Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The GIG posted:

I played that one Bad Boys game. Nothing is as bad as that.

I played that PS2 launch game based on the anime Orphen. Bad Boys at least was based on a good movie and, not having played it, the use of more than two buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barudak posted:

I played that PS2 launch game based on the anime Orphen. Bad Boys at least was based on a good movie and, not having played it, the use of more than two buttons.

Bad Boys is not a good movie but yes the Orphen game is loving amazingly terrible.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So now I have refinished the final battle with all 160 fragments. :shepicide: (Sarah vs Caius paradox battle)

As far as getting Lightning Returns, I actually asked for it for my birthday in couple of weeks so we'll see if some one gets it for me or I end up buying it later.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

alcharagia posted:

edit: I never played DoC but I beat Megaman X7 11 times willingly

I couldn't even get 11 minutes into Mega Man X7. What the gently caress.

I did beat the original .hack series three times..then never even beat volume two of GU.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I feel like Square updated some of the environment textures in the Steam port of FFIV, or at least some look better than I remember from the DS version, but man could they have put at least a tiny bit of effort into the textures on the main characters? Incredibly pixelated! I hope someone finds out how to mod in some nicer textures.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

PunkBoy posted:

The Plus album is it's own thing. It's just songs that weren't on the first album.

I had seen both before, which is why I was confused. I thought it was something new.

Just bought them now, glad I did because I missed just how great some of these tracks are. They get a bit lost behind Claire'sLightning's yelling and sword slashing in the game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've beaten FF XIII twice and Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest three times but I'd never, ever replay Mega Man X7. Or X6 for that matter.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I still want to know what happened to Gackt after DoC.

I'm sorry

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DoC was the first final fantasy game I ever played and I loving hated it

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Krad posted:

I still want to know what happened to Gackt after DoC.

I'm sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNkWGmraK44

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Endorph posted:

you don't have to constantly poo poo on final fantasy just to prove you're still cool. this is the ff megathread. it's okay to like ff in the ff megathread.

final fantasy is cool and good

I like final fantasy but from everything I heard lightning returns is really dumb

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's good actually

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I like final fantasy but from everything I heard lightning returns is really dumb

Yeah, but it's a rad kinda of dumb.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
I don't like Final Fantasy and I played lightning returns and it was the total poo poo, like, even worse poo poo then FFX13 and I played that and every moment felt like I was shoving glass into my dickhole.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

big duck equals goose posted:

I don't like Final Fantasy and I played lightning returns and it was the total poo poo, like, even worse poo poo then FFX13 and I played that and every moment felt like I was shoving glass into my dickhole.

This is a worse posting gimmick than azure_horizon's

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

LR is a good game.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

So Genesis said "gently caress the FF7 world," hopped dimensions and ended up in a Samurai Warriors spin off? I'm okay with that.

Also, LR is terrible. XIII 1 and 2 are marginally better.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is a worse posting gimmick than azure_horizon's

Gimmick? I'm being serious. Those games were terrible and I demand you tell me one redeeming thing about them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sazh Katzroy :colbert:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Square-Enix goes MOBA with Lord of Vermilion Arena: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPebbcLrJ84

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/29/square-enix-making-moba-game-lord-vermillion

Yes, the developer's actual name is Mobile & Game Studio. The game is a 7v7 F2P MOBA that involves summoning monsters through a deck of cards.

On other news, Akihiko Yoshida has joined an art company CyDesignation. He will join as a member on the board of directors and serve as art director for an upcoming project. The company has worked on the art for games such as Rage of Bahamut and Granblue Fantasy. This doesn't mean he can't work on SE games. It'll just have to be through CyDesignation as a contractor. In the past, CyDesignation has worked on Lightning Returns. In fact, ex SE employee Hideo Minaba founded the company and continued to work as a character art consultant for SE after he left.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I don't care for MOBAs but I love some stuff about that trailer. For some reason the image of the PCs in a circle emitting lightning at each other is incredibly amusing to me. As was the PCs DRAMATICALLY POPPING UP NEXT TO EACH OTHER AND THEN A MYSTIC CIRCLE APPEARS. It's just so extremely... Japan.

