Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
NIN using a NIN logo on their facebook page is not a clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Periodiko posted:

NIN using a NIN logo on their facebook page is not a clue.
They never advertised the scores for The Social Network/Girl With The Dragon Tattoo as NIN releases though, did they?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They never advertised the scores for The Social Network/Girl With The Dragon Tattoo as NIN releases though, did they?

NIN were also on hiatus when those] came out. I really wouldn't read too much into thus beyond maybe there being a NIN song on the soundtrack there was a HTDA song on the GWTDT soundtrack (though I still wouldn't bet on it)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, maybe it's nothing. I just thought it was weird, and someone in the comments on that Facebook post said something about a second volume of Ghosts and I guess I got my hopes up even though I knew that probably wasn't gonna happen :shobon:

Trent & Atticus' scores are basically like continuations of Ghosts anyway, though.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I agree that it's unusual and I'll take any opportunity to get excited about new NIN.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Its streaming on NPR now

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, don't link it or anything.
http://www.npr.org/2014/09/25/350948108/first-listen-trent-reznor-atticus-ross-gone-girl-motion-picture-soundtrack

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So far this seems much more backgroundy than the other two scores, which isn't a bad thing or anything, it's just fading in and out of my attention right now while I do other things. It also does seem to be a pretty good mesh the the other two scores.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This is fantastic. I wasn't a big fan of Dragon tattoo, this score moves better and has some terrific melodies so far. I'm also a huge sucker for Reznor piano which is all over this thing.

I hadn't been reading about the film until today and my interpretation of the earlier released tracks was that they were uncomfortably soothing, if that makes sense. Which is what the movie sounds like it's going for!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So uhhh, NIN changed their default photo on Facebook a few hours ago:

That's the Gone Girl color scheme, but as we all know, NIN didn't do the Gone Girl soundtrack, Trent and Atticus did. So could this mean a new NIN release, maybe recorded at the same time as the Gone Girl sessions?

Could it be another Ghosts release?

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go
I think it's just to tie in with the Facebook cover image, which is an advertisement for the Gone Girl score on nin.com.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The closer chord progression sneaks in around 58 minutes into the stream

:monar:

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Sounds like Vangelis 36-41 min in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Finally listening to the NPR stream of the soundtrack, and basically I'm feeling this:

axleblaze posted:

So far this seems much more backgroundy than the other two scores, which isn't a bad thing or anything, it's just fading in and out of my attention right now while I do other things. It also does seem to be a pretty good mesh the the other two scores.
I could easily see myself leaving this on while I browse the web or fold clothes or do whatever. That's not to say I don't like it, because I do. I can't wait to see the film to have the context for these tracks filled in for me.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Greetings,

I became bored with playing in the other subforums I've been in for the past 9+ years, so you guys mind if i jump in here?

I was huge into music in the '90s and early 2000s, but then life, work, a marriage all got in the way. I woke up recently and released I'd not listened to a complete album in...well....very much way too loving long!

Also, they are making the Gone Girl into a film? I didn't know...not surprising though. I miss a lot of that stuff since I don't have TV.
I read the book awhile back and....it is one of the most psychologically hosed up things I've come accross since some of John Fowl's earlier work.
In otherwords, a perfect playground for Reznor!

As to me & Nin, I've been a fan since the Broken era...quickly backtracking to PHM after discovering the band in '93.
Spiral was great, but very much getting overplayed by the late '90s.
Really i think my favorite from that era was Fragile, and i realise many might disagree.

I've seen NIN live 3 times, which is a lot for me as I've not done the concert thing too much..once even saw them in a show during a Tornado (2000 Tour)...that was..wild.

Anyhow, just popping in...cheers.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mishaco posted:

Really i think my favorite from that era was Fragile, and i realise many might disagree.

Hey fellow Fragile buddy. I think it's Trent's finest work. It's like some kind of beautifully sad shoegazing industrial rock opera....thing. I love it.

And the tracks I've heard for Gone Girl so far are brilliant.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
What was the tornado show like?

