Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

So it's just a normal thing then, good to know. 1GB sounds a bit much though, especially after I've restored it as a fresh device and only syncing contacts from iCloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
It's almost as if the 'Other' category is some catch all term Apple uses for a bunch of random poo poo on your phone. How strange!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How many hours per week do you folks spend cleaning out your C:\Windows or /private/var folders? :v:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

How many hours per week do you folks spend cleaning out your C:\Windows or /private/var folders? :v:

When it prevents simple app updates on a 32gb phone it requires some attention.

"Apps" is mainly Downcast and Spotify offline sync, so that's not what's in "Other"

maduin posted:

It's almost as if the 'Other' category is some catch all term Apple uses for a bunch of random poo poo on your phone. How strange!

Not listing what "Other" means without resorting to 3rd party software cleaners is poo poo.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

eames posted:

Since I can't find a dedicated iOS8 thread I'll ask here.
I'm trying to save a few pages to the reading list so I can view them offline while on a plane. It works but the articles always disappear from the list right after I first view them offline. Is there a way to keep the articles in the reading list until I manually delete them?

Hit "show all" in the lower right corner. It will show you the articles you've "read" and you can delete them from there if you'd like.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Not listing what "Other" means without resorting to 3rd party software cleaners is poo poo.

No point knowing when you can't do anything about 90% of it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Good lord it's like the wifi issue on my 6+ is slowly getting worse/more frequent.

Seriously annoying.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

noirstronaut posted:

Free Lightning cables through Verizon:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/apple-lightning-to-usb-cable/?null

Coupon: 4acc2014309

Seems too good to be be true, but worst case scenario, you spent no dollars on anything.

I must be completely blind but I don't see a spot to put in a discount code? Trying to order the cable via my iPhone at work so not sure if it's an issue with Safari.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

SourKraut posted:

I must be completely blind but I don't see a spot to put in a discount code? Trying to order the cable via my iPhone at work so not sure if it's an issue with Safari.

The code was taken down at some point early this morning.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Anandtech review of the 6 is up.

http://anandtech.com/show/8554/the-iphone-6-review

I decided to jump ship from Android this year mainly on the basis of the camera. The S5/G3 both had good-ish cameras but then you're stuck with a crap OEM skin and slow updates. The Moto X has got minimal skinning and fast updates, but a mediocre camera. Never want to touch another HTC again after the Thunderbolt, and no Nexus for me because I'm on Verizon.

Based on the camera comparisons here and my brief experiences so far over the last week of owning the 6, I'm pretty pleased with my decision.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

FCKGW posted:

When it prevents simple app updates on a 32gb phone it requires some attention.

"Apps" is mainly Downcast and Spotify offline sync, so that's not what's in "Other"

Hey there 'Other' buddy.

I fixed mine last night by doing a clean restore and starting from scratch. Fun!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
If one more person loving informs me that or asks me if my iPhone bends!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

gohmak posted:

I had 3 coworkers ask me this off the bat yesterday, it was infuriating. I had to sit down I was shaking so much.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
"IS IT BENT?"

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I had 3 coworkers ask me this off the bat yesterday, it was infuriating. I had to sit down I was shaking so much.

Don't do that, it'll cause it to bend.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

gohmak posted:

Does your iPhone bend?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
With Do Not Disturb how do I silence text messages/iMessages but not calls?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Go to do not disturb in settings and turn on "allow calls from everyone".

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to temporarily stop notifications from appearing on a screen?

My wife takes the iPad to class and she keeps getting banners from iMessage and mailbox, which is annoying for her. Is that what the "silence notifications" always (versus when locked) in do not disturb does?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

kitten smoothie posted:

The Anandtech review of the 6 is up.

http://anandtech.com/show/8554/the-iphone-6-review

I decided to jump ship from Android this year mainly on the basis of the camera. The S5/G3 both had good-ish cameras but then you're stuck with a crap OEM skin and slow updates. The Moto X has got minimal skinning and fast updates, but a mediocre camera. Never want to touch another HTC again after the Thunderbolt, and no Nexus for me because I'm on Verizon.

Based on the camera comparisons here and my brief experiences so far over the last week of owning the 6, I'm pretty pleased with my decision.

haha someone in the comments section wrote over 1,000 words talking about how terrible Apple is.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So why does the messages app allow you to enable DND for specific conversations, yet still allows every notification from that conversation to come through like normal? How do you make that feature actually work?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

No need to get so bent out of shape over it.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

There doesn't seem to be an iOS thread so I'll ask this here: has the iOS 8 podcast app broken chapter breaks in music podcasts for anyone else? Before 8, some music podcasts had chapter breaks and a dynamic image that would change depending on where you were in the podcast. Now chapter breaks are gone and only have a static image.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Contingency Plan posted:

There doesn't seem to be an iOS thread so I'll ask this here: has the iOS 8 podcast app broken chapter breaks in music podcasts for anyone else? Before 8, some music podcasts had chapter breaks and a dynamic image that would change depending on where you were in the podcast. Now chapter breaks are gone and only have a static image.

It may be the app, or the podcast maybe?. I just tried it out with the Podcast app in Drabblecast on my 5S 8.0.2. Chapters and dynamic images worked fine.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

gohmak posted:

Respond by betting them something valuable that they can't bend it.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'm 90% positive I'm keeping my Plus, but I'm curious how it works if I decide to exchange it for a 6. I bought it from Apple online using Bill Me Later/PayPal Credit. I don't believe they do Bill Me Later in store, so I'm curious if that complicates things.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I might switch to an iPhone for a year or two, but I don't want a 6. What would be the most cost-effective used option right now? A 5c?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Chemmy posted:

Go to do not disturb in settings and turn on "allow calls from everyone".

It says "no incoming calls or messages will be silenced" and then it keeps buzzing at me when I get a text message.

Maybe what I want is impossible? Basically at work if my phone rings I want it to vibrate, but I don't want vibration for any other alert.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

the littlest prince posted:

I might switch to an iPhone for a year or two, but I don't want a 6. What would be the most cost-effective used option right now? A 5c?

I'd almost go with a 5 instead, although you can find the 5S for less than $350 now. Regular iPhone 5 is going around $200-300

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Not that any of what I'm about to ask for help with is incredible important to me but I'm still very curious.

I haven't been a frequent Starbucks drinker since probably my iPhone 4 when I was using the app regularly. Now on my 6 with iOS 8 I've redownloaded the app and loaded some money into my digital card, etc. However, nothing pops up when I'm near my local Starbucks (I'm inside of it right now, actually). Isn't iBeacon or Passbook supposed to appear on the lock screen when I'm nearby? I just want these cool features on my cool new phone but it's not working I think I might stomp my feet.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Not that any of what I'm about to ask for help with is incredible important to me but I'm still very curious.

I haven't been a frequent Starbucks drinker since probably my iPhone 4 when I was using the app regularly. Now on my 6 with iOS 8 I've redownloaded the app and loaded some money into my digital card, etc. However, nothing pops up when I'm near my local Starbucks (I'm inside of it right now, actually). Isn't iBeacon or Passbook supposed to appear on the lock screen when I'm nearby? I just want these cool features on my cool new phone but it's not working I think I might stomp my feet.

My wife got a six and I got a six plus and we've noticed that I ALWAYS see those lock screen deals and she only SOMETIMES does.

(Not attributing it to the different models, just saying we both are on new devices that support that and it has been a little shoddy for her.)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Odd. On my 5 passbook worked extremely consistently for me and I've used it many times for concert and movie tickets and once at an out-of-state airport. Worked like a charm all those times.

iOS 8 :argh:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Double-check that the Starbucks app has location services on?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm pretty sure Passbook requires you to set some favorite locations that it will pop up in, but that may have changed for iOS 8. I haven't really used it, though, since the one I go to most is in my building, and it would just keep the card on the screen all day, which was annoying.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I thought there was that new iBeacon thing that was supposed to just put the app logo in the corner of your lock screen rather than showing up as a notification via location services. I live around the corner from my local Starbucks and also work upstairs from it and I was similarly annoyed at having the notification on my lock screen at all times.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Permissions are all there. Redownloaded the app. Nothing. Whatever.

Next topic: I'm sitting here looking at my iPhone 6 screen and it's already become a greasy fingerprint magnet. Oleophobic coating is gone, apparently. The screen is still really smooth to the touch, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

I'm pretty sure Passbook requires you to set some favorite locations that it will pop up in, but that may have changed for iOS 8. I haven't really used it, though, since the one I go to most is in my building, and it would just keep the card on the screen all day, which was annoying.

It's never worked for my grocery store reward card, I just assumed that the developers didn't bother adding store locations to the entry. I can't find a setting anywhere to make it work.

Compared to boarding passes, which just magically pop up an hour before I need them, it's pretty dumb.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

At least with Starbucks I think you still have to set a list of "favorite stores" that represent Passbook geofence triggers.

I've only had the Passbook card show up on the lock screen when I'm in a Starbucks if it was one on the list, even on iOS 8.

A Passbook pass can only have ten different geofence triggers associated with it.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 30, 2014

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

ShoogaSlim posted:

You have to set a favorite store location in the starbucks app, and then make sure you update your starbucks card inside passbook. The passbook card should have a "favorite stores" section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

MrBond posted:

You have to set a favorite store location in the starbucks app, and then make sure you update your starbucks card inside passbook. The passbook card should have a "favorite stores" section.

This is the correct answer, apparently. After adding my local store as a favorite in the app it shows "Your Starbucks Card will appear on the lock screen when you arrive" and now in Passbook the option to "Show On Lock Screen" is on.

Although even after doing all that and even restarting my phone - jack poo poo shows up on my lock screen :shrug: