Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

thrawn527 posted:

Keeping in mind this isn't actually a defense of Castle in that regard, but this is true of all crime procedurals, isn't it? Castle, NCIS, Elementary, Bones, etc. all seem to do this. Sure, they use "evidence and detective work", but most cases just end with a confession, given by someone who doesn't have a lawyer, and very often after the person asking the questions has lied or threatened the suspect somehow.

I've never seen Castle as being any worse about this than any other show. The amount of times Gibbs on NCIS has countered, "Do I need a lawyer?" with, "Do you think you need one?" or, "Why, have you done anything wrong?" is rather absurd.

Oh I agree, it's the same with most US crime shows. The difference, for me, is that I liked Castle initially whereas I don't watch NCIS etc for much the same reasons (also they're mostly trash on a basic level of quality).
I think it stands out so much to me because I grew up watching things like The Bill on UK television. The Bill was a twice weekly police proceedural where it wasn't even a matter of discussion, they'd cut to the interview room and you would see the officers starting the tape recorders and there's just another extra in the scene playing the part of the solicitor. Everyone had a solicitor, even if it was just the duty solicitor, and it was routine, no inferences drawn.
It didn't actually change much about the basic structure of the programme, but it also didn't create an extremely unhealthy prejudice in the back of the viewer's mind.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

GraPar posted:

You're The Worst just got a Season 2 :yotj:

This is the best news. I hope they find a better way to market it going forward because the campaign they did before the show started airing was horrible and almost made me miss a great show.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think Castle's a little worse about it than the other shows mentioned because Beckett's entire approach to police work (in the first couple of seasons that I watched at least) was to gather some evidence, see who the most likely suspect is, and then proceed to yell at him/her and accuse them of the crime until they would either give her some info or crack and confess. At least a show like Elementary will often discount a suspect because Sherlock or Watson realize that they couldn't have done it. Castle just has the cops accuse everyone until eventually they get it right.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't have to like Roman Polanski to like his movies and I don't have to like Lena Dunham to like Girls. Deal with it. :colbert:

thrawn527 posted:

I've never seen Castle as being any worse about this than any other show. The amount of times Gibbs on NCIS has countered, "Do I need a lawyer?" with, "Do you think you need one?" or, "Why, have you done anything wrong?" is rather absurd.

Brooklyn 99 also features a lot of heinous abuses of police discretion, but you have to keep in mind that its not a documentary, and neither is Castle. I've said it a hundred times in the Castle thread, but Castle's biggest problem is its rigid adherence to its format. The killer is ALWAYS the last person Beckett fingers, her conclusion is ALWAYS based on investigation that takes place off-screen and the killer ALWAYS confesses, even when there's no storytelling need for him to confess.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

hope and vaseline posted:

So Bunheads was good for the one season it was on?

Yeah it was. There were some growing pains with attempts to both imitate GG while also stepping out of its shadow. However, it mostly righted the ship by the end and really should've deserved a second season.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

VDay posted:

I think Castle's a little worse about it than the other shows mentioned because Beckett's entire approach to police work (in the first couple of seasons that I watched at least) was to gather some evidence, see who the most likely suspect is, and then proceed to yell at him/her and accuse them of the crime until they would either give her some info or crack and confess. At least a show like Elementary will often discount a suspect because Sherlock or Watson realize that they couldn't have done it. Castle just has the cops accuse everyone until eventually they get it right.

The Glades kind of one ups this because the detective pretty much ruins all the suspect's lives, if you think about it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Oh I agree, it's the same with most US crime shows. The difference, for me, is that I liked Castle initially whereas I don't watch NCIS etc for much the same reasons (also they're mostly trash on a basic level of quality).
I think it stands out so much to me because I grew up watching things like The Bill on UK television. The Bill was a twice weekly police proceedural where it wasn't even a matter of discussion, they'd cut to the interview room and you would see the officers starting the tape recorders and there's just another extra in the scene playing the part of the solicitor. Everyone had a solicitor, even if it was just the duty solicitor, and it was routine, no inferences drawn.
It didn't actually change much about the basic structure of the programme, but it also didn't create an extremely unhealthy prejudice in the back of the viewer's mind.

