Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Megasabin posted:

My parents are going to be in town for 2 nights. I can use this an opportunity to go to expensive fancy places that I haven't had the chance to try yet. The ones I know off the top of my head are Bacchanalia and Restaurant Eugene. What's the deal with Quinones? Is it just a special room inside of Bacchanalia?

it's like, sort of in the basement of star provisions. it's just more expensive, more courses, way fewer seats, and only open on weekends.

I've only been once, but my experience wasn't so amazing that I could highly recommend it. It's sort of expensive tasting menu wise, and having just done a mind-blowing tasting menu last night (I'm on vacation wine hopping in california ^_^) for much less than the Quinones room, it makes me go 'ehhhhhh'.

If your parents are going to be really impressed by next-level service and a really really intimate atmosphere, and money isn't a thing, it's worth a go. Otherwise, I think Bacchanalia is frankly a bargain for their like $85 or whatever tasting menu, so just do that. Spend the extra splurging on wine or cheese or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Not quite food related, but does anyone know what movie was filming at the Olympic Flame diner on Marietta Blvd. It became Top Notch Truck Stop for a few days and the old run down tire place across the street became Quicksmart for the same time. They even brought in a whole bunch of really nice 18 wheelers to fill up the gas lanes. The Olympic Flame was also a chicken place in Anchorman 2. I've never eaten there but I kind of want to now just to see if the inside matches the movies any.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

AgentHaiTo posted:

Not quite food related, but does anyone know what movie was filming at the Olympic Flame diner on Marietta Blvd. It became Top Notch Truck Stop for a few days and the old run down tire place across the street became Quicksmart for the same time. They even brought in a whole bunch of really nice 18 wheelers to fill up the gas lanes. The Olympic Flame was also a chicken place in Anchorman 2. I've never eaten there but I kind of want to now just to see if the inside matches the movies any.

I'm in the film industry. The new 'Vacation' is currently filming now, so that would be my guess. I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Anybody have a favorite Asian market, I assume somewhere on Buford? I'm in the market for a granite mortar and pestle and have heard that they're generally the best place to buy that sort of thing. I'm pretty sure I've checked Super H Mart and not seen one there, though.

kontona
May 3, 2003

i like hong kong market but it's a bit out of the way on jimmy carter. i was actually looking at mortar and pestles there saturday.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't been there in a while, and have no idea if anywhere in there sells mortar and pestles, but Assi Plaza in Duluth sells housewares. Last time I was there they had a ton of rice cookers and seemingly high-tech washers and dryers.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

kontona posted:

i like hong kong market but it's a bit out of the way on jimmy carter. i was actually looking at mortar and pestles there saturday.

Did you find anything good?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boyfriend and I went to the 5 Points Vortex. It was worthwhile. Nothing super amazing, but still good. And there was a sushi place in Canton that was pretty good. And JD's because he and the lady longtime friend / now roommate insisted.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Manuel Calavera posted:

Boyfriend and I went to the 5 Points Vortex. It was worthwhile. Nothing super amazing, but still good. And there was a sushi place in Canton that was pretty good. And JD's because he and the lady longtime friend / now roommate insisted.

:) Glad you enjoyed your time in Atlanta.

Zenzirouj posted:

Anybody have a favorite Asian market, I assume somewhere on Buford? I'm in the market for a granite mortar and pestle and have heard that they're generally the best place to buy that sort of thing. I'm pretty sure I've checked Super H Mart and not seen one there, though.

just go to them all until you find something you like. there are probably 5-6 in the stretch between where buford begins and 285. I got my favorite one from a mexican mart actually. I have 4 or 5 - the japanese style suribachi I don't really like because it has a little too much tread, and I don't feel like I grind as well with a wooden pestle. I have a ceramic one that is horrible, it has almost no grit at all. I have a decorative one from iran that is just too pretty to use, and a couple mexican ones that are great. they're bigger and deathly heavy, solid granite or marble or something, with just enough roughness to grind effectively, and the pestle is also made of rock and a little textured. I think it cost me like $10 about a decade ago.

unfortunately I bought it at the now defunct international farmers market. :< RIP

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Yeah, I've worked with ceramic before and definitely don't want that. I've heard that using a granite mortar and wooden pestle can be a good combo. And although I do enjoy perusing multiple stores, Buford can be a little tricky in terms of figuring out which place is a plain food market, a combo market/household item store, just a restaurant, a front for the Korean mob, etc. So if you guys just know of places that would probably sell this kind of thing, that would also be helpful.

kontona
May 3, 2003

Zenzirouj posted:

Did you find anything good?

they have a pretty good selection of stone mortar and pestles. i don't know exactly what kind of stone they were, maybe granite? ran between $15 and $20 for a decent size one.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zenzirouj posted:

Yeah, I've worked with ceramic before and definitely don't want that. I've heard that using a granite mortar and wooden pestle can be a good combo. And although I do enjoy perusing multiple stores, Buford can be a little tricky in terms of figuring out which place is a plain food market, a combo market/household item store, just a restaurant, a front for the Korean mob, etc. So if you guys just know of places that would probably sell this kind of thing, that would also be helpful.

