Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SirKibbles posted:

Dan Patrick, noted crazy person and Texas Lieutenant Governor frontrunner also thinks rape and incest exceptions are things to be debated and not something that would justify women taking up arms, oh excuse me exercising their 2nd amendment rights.

I certainly hope Battleground Texas can get its GOTV together, but I don't think it's that likely.

And my amusement over the California thing aside, he didn't quite Akin himself in the debate (although "I care about women, if they're five month old babies" wasn't bad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

( "I care about women, if they're five month old babies" wasn't bad).

Unless they're Mexican. then gently caress 'em! What if there were only one seat left at UT and the child of an illegal got it because the Democrats let them pay in-state tuition?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

VitalSigns posted:

Unless they're Mexican. then gently caress 'em! What if there were only one seat left at UT and the child of an illegal got it because the Democrats let them pay in-state tuition?

Which doesn't even make sense because even if we accept this completely dumb scenario most freshmen drop out after the first semester so at best they'd have to wait a semester and then get it in. Which would be ironically good for letting them save up a little money and figure out what it is specifically that they want to do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Dan Patrick, noted crazy person and Texas Lieutenant Governor frontrunner, after repeatedly accusing his opponent of wanting to turn Texas into California, accidentally proposed that tax increases be subject to public referendum.

By the way this is already the case, sort of. Per the state constitution, in order to enact an income tax, 2/3 of the electorate must vote yes in a referendum. There's really only one state controlled tax on the public, and that's part of the sales tax. Property tax increases are at the local level, and the franchise tax is only a few years old and has never even suggested to have been raised. His constituency hears that and thinks that it will affect federal income tax rates somehow.

I don't know when the last time a tax was raised in this state.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How about Dan Patrick's proposal to take care of apartment dwellers by giving the owners of their buildings additional recourse against higher property tax assessments?

Because we all know, when property values go up, if we keep property taxes low, apartment owners will pass those savings on to you! They certainly won't use the hot real estate market in their area to jack rents regardless and sell to the high-income gentrifiers that are moving into the area!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

His education policy scares me much more. He's no different from Standard Republican Man when it comes to fiscal politics.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

zoux posted:

His education policy scares me much more. He's no different from Standard Republican Man when it comes to fiscal politics.

Texas right wing education seems to be purposely trying to make people dumber, making them easier to trick and isolating them from the rest of the country that rightfully says what the hell when they try and claim Moses wrote the constitution. That's getting a little presumptuous I admit.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

SirKibbles posted:

Texas right wing education seems to be purposely trying to make people dumber, making them easier to trick and isolating them from the rest of the country that rightfully says what the hell when they try and claim Moses wrote the constitution. That's getting a little presumptuous I admit.

I don't think it's too radical of a view to take considering the following:

"Republican Party of Texas 2012 platform posted:

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

The original document is linked in the article (couldn't get a direct link to the document to work).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Patrick, as chair of the Education Committee, is also the author of the massive curriculum program change that is going into effect this fall. I can go into the (boring) specifics if anyone cares but suffice it to say it's replacing a system that was showing results with one that's a complete disaster.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

zoux posted:

Patrick, as chair of the Education Committee, is also the author of the massive curriculum program change that is going into effect this fall. I can go into the (boring) specifics if anyone cares but suffice it to say it's replacing a system that was showing results with one that's a complete disaster.

We're all horribly goony politics nuts here you might as well do it.

Also after watching the two debates man are Texas Dems awful there's no spine there. How hard is we support gun rights, the government actually doing stuff ,and businesses paying their part for what they get from Texas hard to sell? Like hell even basic stuff like when Dan Patrick admitted that education costs went up because they cut taxes during an economic downturn,perfect opportunity to drive home the point that cutting taxes isn't always the solution but nothing ughhhhh. Like how do we get competent people in the Democratic party?