Also what the hell there were seriously three lord of vermillion games?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am looking to play FFVI for the first time. I am debating between the GBA version (patched to improve the music quality) or the SNES version.

Is there a consensus around this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am looking to play FFVI for the first time. I am debating between the GBA version (patched to improve the music quality) or the SNES version.

The GBA version is superior in all ways except sound so... yeah. Go for that. Even if you don't want to do the bonus dungeons it has actually working evade mechanics.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Gba version with SNES version music patch.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Guess it depends on how you feel about bugs that let you totally curb-stomp an already really easy game. FFVI SNES had ways to basically insta-kill anything, including bosses. All that got fixed in the GBA version.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

big duck equals goose posted:

Gimmick? I'm being serious. Those games were terrible and I demand you tell me one redeeming thing about them.

The gameplay is pretty great in LR, rewarding you for smart set building and timely defending and counter attacking. Hell, with good timing and some skill you can basically no damage bosses and stagger them really quickly. It's a system that doesn't grind to a halt without understanding it but actively rewards skillful play, which is where 13-1's combat kind of failed because if you didn't get it every fight took 10-15 mins. The encounter design's much better in LR than in most RPGs (and a lot of action games come to think about it) since it's almost always just you by yourself so they have to balance it well or it just straight up wouldn't work. The boss fights especially show off some skill, with the Snow fight being my favorite example since it's you fighting someone who works off the same systems you do so you have to pay attention and react to his guards and counters. The timer is terrifying at first but you quickly realize it's just there to keep you moving and it gives you enough leeway to do what you want and because of that you're constantly doing things and quest which always reward you with stats so they're worth doing regardless of the equipment reward.

It's actually a pretty okay Action/RPG.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Barudak posted:

How well can you deal with 20 year olds in a 16 year olds body who also has the memories of your characters dead girlfriend*?

*not actually your girlfriend Vincent you loser

Pretty sure Lucrecia and Vincent were actually together for a while unless DoC retconned that. And saying Shelke had a 16 year olds body is generous, the whole concept of her was super gross.

I get to relive the whole thing this month though! My girlfriend played through VII for the first time this year and absolutely loved it and now wants to watch me play through Dirge so she can experience it.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Epi Lepi posted:

Pretty sure Lucrecia and Vincent were actually together for a while unless DoC retconned that. And saying Shelke had a 16 year olds body is generous, the whole concept of her was super gross.

I get to relive the whole thing this month though! My girlfriend played through VII for the first time this year and absolutely loved it and now wants to watch me play through Dirge so she can experience it.

DoC alludes to the idea that she was into Vincent's dad, and after he died she started to develop a relationship with Vincent before agreeing to be the surrogate mother for the Jenova Project, i.e. Sephiroth. It's pretty messed up.

And yeah, Shelke is a 20-something in a body that's like 12 who has flashback memories of a woman who would be in her mid-to-late 50s. It really isn't any wonder that she's as screwed up as she is.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The gameplay is pretty great in LR, rewarding you for smart set building and timely defending and counter attacking. Hell, with good timing and some skill you can basically no damage bosses and stagger them really quickly. It's a system that doesn't grind to a halt without understanding it but actively rewards skillful play, which is where 13-1's combat kind of failed because if you didn't get it every fight took 10-15 mins. The encounter design's much better in LR than in most RPGs (and a lot of action games come to think about it) since it's almost always just you by yourself so they have to balance it well or it just straight up wouldn't work. The boss fights especially show off some skill, with the Snow fight being my favorite example since it's you fighting someone who works off the same systems you do so you have to pay attention and react to his guards and counters. The timer is terrifying at first but you quickly realize it's just there to keep you moving and it gives you enough leeway to do what you want and because of that you're constantly doing things and quest which always reward you with stats so they're worth doing regardless of the equipment reward.

It's actually a pretty okay Action/RPG.