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

PHM is a collection of good (even a couple great) tracks, but they are rather disconnected from each other.
Broken isn EP, so its pretty short and while good music, rather monotone (read loud and angry) if that makes sense?
Spiral flows better, but still comes off as 2 or 3 separate recording sessions strung together. Of course it has moments of genious too.
Fragile though, well its a double album, so right there you know its either going to be grand or fall flat on its face. After 5 years of waiting for a new NIN album, i think we all were starving right?
So it was just great to hear it period, but after a couple listenings (like gobling up an apatiser when you are....well starving), I finally had time to taste the favour of the album, and it was just great.
It was mostly mature, but with a few fun songs like Starfuckers too. It was ambicious, without being overally long and drawn out you know?
Plus the tour and live sets were great with it....hard and soft songs in near equal measure and blended together well.

As for the tornado show...it was in an outdoor arena in early Summer, so even though it was 7:00-8:00 PM, the sun was still going down....with a big loving funnel cloud eclipsing it.

They were about to call off the show, but didn't. So after everyone figured out the show would continue...how to put this? everyone's pockets suddenly emptied of their stashes, and it felt like a big party for the rest of the show.
Even the band got into the spirit, playing several more songs....past the 'noise curfue.' (loving Southern states).

Afterwards, we were all wasted but really pumped up. I've lived a pretty quiet life and never been in trouble, but looking back i am shocked we weren't arrested that night in the hotel.

In otherwords, a great concert for someone who'd just turned 18 less than a year before and had nothing to loose, and all of life ahead.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mishaco posted:

PHM is a collection of good (even a couple great) tracks, but they are rather disconnected from each other.
Broken isn EP, so its pretty short and while good music, rather monotone (read loud and angry) if that makes sense?
Spiral flows better, but still comes off as 2 or 3 separate recording sessions strung together. Of course it has moments of genious too.
Fragile though, well its a double album, so right there you know its either going to be grand or fall flat on its face. After 5 years of waiting for a new NIN album, i think we all were starving right?
So it was just great to hear it period, but after a couple listenings (like gobling up an apatiser when you are....well starving), I finally had time to taste the favour of the album, and it was just great.
It was mostly mature, but with a few fun songs like Starfuckers too. It was ambicious, without being overally long and drawn out you know?
Plus the tour and live sets were great with it....hard and soft songs in near equal measure and blended together well.

Yeah, this seems pretty accurate. I must be a weirdo though because I love most of PHM. I'm not terribly fond of Kinda I Want To and maybe The Only Time. Everything else is solid to me. For some reason Ringfinger is my favorite.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Not weird at all.....for 1988-1989, it was an album ahead of its time and pushed the edge of what was commonly accepted in music.

Like i said, its a good album, no doubt of that.
I have the Purest Feeling demo tape, and even listen to it sometimes too.

But the band really grew and expanded throughout the '90s.
PHM = great and fresh ideas
Broken = a loving rocking album, that's great for a teenager especially.
Spiral = a band beginning to mature and find its sound, while still being youthful and raw at times.
Fragile = pretty much the culmination of everything, and frankly i just love the keyboards and strings on it! PLus Trent did so many drugs while writing it that he had to go into rehab. That's a sacrifice he made for us, his loyal fans (I am sure thats it, i bet he didn't have fun at all on them lol)!

I don't mean to leave out his 21st century albums, but they are a different thing in my mind. I enjoy them, but his sound kind of becomes more fixed and routine after Fragile....that make sense?
I even went to a With Teeth era concert....it was still good fun, and still packed with energy.

I am sure its because it came out and i heard it when I was young, so that's why NIN's first 4 releases really stick with me.
When i turned 18 and i had a small windfall of cash (my dad paid like 10 years of back child support...under legal encouragement), i saved most of the money for college but did go out and buy like a $1,000 stereo system. Well i bought the parts for one. None of the pre-fabs out then met my standards...(Bose son...loving Bose all the way).
Anyway, me and a couple friends got home from that shopping trip at around 11:00 PM and spent most of the night wiring up the system. At around 4:00 AM when it was all together, the very first song we cranked out of it was 'Perfect Drug.'
I really don't know how we didn't get a noise complaint actually...

