Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tracula posted:

Ugh, just spoil the joke. Did he actually say this because a lot of me genuinely believes it and I really, really don't want to go digging through his twitter.

Spoony said he's greater than Jesus since the last Reburary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

There used to be a wiki of all the internet critics out there, and there were separate articles for Good Spoony and lovely Spoony. Good Spoony was reported dead in like 09 if I recall.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So I made the mistake of watching the Blockbuster Buster/Linkara review of Flash Gordon. 5 goddamn minutes of logos and credits and set up before they even mentioned the drat movie. Then they proceeded to spend far more time talking about whatever silly story they were doing instead of talking about the majestic cheese banquet that is Flash Gordon. Shame and a pox upon them.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Gyges posted:

So I made the mistake of watching the Blockbuster Buster/Linkara review of Flash Gordon. 5 goddamn minutes of logos and credits and set up before they even mentioned the drat movie. Then they proceeded to spend far more time talking about whatever silly story they were doing instead of talking about the majestic cheese banquet that is Flash Gordon. Shame and a pox upon them.

As an alternative here's a good review of Flash Gordon from SFdebris: http://sfdebris.com/videos/films/flashgordon.php

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hbomberguy posted:

There used to be a wiki of all the internet critics out there, and there were separate articles for Good Spoony and lovely Spoony. Good Spoony was reported dead in like 09 if I recall.
Yeah...2009 or 2010 is probably about right

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tracula posted:

As an alternative here's a good review of Flash Gordon from SFdebris: http://sfdebris.com/videos/films/flashgordon.php

Yes, SFdebris always understands the important things.

I really hope people quit torturing the guy with horrible anime requests. Someone pay for some Gurren Lagann or Space Dandy for the poor guy.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tracula posted:

Ugh, just spoil the joke. Did he actually say this because a lot of me genuinely believes it and I really, really don't want to go digging through his twitter.

It's totally a thing he said and totally not an urban legend about something Kanye said

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Gyges posted:

I really hope people quit torturing the guy with horrible anime requests. Someone pay for some Gurren Lagann or Space Dandy for the poor guy.

poo poo, get him to do Akira, he'd have a blast discussing that one. Unfortunately I don't know if it's aged really well.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

OldTennisCourt posted:

poo poo, get him to do Akira, he'd have a blast discussing that one. Unfortunately I don't know if it's aged really well.

I promise you 100% that it has aged perfectly and there's a lot of themes about political unrest and revolution I didn't notice the first time. Give it a watch but do avoid the original english dub since that was pretty bad. I've heard the second one is better but I'd still just rather watch it in Japanese.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gyges posted:

Get the poor guy to watch Redline. That'll cheer anyone up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tracula posted:

I promise you 100% that it has aged perfectly and there's a lot of themes about political unrest and revolution I didn't notice the first time. Give it a watch but do avoid the original english dub since that was pretty bad. I've heard the second one is better but I'd still just rather watch it in Japanese.

Akira is a breathtakingly beautiful and very important movie, but it's not very good. It's a super-condensed version of a phone-book sized manga, with massive pieces of information about the setting left totally unexplained. In some ways that actually adds to the surreal atmosphere of the movie, but on the other hand it leads to poo poo like the horrible scene where the female lead starts talking nonsense about amoebas in an ill-advised attempt to sum up the entire six volume manga in a single thesis. Plus the back half is mostly just the army throwing poo poo at Tetsuo and him wrecking house on whatever they try, which gets old fast. That's not to say Akira doesn't have pockets of absolute brilliance-- in terms of mindfuck imagery it's the fillet mignon of anime-- but as a whole it's a solid B at best and even that is mostly on the strength of its AAA animation and acknowledging its importance as a seminal gateway anime in the late 80s and 90s.

Having said all that, it's definitely a prime project for a dude like SFDebris to tackle. I'd love to hear his take on it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be quite keen to see SFDebris try Robotech, because it seems* like there's a lot he could say about it.

*Disclaimer: My entire knowledge of the franchise comes from James Luceno's page on Wookieepedia.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd like to see him tackle the old american series Millenium like he does Star Trek and Babylon 5 and such.

