Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That guy turning to shoot the other guy after he gave him the gun was really funny and even more funny that he missed.

It was a cool idea but it's been absolutely butchered by this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

It was super funny when he would snap the gun up for an instant and score headshots against bobbing-and-weaving vampires, he turns to shoot a guy standing closer, stationary, and lines up the shot. Misses twice. At least it's consistent with the tongues being amazingly accurate except when being propelled at a character that isn't slated to die, then they are frequently missed/easily dodged.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

CODChimera posted:

That guy turning to shoot the other guy after he gave him the gun was really funny and even more funny that he missed.

It was a cool idea but it's been absolutely butchered by this point.

And Gus hitting him and calling him a bitch for shooting (at) him. loving awesome scene, really, especially when it ends with a loving pile of dead vamps (notice they even called them 'vamps' in a previous episode, which makes me happy. Buffy didn't take very long to convert to using that term, either, although that show wasn't attempting to be so goddamn dour as this) and Quinlan kidnapping him with the bag-over-head method. Ruled.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
But why couldn't they have recorded Eph, going through as many takes as necessary to maximize the infos about vampires/time ratio, then aired the most perfect of these takes, instead of doing it live? If I had to do it, I'd hate loving up while on air, making a fool of myself and accomplishing nothing in the process.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

WitchFetish posted:

But why couldn't they have recorded Eph, going through as many takes as necessary to maximize the infos about vampires/time ratio, then aired the most perfect of these takes, instead of doing it live? If I had to do it, I'd hate loving up while on air, making a fool of myself and accomplishing nothing in the process.

Well, if they had done that they wouldn't have managed to air anything before the German came calling.

Considering that they managed to reach the Master's lair and Setrakian has his name on the front door of his shop, it's more stupid that they weren't prepared for retaliation.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Apoplexy posted:

The star remains Eichhorst, to me. That fucker manages creepy awesomely.

As far as I am concerned, he is the real Master, not the puppet-armed, Joker-smiled tall creeper.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Glad they did that now. The mom subplot dragged on for two more books in the series, and her only purpose seemed to be as an albatross around Nora's neck.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Vishass posted:

Glad they did that now. The mom subplot dragged on for two more books in the series, and her only purpose seemed to be as an albatross around Nora's neck.

Well the show did stay faithful to that part of her character. :shepicide:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

I totally appreciate the surreal qualities to all of this. We're in a guitar store! The outside world doesn't even exist anymore, we're in a strange bubble of bad acting and inappropriately perfect hair!
This magical feeling of nowhereness, otherworldliness is induced by leaving it totally unclear what the state of the outside world is - is there a vampire plague/zombie apocalypse happening out there, or is it business as usual? It's impossible to tell, because our sensory modalities are giving us conflicting evidence, with visually literally empty streets, sirens from unseen sources, people talking about zombies hordes that aren't there.
I can't stop watching.

I almost stopped watching when Eph's kid went out for cigarettes. I thought it would be a really lazy way to get the kid into serious trouble and the rest of the season would be dealing with rescuing him, characters dying because of it, etc., but it was all resolved in the same episode, so it's fine.

I also have the same problem not knowing what life is like out there. It seems like people are just going about their lives inexplicably and blissfully unaware of the vampire plague until it happens to them. I don't even know how that happens, it doesn't make sense even with the internet out at this point because radio/TV/word of mouth should have gotten the word out now. Often when we see someone who's not a main character, they seem to be going about their daily routine unless the script schedules them to have a run-in with a vampire, in which case they're looting or running away scared. There's sirens and screams outside, but it almost feels like New York City as usual (mostly with the sirens, not the screams so much).

I didn't read the books, but I heard things about them. In the books, doesn't The Master just kill the old billionaire right away, not make him a new SuperVampire?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Andrew Verse posted:

Well, if they had done that they wouldn't have managed to air anything before the German came calling.

Considering that they managed to reach the Master's lair and Setrakian has his name on the front door of his shop, it's more stupid that they weren't prepared for retaliation.

I liked the total lack of bars on the windows. How many decades has he been at this without figuring out that might be a point of vulnerability?

That said, I love this show so far warts and ridiculous Master makeup and all. Kind of feel like this is a classic, "It's just a show; I should really just relax," situation.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

I didn't read the books, but I heard things about them. In the books, doesn't The Master just kill the old billionaire right away, not make him a new SuperVampire?

You are correct.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

WitchFetish posted:

Eph is basically Frank Sinatra.

Andrew Verse posted:

I thought it was dumber that after characters repeatedly made a big deal out of the pawnshop being an impregnable fortress, it took Eichorst and 3 cronies with crowbars about 10 minutes to get into the basement.

I don't know if anyone else noticed or cared, but I didn't see it mentioned and we haven't seen him for several episodes. The vampire that got Nora's mother (and survived) was Bolivar (the rock star), in case you're wondering where to send a thank-you card.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Avasculous posted:

I don't know if anyone else noticed or cared, but I didn't see it mentioned and we haven't seen him for several episodes. The vampire that got Nora's mother (and survived) was Bolivar (the rock star), in case you're wondering where to send a thank-you card.

The Master made the evil overlord mistake for a few episodes of leaving a sworn enemy alive just to taunt/torture him.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

I wouldn't mind if the entire show was the Eldritch back story, the flashbacks seem to be much more quality. The well scene was genuinely scary.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

Yes, but I am fairly certain he is not a vamp if they are using the book's example of what The Master did.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

I wouldn't mind if the entire show was the Eldritch back story, the flashbacks seem to be much more quality. The well scene was genuinely scary.

The series make sense when you realize that Setrakian is Wiley coyote and Eichhorst is the roadrunner.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

etalian posted:

The series make sense when you realize that Setrakian is Wiley coyote and Eichhorst is the roadrunner.

And the image of a nazi vampire roadrunner evading the Jewish holocaust survivor coyote just made me laugh.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Meep meep, 8650835!

I don't dislike the show, but this would make it 800,000 times better.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CVagts posted:

Meep meep, 8650835!

I don't dislike the show, but this would make it 800,000 times better.
A230385 have you been paying any loving attention?!

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not gonna lie, I was a little drunk when I got around to watching this last episode. It was a hot mess and I don't think it was the alcohol. It was all over the place, like it was trying to make up for hours of boring TV in a one hour slot but not in a good way like the Gas Station episode did. Anyway, onward into the unknown.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

I want Abraham Setrakian to have his post-Holocaust life in flashbacks just to keep showing off the Armenian Jewish History Proffesor Low Income counterpart to Abraham Van Helsing's medical degree Roman Catholic powered and wealthy characterization. At college I was in a stage performance of Dracula and even though my good friend played a very good Van Helsing the character is hilariously linked to so many old out of date concepts that Abraham Setrakian blows out of the water.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Josh Lyman posted:

A230385 have you been paying any loving attention?!

Subs say it's 823 at the start, not A23.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Apoplexy posted:

The star remains Eichhorst, to me. That fucker manages creepy awesomely.
Nice touch with him looking in a mirror while the vamp goons were crowbarring the safe door open. He has a reflection, but wasn't normal, it kept juddering.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

spookygonk posted:

Nice touch with him looking in a mirror while the vamp goons were crowbarring the safe door open. He has a reflection, but wasn't normal, it kept juddering.

In order to make more time for family court sessions and cigarette quests, one of the main things they cut for the show is that Setrakian knows and shares a lot more about the vampires. Stuff the show has referenced like the mirrors and crossing the river, but I'm hoping they actually explain at some point because some of it is pretty cool.

For example, someone earlier in the thread was asking the very reasonable question of why the Master doesn't just use his psychic knockout power he used on the plane every single time the heroes confront him. In the books, the biggest threat to the master is the other old masters, and using that power is like firing a psychic flare into the sky: it risks giving away his identity, position, and plans to them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

Subs say it's 823 at the start, not A23.
Then they are wrong. The number tattooed on Setrakian's arm says A23.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Why are there no new posts?

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
That was pretty boring as far as a finale goes. Gus continues to be the best character

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

I think after a full season I can now crown the characters on this show the single dumbest group of idiots to ever exist, Bravo!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I guess the hacker girl took fencing lessons in her spare time.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Fentry posted:

I think after a full season I can now crown the characters on this show the single dumbest group of idiots to ever exist, Bravo!

Have you ever seen The Walking Dead?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

Have you ever seen The Walking Dead?

They're giving them a good run for their money though!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Walking Dead? Pfff, That's lightweight. Have you seen Under the Dome?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Silver gladius. Good find, Zach.

Oh, hey, I was just thinking of something: Colloidal silver. That loving retard Libertarian Party (read: REALLY retarded) politician in Alaska drank a bunch because Y2K and turned his skin blue. Quaffing the poo poo should give you immunity to the worms, with the bonus of making you look like a Kree. A possible treatment, since you can't just drink sunlight!

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 6, 2014

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

etalian posted:

I guess the hacker girl took fencing lessons in her spare time.

In fairness, stabbing things with a sword is a hell of a lot easier for a novice than nailing headshots on moving targets with handguns, which the CDC doctors and exterminator have been doing just fine.

I skipped a lot of this episode and missed why they thought it was a good idea to bring Zack into the nest. Are they just trying to get him killed so that he stops trying to get them killed over cigarettes and photo albums?

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Zombie Vampire Mom was still out there, driven by an urge to track down her loved ones. So bringing him along with them to the nest was deemed safer than leaving him somewhere alone. At least at Eph's side, he could personally keep the kid safe (with his protagonist power. :v:)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hope Season 2 feature infinitely more episodes involving Quinlan and Gus, Human/Vampire Hitman Incorporated.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
That was a pretty boring way to end a season. After this mess of a run though, I guess it's to be expected.

I think my largest problem with the story, and that's after accepting a lot of vampire physiology weirdness and dumb character choices, comes with the world not immediately knowing poo poo is going down and quarantining NYC half way through the season. I'm sorry, even if you "kill" the internet and cell phones, you can still transmit news, photographs and video without your smartphone. Plus if you're going to "kill" the internet and cell phones, make it a blanket death, don't let them work half the time in the show. There was no reason for the show not to do that either, you still essentially can reach the same point you are now with it getting made public, and not treat society as completely brain dead to do so.

And if the show begins next season with the CDC guy being a puppet and promoting that NYC is fine...

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 6, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
lol if you're going to watch a second season of this.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Drifter posted:

Hey I survived the second season of both Under the Dome and Homeland and I will survive this. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Drifter posted:

I'm watching season 2 out of pure spite.

• Locked thread