Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I forgot Dopple Dance is linked to Jean's class change. In the original it's linked to her dance skills, and you can get it before this point. You can also potentially not have it at this point, or put any MExp in Jean's dance skills. And yes, you still need it. Kind of a dick move.

Does karate Jean still breakdance when you use her old dance skills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Camel Pimp posted:

Does karate Jean still breakdance when you use her old dance skills?

I haven't checked because everyone in the tournament is immune to all status effects, but man, I sure hope so!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I really love how the shadow on the side of Lunn's face gets darker when he has his evil face on. I don't know why though.

The Shadow Dragon Cult has three elite students shadowing Lunn at all times: The right hand of assassination, the left hand of misdirection, and the guy with a portable spotlight.

Crowetron posted:

NEXT TIME ON LET'S PLAY LUNAR 2:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
re: the Wolf Karate jokers, as I recall, aside from the 'beast men' types from Lunar 1 (which seem to range from 'catgirl' to 'fuzzy thing w/ tail of undetermined origin'), wolf guards are pretty prevalent in the frontier (and generally a pain in the rear end). There's also the big foreman near the end who resembled a gnoll or something, but it's generally more amusing to pretend that they're all just delusional fursuiters.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Crowetron posted:

I was really hoping "Bunny Karate" would be literal :(

Maybe it's for the best they didn't run into her.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Will we ever get tired of Master Asia references? Probably not. SHOULD we ever get tired of them? HELL NO.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Oh hey, it is those beaten up kids in the shed that were such a delight to talk to in the original.
I am annoyed with how buffs don't last that long in this game and then there are those that weaken over time. What the crap is with that? It becomes an issue with Jean further on and the game deserves a mod for that.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Worth repeating IMO.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

idonotlikepeas posted:

Maybe it's for the best they didn't run into her.

Just a friendly reminder that actual bunnies will fuckin' wreck you.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Glazius posted:

Just a friendly reminder that actual bunnies will fuckin' wreck you.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

quote:

Truly the best thing.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Today's episode brought to you by whatever this is

Episode 54: Final Fight

Music ~ The Tournament

There are two things about the tournament that are super convenient. One is the free healing only a few seconds away.

The other is a built in recap thanks to this lady!

Some of these competitors, like the Gale school, we met in Horam and aren't actually here to chat with.

Jackie Chan, nooooo :(

: "Oh, thanks!"

: "Is our team name really just 'The Outsiders'? We can do better than that. How about...'Ronnie and the Rockets'?"

: "You're joking, right?"

: "Oh! We should be 'The Fightin' Sandsharks'!"

: "Ugh, barf."

: "Clearly, the best choice is 'the Vane Firestorm, sponsored by Vane Magic School'."

: "I believe the best name for your violence band is 'The Good Friends'!"

: "You guys know there are children's lives at stake here, right?"

Oh, yeah. That happened also.

You wait your turn, jerkass.

So easy, Ronfar took a nap in the middle of it!

Whoa, you guys are still alive? Apparently, these self-proclaimed masters of the killing arts thus far have a kill count of 0

Again, no one died or even suffered any lasting wounds. I don't know if I'd call unsportsmanlike conduct 'evil', bro.

"Shockingly incompetent"

Again, these are the guys that the assassin cult was unable to kill.

Let's blitz this poo poo now that we know the champions are total chumps.

Music ~ Brave Warriors

Acceptable Replacement

Round 2, we're up against the Flash Ninjas. Again, I'm pretty sure they got their names mixed up with the first round dudes somewhere during the translation.

Anyway, how do we deal with them?

We stick to the plan. Plunging attacks and ghost punches are the way to go, always and forever.

The wolf dudes also have some attacks, but they're nothing to worry about and I honestly forgot most of them, so let's try out Jean's other new spell.

It's basically a hadoken delivered at point blank range for serious damage. Jean now has a solid go-to move for boss fights besides basic attacks, which is great because there wasn't a lot that Status Effect Jean could do once poo poo got real.

I never noticed that Jean's ghost clone doesn't follow her when she uses the Dragon Palm before now. Neat.

All these fights are surprisingly easy. It's honestly a nice breather after the Fiend battle.

