Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
For those of you who were around to watch the first or second seasons as they happened - how quickly were subbed episodes posted after the original broadcast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
Usually the episodes are uploaded within 2 to 3 days unless the subber is busy

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BurningDance posted:

Usually the episodes are uploaded within 2 to 3 days unless the subber is busy

Great, thanks :)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

It was funny but the joke totally outstayed its welcome and then stayed a bit longer and kinda ruined the game and completely hosed one player out of the game on that move alone.

I was laughing at first, but then it just became sad. The flipside of that though is that why would they make the ID a physical item to be carried if that wasn't at least part of the intention? I mean I guess they just didn't account for it and I'm kinda all for a rule against stealing items preventing people from even participating in the game because that's kinda lovely.

even so I ended up feeling really bad for Doohee by the end of it, poor guy. :(
I still think something is wrong with Jiwon, like he's legitimately irl a piece of poo poo, based on the death match that episode. How could you do something like that to someone? If he didn't want to help Doohee why wouldn't he just say? What an rear end.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I mean, it's a game

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

So Doohee wasn't really crying? There's no such thing as cruelty, if something is taking place within a game?

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Yes, it's a game. That doesn't excuse anyone forgoing common decency.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Goons don't understand human emotions, go figure.

Doohee was basically being bullied by the cool kids.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Subyng posted:

Goons don't understand human emotions, go figure.

Doohee was basically being bullied by the cool kids.
And people say the characters on Scorpion are unrealistic. :smug:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I'm just saying the dude was playing within the rules of the game, on a television show, for money. I understand why Doohee would be really bummed, but at the same time, y'know, it doesn't make the other guy an rear end in a top hat.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I'm pretty sure the intention with the ID cards was so that you could trade it strategically with other people. Stealing it and entirely blocking him from playing the game, resulting in his loss and betraying him in the death match to top it off? Yeah, a bit of an rear end in a top hat move. Even if they never outright said you can't steal ID cards, blocking someone's chances to even play surely goes against the spirit of the game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

even if something is within the rules it can be an rear end in a top hat move, see constant tackling in sports or standing in the corner of a fighting game and spamming a ranged move

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
An rear end in a top hat move is still an rear end in a top hat move even if its within the rules.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Like breaking rules in stuff doesn't automatically make you an rear end in a top hat either. If you are being an rear end in a top hat you are being an rear end in a top hat. Its that simple.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Davincie posted:

even if something is within the rules it can be an rear end in a top hat move, see constant tackling in sports or standing in the corner of a fighting game and spamming a ranged move

The latter isn't an rear end in a top hat move. It just means you suck at fighting games. Just to make this clear.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

:siren: The pre-season press conference is up :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itd4sHkOdhk

Get your first taste of the new cast here.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Hm. the asian doctor lost his weird hairstyle

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
I'm not sure if it's intended by the translation or if it's close to the meaning of what he's saying, but Kim Junghoon seems really arrogant about S3's cast. Compared to S1, any subsequent participants of The Genius will definitely have knowledge from prior seasons. S3's cast may be smarter, but they're not going in blind. S1 will always be the best season, in my opinion, because of how they had to develop socially, intellectually as well as having the cunning, wisdom, and/or game sense to get through each challenge. If his arrogance keeps shining through, then I might have found the guy I want to see eliminated, unless he can actually be impressive enough to back up that arrogance.

vv That might be the case. I might reading into it too much. I'll be taking another look at the video because it's been a while since I've last seen it.

edit again: Actually you're right, he was humble during the player introductions. I'm a retard

BurningDance fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 1, 2014

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I didn't get that impression, I thought he was just complimenting his cast members. He seemed pretty humble in the cast intro video.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBB2bPwKWVg

Hope they have a lot of this again! So pumped for season3

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L85V0SKrKiQ

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
:dance: Gah this music is getting me too pumped for the next season! Stop it! :dance:

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I'm an idiot. still, i can't wait for this to come out.

