Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kanfy posted:

I was kidding but on second thought everyone else is running around with open shirts and microskirts and whatnot (except for Balthier cuz he's classy) so simply wearing a helmet is probably enough to take first place when it comes to not dying horribly in battle.

Speak for yourself, most of us were never young or foolish enough to touch DoC. :colbert:

I was expecting chibi Fran to attract way more flame than it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wukong is know for super strength and speed, he can transform, carries a staff that changes size...

Nope definitely not seeing anything similar to Goku there. Goku's calm, rational, intelligent personality is also a well established thing. :v:

Nobody said Goku isn't based on Son Wukong. He does not, however, have the same personality. The mythological Son Wukong is kind of infamously a giant loving rear end in a top hat. That is why he was sealed in a rock in the first place.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The mythological Sun Wukong is such an rear end in a top hat there is a side quest in SMT4 dedicated to hunting that fucker down and beating him into the dirt.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wukong is know for super strength and speed, he can transform, carries a staff that changes size...

Nope definitely not seeing anything similar to Goku there. Goku's calm, rational, intelligent personality is also a well established thing. :v:

Early in the book, Wukong is sent to the heavens to be watched over. Why? On Earth, he raised an army of apes and became their king and started wrecking poo poo. So like, they give him this small title and watch over him just to make sure he's good. He's assigned to horse duty. He doesn't like this, so returns to Earth and declares himself equal to heaven, so they're like gently caress this, and give him a station of actual stature - guarding the royal peaches. One day, they're preparing for a huge rear end party and poo poo, and they've got Sun Wukong guarding the royal peaches that grant immortality and only blossom once every 9,000 years. He eats all of them just because he's bored and becomes strong as poo poo and starts loving up heaven because he finds out he's not invited to the party. He drinks all of the wine at the party, and drunk rages all over every Bodhisattva, low and high.

The most Goku ever does is pat Bulma in a very private place through innocence.

Goku ain't nothing like Sun Wukong.

Journey to the West is also the best book of all time. :colbert:

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 2, 2014

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Himuro posted:

Early in the book, Wukong is sent to the heavens to watched over. Why? On Earth, he raised an army of apes and became their king and started wrecking poo poo. So like, they give him this small title and watch over him just to make sure he's good. He's assigned to horse duty. He doesn't like this, so returns to Earth and declares himself equal to heaven, so they're like gently caress this, and give him a station of actual stature - guarding the royal peaches. One day, they're preparing for a huge rear end party and poo poo, and they've got Sun Wukong guarding the royal peaches that grant immortality and only blossom once every 9,000 years. He eats all of them just because he's bored and becomes strong as poo poo and starts loving up heaven because he finds out he's not invited to the party. He drinks all of the wine at the party, and drunk rages all over every Bodhisattva, low and high.

Goku got hit on the head and forgot to do all this. Doh!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody said Goku isn't based on Son Wukong. He does not, however, have the same personality. The mythological Son Wukong is kind of infamously a giant loving rear end in a top hat. That is why he was sealed in a rock in the first place.

Yeah he crashes a big party in heaven, starts fighting and defeating their armies and has to be stopped by Buddha himself. But not before literally pissing on him.I've read those stories and they are absolutely hilarious once Son Wukong shows up. They're also brutal as hell and I felt sorry for all the demons that cross his path.

Edit: Beaten kind of

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Poster who was considering playing FFVI for the first time - try out the Brave New World mod. It makes a hilariously easy game into a decently awesome game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

doesn't it rewrite the game or is there a version that doesn't do that?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

doesn't it rewrite the game or is there a version that doesn't do that?

Yeah it rewrites dialogue and such. I feel like it's better to just play the base game first.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
While they bill it as being balanced for first-timers, I don't recommend Brave New World the first time around. Part of why I enjoyed BNW so much was appreciating the changes they made, which is a perspective you lose out on without having played the base game first.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What changes does BNW exactly implement?

Srice posted:

Yeah it rewrites dialogue and such. I feel like it's better to just play the base game first.

Does it rewrite Kefka's bad dialogue in WoB?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Himuro posted:

What changes does BNW exactly implement?

Does it rewrite Kefka's bad dialogue in WoB?

