Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
During the ocelot fight you can have an old fashioned western duel with him as well if you have the six shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

During the Sorrow fight you can also laugh in his smug face if you have a no-kill run. Total Sorrow boss-time: 30 seconds :smug:

Other neat things about MGS3 in particular: If you tranq an animal, you don't pick up food rations, you pick up that animal itself. You can use this to keep animals for longer, then kill them later so that you have food which doesn't spoil. You can also drop these animals, and they'll just drop the animal itself into the game world, alive and kicking. You can also throw the animals, so you can tranquilize a venomous snake and then throw it at guards :haw:

You can also do the same with certain toads which, when thrown during the Vulgin fight, act as lightning rods for his electricity blasts. They won't hit you, they'll hit the frog! This kills the frog however, so it only works once--but when the frog dies, it leaves behind food rations.

The silliest thing is the fork, however. You get it from the prison cell, sure, but from then on out you have a melee replacement that is a fork. It doesn't do much damage, but if you stab an animal with it, you kill and eat it immediately. No menu shuffling, no rations. You just straight eat the thing.

Just imagine Snake in the middle of a river, chowing down on an entire alligator in one sitting, using only a fork.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Speaking of MGS, 2 has some awesome little hints early on that something very weird is going on here. When Campbell gives you the rundown on how the Codec works, he uses the exact same speech from MGS1...except once, when he screws up.

Campbell, MGS1 posted:

When you want to use the codec push the Select button. When we need to contact you the codec will beep.

Campbell, MGS2 posted:

When you want to use the Codec, push the SELECT button. When we need to reach you...contact you, the Codec will beep.

There's also places arranged so that they show up on the radar looking exactly like some places in the first. When I first played it, I noticed that and thought it was just a fun little easter egg.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Can you explain the significance of those things?

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Campbell is a robot

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Elysiume posted:

Raiden was a child soldier pushed through a series of training exercises meant to recreate the events of MGS1, to recreate the Perfect Soldier (ie: solid snake)

The colonel is actually an AI, not the real colonel, which goes insane later. That discrepancy in the script is its first fuckup

As for the maps, the mission Raiden is on is actually just an extension of the perfect soldier training--so the whole point is Raiden basically being test-driven by the patriots, to see if he can step up in a real world scenario, no just VR

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Elysiume posted:

The main theme of MGS2 is imitation and repetition of a memetic construct (a classic and popular game Metal Gear Solid). Without spoilering most of the plot, the protagonist is explicitly groomed to be the perfect soldier just as Solid Snake, the protagonist of the previous games, and a lot of details, especially the most bizarre ones, highlight that.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Cool, thanks. Never had a Playstation so I never got into the series.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Speaking of MGS2, one of the rooms on the ship has an ice bucket. If you knock the bucket over the ice will melt realistically. The coding for that was done solely for that one instance.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I never played any of the Metal Gear games, but after reading here about so many little things throughout the series, I've begun watching Chip Cheezum's Let's Plays and am enjoying them immensely. Even the earliest games had what we'd now call typical Kojima touches. I look forward to seeing what he'll do with del Toro on Silent Hills.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

One that a lot of people know, but is so stupidly specific that it bears repeating: If you kill a soldier in a mountain area, and a vulture starts eating him, and then you kill that vulture, and then eat it, later on when you're fighting The Sorrow, that soldier will yell out "YOU ATE ME!"

My favorite thing about The Sorrow fight is if you kill a guy by shooting him in the dick, his ghost will have both hands placed over his crotch while he bemoans how useless he is.

On my next playthrough I did a dick-shot only run.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Speaking of MGS2, one of the rooms on the ship has an ice bucket. If you knock the bucket over the ice will melt realistically. The coding for that was done solely for that one instance.

The prologue Tanker chapter is filled with that stuff because it was made to showcase the game on expos and in the demo.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

fatherboxx posted:

The prologue Tanker chapter is filled with that stuff because it was made to showcase the game on expos and in the demo.

It's also one of the only places in the game that you have cloth physics and dynamic shadows. They're in a few places on the tanker, but each of them is only used once on the Big Shell. :v:

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

SkeletonHero posted:

While fighting The End, if you set your clock ahead several days he'll die of old age. You can also snipe him right after he's introduced much earlier in the game and kill him then.

Since the bosses in MGS3 explode after they die, his wheelchair will land on you if you don't move.

Also, if you call Zero after shooting The End, he'll chew you out for disgracing such a legend and missing out on what would be a great fight.

Just got the Legacy collection recently and I can't wait to go through it all again. Anything I should know about Peace Walker?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Peace Walker has secret Monster Hunter missions in which you fight Monster Hunter dinosaurs who rarely drop Monster Hunter weapon parts to make Monster Hunter guns. Also if you have a ration with you, there's a campfire you can cook it on near the edge of the arena complete with the music and minigame from Monster Hunter. Cooked rations heal you for more than the highest quality researched rations do.

edit: You unlock this mission chain by going up to a cat from Monster Hunter that shows up in one area and using the "MEOW, MEOW, MEOW" codec communication option. Doing this also unlocks a special second "MEOW, MEOW, MEOW" that has a special effect that I can't remember.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

LumpyGumby posted:

Since the bosses in MGS3 explode after they die, his wheelchair will land on you if you don't move.

Also, if you call Zero after shooting The End, he'll chew you out for disgracing such a legend and missing out on what would be a great fight.

Just got the Legacy collection recently and I can't wait to go through it all again. Anything I should know about Peace Walker?

It's just the one wheel, if I remember correctly.

Peace walker is pretty fun and has some of the best combat controls in the series but has the downside of needing a little (thankfully not too much) R+D grinding in order to actually be able to beat the later bosses (particularly the last boss).
Also; don't underestimate the amount of poo poo hidden away in extra ops.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

LumpyGumby posted:

Kidnap everyone at first. The base management and R&D stuff is incredibly important and honestly it's half the game. If you don't fill up and keep trying to optimize your base, you'll hit a brick wall and miss out on some cool toys.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
There are a few points in MGS3 where the guards are stationed near food and ammo depots. You can sabotage the supply by setting off some TNT inside.

If you blow up the food stores, all guards will walk slower and loudly complain of hunger. They'll also be weaker, being knocked out in one punch.

If you blow up the ammo stores, all guards will only have 1-2 spare magazines for their AKs. After that, they'll switch to pistols, and eventually their backup knives. (Normally, guards will have lots of spare AK ammo.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Grunty Secret posted:

There are a few points in MGS3 where the guards are stationed near food and ammo depots. You can sabotage the supply by setting off some TNT inside.

If you blow up the food stores, all guards will walk slower and loudly complain of hunger. They'll also be weaker, being knocked out in one punch.

They'll also eat rotten food if you leave it out on their patrol routes.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They'll also eat rotten food if you leave it out on their patrol routes.

After they eat rotten food every few seconds they get cramps, distracting them and letting you run past/sneak up on them. If they eat poisonous food they just straight up die :haw:

We could practically have this thread be nothing but cool little details in Metal Gear, and now the series is going open world I can't even begin to imagine how many cool little things will be in Phantom Pain.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

My favorite thing about The Sorrow fight is if you kill a guy by shooting him in the dick, his ghost will have both hands placed over his crotch while he bemoans how useless he is.

On my next playthrough I did a dick-shot only run.

Because male genital mutilation and the anguish it causes are loving hilarious, right guys?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spalec posted:

After they eat rotten food every few seconds they get cramps, distracting them and letting you run past/sneak up on them. If they eat poisonous food they just straight up die :haw:

That's one of the best ways to beat The Fear, too. If you feed him poison he'll stop leaping around to barf and you can take off a good chunk of his health/stamina.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Praetorian Mage posted:

Because male genital mutilation and the anguish it causes are loving hilarious, right guys?

