Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

Knifegrab posted:

SLI is such a poo poo show though since it requires the developers to make extra effort and 9/10 its just wasted potential. You don't think a single 970 will be able to keep up?

Elite has SLI support built in as of beta 2 and they're planning on keeping it maintained forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Rotation Confusion posted:

Elite has SLI support built in as of beta 2 and they're planning on keeping it maintained forever

Well drat, I'll have to wait then I can't run SLI on my current mobo and I told myself I was going to wait to do a new system build till the new intel cpu architecture was actually out... maybe its time I... sped this process up...

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Knifegrab posted:

So question, will the twin frozr msi 970 be able to support DK2 games at high settings? Basically I want to play elite dangerous on high settings on my dk2 without it lagging like all get out, and my current card can no longer cut the mustard. And my understanding is that twin frozr is still the gold standard for non-reference.
I don't know much about Elite in particular, but I'd be surprised if a single 970 wasn't enough. The DK2 is only 1080p.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
gently caress it I'm gonna pick up a 970 and get a second one sometime down the road. The twin frozr is still the best one to grab right?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rotation Confusion posted:

The new VR-SLI? Or just normal SLI? Got a link?

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Ralith posted:

I don't know much about Elite in particular, but I'd be surprised if a single 970 wasn't enough. The DK2 is only 1080p.

it's pretty messy and unoptimized and you need to hit 75hz on 2 different draws for it to not be annoying

The retail version will probably be ok with a 970 (that's entirely a guess) but DK2 is currently a "works great if you way over drive it" situation (edit:) and if that doesn't clean up then SLI at retail wouldn't surprise me

Rotation Confusion fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 30, 2014

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Does this look like a good 970 to pick up?

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-970-GAMING-4G/dp/B00NN0GEXQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1412036304&sr=8-7&keywords=nvidia+970

I am really poo poo at knowing these kinds of things.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Knifegrab posted:

Does this look like a good 970 to pick up?

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-970-GAMING-4G/dp/B00NN0GEXQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1412036304&sr=8-7&keywords=nvidia+970

I am really poo poo at knowing these kinds of things.

That's the one everyone is referring to when they say they're getting the MSI card, so yes.

The Asus: http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-STRIX-GTX970-DC20C-4GD5-Graphics-Cards/dp/B00NJ9BJ8G/
The Gigabyte: http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Graphics-GV-N970G1-GAMING-4GD/dp/B00NH5T1MS/

Everyone seems to agree that the EVGA card is the worst of the lot.

Winks fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 30, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Both SLI and Crossfire cause massive performance issues on the DK2, to the point that Oculus does not recommend using either.

If you're in here telling people that SLI will be awesome on their DK2, you're an rear end.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Er not intentionally? SLI for retail oculus not DK2, but yea that was worded ambiguously; I'll clean that up

Rotation Confusion fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 30, 2014

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
What should I get to drive the 8k screen on the CV2? So far my plan is to get like twelve 980s and duct tape them to my cat and hope for the best.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fajita Fiesta posted:

What should I get to drive the 8k screen on the CV2? So far my plan is to get like twelve 980s and duct tape them to my cat and hope for the best.

nVidia Pascal with on-package stacked DRAM and NVLink mezzanine connector.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I'd just go dual-cat, personally.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Well which 970 is better the MSI or the ASUS?

Kornjaca
Mar 19, 2007

spasticColon posted:

Well which 970 is better the MSI or the ASUS?

According to the MSI forum mod:

"Re: MSI GTX 970 fan issue
« Reply #100 on: Yesterday at 19:48:06 »
MSI is aware of this issue. And I hope they will do something about this, otherwise this series or this card will be their failure, at least for the first week/s since release. :undecided:

I can't say anything about this,apart from the fact I feel sorry for you and obviously I'd be frustrated like you being unable to use the card normally. My luck is I never went for just released series of GPU/motherboards."

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.100

I like how enthusiastic the moderator is regarding the future of the 9XX series/card is, and especially how he indirectly advises the customers not to buy MSI's newly released products.. on MSI forums. You just don't get pr like this anymore.

So to answer your question, I have no idea which card is better, but I would stay away from MSI for the time being, at least until they fix the fan issue.

Kornjaca fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 30, 2014

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Just because things weren't fun enough already, Anandtech reports that EVGA is working on a new video BIOS that shuts off the fans at idle. If that pans out, perhaps it won't be such a bad decision either, though it seems it'll still be louder at load.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
So should I return the EVGA or the MSI? I was going to return the EVGA, but I am really not sure any more. I was just playing battlefield 4 campaign with the MSI in "gaming" mode using the gaming app and after maybe 1-2 hours this error popped up:

Not sure what it means, but all my transparent bits and stuff in windows were all messed up and I had to restart to fix it. Is this just a driver issue? all the stuff I've read about the error seem to suggest it has to do with overclocking, or even factory over-clocked things?