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 30, 2014

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

zoux posted:

Yes, please do

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, we used to go on a 4x4 system, so named because you had to have four years of four key subjects (Math, science, english, social studies). The new system lets people trade out a science course for a STEM course or a math course or whatever. It's intended to let kids tailor their high school education to help them get workforce or college ready, but if you don't pick the right endorsement path as a freshman, you can gently caress yourself when it comes to what you do after you graduate, and there is no way to change paths. Colleges go, hmmm you skipped Biology for Computer Programming or whatever so that hurts your entrance chances. So you get 14 year old kids basically locking themselves into a future. Our accountablility system is also terrible, they change the standardized test requirements every other year it seems and last session they cut in half the number of end of course exams intended to gauge student process. That's harder to lay at the feet of Patrick though, or even the Republican party as it was mostly parents going :qq: it's too hard for our pwecious babies to do tests :qq:

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

zoux posted:

Well, we used to go on a 4x4 system, so named because you had to have four years of four key subjects (Math, science, english, social studies). The new system lets people trade out a science course for a STEM course or a math course or whatever. It's intended to let kids tailor their high school education to help them get workforce or college ready, but if you don't pick the right endorsement path as a freshman, you can gently caress yourself when it comes to what you do after you graduate, and there is no way to change paths. Colleges go, hmmm you skipped Biology for Computer Programming or whatever so that hurts your entrance chances. So you get 14 year old kids basically locking themselves into a future. Our accountablility system is also terrible, they change the standardized test requirements every other year it seems and last session they cut in half the number of end of course exams intended to gauge student process. That's harder to lay at the feet of Patrick though, or even the Republican party as it was mostly parents going :qq: it's too hard for our pwecious babies to do tests :qq:

The core curriculum requirements for college students changed too. One change that came to mind that instead of taking a composition class, you can take an communication class instead. So if you are a science/math person starting out school, opt to take the composition courses, because you'll make your classmates seem like illiterate morons by comparison (because they probably are).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dante Logos posted:

The core curriculum requirements for college students changed too. One change that came to mind that instead of taking a composition class, you can take an communication class instead. So if you are a science/math person starting out school, opt to take the composition courses, because you'll make your classmates seem like illiterate morons by comparison (because they probably are).

I don't think that had anything to do with the Legislature though.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

zoux posted:

I don't think that had anything to do with the Legislature though.

You're correct but I would say that this is a part of a collective concept of education shared by the Texas GOP. So whether it is through an appointed position or through the Legislature, they will gently caress up education until it is in their image.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SirKibbles posted:

We're all horribly goony politics nuts here you might as well do it.

Also after watching the two debates man are Texas Dems awful there's no spine there. How hard is we support gun rights, the government actually doing stuff ,and businesses paying their part for what they get from Texas hard to sell? Like hell even basic stuff like when Dan Patrick admitted that education costs went up because they cut taxes during an economic downturn,perfect opportunity to drive home the point that cutting taxes isn't always the solution but nothing ughhhhh. Like how do we get competent people in the Democratic party?

VDP only really soft-pedaled the third of those, though? She wants to tap the fund that is entirely composed of businesses paying fees for what they get from Texas, for a pretty cool education program.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

VDP only really soft-pedaled the third of those, though? She wants to tap the fund that is entirely composed of businesses paying fees for what they get from Texas, for a pretty cool education program.

They only really talked about the 3rd in the VDP debate though? I'm talking about both the Davis and VDP debates and generally what the Dems are doing messaging wise.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SirKibbles posted:

They only really talked about the 3rd in the VDP debate though? I'm talking about both the Davis and VDP debates and generally what the Dems are doing messaging wise.

I don't think "angry liberal women" would sell as well in Texas as you'd like. And that's how any amount of emotion or forceful speaking will get used.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't think "angry liberal women" would sell as well in Texas as you'd like.

Well it was essentially how Davis and VDP rose to national prominence so they might try to dance with the one what brung you rather than whatever worthless bullshit campaign they've been running.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Well it was essentially how Davis and VDP rose to national prominence so they might try to dance with the one what brung you rather than whatever worthless bullshit campaign they've been running.