Extreme ways better be back.

busb fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 2, 2014

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
If there's no Extreme Ways in the first episode, I'm ragequitting the season.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sacro posted:

First episode was great, and I was happy to see the first eliminated player was who it was, as he gave me an arrogant rear end in a top hat vibe. Though that wasn't even entirely his fault unless he was insisting that they get his IQ correct as if 3 points really needed a correction and fawning over for his introduction. The jump cuts to his twitching face might have had a lot to do with it too. The only better way to dunk that guy would have been the last trader giving him the 0. :black101:

Funny post from the first page now that everyones come around on Hweejong

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
I am so pumped up for the first episode of season 3 after I watched the 10 min video of episode 1 posted on Bumbdidlyumptious twitter. If Hweejong get's eliminated again on the first episode I am going to go crazy.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

You know, at first I was hoping Kang Yongseok would be the first to go, just because he's smug on Crime Scene and also apparently kind of a creep. But looking back over the cast, I'm hoping it'll be one of Oh Hyunmin or Kim Yoohyun because I keep mixing them up.

Leatherhead fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 2, 2014

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Silvain posted:

I am so pumped up for the first episode of season 3 after I watched the 10 min video of episode 1 posted on Bumbdidlyumptious twitter. If Hweejong get's eliminated again on the first episode I am going to go crazy.

Why did you tell me that was there ugh I can't wait to see the rest :negative:
I am so hyped for this season! This looks like a pretty solid cast (despite the lack of boy band members)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Was I imagining things or did I previously see a Genius 3 promo vid that had Jinho inside?

Midrena
May 2, 2009

CHiRAL posted:

Why did you tell me that was there ugh I can't wait to see the rest :negative:

You made me weak and I had to go watch it too! I love the way the rooms were decorated, they look amazing.

It still amuses me greatly that the videos are titled Bandage Sniffer still. I can't think too long and hard on that though, because then I go from being amused to being slightly disgusted/nauseated. :v:

Midrena fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 2, 2014

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Midrena posted:

It still amuses me greatly that the videos are titled Bandage Sniffer still. I can't think too long and hard on that though, because then I go from being amused to being slightly disgusted/nauseated. :v:

The bandages seem to be clean, though, so it shouldn't be that bad.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

alkanphel posted:

Was I imagining things or did I previously see a Genius 3 promo vid that had Jinho inside?

There was a S3 promo with Jinho and a fighting game style countdown overlaid. Guess that was just a thing relating to being the next Jinho, rather than him turning up again. Which is, well, fair enough; he's been in the past two already. Might as well let someone else have a crack at being awesome.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dragonatrix posted:

There was a S3 promo with Jinho and a fighting game style countdown overlaid. Guess that was just a thing relating to being the next Jinho, rather than him turning up again. Which is, well, fair enough; he's been in the past two already. Might as well let someone else have a crack at being awesome.

Yeah that's true. Wouldn't mind seeing him appear as a cameo or an assistant like when they invited guests to pair up with them.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppru-LIxa90

Fruit shop sounds particularly game theory-like.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Um, Season 3 Genius, please stop stealing my games.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh god I am going to get PTSD now when I watch this show.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Asiina posted:

Um, Season 3 Genius, please stop stealing my games.

No, it's cool, none of the fruits were peanuts

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Symbolic Butt posted:

Also I got the idea for Fruit Stand (which is essentially the same game) by reading up on game theory.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Reminder that idiotape is amazing live if you ever get the chance to see them do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Symbolic Butt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppru-LIxa90

Interesting. My immediate reaction is that it would be better to finish the race to the bottom immediately and reap the early income rather than try to play for first. Unless you're in a group with players following the same strategy, you'd get on average 9000 out of the first round, then diminishing returns on each subsequent round. Your minimum possible income with this strategy is 8000, but that's only if every other player you interact with uses the exact same strategy. In a group this large I suspect that there will be at least one player scoring lower than that, and using the obfuscation abilities properly and a little bit of backstabbing means that you might be able to get the maximum potential income from this strategy two rounds in a row. I suspect that would put you firmly in the middle of the pack for the final tallies.

I wonder if you can trade and have two of the same fruit. If you and another player with one of the four fruits agree to do this, you can get a cartel going that guarantees 10,000 income for at least that round.

I'm looking forward to see how this plays out with these guys.