oh, don't be such a fuddy duddy. there's no korean mob that is going to tackle you for walking into a store. if it looks like a market and it quacks like a market, it probably is a market. maybe the korean girl at the register you're afraid of actually speaks really good english. maybe she doesn't! it's no big deal. point, nod, read the number on the register, hand them cash. if you need a confidence boost, just remember - this is 'merica, and god willing insha'allah everyone should speak english. and if they don't, it's their fault, not yours.

there's a supermercado in the plaza with funtime lanes that isn't scary, a vietnamese market in the plaza with viet tofu that isn't scary, a market in the plaza with quoc'hong that isn't scary, there's the farmers market in the plaza fiesta, there's the super h mart, there's the buford farmers market, there's the chinese shops/food court behind the marta on new chamblee road, there are dozens of smaller mexican marts up and down the strip - I mean literally you have like a dozen "not scary" options, and probably untold more that mainly just sell to ethnic folk, which fair enough I can understand how that could be scary.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 25, 2014

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

mindphlux posted:

oh, don't be such a fuddy duddy. there's no korean mob that is going to tackle you for walking into a store. if it looks like a market and it quacks like a market, it probably is a market. maybe the korean girl at the register you're afraid of actually speaks really good english. maybe she doesn't! it's no big deal. point, nod, read the number on the register, hand them cash. if you need a confidence boost, just remember - this is 'merica, and god willing insha'allah everyone should speak english. and if they don't, it's their fault, not yours.

there's a supermercado in the plaza with funtime lanes that isn't scary, a vietnamese market in the plaza with viet tofu that isn't scary, a market in the plaza with quoc'hong that isn't scary, there's the farmers market in the plaza fiesta, there's the super h mart, there's the buford farmers market, there's the chinese shops/food court behind the marta on new chamblee road, there are dozens of smaller mexican marts up and down the strip - I mean literally you have like a dozen "not scary" options, and probably untold more that mainly just sell to ethnic folk, which fair enough I can understand how that could be scary.

Uh, I wasn't serious about the Korean mob. I assume that's a real thing, but I don't see why it would be a problem for me. What I mean is, it's sometimes unclear what kind of store a place is before walking in, so I'd rather not waste a lot of time walking into an endless stream of little groceries that aren't going to have mortar & pestles. I've bumbled around enough Asian markets that the language barrier doesn't bother me and if all else fails, there's calculator-based haggling.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Oct. 7th - Desi-Chinese food in Atlanta. This is a collaboration between Chai Pani (the chef that hung out with us at the goon dinner meet there) and Makan, making indo-chinese food for a one time event. This cuisine is a big thing in India, but not really represented well here in the USA. Unique stuff! I may be going, but if any goons want to go, we could maybe get a bigger table together.

Makan Restaurant & Bar
130 Clairemont Ave
Decatur, GA 30030

Tickets available here ($45 each, 5 course meal, 1 cocktail included): http://makanandchaipani.brownpapertickets.com/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

Oct. 7th - Desi-Chinese food in Atlanta. This is a collaboration between Chai Pani (the chef that hung out with us at the goon dinner meet there) and Makan, making indo-chinese food for a one time event. This cuisine is a big thing in India, but not really represented well here in the USA. Unique stuff! I may be going, but if any goons want to go, we could maybe get a bigger table together.

Makan Restaurant & Bar
130 Clairemont Ave
Decatur, GA 30030

Tickets available here ($45 each, 5 course meal, 1 cocktail included): http://makanandchaipani.brownpapertickets.com/

I could definitely be talked in to going to this. might buy a pair of tickets before the weekend is up...

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

I could definitely be talked in to going to this. might buy a pair of tickets before the weekend is up...

8pm anyone? We can get a table for up to six people (possibly more, just lemme know). I've been texting with the chef, so there are fish/veg options for all but one of the plates.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
What's the deal with only accepting even number parties? I have a group of five that wants to go, but obviously we don't feel like shelling out for a sixth ticket.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

WaterIsPoison posted:

What's the deal with only accepting even number parties? I have a group of five that wants to go, but obviously we don't feel like shelling out for a sixth ticket.

I'd call Makan to arrange it for a party of 5. :)

Anyone else? Goony goon g00n thyme! I got tix for 8:30pm if anyone else wants to come around that time.

Landrobot fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 29, 2014

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
We e-mailed them and were told that we could only make reservations in groups of two or four.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

WaterIsPoison posted:

We e-mailed them and were told that we could only make reservations in groups of two or four.

Weird. Well, be sure to come either way!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so, I think katie and I wanna go, but her work will potentially be blowing up early next week, and she might have to work a couple nights until 7-8pm.

I'll know more later this week, but might have to delay getting a ticket until she knows more about timeframe. If we can make it I'll try my best to grab a 8:30 slot too though.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Re: The Pig & The Pearl, it was OK for Atlantic station but not worth going to or experiencing Atlantic Station. I had a half rack and creamed corn and the ribs were sticky and lean; the corn was dead and flavorless. I won't go back.