Maybe that's what gave them national prominence but neither of them were known for that in Texas politics. Neither of them are firebrands and honestly even the filibuster wasn't a firebrand one.

Not everyone can be an Ann Richard.

Edit: Besides compared to Bell, VDP and Davis are pure piss and vinegar.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh Davis was for sure.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Uh Davis was for sure.

Uh, not really? She's known for picking fights on moderate issues (like education) and comes from a non-partisan position as her first elected office. Like I said, compared to Bell et al she seems super-energetic.

If you'd watched the filibuster you'd know it wasn't some long take-down speech filled with rhetorical flourish.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actually she picks fights on everything, shows up to committees she's not on to grill witnesses and generally stood out as the only true liberal on the Senate Floor.

n.m I'm being rude but, yeah I have seen the filibuster.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 30, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Actually she picks fights on everything, shows up to committees she's not on to grill witnesses and generally stood out as the only true liberal on the Senate Floor.

n.m I'm being rude but, yeah I have seen the filibuster.

There's a big difference between being able to grill witnesses as a state senator and being able to challenge your opponent on live TV without it backfiring. Maybe the Davis campaign is overly concerned about that, but truthfully the campaign has been worthless since the beginning because no D had a chance to win with the current TDP.

I had a feeling you'd were up late that night, I'm just being rude because I'm bitter that two good politicians are about to lose big .

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 30, 2014

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I wish Kinky Friedman would run again.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Randandal posted:

Yeah because last time he ran it helped Rick Perry win reelection with <50% of the vote.

I've been bitter since the "dream team" if you can't tell.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah because last time he ran it helped Rick Perry win reelection with <50% of the vote.

I've been bitter since the "dream team" if you can't tell.

Why is it his fault and not Carole Keeton Strayhorn?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Why is it his fault and not Carole Keeton Strayhorn?

Because Grandma sapped mostly conservative voters and Kinky mainly sapped liberals.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Randandal posted:

He ran for Ag Commissioner this time but lost the primary. Close second, lost the runoff.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Randandal posted:

I wish he'd run again too, into a bus.

How anyone could even ironically support him is beyond me, especially after the debate where he whipped out his "Politics is made up of poly and ticks, that means multiple blood sucking insects" line, and in general not having a good answer to any of the questions.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sardonik posted:

I wish he'd run again too, into a bus.

How anyone could even ironically support him is beyond me, especially after the debate where he whipped out his "Politics is made up of poly and ticks, that means multiple blood sucking insects" line, and in general not having a good answer to any of the questions.

Have you heard the good word? The Jewish Cowboy supports legalizing pot!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The critical questions being asked already in the debate, which of you two will cure Ebola?!

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Wendy Davis really nailing Abbott hard on his '4-year olds need standardized tests.' Greg's rebuttal: i encourage you to go to gregabbott.com and look at my education plan.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I wish people gave a poo poo enough to know how scummy Greg really is.

"Well you see at the time it was confidential"

"But it didn't exist"

"Well there was a letter that was kinda like it soooooooo"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Someone please post if Greg Abbott calls Davis a bitch or something, because otherwise this is probably one of the least important things happening in the state tonight.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Given the fierce questions and times the candidates get called out, I think I see why republicans don't like debating in Texas. :v:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Badger of Basra posted:

Someone please post if Greg Abbott calls Davis a bitch or something, because otherwise this is probably one of the least important things happening in the state tonight.

Pretty much, this is gonna be a typical boring 'he's a jerk' 'nah she's a jerk' debate completely overshadowed by, ya know, big things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh my god.

"Shouldn't we be spending at least the national average?"

"SHOULDN'T WE BE SPENDING WAY LESS?!"

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

We need to create the best school system in the world, and then fund it. :downs:

E: Holy poo poo, Wendy is bring the heat. Though she's going over.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sardonik posted:

E: Holy poo poo, Wendy is bring the heat. Though she's going over.

She isn't pulling any punches, that's for sure. Abbott is rolling with them pretty well by just ignoring them, though.