That makes sense, and it would be nice to have a show act like that here. I guess, having only ever watched American crime shows, that's the only thing I've known. So, while I'm extremely vocal when things like that happen in real life, and tell everyone I know to never talk to the police, when it happens on TV I just kind of accept it as a kind of annoying but inevitable part of the format.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sorry for the double post, but:

Doctor Butts posted:

The Glades kind of one ups this because the detective pretty much ruins all the suspect's lives, if you think about it.

Yeah, this happens a lot, too. Very often they'll show a husband, for example, grusome pictures of his now dead wife's dead and mangled body to try and illicit a reaction. And every time I can't help but think, "Jesus Christ, if this guy didn't kill his wife, that is a horrible thing to show him that he'll be bringing up in therapy for years to come."

NCIS is also the worst about this. Gibbs did (I stopped watching last season) this probably at least once every other week.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fooz posted:

Girls is alright. I thought it was a nepotism thing but I was wrong apparently. Nepotism gets on my nerves more than Dunham.

I think what you're thinking of is Judd Apatow taking an interest in Dunham, which is allegedly the only reason HBO gave Girls a shot in the first place. That's not nepotism since they're not related. It's the kind of thing that happens all the time to young filmmakers.

The latest season of Girls was actually good, the first two were really not.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thrawn527 posted:

Sorry for the double post, but:

Yeah, this happens a lot, too. Very often they'll show a husband, for example, grusome pictures of his now dead wife's dead and mangled body to try and illicit a reaction. And every time I can't help but think, "Jesus Christ, if this guy didn't kill his wife, that is a horrible thing to show him that he'll be bringing up in therapy for years to come."

NCIS is also the worst about this. Gibbs did (I stopped watching last season) this probably at least once every other week.

Horrible deplorable misconduct is basically the bread and butter of crime procedurals. When the good guys don't commit actual crimes or brutality in the course of the episode you're looking at an abnormal episode.

This may or may not reflect reality. Probably does though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

Yeah actually since internet discussion of her leads invariably directly into how ugly she is and how gross she is naked it is a unique situation. I'm sure there are people who legit don't like the show that aren't misogynists, but the level and strength of the dislike for the show and how much of that is personally directed at Dunham comes from a deeper place. The level of vehemence is way out of proportion to the quality of the show.

I think it's a pretty terrible show and think the idea that calling someone out for not paying talent makes you a "hater" is pretty laffo, but I think she's actually kinda okay looking and she seems like an alright person in every other respect. Am... am I the strange one? :ohdear:

IRQ posted:

Horrible deplorable misconduct is basically the bread and butter of crime procedurals. When the good guys don't commit actual crimes or brutality in the course of the episode you're looking at an abnormal episode.

This may or may not reflect reality. Probably does though.

It certainly does for SVU at the very least. I couldn't tell you about NCIS because every version of that show is so crushingly loving boring.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The original Law & Order was probably best for cops' actions. Any time the cops would step out of line on a suspect/defendant's rights they'd get smacked down at trial.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Shows like NCIS and L&O pulling the "only the guilty need lawyers" is not nearly as bad as true crime shows doing the same thing. Just about every episode (at least the ones I've been forced to watch) has a cop or the narrator imply that a guy is guilty because he lawyered up. It's so loving irresponsible to repeat that bullshit.

GraPar posted:

You're The Worst just got a Season 2 :yotj:

This is great news.
E: You forgot to mention that they're moving it to FXX, which is about as good as cancellation. Married is staying. :suicide:

Baronash fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 1, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo Manhattan Love Story is already making me want to put a gun in my mouth.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

JohnSherman posted:

E: You forgot to mention that they're moving it to FXX, which is about as good as cancellation. Married is staying. :suicide:

It won't be expected to get big ratings on FXX. Then again that didn't save any of the other low rated stuff on FXX. :smithicide:

At least it's getting another season. (RIP Hello Ladies)

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
For all the poo poo that NCIS gets on this forum, I think it deserves some credit for building a sprawling, interconnected universe. They have been doing for years what Marvel and DC are just getting around to now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A boring interconnected universe

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That post was a joke, right?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

JohnSherman posted:

For all the poo poo that NCIS gets on this forum, I think it deserves some credit for building a sprawling, interconnected universe. They have been doing for years what Marvel and DC are just getting around to now.

