Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Come on guys, everyone knows the TRUE OTP of Kyoryuger is Daigo X Gabutyra :colbert:

But seriously, Amy winning the Daigobowl felt so.... UNDERWHELMING. Like she's his prize for being up the big bad butterfly boss. That she's not that interesting doesn't help. She and Ucchy had WAY more chemistry anyway, especially with his initial arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Solaris Knight posted:

She and Ucchy had WAY more chemistry anyway, especially with his initial arc.
I'll agree with this. She and Souji have pretty good chemistry, too, admittedly.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
There was a Los Angeles PD cop car in today's Super Megaforce. I wonder how they got it in New Zealand.

greatn posted:

When do you think sentai will take the bold step of introducing the plaid ranger?

How about a fashion themed sentai with the evil team of khaki, plaid, denim, corduroy, and socks with sandals.

Gokai Sentai Donranger.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr Tran posted:

There was a Los Angeles PD cop car in today's Super Megaforce. I wonder how they got it in New Zealand.

Call up the studio's prop department and have them get the same model car in white, then print up some decals to make it look like an LAPD vehicle and slap them, a front guard, and some lights on.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder with Jerry Brown's new tax breaks for film companies if there's any chance they might ever bring production back to the states. Probably not, and the New Zealand locations do look pretty great but it would be nice if most of your actors didn't have to fake an accent.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

greatn posted:

I wonder with Jerry Brown's new tax breaks for film companies if there's any chance they might ever bring production back to the states. Probably not, and the New Zealand locations do look pretty great but it would be nice if most of your actors didn't have to fake an accent.

I thought the Dino Charge rangers were American. They were in NZ for filming, but didn't come from there.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Solaris Knight posted:

I thought the Dino Charge rangers were American. They were in NZ for filming, but didn't come from there.

Oh well that's cool at least. I think Z was american too, from Florida. Some of the Disney seasons seemed like they had a couple of americans by the rest kiwi.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Cernunnos posted:

Call up the studio's prop department and have them get the same model car in white, then print up some decals to make it look like an LAPD vehicle and slap them, a front guard, and some lights on.

I'll need to watch it again and see if it was left or right hand drive.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
At first I didn't remember this episode, but then at the end it hit me, Abaranger tribute episode. It had Ahim using an Abare Pink key, which they cut completely from this episode because I guess that didn't happen in Dino Thunder, so they had to have some excuse for Emma not to be around. Other than that I'm actually pretty surprised at how this was more or less faithful to the original outside of none of the Dino Thunder Rangers showing up (Abare Blue showed up to tell them that they hadn't used the true power of the Abaranger keys yet, this episode just had the usual Gosei asspull of "YOU HAVE EARNED A NEW ABILITY"). The fake wedding happened in the original episode too, as did the multi-disguise thing (of course, it had more context in the Gokaiger episode whereas here it's just kind of pointless). They even kept in Silver taking pictures of the whole thing.

So yeah honestly I'd say this is one of the better episodes of Super Megaforce all things considered.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

greatn posted:

How about a fashion themed sentai

If this never happens I will probably hate you forever. I need this to happen.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The way Super Megaforce has turned out really makes me wish they had skipped it(Gokaiger) and just done 2 seasons for Goseiger(also Saban needs to ditch Nickelodeon for somewhere else, heck it could probably do well as a Netflix exclusive, especially since they wouldn't have to deal with awful scheduling anymore)

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

drrockso20 posted:

The way Super Megaforce has turned out really makes me wish they had skipped it(Gokaiger) and just done 2 seasons for Go Busters

Fixed that for you.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

drrockso20 posted:

The way Super Megaforce has turned out really makes me wish they had skipped it(Gokaiger) and just done 2 seasons for Goseiger(also Saban needs to ditch Nickelodeon for somewhere else, heck it could probably do well as a Netflix exclusive, especially since they wouldn't have to deal with awful scheduling anymore)

Saban has his own broadcast tv childrens' block that nobody watches, it would probably go there.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Vortex is dead.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I would fully support a Power Rangers/Netflix deal.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pinwiz11 posted:

I would fully support a Power Rangers/Netflix deal.
Same. Plenty of anime has done well there. As have plenty of kids shows.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

All of PR is already on Netflix, and a huge part of the audience doesn't watch TV anymore, they have Netflix.

Perhaps more importantly, they can skew a little bit older AND maybe, JUST MAYBE, try subbing tokusatsu for Netflix.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Subbed toku would be up to Bandai wouldn't it? I do think if you go to Netflix you don't necessarily skew older, but you can make the show a little more violent and a little less teachy in minor ways where you don't have to reach some standard for broadcast children's programming. More lasers and punches and less random energy waves, a megazord falling into a building every once in a while, slightly scarier villains, not necessarily having to shoe in a moral lesson.