Just hard to form memories like that around songs when you are in your 30s you know? even if they are still totally enjoyable.
I bought H.Marks when it came out naturally. Amazon Prime makes getting music so drat easy and quick. Its probably a very good thing it didn't exist when I was a teenager, or I'd have been literally broke. Hastings was hard enough on my wallet, and that required a drive accross town...and i don't even loving drive!
More than one girlfriend said i should start going to CD Buyers Anonamous. I knew I was in trouble when my gay neighbor (who was a lovely guy) said to me "Oh honey, you got to stop." hehe.....

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Fragile is the Paul's Boutique of NIN. Barely anybody bought it at the time and now everyone fuckin' loves it. Where is that deluxe reissue anyway?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I was that kid who listened to fragile non stop in high school but never ever talked about NIN because everyone I was friends with thought they were wack and goth.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Singing Chav posted:

Fragile is the Paul's Boutique of NIN. Barely anybody bought it at the time and now everyone fuckin' loves it. Where is that deluxe reissue anyway?
Trent's been saying it's coming for years now but it's always taken a backseat to other projects, I guess, and it has yet to be officially announced.

There might still be some label fuckery to work out, too.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Fragile reissue is pretty much the musical holy grail to me.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I like the Spiral reissue, and PHM definitely benefited from remastering; but i do wish it had come with some more bonus tracks.

I bought Fragile at BestBuy about a week or two after it came out.

NIN was pretty excepted at my highscool...the 'weird' kids listened to Marilyn Manson there.

Back then i had several CDs but mostly listended to Smashing Pumpkins, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Tool, Ben Folds (yes he's awesome in his own special way!), and a few other bands which i am now ashamed of and have strickened from my memory perminantly (not unlike a couple high school girlfriends come to think of it).

Really, it was Fragile that pushed me from being a casual NIN fan into being a true one.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

The Singing Chav posted:

It debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 and went 2x plat after like one year(The Downward Spiral is 4x plat but reached 2X right about the same timeframe).

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Singing Chav posted:

The Fragile is the first album I ever bought - guessing around my birthday and after my older brother had given me his old copy of Broken. Everyone feel old.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Singing Chav posted:

Fragile is the Paul's Boutique of NIN. Barely anybody bought it at the time and now everyone fuckin' loves it.

I like it better now than I did when it first came out, but I still think it's one of the weaker NIN albums. There are some really great songs on it but as an album it just really doesn't hold together as one cohesive piece the way TDS or Broken or even PHM do, and its got too much not so great material as well.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

I like it better now than I did when it first came out, but I still think it's one of the weaker NIN albums. There are some really great songs on it but as an album it just really doesn't hold together as one cohesive piece the way TDS or Broken or even PHM do, and its got too much not so great material as well.

I agree with this. I like the Fraglie but I was never able to fully get into it. It kind of suffers where alot of double albums suffer where it's just alot to sit through and you end up breaking it up into pieces and some pieces get more attention than others so it ends up feeling like a bunch of disconnected sections. That is not to say it isn't a great album (it contains my single favorite NIN song), it's just my recollections of it are ore on a song by song basis than as a whole.

Also, Ripe (With Decay) is still the most hilariously unintentionally self-parodyish song title I've ever seen.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 30, 2014

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Earwicker posted:

Yeah, for me, Fragile is the epitome of "would have been better with some more editing."

There are a lot of cool songs, but holy poo poo is there a lot of filler.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

For me, The Fragile is one of those cases where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. There aren't even all that many songs I really love compared to, well, pretty much any other NIN album, but as a whole it's still probably my favorite out of them all. It's just such a wonderfully executed concept.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah honestly, with the exception of Starfuckers I feel like it flows perfectly well. That's not to say it's all perfect, especially when it comes to the lyrics, but I find it to be NIN's "most listenable" album.

Whereas I consider TDS artistically superior, but not really fun to listen to.

(Not saying it doesn't flow well - it's even better than The Fragile in terms of sequencing. I'm really taking about 2 different things here.)

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The Gone Girl Soundtrack has been released.
nin.com: http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/album/3RP0tRQ51HVC57O8q9jCw2
iTunes: http://t.co/9EsPLA0JJP
Beats: https://t.co/kwcnhB0GvK

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Most of the time I listened to the Fragile as a complete album. Either putting a disc into my portable CD player, or putting both into a stereo with a changer.
I'd just let it play start to finish, so maybe that's why i like it so much?
I agree though, Starfuckers does stick out a bit and doesn't flow as well as it could.
Still an enjoyable song, and clearly meant to be a single/live thing.
I just really enjoy all the stringed instruments it has to offer.

I even like the "And All That Could Have Been" EP/sampler thingy.
I bought Things Fall Apart too, but was generally underwelmed by that one (though it does have a couple moments at least).
I actually enjoyed Further Down the Spiral. I ended up with the 'foreign' version, as i found it used at a local CD store back around 1997.
It was always cool buying a new NIN album, just to see the packaging haha.
I am dating myself here, but when i bought Broken, it came with a tiny little 3" disc w/ 2 bonus tracks on it. I thought that was hilarious.
In fact...yeah...that was the first NIN i bought ever.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
Please would flow into Complication so well. don't hat starfuckers just wish it were single only

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I liked We're In This Together for a single more than Starfuckers anyway.
By 1999, i was no longer impressed with the word 'gently caress' in a song title, and a bit too mature to giggle at it either.

Still not a bad song, but there are several others on the album i like more....but I get why its on there.
Every album has to have multiple singles/live jams/frat party favorites...at least if it is to be at all commercially successful.

Of course if a band gears their entire album towards making Top40 single hits, we call them Nickelback.
NIN balances commercial success with artistic vision quite nicely.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Chalk me up as another person who likes The Fragile more than most of the other albums. I loved the first three albums as a teenager, and remember what seemed like insane levels of hype for The Fragile before it was released. There were television commercials on MTV for it with the chorus of Into The Void playing in the background. Then I bought the prerelease single for The Day The World Went Away and was blown away by it because it was so different than what everyone was expecting from a Nine Inch Nails album. It had Starfuckers, Inc as a b-side which I feel works better than on the actual album, since it highlighted two very different tracks without having to work them into an actual flowing, coherent album.

With Teeth sort of disappointed me at release, but it grew on me over time. It still feels a bit samey, though. I thought Year Zero was a great return to form and probably the tightest concept album.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 1, 2014

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
When the single for "The Day the World Went Away" was solicited, it listed "Starfuckers, Inc." as a non-album track. I think it would have been a fine little curiosity if it had stayed there, but somebody decided that it needed to go on the album proper. Such a frustrating song, because it has some of the most amazing production, but such unbelievably stupid lyrics.

I remember when TDTWWA single came out, I was bummed out that one of the coolest little bits of music from the nin.com teaser site was buried in the bridge of "Starfuckers." For months, I had assumed that whatever track contained that music was gonna be some moody, atmospheric thing like "The Art of Self-Destruction, Part One," but then it was like "nope! we're gonna cover all that up with Trent singing a Carly Simon lyric!"

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I would agree with all of that.
I was nerdy enough for NIN in 1999, that i found and bought all 3 We're In This Together singles, and made for myself a little EP album out of the B-Sides.

Year Zero > With Teeth no doubt.
With Teeth isn't garbage, but is a tiny bit lacking here and there.
Then again, like with Fragile before it, we had to wait so long for Teeth to come out, it was just nice to have anything NIN at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Didn't see this posted yet, so here you go:

http://www.theprp.com/2014/09/30/news/nine-inch-nails-trent-reznor-to-take-some-time-off-from-touring/

Looks like Trent is going to take another break from touring.

quote:

“That’s a good question. I just got off tour a couple weeks ago, and I’ve been tying up loose ends this the whole time. So I’ve got a few things that are considerations. I’m not deeply involved in anything at the moment. I just want to center myself and see what feels exciting. It won’t be touring for a while.”

When asked what was wrong with touring, he said:

quote:

“No, I enjoyed it. But I’ve found as I’ve gotten older that, you know, between this and How to Destroy Angels, I’ve been out for 18 months. That’s enough. I’m ready to wake up in the same location for a while.”

See you in 3-5 years, NIN (again)!