IIRC it left a few of the iconic lines but it did change some stuff around. Been awhile since I played it so I don't remember the specifics.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I'm pretty sure Mega64 did an LP of BNW, although I can't find it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Did he finish it? The thread sort of went to poo poo, understandably, after the hack creator felt the need to inform everyone that he jerks it to cartoon horses.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah the best part of that LP was when the guy who made the romhack posted in the thread and called himself a 'chocobrony'

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Kulkasha posted:

I always felt bad for Vincent. He basically fell in love with literally the second-worst person in the entirety of FFVII's world (the first being Hojo, go figure that they ended up together).

Don't feel bad for him. Whatever Vincent got into was his own fault.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

He wanted to sleep in that coffin but Cloud and friends wouldn't stop bothering him.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Srice posted:

My personal recommendation then is not to play a version of VI that is rewritten by the rom hacker first, as that sounds bad and unfun as opposed to good and fun.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
BNW changes the characterization of the cast. Setzer is an absolute rear end in a top hat for example.

Also, it fixes some bugs and makes equipment matter. By that I mean they have stats and effects that tangibly affect the gameplay. You have to make some interesting tradeoffs.

Characters can only use certain espers, which mean they only get certain magic, and the level up bonuses actually matter. Esper choice is a way to mold a character into a more specific role.

Lastly, the encounters have been rebalanced. Enemy weaknesses matter and the AI scripts and skills have been redone some. Overall the mod is a bit harder but in a good way. It's a challenge, not a slog. Though there is still a bit of HP-sponginess as the game progresses.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

neongrey posted:

Did he finish it? The thread sort of went to poo poo, understandably, after the hack creator felt the need to inform everyone that he jerks it to cartoon horses.

Yup. iirc, the guy eventually did a patch that was just the mechanics changes but left the script intact. Still wouldn't recommend it to someone playing for the first time, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah the best part of that LP was when the guy who made the romhack posted in the thread and called himself a 'chocobrony'

Has this LP already fallen into the archives or can you link it to me?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Kaine Vincent tries to be hardcore but Aracely Cloud & co won't let him.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

I liked how 10 did it best. I mean, the whole dream thing is silly, but how it changes the story to make Tidus the person who sacrifices himself and not Yuna is beautiful and makes it worth it. Plus, we get Tidus and Jecht high five out of it so I can't hate at all. Unlike the other games, despite this, it's kind of in the background, and doesn't change the plot TOO much because no matter what, Sin is the ultimate destination.

Playing FFX international really boosted my opinion of FFX. It used to be a low-tier FF for me because of the gameplay, but the changes to the gameplay in the International version made it one of my favorite FF's. Funny how that works. Most of all, I found it crazy how so many game stories today are showed up by a 2001 title, especially FF13.

I realize you aren't going to think I'm asking this in good faith, but gently caress it: what are your thoughts on FF7's story?

Between Goku guy's idiocy and your recent good posts in this thread my initial judgment of you may be shifting.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

My personal recommendation then is not to play a version of VI that is rewritten by the rom hacker first, as that sounds bad and unfun as opposed to good and fun.

It claims that 'The game script has been largely re-written in order to be a bit more faithful to the original Japanese dialogue' in the forum post explaining it.

Yeah, almost every patch I know of that's said that has been poo poo. Iunno how gameplay would work out (I'm not a big fan of limiting espers, either) but any random person on the street thinking they know better than professionals tends to freak me out. It doesn't even matter if they're right or not, simply making that call means I feel the rest of their decisions are suspect.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol didn't the last patch that said that replace cait sith with an original character named after biblical dudes?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

It claims that 'The game script has been largely re-written in order to be a bit more faithful to the original Japanese dialogue' in the forum post explaining it.

Yeah, almost every patch I know of that's said that has been poo poo. Iunno how gameplay would work out (I'm not a big fan of limiting espers, either) but any random person on the street thinking they know better than professionals tends to freak me out. It doesn't even matter if they're right or not, simply making that call means I feel the rest of their decisions are suspect.
There are games that do need that though. There's the Breath of Fire 2 one, for starters, and the RPGe translation of FFV isn't great but it's better than the PSX one.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Man you must have hated FF4. And 5. and 7. and 8. And 10. and 12.

Man dumb magic and/or space poo poo outta nowhere is kind of a loving thing in this franchise now that I think about it.