I'm gonna ignore the fact that these 'homicidal maniacs" have, once again, killed no one that we know of, and instead point out that you haven't done a goddamn thing for an entire disc of the game, Ruby! "Us" my rear end!

I really like to think that this whole tournament takes only the 20 minutes or so it is the play through in canon, and Lunn is sitting there like "poo poo, we really should've invited more people. This is a goddamn money pit"

Pictured: me after every match of Smash Bros.

Wait a minute, didn't we already fight a bunch of your guys in the sewers of Meribia? Didn't we mop the floor with those losers?

Pictured: Me at the start of every match of Smash Bros.

Bunny Karate girls, you are almost as bad as Ruby.

Alright, guys, top of the ladder. Just one more hurdle to clear before we can decide the fate of EarthRealm!

: "Actually, I just realized that even if we lose, there's nothing stopping Lemina from annihilating Lunn and his goons with arcane energies, and for some reason that's really funny to me."

: "Omigosh! I could've done that the whole time! Oh, why did I let you guys pick Ronfar over me?"

:black101:

Music ~ Brave Warriors

Acceptable Replacement

At last, we square off against the students of the Shadow Dragon Fist for the final time. They're quick, they can dish out decent damage, and they have more HP than the last two opponents. However, the game gave us Ronfar and no reason to conserve MP, so still not an issue.

The Blue Dragon fist actually manifests as a glowing dragon head as it blasts through targets, but this was the best screen cap of that I could get. This attack also did over 300 damage.

By the time the first assassin was down, I was even confident enough to dick around with a little gambling.

poo poo

Well, we won anyway.

New High Score!

: "Sponsored by the Vane Academy of Magical Arts, now taking applications!"

Finally, someone else notices!

I liked you better when you were one-shotting tutorial bosses, Ruby :colbert:

Shadow Dragon Cult confirmed for Xbox Live users.

Cutscene ~ Fight Your Rival

I highly recommend watching that video, by the way. Lunn's voice actor knew this was one of his last voiced lines, so he went whole hog on it.

: "Power is not a reward...it's a jewel to be snatched from the weak and foolish. As one of my students, you should know this better than anyone else."

Music ~ Field to Tomorrow

:munch:

: "And you will no longer take children from their homes and train them in your twisted art."

: "But what incentive do I have to win, Jean, besides the utter satisfaction in killing you? Of course! If I win, I will be allowed to claim the lives of all your friends!"

We fought a yeti together. We're bros 4 lyfe

: "However, please do not feel any amount of pressure."

Fiendish Dr. Wu...

YOU DONE hosed UP NOW!

Music ~ Boss Battle

Recommended Alternative

And now we face Lunn himself in a duel. This plays out a lot like the Leo duel, but you have significantly less wiggle room with your health. Remember that Leo wanted us to win; Lunn's out for blood.

Dopple Dance is your most important tool here. It allows you to chow down on some healing fruit when you need to without completely stopping your assault. Keep it up whenever possible.

Lunn has several attacks...

And they all hurt. Luckily, every attack has a distinct tell, so you can use that to help gauge when to heal.

It's also not a bad idea to load up Jean with defense boosting accessories. I'm pretty sure Lunn doesn't have access to any sort of elemental damage, so flat defense buffs can go a long way.

: "Witness the power of the Dark Hadou!"

: "Oh poo poo, what the gently caress!"

When Lunn stands with his arms at his side, it's actually an opening to attack. But I was kinda panicking with my health in the red, so it's time to start using those Healing Nuts.

Arms at his side means Lunn's going to POWER UP.

This boosts his attack and defense, in addition to healing him. Luckily, he only seems to use this once, so you can outpace the extra health with Dopple Dance and a solid offense.

: "Enough loving around."

: "This hand of mine is burning blue! It's loud roar tells me to defeat you!"

: "ERUPTING BURNING BLUE DRAGON PALM!!!"

: "And now..."

: "HEAT END!"

: "Dragon Karate International Regulations, Article One: 'A fighter whose poo poo has been wrecked is disqualified'."

: "It's my heart that has changed. I use the skills you taught me...but I don't use them to kill. I use my skills to fight for my friends, and for the future."

: "I believed that I would become invincible if I cut off my own emotions. But you...you grow strong by drawing upon your emotions, and by placing your faith in others."