I am really hoping it is a driver issue though, since both of the cards are factory overclocked..

e: the gaming mode setting is apparently just the factory overclocked settings? (No change)

Skwee fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 30, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Battlefield 4 is even more spaghetti-code than normal EA games (which aren't exactly bastions of coding rigor themselves) and you probably shouldn't blame a CTD in that game on any card you use to play it.

Now if it happens in other games you might have actual issues.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Battlefield 4 is even more spaghetti-code than normal EA games (which aren't exactly bastions of coding rigor themselves) and you probably shouldn't blame a CTD in that game on any card you use to play it.

I don't really have time right now to test other games, but I assume it is probably just Battlefield 4 since when I google that issue without a game title, all of the results involve battlefield 3 or 4.

Still curious about which card I should return, since i have the evga and the msi. I was originally going to return the evga since I heard all the negative responses to it, and so I ordered the msi which got here today, but now apparently that has a problem with fans going full tilt after you leave games

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Skwee posted:

I don't really have time right now to test other games, but I assume it is probably just Battlefield 4 since when I google that issue without a game title, all of the results involve battlefield 3 or 4.

Still curious about which card I should return, since i have the evga and the msi. I was originally going to return the evga since I heard all the negative responses to it, and so I ordered the msi which got here today, but now apparently that has a problem with fans going full tilt after you leave games

How loud is the EVGA at full tilt compared to the MSI at full tilt?

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

GreatGreen posted:

How loud is the EVGA at full tilt compared to the MSI at full tilt?

Neither of them were really noticeable when I was gaming since the volume of the game is louder than the coolers. Both cards kept the temp around 60 celsius as well.

"Temperatures for all three cards are great, with delta T results below 50°C in every case. The MSI and ASUS cards are the best two (the seemingly high idle results are due to the fans entering passive mode), and their coolers are also the quietest – under load, both were virtually inaudible. EVGA's cooler isn't quite as effective, and is a touch louder too. This is to be expected given its smaller dimensions, and to be clear it's still a quiet cooler – air noise won't be a distraction using this card."

from here: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/13

It is a bit louder apparently, but I don't think that means it is loud, just not quite as quiet as the others.

I've said this before I think: these cards load fan noise is quieter than my old 5870s idle fan noise, so to me it feels like they aren't running hard enough, even though they are working just fine.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 30, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

I felt they really, really polished it up probably 1/3 through this year. It was so consistent for me and seemingly fairly efficient (subjectively) I used it to compare all my setups. It was pretty bad at first though. But maybe it was just me, and on one hand I was doing all of the testing really on Intel + nvidia too if that's something. I actually bought it when I had a Phenon II + 6870 I believe and it had all sorts of retarded problems but that was early on too so

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

I mean, a videocard shouldn't hang no matter what the software does to it. Imagine if a WebGL script submitted the same commands that Battlefield 4 did. That's just not okay.

Could easily still be an issue that normally only arises when software is doing terrible things, though. Even though it's ultimately either a hardware or driver bug responsible.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

1gnoirents posted:

I felt they really, really polished it up probably 1/3 through this year. It was so consistent for me and seemingly fairly efficient (subjectively) I used it to compare all my setups. It was pretty bad at first though. But maybe it was just me, and on one hand I was doing all of the testing really on Intel + nvidia too if that's something. I actually bought it when I had a Phenon II + 6870 I believe and it had all sorts of retarded problems but that was early on too so

Maybe it was because I was playing campaign? It seems far less polished than multiplayer.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Gotta say, as nice as the 'silent fan' thing on the MSI sounds, I don't like a GPU that idles in the high 50s, even if MSI swears up and down this thing can exist at 60C almost indefinitely. I'll live with rotating fans and a 39-40C 'normal' running temperature (like running Hearthstone/low-cap stuff), and a ~32C idle. I also had my first driver 'quit and recover,' but I'm willing to chalk it up to a fluke since I popped out my eVGA and dropped in my MSI without reinstalling drivers. If it happens again or persists I'll do a fresh driver install.

I should note also that ~40% fan speed is drat near silent, or at least can't be heard over the other case fans.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 30, 2014

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Gotta say, as nice as the 'silent fan' thing on the MSI sounds, I don't like a GPU that idles in the high 50s. I'll live with rotating fans and a 39-40C 'normal' running temperature. I also had my first driver 'quit and recover,' but I'm willing to chalk it up to a fluke.

I should note also that ~40% fan speed is drat near silent, or at least can't be heard over the other case fans.

using the msi afterburner chart thing these are my idle temps for the last idk however long msi afterburners little chart thing goes for. (The maxes are from earlier when I was gaming)

fan speed:

I've been just doing stuff in illustrator and watching youtube videos and stuff during this period

e: I guess my case would affect the temp though. The 500r has a 200 mm fan in the side blowing on the card. But would it affect it by 20 degrees?

Skwee fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 30, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, I also tried out their "Gaming App," and found it wholly useless save for a function that toggles your fans up to 100% in a metered burst for a quicker cooldown. Also, don't download the version on MSI's website - for some reason the only version of it, despite its uselessness, that works with the 970/980s at present is the one on the CD they give you - they haven't uploaded the newest version to their website.

It also doesn't play very nicely with Afterburner. Every time you change to a new 'mode' it launches a temporary new instance of Afterburner in your system tray that you have to mouse-over to get rid of. At least it doesn't auto-start with Windows.

And yeah, right now I'm at 31C and the fans are still running at 40%. I normally have a circulating fan on in my study that I've grown accustomed to drowning out, and it masks the sound of my open case (always run a new or 'new-ish' build open for the first few days) currently 2-3 feet from my ears, and I can't hear a thing. And this is with seven 140mm fans - five in the case, and two on the HSF.

When I move the box to its fixed spot and button everything up, I doubt I'll ever hear it.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 30, 2014

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, I also tried out their "Gaming App," and found it wholly useless save for a function that toggles your fans up to 100% in a metered burst for a quicker cooldown. Also, don't download the version on MSI's website - for some reason the only version of it, despite its uselessness, that works with the 970/980s at present is the one on the CD they give you - they haven't uploaded the newest version to their website.

And yeah, right now I'm at 31C and the fans are still running at 40%. I normally have a circulating fan on in my study that I've grown accustomed to drowning out, and it masks the sound of my open case (always run a new or 'new-ish' build open for the first few days) currently 2-3 feet from my ears, and I can't hear a thing. And this is with seven 140mm fans - five in the case, and two on the HSF.

When I move the box to its fixed spot and button everything up, I doubt I'll ever hear it.

Yeah I found that out about the gaming app. Pretty neat feature to max the fan, but probably wont use any of the other things.

So you are just using a custom fan curve on the msi card then? I just tried it out and yeah definitely cannot hear the fan at 40% but since the card already idles around 30-33 with the fan off I don't really need it. With it on the card goes down to 28, but I don't think I need it that low

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Skwee posted:

So you are just using a custom fan curve on the msi card then? I just tried it out and yeah definitely cannot hear the fan at 40% but since the card already idles around 30-33 with the fan off I don't really need it. With it on the card goes down to 28, but I don't think I need it that low

I'm using the stock fan curve, because every time I try to set a custom one or change what's already there, it tosses out:

"CTaskSchedulerInterface::AddTask failed with error code -22!"

I've just got the slider maxed at 100 with "User Defined" enabled. I'd even say I can stand the sound of the fans at 100%. My 'benchmark' for a loud fan is the 5800's notorious leaf-blower or - and this'll date me - Delta's old 120x38mm 'high flow' fans.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 30, 2014

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm using the stock fan curve, because every time I try to set a custom one or change what's already there, it tosses out:

"CTaskSchedulerInterface::AddTask failed with error code -22!"

I've just got the slider maxed at 100 with "User Defined" enabled. I'd even say I can stand the sound of the fans at 100%. My 'benchmark' for a loud fan is the 5800's notorious leaf-blower or - and this'll date me - Delta's old 120x38mm 'high flow' fans.

100% on the msi sounds almost as loud as the setting I used when I played games using my HD 5870 (70%) that is pretty hilarious.

Kind of want to check what the evga acx 1.0 cooler sounds like now, (after trying this one) but i already boxed it up to ship back

Skwee fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 30, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Skwee posted:

Kind of want to check what the evga acx 1.0 cooler sounds like now, (after trying this one) but i already boxed it up to ship back

Based on what I remember, the fans on the ACX 1.0 generally were at around 25-30% at idle and sounded comparable to the MSI's at 40%.

Also, I figured out how to kill the error code - I had to set Afterburner to run with Admin privileges. I can set proper fan curves now.

And for people still hunting: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gigabyte-releases-geforce-gtx-970-windforce-oc-graphics-card.html

Gigabyte's page: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5212#ov

Kind of blends the best of both worlds - the 6+8 power of the MSI with the Gigabyte cooler, plus three DP ports, if you can believe the release. Evidently clocked a bit lower than Gigabyte's 'Gaming' SKU. Nice alternative to the PNY for multi-DisplayPort, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 30, 2014

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Kornjaca posted:

According to the MSI forum mod:

"Re: MSI GTX 970 fan issue
« Reply #100 on: Yesterday at 19:48:06 »
MSI is aware of this issue. And I hope they will do something about this, otherwise this series or this card will be their failure, at least for the first week/s since release. :undecided:

I can't say anything about this,apart from the fact I feel sorry for you and obviously I'd be frustrated like you being unable to use the card normally. My luck is I never went for just released series of GPU/motherboards."

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.100

I like how enthusiastic the moderator is regarding the future of the 9XX series/card is, and especially how he indirectly advises the customers not to buy MSI's newly released products.. on MSI forums. You just don't get pr like this anymore.

So to answer your question, I have no idea which card is better, but I would stay away from MSI for the time being, at least until they fix the fan issue.

Worth noting that the mods are not MSI employees as far as I can tell.

I reported this issue Thursday last week. After rolling back to 344.11 I ran into the issue where the main fan didn't spin even tho it was supposed to be doing 100%, a nudge made it run "normally".

I then reinstalled 344.16 and haven't had any issues since. I haven't tried flashing the BIOS.

And to the temperature discussion. Mine idles in the low 30's at just about the same temps as the motherboard. I really wouldn't worry about having the fans running at idle - unless of course that alleviates the other problems. Should note that I have a 350D with 2 front 140mm fans, but they don't really go aboive 7-800 rpms.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Looking around the net all 900 series cards had fan problems with the old drivers. Which is why NVidia pushed out a new driver a couple hours after release. If you just use 344.16 you shouldn't have problems.

Also it amuses me that you consider 50 under idle to be hot considering that the reference models run at 80c, as have graphics cards for years. A card that does 60c under load is very chilly.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
yeah graphics cards these days seem super fancy to me with their quiet coolers and low temps. like wow the load temperature on this thing is 10 degrees cooler than the idle temperature on my old thing while also being quieter under load than my last cards idle noise. It's just completely better in every way I could imagine. People who build this stuff are smart

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

BurritoJustice posted:

Looking around the net all 900 series cards had fan problems with the old drivers. Which is why NVidia pushed out a new driver a couple hours after release. If you just use 344.16 you shouldn't have problems.

Also it amuses me that you consider 50 under idle to be hot considering that the reference models run at 80c, as have graphics cards for years. A card that does 60c under load is very chilly.

I said I rolled back to 344.11, that was because I was having a problem not because I thought that would be an awesome idea.

It could be that I nudged the fan just right, it could be that some specific order of uninstalling and reinstalling fixed it - or I could just haven been lucky these last two days that the problems have not returned yet and that they will as soon as I start playing Shadow of Mordor (after work).

When it works it is a very good cooler, can barely hear it and stays just over 60c in high workloads. Does BF4 in 2560x1440 Ultra (2*AA instead of 4*) at 70+ fps.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Based on what I remember, the fans on the ACX 1.0 generally were at around 25-30% at idle and sounded comparable to the MSI's at 40%.

Also, I figured out how to kill the error code - I had to set Afterburner to run with Admin privileges. I can set proper fan curves now.

And for people still hunting: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gigabyte-releases-geforce-gtx-970-windforce-oc-graphics-card.html

Gigabyte's page: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5212#ov

Kind of blends the best of both worlds - the 6+8 power of the MSI with the Gigabyte cooler, plus three DP ports, if you can believe the release. Evidently clocked a bit lower than Gigabyte's 'Gaming' SKU. Nice alternative to the PNY for multi-DisplayPort, though.

3x displayport is exactly what I want :D

How noisy is this card, though? Are there any reviews out?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Honestly I don't think any of the cards are going to sound like rocket engines. You gotta remember that "noisy" is relative. People panicked about the evga cooler because it was benchmarked 10-20% louder than the Msi one or something, but that's still 10-20% louder than practically silent. These coolers are really well made, Your other case fans and drives will probably be making far more noise. As will your speakers. You know, when you play that game which is making the fans spin.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
My current card is an asus 6870 which I carried over from my last system and is stupidly loud compared to the rest of my pc. I was going to go with the msi 970 but after reading about the fan issues would going with gigabyte or asus be a better option?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

AirRaid posted:

Honestly I don't think any of the cards are going to sound like rocket engines. You gotta remember that "noisy" is relative. People panicked about the evga cooler because it was benchmarked 10-20% louder than the Msi one or something, but that's still 10-20% louder than practically silent. These coolers are really well made, Your other case fans and drives will probably be making far more noise. As will your speakers. You know, when you play that game which is making the fans spin.

The difference is more in the realm of "twice as loud" from TechPowerUp's benchmarks, but the EVGA card is still pretty quiet in an absolute sense, yeah.

Edit: ^^ in your case I'd definitely go for the ASUS. Semi passive mode is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

AirRaid posted:

It's definitely subjective. After using a 6970 for three years I think nothing can be louder than AMD's stock blower cards. Even with a custom fan curve it still sounded like a ramjet when playing demanding games. The 780 DCII I now have is pure bliss in comparison.