On the anime front I wish he'd do more Gundam because I liked his review of 0080.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
In his 0080 review he makes it clear there is more Gundam down the pike, problem is the dude is probably backlogged to hell with stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if we've got another couple garbage anime to plow through since guys more than likely sent him requests all at the same time when he started for Madoka.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The good thing about him reviewing this awful anime is that some idiot(s) out there paid out the rear end for him to watch crap.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mind the walrus posted:

Akira is a breathtakingly beautiful and very important movie, but it's not very good. It's a super-condensed version of a phone-book sized manga, with massive pieces of information about the setting left totally unexplained. In some ways that actually adds to the surreal atmosphere of the movie, but on the other hand it leads to poo poo like the horrible scene where the female lead starts talking nonsense about amoebas in an ill-advised attempt to sum up the entire six volume manga in a single thesis. Plus the back half is mostly just the army throwing poo poo at Tetsuo and him wrecking house on whatever they try, which gets old fast. That's not to say Akira doesn't have pockets of absolute brilliance-- in terms of mindfuck imagery it's the fillet mignon of anime-- but as a whole it's a solid B at best and even that is mostly on the strength of its AAA animation and acknowledging its importance as a seminal gateway anime in the late 80s and 90s.

Having said all that, it's definitely a prime project for a dude like SFDebris to tackle. I'd love to hear his take on it.

The movie is really good but suffers from being a hacked together composite of one of the best and most purty manga's ever.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd like to see him tackle the old american series Millenium like he does Star Trek and Babylon 5 and such.

On the anime front I wish he'd do more Gundam because I liked his review of 0080.

There is a part of this post that makes me strangely depressed. ..

:corsair:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Old is more a way of differentiating the series from the recent Millenium movies/books which have nothing to do with it. 15 years isn't that old.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oops I think I hurt grandad's feelings. 15 years isn't that old.

S'ok. I'm getting used to it. :)

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Gyges posted:

So I made the mistake of watching the Blockbuster Buster

Yup. You sure did.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mad Lupine posted:

Yup. You sure did.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Mad Lupine posted:

Yup. You sure did.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Mad Lupine posted:

Yup. You sure did.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Mad Lupine posted:

Yup. You sure did.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Linkara is probably my favourite reviewer, simply because he needs a tumblr plot guide to explain what the gently caress is happening in all the footage between his comic reviews. The dramatic 'plot twists' are the unintentional comedy moments of the decade.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The internet needs videos about a crazyman with a fedora battling weird space entities in the most low-rent fashion imaginable, and it needs a lot of them.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

quakster posted:

The internet needs videos about a crazyman with a fedora battling weird space entities in the most low-rent fashion imaginable, and it needs a lot of them.

Basically this but sincerely. I love his dumb comic plots and characters and stuff :allears:.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I always hated in Akira how Tetsuo's girlfriend has no reason to exist except to get sexually assaulted and the get horribly crushed in a bloody pulp. The movie was overstuffed with plotlines and characters already, so you could easily remove her character with no harm done.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Solaris Knight posted:

Basically this but sincerely. I love his dumb comic plots and characters and stuff :allears:.

Yeah, it reminds me of the plotlines on MST3K. It's cheesy enough to work.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I always hated in Akira how Tetsuo's girlfriend has no reason to exist except to get sexually assaulted and the get horribly crushed in a bloody pulp. The movie was overstuffed with plotlines and characters already, so you could easily remove her character with no harm done.

She's got a bigger role in the manga and comes in the story at a totally different time. She's still there to illustrate Tetsuo's increasingly deranged and bitter mindset, but it's much more thematically consistent than her pretty pointless parts of the Anime.

It was really weird watching the movie again because I totally forgot how jumbled and mashed together everything is. Like a fever dream version of the comic.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Akira's, like, not even a character in the anime.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I kind of think Kaori's one of the most important characters. She is abused by her boyfriend in his attempts to look big to his gang, and then by the clowns in a similar display of power, before literally gets suffocated and crushed by the logical conclusion of these struggles. She's basically the only normal person in the entire film and her mistreatment is kind of telling about the story's setting. The film is saying society is on the edge of collapse because 'normal people' (symbolised in the one couple in the whole story) are pushed to the wayside and forced to either become megafuckers (and in doing so add to the problem) or get killed.

Kaori's basically the only character who pursues the possibility that everything could be all right. Society fails to possess the same vision as her and almost falls apart. It's thematically similar to her character in the manga - which ends with The People taking back their city and society actually rising to the challenge.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Hey guys! Wanted to drop in and let you guys know Phelous.com has been completely redesigned!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

It has been done.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 1, 2014

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Thanks a lot, that's helpful. :) I'll tell Phelan.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah the spacing is pretty odd, as everything is way bigger than the header which makes the layout look weird.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Hmmm...

padding:5px;

That ought to do it. :reject:

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Spacing's fixed now.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Miss Wallace posted:

Spacing's fixed now.
Looks much better! :) Sorry for not articulating that better.

Ema Nymton posted:

Hmmm...

padding:5px;

That ought to do it. :reject:
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
So, we have the next Vampire Reviews: http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/vampire-reviews-count-von-count/

• Locked thread