Luckily, Jean did not accidentally obliterate the macguffin with the power of her BURNING SPIRIT

: "The cave in which the Blue Dragon sleeps is to the north of here. The revival of Zophar means nothing to me. Nor do I care about the Blue Dragon."

Lunn never gave a poo poo about anime Satan or the fate of the world. He just wanted to be the best at punching.

: "He said there was no way to teach the Blue Dragon Fist...but that you would know when you have mastered it...because you would feel it in your heart. I didn't understand what he meant...but now..."

Wow, Jean punched the evil right out of him! Karate rules!

And she kicked a backstory into him, goddamn!

Sounds like a classic example of how easy it is for anyone to stray from the path of righteousness.

Yeah, I just said that, dipshit.

More evidence for the Xbox Live theory.

Let's check in with all those kids we saved a take a victory lap!

:unsmith:

This fuckin' guy...

: "Hmmm. What do you think, little guy? Do you believe him?"

: "Not for a second!"

: "Yeah, me neither. And this hand of mine does have a certain glow to it..."

: "Wait! What are you doing! I didn't--oh geeze! AHHHHHHHHHGHHHHH!"

: "Alright, we should probably get moving."

: "Wait a second. The guy at the gate looks upset about something."

And they never spoke of that event ever again.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Wait, Lunn doesn't have an invisibility ability in this version? I would have sworn he did...

Yeah, I never got the whole "aaah the Shadow Dragon Cult are such maniacs- but they didn't kill those dudes." I mean, some outright homicide wouldn't quite Lunar's overall tone, I suppose, but this whole plot line pretty dark when you think about. Emo her up and give her an annoying significant other and Jean's basically Raiden.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I've seen Lunn bust out his heal/buff move multiple times in that fight, but that's mostly because I was an idiot that thought Dopple Dance was a waste of a turn ("Durr, why spend a turn using a move that causes damage when I can just cause a bunch of damage at once with Blue Dragon Palm? It's not like DD will add up to more damage over time or something logical like that.")

Anyway, nobody mention the "punching evil out of people" thing to Jean, or she might be tempted to try punching perversion out too, and I don't think Ronfar would live through that.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
An alternative acceptable alternative for the update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNtBhv_Mmuk

Camel Pimp posted:

Yeah, I never got the whole "aaah the Shadow Dragon Cult are such maniacs- but they didn't kill those dudes." I mean, some outright homicide wouldn't quite Lunar's overall tone, I suppose, but this whole plot line pretty dark when you think about. Emo her up and give her an annoying significant other and Jean's basically Raiden.

It's not like they couldn't have had one dude from that team there going "Althena preserve us all my friends were just killed! And the people cheered!" and given Jean another opening to monologue about how hard she was gonna karate Lunn. More of those are always a good hting.

Bufuman posted:

Anyway, nobody mention the "punching evil out of people" thing to Jean, or she might be tempted to try punching perversion out too, and I don't think Ronfar would live through that.

That's be like kicking the awesome outta Mystere. I mean, there'd be nothing left afterwards.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Camel Pimp posted:

Wait, Lunn doesn't have an invisibility ability in this version? I would have sworn he did...

Bufuman posted:

I've seen Lunn bust out his heal/buff move multiple times in that fight,

A quick glance at GameFAQs tells me that Lunn does not have an invisibility spell in this version, but he does cycle his attacks in a pattern, so he could power up multiple times if you're not quick enough.

Camel Pimp posted:

It only really jumped out at me when writing the update how many times they mention that the Cult are murderers who kill people all the time, even though we never see them kill anyone. It's really weird too me how much time they spend talking about evil deeds that we never see as opposed to pointing out the evil poo poo we do see: the kidnapped child soldier racket. You'd think at least one of the other martial arts dudes would be like "Whoa, is that a shack full of tortured kids? What the hell?"

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Ah, well, you see, the original version has a really, really nasty gotcha. Lunn can use an ability called "Chameleon" which makes him invisible. You can't hit him when he's invisible. And when he's in his invisible state, he'll hit you for a TON of damage. (As in, nearly a one-hit kill) How do you counteract that? Dopple Dance. Your dopple automatically seeks out Lunn and when it hits him, he's visible. By the way, if any NPC tells you this, I haven't discovered it (and I talked to everyone.) Dopple Dance kinda sucks in the original, so there is no other use than this fight. Oh, but it gets better; Dance needs MExp to level up. Didn't level Jean's dance? Hope you like grinding!