Correct.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Praetorian Mage posted:

Sorry about your accident.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bad Munki posted:

Sorry about your accident.
Praetorian magic sounds rough.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Praetorian Mage posted:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Yeah dick shots are hilarious. (except when it happens to me)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Praetorian Mage posted:

Don't do this. It won't end well for you.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Praetorian Mage posted:

Eh, 2/10 for this trolling effort. Are you even trying?

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Praetorian Mage posted:

But the ball! His groin! It works on so many levels!

oscarthewilde has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Sep 30, 2014

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Praetorian Mage posted:

I hope in MGS5 you can grab dudes by the junk and have your robot hand spin around like a drill and then fire their balls into OU-TER SPAAAACE!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

cobalt impurity posted:

I hope in MGS5 you can grab dudes by the junk and have your robot hand spin around like a drill and then fire their balls into OU-TER SPAAAACE!

I hope you can use the Fulton Recovery System on dismembered dicks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In MGS4 you can pat down people you hold up, ending in snake crushing their balls with his hands and knocking them out. There are some enemies though that are female and needless to say, trying to nut crush them doesn't work. It ends with them calling snake a pervert and kicking him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leal posted:

In MGS4 you can pat down people you hold up, ending in snake crushing their balls with his hands and knocking them out. There are some enemies though that are female and needless to say, trying to nut crush them doesn't work. It ends with them calling snake a pervert and kicking him.

God Hand has a Roulette Move (Special Moves) called the Ball Buster. It does not disappoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTiX1Fler90

Trying it on a female enemy, however, just results in nothing happening when it connects.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

God Hand has a Roulette Move (Special Moves) called the Ball Buster. It does not disappoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTiX1Fler90

Trying it on a female enemy, however, just results in nothing happening when it connects.

Trying it on the bosses Mr. Gold and Mr. Silver results in them laughing at you I believe.

Edit: My bad it isn't to both, only Mr. Silver who lost his balls in a war or something? http://godhandcapcom.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Gold_%26_Mr._Silver

Len has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Sep 30, 2014

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I was mucking about in the latest Dark Souls 2 DLC and got invaded by an NPC. I was expecting the guy to run up and try to face gently caress me as usual but the bastard used chameleon to turn into a barrel and popped out when I was inching towards a bloodstained chest.

Normally only dickish human invaders did stuff like that. And I thought the earlier DLC NPC phantoms waving was a nifty bit of added "humanity".

:darksouls:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Radio Paranoia posted:

I was mucking about in the latest Dark Souls 2 DLC and got invaded by an NPC. I was expecting the guy to run up and try to face gently caress me as usual but the bastard used chameleon to turn into a barrel and popped out when I was inching towards a bloodstained chest.

Normally only dickish human invaders did stuff like that. And I thought the earlier DLC NPC phantoms waving was a nifty bit of added "humanity".

:darksouls:

Some of the DLC invaders will also use the wood carvings to talk to you and will do gestures to taunt you if you get killed. :v:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Kimmalah posted:

Some of the DLC invaders will also use the wood carvings to talk to you and will do gestures to taunt you if you get killed. :v:

Pretty sure one of the invaders who killed me in the second DLC was an NPC, then it turned around and jumped off a cliff after I died.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
It's hardly a little thing but the Nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor is absolutely fantastic. How you fight the Uruk-hai captains affects what their weaknesses are. Say you take out a captain by burning him, the next time you see him he'll be burned and could potentially freak out over fire.

It really makes this game a lot of fun.

Dying to a grunt has consequences as well, they'll move up the chain of command. They can also taunt you and walk away instead of dealing a killing blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Smelly posted:

It's hardly a little thing but the Nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor is absolutely fantastic. How you fight the Uruk-hai captains affects what their weaknesses are. Say you take out a captain by burning him, the next time you see him he'll be burned and could potentially freak out over fire.

It really makes this game a lot of fun.

Dying to a grunt has consequences as well, they'll move up the chain of command. They can also taunt you and walk away instead of dealing a killing blow.

Wow, I didn't even know this game was even a thing until I saw this post, thanks.