Personally I appreciate their pioneering the art of tandem keyboarding.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

precision posted:

I think what you're thinking of is Judd Apatow taking an interest in Dunham, which is allegedly the only reason HBO gave Girls a shot in the first place. That's not nepotism since they're not related. It's the kind of thing that happens all the time to young filmmakers.

The latest season of Girls was actually good, the first two were really not.

I enjoyed the first two enough, but I couldn't make it all the way through season three. The other characters were alright but Hannah just got worse and worse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wandle Cax posted:

I enjoyed the first two enough, but I couldn't make it all the way through season three. The other characters were alright but Hannah just got worse and worse.

I feel like the difference was that in seasons 1 and 2 it wasn't really all that clear that Hannah was supposed to be a deeply horrible person. Season 3 made it crystal clear. Though I would agree if you also said she's the weakest cast member (in every season).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JohnSherman posted:

Law and Order has been doing it longer.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Ravane posted:

I lost my father four years ago at the age of 18, which is why I empathized with Jack from the beginning, given his situation. But that resolution had me bawling like a kid.

My dad is still alive

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In the Monday 9pm time slot, the incredibly disappointing Scorpion was only down 3%, a smaller drop than even TBBT, to a 3.2 while Sleepy Hollow fell 15% to a 1.7. I'm surprised Scoprion held so strong.

Meanwhile, Monday Night Football owned everything with a 5.3. The closest was TBBT at 4.8 which basically takes place before MNF, and the next closest was The Voice at 4.0.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

In the Monday 9pm time slot, the incredibly disappointing Scorpion was only down 3%, a smaller drop than even TBBT, to a 3.2 while Sleepy Hollow fell 15% to a 1.7. I'm surprised Scoprion held so strong.

Yeah it's doing really well which is a little surprising considering how awful it is. Maybe after the pretty cool ridiculous action in the pilot, people, like me, watched the second episode to see if there would be anything close to that level of excitement in the continuing series. Of course the answer is a resounding no. More likely is it had Big Bang as a lead in so it's capturing that demographic of people who enjoy cringe worthy stereotypical nerd characters on TV. Only this time in a bad NCIS style package.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

JohnSherman posted:

Huh, so NCIS not only has 2 spinoffs but is itself a spinoff of JAG... and it has crossed over with CSI (itself a 3 show universe) and Hawaii Five-0 and now Scorpion.

Yeah that's a pretty extensive CBS procedural universe they have going there.

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah Rory tends to get a little insufferable after season 3 when her tantrums basically consist of not being appreciative of all the great opportunities she has in life. Eh, still a great show with a fun recurring cast and Emily would consistently deliver the best burns.

So Bunheads was good for the one season it was on?
Yep Bunheads was good.

At least Rory being spoiled eventually comes full circle when she has an affair because she thinks she deserves everything and everyone.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's mostly a drip drip drip of Just World "only the guilty need a defence" stuff but sometimes they just straight up coerce confessions.

There's strong undercurrent of authoritarianism and disregard for civil rights running through Castle that is never portrayed as anything but reasonable and good. It's unpleasant when you notice it.
Oh I thought it was something that wasn't incredibly common to nearly all police/crime procedural shows.

VDay posted:

That actually sounds pretty accurate to how the NYPD operate?

But yeah, it would be nice if it weren't an unquestioned good thing.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah it's doing really well which is a little surprising considering how awful it is. Maybe after the pretty cool ridiculous action in the pilot, people, like me, watched the second episode to see if there would be anything close to that level of excitement in the continuing series. Of course the answer is a resounding no. More likely is it had Big Bang as a lead in so it's capturing that demographic of people who enjoy cringe worthy stereotypical nerd characters on TV. Only this time in a bad NCIS style package.