Never make power rangers for an older audience. It's a kid's show adapted from a kid's show. If you want to experiment with something for older audiences make it a separate program like Akibaranger.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Speaking of Akibaranger, goddamn is the first episode funnier now that I've watched Magiranger and some of Dekaranger.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Subbed toku would be up to Bandai wouldn't it? I do think if you go to Netflix you don't necessarily skew older, but you can make the show a little more violent and a little less teachy in minor ways where you don't have to reach some standard for broadcast children's programming. More lasers and punches and less random energy waves, a megazord falling into a building every once in a while, slightly scarier villains, not necessarily having to shoe in a moral lesson.

Never make power rangers for an older audience. It's a kid's show adapted from a kid's show. If you want to experiment with something for older audiences make it a separate program like Akibaranger.

Well you obviously CAN make Power Rangers for an older audience, but to do so successfully you'd have to start from scratch effectively.

I'd be happy if they just made them like the Post Zordon era for Saban. those were great

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wonder if they can just get a simulcast of the latest Toku show on Hulu. I just saw Hulu yesterday and it is incredibly impressive how recent and fast they have for anime, especially the simulcasts.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

All of PR is already on Netflix, and a huge part of the audience doesn't watch TV anymore, they have Netflix.

Perhaps more importantly, they can skew a little bit older AND maybe, JUST MAYBE, try subbing tokusatsu for Netflix.

What's the market data on the Boys demos (the target demo, not necessarily the audience) that get programming via TV versus online? That basically the issue. If there's still a significant portion watching via broadcasts, regardless of network, then there's no real reason to go full digital.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So I started with Jungle Fury: Stoner Werewolf mentor is the best.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zedd posted:

QFT

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Zedd posted:

Stoner Ranger is the best Ranger.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

RJ is great, and I haven't even watched Jungle Fury.

I'm glad the fandom appreciates it more now that time has passed.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Nostalgia plays a big part in it as well as shittier subsequent seasons. Turbo, Lightspeed Rescue, Wild Force, Ninja Storm all got "worst season ever" branding when they first aired and have gotten more popular as time has passed. Heck some people have said good things about Samurai vis-a-vis Megaforce ("At least Samurai had a theme and story!")

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Nostalgia plays a big part in it as well as shittier subsequent seasons. Turbo, Lightspeed Rescue, Wild Force, Ninja Storm all got "worst season ever" branding when they first aired and have gotten more popular as time has passed. Heck some people have said good things about Samurai vis-a-vis Megaforce ("At least Samurai had a theme and story!")

And yet nobody will ever defend Overdrive.

Truly there is justice in the world. :allears:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I remember thinking Lightspeed was trying too hard to be cool. A firefighter! A mountaineer! A paramedic! A chopper pilot! A... dolphin trainer...

I think it was really just being the first real post-Zordon series which turned me off originally. Lost Galaxy was still in the Angel Grove universe in a lot of ways, so it felt like just a continuation of that story, but really out there. Lightspeed was "we're fighting demons from inside the earth with human technology" and I was literally Not My Rangers :bahgawd: about it.

Nowadays, yeah, I appreciate it more precisely for being its own thing a bit. Carter's still the dullest Red in history, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the other hand, he literally tried SHOOTING A KAIJU WITH A PISTOL.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Carter seems less dull and more stoic and reserved, as expected from someone who's trained to be calm under pressure

Or maybe I'm justifying him too much? :shrug:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Listen, you don't call anyone dull after 3 seasons of Saban 2.0 Red Rangers

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Neo Saban is the worst thing to happen to Power Rangers since the indecisiveness of Turbo's writers. :v:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Solaris Knight posted:

Carter seems less dull and more stoic and reserved, as expected from someone who's trained to be calm under pressure

Or maybe I'm justifying him too much? :shrug:

I think its like, as Linkara noted in his overview of the series, its hard to imagine what Carter does outside of being a ranger. As one he's fairly up there I find, good head on his shoulders and a sense of responsibility that fits his previous job description. But beyond that... uh...

He plays with toy fire engines maybe? :shrug:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Solaris Knight posted:

And yet nobody will ever defend Overdrive.

Truly there is justice in the world. :allears:

I'll say something positive about Overdrive. I thought the Ice Guy's makeup was pretty cool, one of the best looking villains behind Zedd. And the pink ranger was smokin hot.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Did Overdrive have the black ranger run off and sulk for several episodes straight because one of the villains got under his skin?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Did Overdrive have the black ranger run off and sulk for several episodes straight because one of the villains got under his skin?

It was apparently a double agent maneuver.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Overdrive didn't have the girls lose their morphers, so suit up with assault rifles and grenades to fight the villains in civvie form. Failure. :colbert:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I feel like I'm one of the few people that liked Once a Ranger. Don't get me wrong, it was a deeply flawed episode, but it was nice to have Adam back as the veteran ranger and the fights were pretty decent. Aside from the slow-mo wire fu explosions that dominate the Disney seasons. Oh and the fact that they didn't have the rights to use the original theme song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Once a Ranger was literally the only reason why a lot of people even tolerated Overdrive.