should focus on doing the things only you can do.

Literally The Worst posted:

The decals for the magnetic coating on the elbow joints pissed me off to no end. I should've painted them. Live and learn, I suppose. I rather enjoyed the build otherwise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's an early review of the Build Burning Gundam up. It has a pair of transparent orange hands for that Burning Finger touch :allears:. The flame jet effect parts also look far better than I thought they would.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Bimmi posted:

PG Unicorn is a pretty huge deal all by itself, right? Too ridiculous to seriously consider yet the obvious, inevitable choice. The first new PG in four years. An engineering challenge to top them all. It's hard to imagine anything bigger.

It's a somewhat bizarre intro though. A poster and a flyer and nothing else. Almost feels like this thing missed its own coming-out party.

Maybe they haven't designed it yet and they're trying to motivate the engineers. It worked with JFK and the moon landing.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Looks like Gentei Kits has the Tallgeese III up for preorder. The yen is at a favorable exchange rate, which makes the price a whole lot cheaper than GG Infinite. Apparently Bandai is also doing a Tallgeese II reissue to hit at around the same time the TG3 launches if anyone still wants that one. Oh, and GK has a 10% off code running right now for any orders with in-stock items. So if someone still needs a Psycho Shard....

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there a Gundam AGE-1R Razor kit out there for the MG AGE Normal? Or is that HG only?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Is there a Gundam AGE-1R Razor kit out there for the MG AGE Normal? Or is that HG only?

AGE has 6 MGs, AGE-1 Normal/Spallow/Titus, and AGE-2 Normal/Double Bullet/Dark Hound. They sold horribly and there aren't any online exclusives for them.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I bought my first model today, it looks pretty sweet! HG Zaku II (Gundam Thunderbolt Version) Model Kit (1/144 Scale)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HD4IMTW/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item_image

I'll probably try my hand at painting it too since I'm pretty used to painting wargaming minis and have all the necessaries for that. Hopefully it doesn't turn out like complete poop!

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Im finally getting back into gunpla after doing a few kits in the early 2000s, I never painted or did much to my kits out of the box before, but now i wanna really get into it and work my way up and making a lot nicer looking kits

I decided to start with some kits I like but aren't my "favorites" because I want to eventually do a nice job and get RG or MG versions and im not a huge fan of having duplicates.

Went ahead and ordered these kits of Hobbywave:
HGUC 1/144 Gundam F91
HGBF 1/144 Beagguy III
HGBF 1/144 Gouf R35

I've also not got a lot of tools either and I haven't looked them over in a while so they might not be in the greatest shape or quality.

Do you guys have any recommendations of kits of tools or other supplies I should pick up? Also what kind of order I should work on with respect to levels of quality on a build, between panel lines, filling seams, painting spots that would normally be stickers, or fully priming and painting?

I dont want to just jump in and try everything right away, i'd rather work up to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's really not nearly as hard as you think. Get some cutters, a knife, sand paper, and a gundam marker and go to town. You can pick up a full assortment of paints and plastic cement later, none of the kits you got really need them that much.

• Locked thread