Scorpion is what would happen if the guys from BBT decided to fight crime and the general public loves bbt

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Pillowpants posted:

Scorpion is what would happen if the guys from BBT decided to fight crime and the general public loves bbt

I think BBT is pretty funny (low standards) and found Scorpion to be loving awful.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cardboard Box A posted:

At least Rory being spoiled eventually comes full circle when she has an affair because she thinks she deserves everything and everyone.

I've never managed to get past season 5 of Gilmore Girls because I completely lose interest in Rory after she breaks up Dean's marriage. There's also a lot less Richard and Emily in the latter seasons, which is a shame cause they're the best characters on the show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Richard and Emily are the best, and they still turn up in almost every episode. The show was never about Rory to me, it's all Lorelei. Rory's just there as a plot device to keep the words per minute ratio up in conversation and provide a reason for the grandparents to be involved so much.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

My dad is still alive

I spoilered it because it revealed an important plot point in the finale, not because I'm conceited about my own life.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Jack's dad was dead in the pilot.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

Jack's dad was dead in the pilot.

Yeah, but his return in the finale was what I was spoilering it for. Guess it doesn't matter.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ravane posted:

Yeah, but his return in the finale was what I was spoilering it for. Guess it doesn't matter.

Well you didn't say he returned in the finale until just now! :colbert: (note I don't actually care just pointing that out)

E: Since we are on LOST. I dropped out the season after the one where the main characters were in cages and not doing anything. Is it worth returning to finish even if I know Jack's dead dad returns (and all the actual real spoilers like the purgatory thing)?

I got really bored that season and it might have been due to the writer's strike that went on at the time stretching the season break out, but I just never came back to the show. I felt like it was moving at a snail's pace. Does the show go pass crawling speed again like it was in season 1?

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 1, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jack's dad comes back over and over throughout the whole show. It's not a big spoiler.

Here's a spoiler - dead people come back all the time on this show. There's time travel and smoke monsters so anything can happen.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

That makes sense, and it would be nice to have a show act like that here. I guess, having only ever watched American crime shows, that's the only thing I've known. So, while I'm extremely vocal when things like that happen in real life, and tell everyone I know to never talk to the police, when it happens on TV I just kind of accept it as a kind of annoying but inevitable part of the format.

Law and Order always had a lawyer in the room, who mysteriously would shut the hell up as the suspect gives up everything. Jack McCoy!

EDIT: Lost is not worth it. Punch out now.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 1, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SymfonyMan posted:

Well you didn't say he returned in the finale until just now! :colbert: (note I don't actually care just pointing that out)

E: Since we are on LOST. I dropped out the season after the one where the main characters were in cages and not doing anything. Is it worth returning to finish even if I know Jack's dead dad returns (and all the actual real spoilers like the purgatory thing)?

I got really bored that season and it might have been due to the writer's strike that went on at the time stretching the season break out, but I just never came back to the show. I felt like it was moving at a snail's pace. Does the show go pass crawling speed again like it was in season 1?

The back third of seasons 3 and most of 4 and 5 has a cracking pace, because they'd worked out the rough direction of where they wanted to go but weren't locked into actually wrapping it up.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

SymfonyMan posted:

E: Since we are on LOST. I dropped out the season after the one where the main characters were in cages and not doing anything. Is it worth returning to finish even if I know Jack's dead dad returns (and all the actual real spoilers like the purgatory thing).

That season didn't start well, but the latter part of it was the peak of my personal enjoyment of the series.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: Lost is not worth it. Punch out now.

This is good advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Gonz posted:

The season 2 finale of Ray Donovan was bonkers as poo poo. A whole hell of a lot of loose ends tied up in 55 minutes. Season 3 should be interesting.

We really missed out not having a Season 2 thread. The second season was a strong improvement over the first and the performances are killer.

• Locked thread