Of course, once you know what you're doing, the fight isn't that bad. You see, Jean's Blue Dragon Fist, called Haduken in the original (no seriously) is kinda crap. It costs more MP than Poe Sword but does less damage. However, in the Sega-cd version regular attacks crit very often, and Jean has the best luck. Why do I mention this? Because when I figured that out, I ended up beating Lunn in seven turns and only using one dover nut.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Crowetron posted:

.... :magical:

If I didn't see it with my own eyes as a screen cap, I might have sworn this was your doing!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

berryjon posted:

.... :magical:

If I didn't see it with my own eyes as a screen cap, I might have sworn this was your doing!

You've got it backwards. Crowetron is the one that portrays Jean as super serious. She's actually pretty chill and prone to laughter in-game (as long as the topic isn't about Lunn or her backstory). Them gypsies raising her is just what the doctor ordered.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Man, the Outsiders is a terrifying name for a fighting team. Makes me think they're all evil giant babies out to eat everything.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rockopolis posted:

Man, the Outsiders is a terrifying name for a fighting team. Makes me think they're all evil giant babies out to eat everything.

I prefer to think of it as Jean being Batman, Hiro being Katana, Ronfar being Metamorpho, Lemina being Halo, and Ruby being a useless sack of poo poo.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Chokes McGee posted:

I prefer to think of it as Jean being Batman, Hiro being Katana, Ronfar being Metamorpho, Lemina being Halo, and Ruby being a useless sack of poo poo.

Nah, Hiro is Geoforce, and Lucia is Looker. (You forgot a party member there)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SorataYuy posted:

Nah, Hiro is Geoforce, and Lucia is Looker. (You forgot a party member there)

: I exist on a different vibrational plane than your native reality!

: Heh. "Vibrational."

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Rockopolis posted:

They don't seem like the sort who combs their dirty hair and fighting rich kids.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So...I guess we're just going to forget all the kidnapped and horrifically tortured child assassins Lunn trained and all, because hey, Jean beat the evil out of him?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cornwind Evil posted:

So...I guess we're just going to forget all the kidnapped and horrifically tortured child assassins Lunn trained and all, because hey, Jean beat the evil out of him?

Man, why dwell on unpleasant subjects when there's an adventure to be had?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Rather nice of them to keep the dialog with the crippled kid to a minimum. He was much worse off in the original.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Rockopolis posted:

The greatest of feasts!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pieuvre posted:

The greatest of feasts!

It always comes back to Drakengard, doesn't it?

Which is really just an unfortunate place to end up :smith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

It always comes back to Drakengard, doesn't it?

Which is really just an unfortunate place to end up :smith:

All road lead to away from Drakengard.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I see Lucia still has her lifeline to the Absolute Worst Things To Say Hotline. Eesh, lady.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
More games need to have kung-fu gypsies punching the evil out of villains.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Oxxidation posted:

All road lead to away from Drakengard.

Reference not the Watchers.
Quote not the Watchers.
Link not videos of the Watchers.

Lalalalalala! Lalalalalala!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Lalalala! The Watchers, they post!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Pierzak posted:

Message not the Watchers.
Spoiler tag not the Watchers.
Ban not the Watchers.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I think you need to update before the Watchers take over your thread

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pierzak posted:

Now it is time to read the post of the gods! A deep post! A great post! A post powerful and formidable! A post that crushes like a mace!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Jesus Christ what have I done :gonk:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Jesus Christ what have I done :gonk:
Nothing. I blame the poster before you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

janusmaxwell
Oct 15, 2012

The worlds most lovably psychotic leprechaun.
It's kinda weird thinking about Jean switching from the fans to the claws. It brings to mind my experiences playing Shining Force 1 and 2. At a certain point you promote your characters, and you can usually tell when that was supposed to happen cause the shops start selling weapons which were no longer equip-able by the un-promoted party members. For example you have Slade the Rat-man thief who wielded a knife. He get's promoted to a ninja which means he can swing katanas and some regular swords. You pretty much realize he needs his upgrade at the point where you run into shops that don't sell carry knives of any type anymore.

Ahh...memories...

• Locked thread