Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i posted about this before but someone requested more info about it so i wrote a lot of dumb text about it

my yospos as hell smoker set up: http://imgur.com/a/JxwpO

sick bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i posted about this before but someone requested more info about it so i wrote a lot of dumb text about it

my yospos as hell smoker set up: http://imgur.com/a/JxwpO

noiceee

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
current idiot spare time project: got bored of game making again, probably because javascript is exhausting to debug and automatic room tile generation is hard

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Sharktopus posted:

thinking about changing the sig up to a map (world? usa?) that shows live traceroutes from the server to anyone currently streaming the gif

i could show a few more data points with link color and thickness, maybe like packet loss by coloring to red and avg time by thickness or something

can you just not do the long polling thing, maybe just generate a tracert of sa-sourced GETs in the last 5 minutes

fuckin tired of my browser spinning

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
got lots of ideas for game but not enough time to make em

wanna make like an octopus ship, 8 floppy arms hanging down and projectile fires from tips so when it's hanging it fires them down but if you spin the ship around fast the centrifugal force will force arms out and so firing will send projectiles in all directions

am starting to thibk nultiplpkayer might be essential for success but big step in making game

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
octoship should rotate around the axis parallel to velocity like a coolass squiddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok although I don't get what you mean but I want to try it

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
current idiot spare time project updates:

box1: i bought a lock for this box. I still need to sand the sides, buy and install some handles, then danish oil it, and I'll be done.
box2: Just have to oil it and buy some handles for it.
box3: More sanding and oiling, but the handles, corners, and feet are ready. It's a lot heavier than the other boxes (it's also double layered and much larger), and I don't know what I'm going to do with it. The latch is installed too, which is good.

painting1: Done, need to varnish it and then it will be ready.
painting2: canvasses grounded, concept sketched, just have to find the time to do it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

echinopsis posted:

ok although I don't get what you mean but I want to try it

kind of like spiral slowly as it goes wiith a little twisting too

i cant wait to see a rodrocket 'tube about it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
twisting is actually virtually impossible to achieve while maintaining a locked axis for the physics [side schroller u see] altho I guess I could hack a solution [use an invisible mesh that doesn't move and a non interacting mesh that spins ] but regardless firing things not on the game plane makes little sense

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

Mido posted:

can you just not do the long polling thing, maybe just generate a tracert of sa-sourced GETs in the last 5 minutes

fuckin tired of my browser spinning

ill just make it faster sending the frames and kill the connection once it's finished one rotation since it should loop anyway

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

current idiot spare time project updates:

box1: i bought a lock for this box. I still need to sand the sides, buy and install some handles, then danish oil it, and I'll be done.
box2: Just have to oil it and buy some handles for it.
box3: More sanding and oiling, but the handles, corners, and feet are ready. It's a lot heavier than the other boxes (it's also double layered and much larger), and I don't know what I'm going to do with it. The latch is installed too, which is good.

painting1: Done, need to varnish it and then it will be ready.
painting2: canvasses grounded, concept sketched, just have to find the time to do it

seriously why are you making all these boxes that you have no plans for

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
same but collecting gay dudes
phone numbers

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

woah woah woah

let a man enjoy his boxes

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

tell us more about the boxes

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

c idiot spare time project s:

putting my game ideas down in writing

http://tmblr.co/Zwx01t1Rs7Hvs

http://tmblr.co/Zwx01t1R-mqRz

shout-out to .webm for getting around tumblr's awful .gif restrictions

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
question is, why wouldn;t you make boxes

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

look at this clowns opinion
straight outta the circus

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's not an opinion. it's a question. no opinions are expressed or implied.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

u need a question mark (?)

i suggest u edit ur post before u look like a moob

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

ahmeni posted:

current idiot spare time project: got bored of game making again, probably because javascript is exhausting to debug and automatic room tile generation is hard

whats wrong with debugging jabbascript

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BONGHITZ posted:

u need a question mark (?)

i suggest u edit ur post before u look like a moob

yospos bitch

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
came to thread hoping for sick box pics but i don't see any, please rectify

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CamH posted:

whats wrong with debugging jabbascript

your runtime is your debugger so if you lose your runtime to something as simple as an infinite loop you have no execution break to find the location of the issue
ive started poking around at haxe + flixel as per mido's suggestion and it seems nice but I've never used action script or whatever it's trying to be so the learning curve is gonna be rough

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

ahmeni posted:

your runtime is your debugger so if you lose your runtime to something as simple as an infinite loop you have no execution break to find the location of the issue
ive started poking around at haxe + flixel as per mido's suggestion and it seems nice but I've never used action script or whatever it's trying to be so the learning curve is gonna be rough

my suggestion is to never write an infinite loop

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

CamH posted:

b.. but.. my event loop

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Sharktopus posted:

b.. but.. my event loop

hmmm........ its almost as if thats not how you're supposed to do it in jabbascript.........

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/window.requestAnimationFrame

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i still want a genuine 219 handcrafted box

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CamH posted:

ahh yes dont make mistakes, the classic response of a idiot hell fucker

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Bloody posted:

i still want a genuine 219 handcrafted box

if I get you as a secret Santa I'll build you a box

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
welp so i made my octopus thing, works as i suspected and looks stupid and hard to control

made a cool smoke/exhuast from it though

might post vid later

but then got thinking about procedurally adding meshes and physics constraints. the constraints are what allowed the arms to flop around
and so i got this idea i had years ago, i want to make a tree simulator

so i am currently distracted and did a quick trial to see if concept will work and i think it will. so far it starts with one branch and adds 16 or so all in straight line but they move around a bit like a branch

now i just need it to actually make branches, according to a set of criteria, then start to make seeds or something and inseminate other plants
and have a gene sysem

a long time dream has been an evolution simulator. a game that is half game half screen saver

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

echinopsis posted:

welp so i made my octopus thing, works as i suspected and looks stupid and hard to control

made a cool smoke/exhuast from it though

might post vid later

but then got thinking about procedurally adding meshes and physics constraints. the constraints are what allowed the arms to flop around
and so i got this idea i had years ago, i want to make a tree simulator

so i am currently distracted and did a quick trial to see if concept will work and i think it will. so far it starts with one branch and adds 16 or so all in straight line but they move around a bit like a branch

now i just need it to actually make branches, according to a set of criteria, then start to make seeds or something and inseminate other plants
and have a gene sysem

a long time dream has been an evolution simulator. a game that is half game half screen saver

SimEarth?

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

ahmeni posted:

ahh yes dont make mistakes, the classic response of a idiot hell fucker

yeah but its true

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Fax Sender posted:

yeah but its true

yeah i was being serious

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
how do i tell if my program has an infinite loop in it

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

coffeetable posted:

drop a drop of water in it and if it boils up and pops then its hot enough to fry with

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

coffeetable posted:

it should
gently caress up appropriately

yeah but was sim earth physics based?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have so many dreams but the reality is a combination of the reality being more disappointing than the dream and being harder to implement too

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

echinopsis posted:

it should
gently caress up appropriately
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also to be clear I generally hate the whole "physics based" as if it's a replacement for
actually gameplay

in my case though it's necessary to compensate for lack of actual gameplay