If any of you know good places to get the following, holler:

Fuqi Feipian
Zhongzi
Hainanese Chicken and Rice
Beef noodle soup

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

What growler place do y'all like in town, like around Inman Park?? The place near rias on memorial is OK, but their selection of stouts wasn't that strong when I went.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

What growler place do y'all like in town, like around Inman Park?? The place near rias on memorial is OK, but their selection of stouts wasn't that strong when I went.

These aren't in Inamn Park, but maybe check out Ale Yeah or Taps.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Tatsuta Age posted:

I highly recommend Ale Yeah!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Tatsuta Age posted:

There's going to be a Hop City at Krog Street Market in the next few months. I'm biding my time until that opens.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kuskus posted:

Re: The Pig & The Pearl, it was OK for Atlantic station but not worth going to or experiencing Atlantic Station. I had a half rack and creamed corn and the ribs were sticky and lean; the corn was dead and flavorless. I won't go back.

If any of you know good places to get the following, holler:

Fuqi Feipian
Zhongzi
Hainanese Chicken and Rice
Beef noodle soup

I agree about pig and pearl. I already wrote a review in this thread, but the oysters were so ridiculously overpriced even I couldn't order any.

I've had good beef noodle soup at pho dai loi and lee's bakery. I just had one of lee's specialty beef soups for the first time last weekend actually. it had a lot of what I thought might have been beef tongue, but it was really thin, so I'm thinking I don't really know what I was eating. had some fish cake and I think pork baloney or something too. soup was pretty mild considering it was described as 'spicy', but good flavor, I'd order again.

the food court at the "atlanta chinatown mall" has pretty decent hokkien style chinese dishes. you're not going to get singapore/mainland china epic quality dishes, but they're not bad attempts at the classics. I've had fishball noodle soup, chicken & rice, satay, roast pork with noodles, and other mainstays. the place is sort of kooky, it's worth a lunchtime visit for sure. I'm pretty sure they have zhongzi, but they might even have fuqi feipian, though I have never had that one before.

also I'm not sure if what Canton house has is technically "zhongzi", but they have several "rice+meat wrapped in leafy things and steamed" dishes that are really tasty.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux posted:

so, I think katie and I wanna go, but her work will potentially be blowing up early next week, and she might have to work a couple nights until 7-8pm.

I'll know more later this week, but might have to delay getting a ticket until she knows more about timeframe. If we can make it I'll try my best to grab a 8:30 slot too though.

got the all clear, I'm buying a 8:30 for us, I think a couple of our friends will be joining us too. Not sure how seating works, but maybe we could get a 6-8 top? or if not, at least make eyes at eachother across the room? :o:

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 1, 2014

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

got the all clear, I'm buying a 8:30 for us, I think a couple of our friends will be joining us too. Not sure how seating works, but maybe we could get a 6-8 top? or if not, at least make eyes at eachother across the room? :o:

Yeah, we'll all bounce around if at different tables, or we can request a big table for us all. Just lemme know the day before (post here) and I'll make table arrangements for us all! I'll have Chef Daniel pull some strings with front of the house if possible. Either way, he'll definitely come out and hang out with us for a little bit afterwards. He knows we're coming :sotw:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

Yeah, we'll all bounce around if at different tables, or we can request a big table for us all. Just lemme know the day before (post here) and I'll make table arrangements for us all! I'll have Chef Daniel pull some strings with front of the house if possible. Either way, he'll definitely come out and hang out with us for a little bit afterwards. He knows we're coming :sotw:

oh yeah I keep forgetting that you're in with these folks. awesome! will do.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Antico Pizza owner under fire in federal labor investigation

This just adds to my working theory that DiPalma is a dick.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I ate lunch at Shake Shack in Buckhead. I loathe Buckhead and didn't want to really like Shake Shack so I'd have no reason to go to Buckhead, but I loved it.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Except there are 500 people in line. Wait a couple weeks. I walked here 4mi like a dummy. And everyone in line is entitled and whining. I smell makeup. I'd rather be at the pig & the pearl. Help me.

EDIT: it's really loving good

kuskus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 4, 2014

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I never want to eat another burger in Atlanta.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I figured it would be super busy, so I showed up when it opened. There were probably a dozen or so people in line ahead of me.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

WaterIsPoison posted:

they fixed the tickets to any quantity selection now (1-10, odd numbers, etc)

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I'll be up in Alpharetta tomorrow at an IT training class. Is there anything good around there? I was kinda thinking of going to try out Umaidos if there wasn't anything in that immediate area.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I always loved Tanaka. It's a little family owned Japanese restaurant off of Alpharetta Highway. I used to live up there and eat there like once a week.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

AgentHaiTo posted:

I always loved Tanaka. It's a little family owned Japanese restaurant off of Alpharetta Highway. I used to live up there and eat there like once a week.

I checked it out on yelp. Looks good but looks like it will be closed when I leave the training at 2pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

That Campania Pizza place is a drat good alternative to Antico. Also, if you like Peruvian, Mambo's is pretty fantastic as well. I haven't explored the full depth Alpharetta has to offer, but I can assure these are excellent places.

Also, I look forward to seeing any goons tonight at Makan! I think there's community tables, so we can pair up if needed.