Thing with the timer, it's almost too generous. Mind, I used the time-stop alot, but I did a lot of side quests and still finished all of the main quests and got enough EP to get the full 13 days with something like four to six days left, and with the need for more time taken out I found myself losing interest in the sidequests (which were all that was left) and stopped playing for a while. Still haven't gone back and finished, which is a shame because I was having fun and I really want to see the endgame, if for no other reason beyond thinking the final boss music is loving rad.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Thing with the timer, it's almost too generous. Mind, I used the time-stop alot

Well I mean that kind of explains why, doesn't it? I barely used the time stop at all and it was pretty tight. Popped it here and there to make sure I made deadlines to turn things in and in the super dungeon at the 13th day. I rather save the EP to use in boss fights. The time stop is there for people who aren't exactly great at it or panic under the timer, so yeah liberal use of it lets you get done with excess time left. I'm not sure if that's a fault of the game if a player over uses a crutch. Then again they put it in the game so yeah maybe it is a fault.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

Just shut off your mind and enjoy the music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rXO_5AsKgg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06EXCf5zXUk (since all the Shelke talk and this is one of my favorite fight themes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRTbXmt0M0o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qz0t7pPS3A (I do enjoy Gackt's music in the main so his contribution to DoC was nice)

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Well I mean that kind of explains why, doesn't it? I barely used the time stop at all and it was pretty tight. Popped it here and there to make sure I made deadlines to turn things in and in the super dungeon at the 13th day. I rather save the EP to use in boss fights. The time stop is there for people who aren't exactly great at it or panic under the timer, so yeah liberal use of it lets you get done with excess time left. I'm not sure if that's a fault of the game if a player over uses a crutch. Then again they put it in the game so yeah maybe it is a fault.

I managed to finish all main quests in 3-4 days on my first playthrough, then tackled some sidequests until they became mind-numbingly boring. Ended up sleeping until the end of the world. Yeah, I'd say it's a fault.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, the game is designed with the idea that you lose time if you die. For casual players the time limit is harsher because they will die more often. It's a fault but it's a usual Final Fantasy fault where they erred on the side of unskilled players. (Easy mode turns off the time-loss entirely which is a different kind of crutch.)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I get that to an extent, and I don't see it as a huge design failure or anything, but at the same time I remember Majora's Mask still being reasonably tight when you use the reverse Song of Time. Although, I suppose Majora's Mask wasn't quite as up front in demanding that you do sidequests as LR is.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Himuro posted:

Gba version with SNES version music patch.

This but also with this patch to get the color corrected back to the SNES style instead of the washed out GBA look it had. Speaking of FFVI, I am near the end of replaying it on the Vita, and that version isn't too bad outside of the short load time in-between fights. That said I would still recommend the GBA version with those two patches applied. I just been playing this version since it's hard to find a legit copy of the GBA version, so the Vita version is the next best mobile version of the game that isn't on the IOS.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I get that to an extent, and I don't see it as a huge design failure or anything, but at the same time I remember Majora's Mask still being reasonably tight when you use the reverse Song of Time. Although, I suppose Majora's Mask wasn't quite as up front in demanding that you do sidequests as LR is.
Considering you can always return to the beginning, I'd hardly call the Majora's Mask time limit "tight".

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Nihilarian posted:

Considering you can always return to the beginning, I'd hardly call the Majora's Mask time limit "tight".

Also, the reverse Song of Time or whatever it was that slowed down time was free to use and stayed "turned on" all the time, if I recall. It's not like LR where your time stopping costs a limited resource and lasts for a very short period. LR gets criticized both for having a time limit that makes people feel rushed and stressed, but also because the time limit is too lenient. They're both kind of silly, since the time limit IS lenient and doesn't really rush you, and having extra time is easily remedied by visiting the convenient inns scattered around everywhere.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Considering you lose any progress in quests you haven't finished when you do, I'd say it's still reasonably tight for how much it punishes you for running out.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The worst final fantasy has to be ff9. I was doing a complete run many years ago, and I got to the end thinking this isn't that bad of a game. Then the bad guy basically goes "We are GOKU from another planet, here to destroy this planet.". I just turned off the game and never went back. Good story up to that point but that completely destroyed the story for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's just a weird mechanic because outside of narrative structure, most players are just going to find the time limit so forgiving as to not even really need to exist. It seems like the original design may have been much more restrictive and they eventually pulled back on it. I seem to remember an early interview or video where the stated intent was that it would be impossible to see everything in one playthrough and the NG+ would be emphasized to see more content, but that's obviously not the case with the game that was released.