FFVI is awesome because the plot twist happens halfway through the game. Surprise! The apocalypse. And it's about a demented clown trying to create a monument to non-existence :laugh:

EDIT: SON OF A SUBMARINER!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

There are games that do need that though. There's the Breath of Fire 2 one, for starters, and the RPGe translation of FFV isn't great but it's better than the PSX one.

That's true, I guess.

...I don't think FFVI is particularly applicable, though. I mean, is having the beefy brawny dude called 'Sabin' instead of 'Mash' such a problem?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hellioning posted:

That's true, I guess.

...I don't think FFVI is particularly applicable, though. I mean, is having the beefy brawny dude called 'Sabin' instead of 'Mash' such a problem?

It's applicable, but not in the same way as BoF2 really needed it. FF6 got an extremely charming translation by the equally divisive and talented Ted Woolsey. It was rushed, and minor aspects suffered, but I genuinely believe any retranslation that cuts his flavor out is subpar. The man's work has become a meme online and within the series, FFS.

And giving "Mash" an actual name is only a good thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh. Even Woolsey has said that his translation had issues. The people who are like "it's unreadable trash" are going way too far but you can balance the two. It isn't like modern versions don't do they, they've kept Terra/Sabin/ect even in Dissidia or Curtain Call or whatnot.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. Even Woolsey has said that his translation had issues. The people who are like "it's unreadable trash" are going way too far but you can balance the two. It isn't like modern versions don't do they, they've kept Terra/Sabin/ect even in Dissidia or Curtain Call or whatnot.

Yeah, exactly. There were flaws, but his work is worth preserving; moreso than fan translators tend to.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Hellioning posted:

Usually I agree with you, but I think BNW was done pretty well. There's one groan-worthy segment of new dialog, but for the most part you wouldn't even notice that the script was really changed.

And the gameplay changes were quite good, I thought. The limiting Espers might seem overly restrictive, but like with FFXII IZJS, actually making each character have unique abilities, strengths, and weaknesses goes a long way to make the gameplay more interesting. Each character has two or three "builds" you can make based on your Esper choices, that can further make each character have several unique paths they can take. For example, Sabin can focus on Stamina and become an excellent support character with some back-row offense in Aura Beam, or he can focus on strength and become a front-row powerhouse, but that makes his support blitzes only so-so. He spent a lot of time focusing on making things balanced, and every character is really useful in their own way. I never found any of the fights to be bullshit hard (although apparently some bosses like Atma are designed to punish you for grinding levels until you naturally learn spells you shouldn't have yet).

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

While I love the changes BNW made to how your party members played, I think I'm gonna have to disagree on the difficulty. I'm firmly in the bullshit difficulty camp. Like bosses as early as the first Ultros fight start feeling the HP bloat and the game is really stingy with gold to the point where you're almost constantly broke even after buying the bare minimum to get by.

Really though, I'd love to see an original game with BNW's roster size/party building mechanics. So long as it has an easy mode.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I really don't know why were discussing mod options for FFVI when Awful Fantasy exists. I mean, its the perfect first run through for beginners and people not fully invested in decades old forum in jokes.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Has this LP already fallen into the archives or can you link it to me?

It's out of my watchlist so presumably it's been archived. I'll see if I can find it again and link it here.

e: here you go. Links to the original thread should be on the archived version somewhere.

http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VI-Brave-New-World/

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Cake Attack posted:

lol didn't the last patch that said that replace cait sith with an original character named after biblical dudes?

The FF7 retranslation guy wanted to do that but hadn't finished it yet.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

maou shoujo posted:

The FF7 retranslation guy wanted to do that but hadn't finished it yet.

Dude had the most fansubber excuse for making that mod too. Claimed that he "ruins the tone" and something about he was totally added in last moment even though anyone with google can figure out that's not true. New character's name was described as basically being Lair McBetrayerson by someone here so that should tell you about how good the replacement writing would be.

Edit: Also had the dumbest renames and justifications for a bunch of misc stuff.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 2, 2014

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
BNW is to FF6 as IZJS is to FF12. Sure, some of the endgame bosses are on the big-sack-o'-HP side (hah, another FF12 parallel), the game can be finished fairly easily in the mid-30s. Grinding yourself into the mid-40s ends up making it sorta easy again, but also really cuts down on the time needed to kill those HP punching bags.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Corvinus posted:

BNW is to FF6 as IZJS is to FF12.

Except BNW is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted: