Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Vavrek posted:

B - Yay kids.

Also, I support breaking with tradition to teach Ruth practical skills.

Hell yeah. If not direct combat skills then survival, first aid, tracking, etc. gently caress, we could even have her do the manhood ritual on the sly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I don't think I am going to finish the update tonight at this rate, sorry folks.

Theparker posted:

Dio, how big is Asahel, and Ruth compared to those of their age?
Asahel is about the size a well Blooded youth is expected to be at his young age, which is only slightly larger than normal.

Ruth is short by Zepathan standards.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Diogines posted:

I don't think I am going to finish the update tonight at this rate, sorry folks.

Asahel is about the size a well Blooded youth is expected to be at his young age, which is only slightly larger than normal.

Ruth is short by Zepathan standards.

Perfect! More for people to underestimate her :black101:

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Task Manager posted:

:lol:

I loving told you it was way too much detail to sway Tudiya. Had to go and rebold the second half. Nice job spergiest of the spergs, LCT. :smuggo:

B, yeah adopt them, why the hell not. Naomi does all the heavy lifting anyways.

Also, I hope the prophecy was one of those "No matter what" kind of deals, and our adopted children somehow break the world.

Lol I fuckin stated clearly the first half was our real vote and the second was future planning. If Dio really did take it as a whole then lmao

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Bareenchat: I'd just like to point out that whatever her claims of power were, the fact is that it took two of the most blooded kings this side of Baitel several hours to beat her down. Given the nature of how it went down, and how hosed up Tudiya was afterwards, it's very possible that she could've stomped him one on one. So sure, she wasn't the grand demigod she boasted of being, but to dismiss her because she lied is pretty stupid. Whatever the source of her power, she was loving strong.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Pladdicus posted:

Where does everyone think Bareen derived her power from?

"She" was likely a eunuch that posed as a woman to further confuse Zepathans and sway them away from both the faith of El and the teachings of Labaras.

*edit* Also demons.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
A - yes take both, don't split them up. If possible, double check with Naomi that she wants these kids.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Why don't we have everyone in the room take the kids. Solomon style. Like a pie.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

hiddenriverninja posted:

Somehow I knew that was going to be Diog's answer.

Re: Ruth aka The Worldbreaker Enkidel's daughter

Keep it secret, but if anyone finds out what we're doing with/for her, simply state the following:

"A man may do with his property what he sees fit, can he not? Whether beast or grain or flesh or tool, it is for his own ends. And while a tool may not bear a man's name, it certainly bears his will. Whether the head of one of my arrows kills a man or seeks a training target, that is my prerogative. I tell the flute what notes it can sing. And if a tool needs sharpening, I will sharpen it."

For the purpose of this training, Ruth is simply our property. She is a means to an end.

- Take Ruth along for family hunting trips under the guise of teaching her how to cook and provide party support
- teach her stealth, tracking and survival skills, archery, self defense, disguises
- someone should teach her medicine (first aid and apothecary knowledge (esp poisons))
- small weaponry (or weapons that can easily be disguised

I am so down for Ruth: Aveline's Creed you don't even know

So you propose making her a ninja to hide along the river? I'm shocked that you would say such a thing.

I also think gently caress yes. I love that quote you wrote.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Speleothing posted:

A - yes take both, don't split them up. If possible, double check with Naomi that she wants these kids.

That's a B vote bro.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
A. No

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Vavrek posted:

So you propose making her a ninja to hide along the river? I'm shocked that you would say such a thing.

I also think gently caress yes. I love that quote you wrote.

Agreed.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

A Terrible Person posted:

"She" was likely a eunuch that posed as a woman to further confuse Zepathans and sway them away from both the faith of El and the teachings of Labaras.

*edit* Also demons.

You're a terrible person. Bareen was our one true love. You poo poo lords love babies. Think about how powerful our babies would have been.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Regarding Ruth: I support plan hiddenriverninja.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Okay, look, before we go all Ruth is a Ninja or anything, let's run the idea past Danal, okay? He's already grumpy with our "stealing" her in the first place. Let's not widen that rift needlessly, okay?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

B

Anyone else find it pretty convenient that us, a highly Blooded dude that is favored by El and cannot have kids, just ran into some circumstances where we can have two more highly Blooded sons?

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Poor girl probably just wants to live a normal life and fit in, but adopted dad is spergin about her being crouching cannibal hidden housewife.

Also RE: Bareen I thought we trained with staffs and cleaned around her temple? We just kind of hung out with Paebel and did whatever it seemed. We definitely weren't made to go there though, we went on our own because that's where all the adventurers were.

Also I might be in the minority but I think most of what Bareen said was probably based in truth (or at least she felt it was the truth) - I feel like she even deluded herself into believing most of it by the end.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I vote that we divide the kids between the willing parties in equal parts, so that each may have their fair share of the Blooded Spoils.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

jng2058 posted:

Okay, look, before we go all Ruth is a Ninja or anything, let's run the idea past Danal, okay? He's already grumpy with our "stealing" her in the first place. Let's not widen that rift needlessly, okay?

I'm sure they would enjoy spend time training together.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Babies!

Also +1 for educating Ruth to do Rad Things.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Task Manager posted:

Poor girl probably just wants to live a normal life and fit in, but adopted dad is spergin about her being crouching cannibal hidden housewife.

Also RE: Bareen I thought we trained with staffs and cleaned around her temple? We just kind of hung out with Paebel and did whatever it seemed. We definitely weren't made to go there though, we went on our own because that's where all the adventurers were.

Also I might be in the minority but I think most of what Bareen said was probably based in truth (or at least she felt it was the truth) - I feel like she even deluded herself into believing most of it by the end.

Bareen's words and actions were often contradictory, at least in our interactions with her. This was even pointed out by some posters before she tried kidnapping us. I don't trust Bareen in the slightest, she's a proven liar and virtually everything else she said can be explained away by the explanation Ishamal gave in one of his few times he actually explained a bit of what was up with her.

Before she kidnapped us she was even telling us that she would simply leave Zepath if we refused her. She also said she had no need for Danal, and advised us against bringing him, yet decided to randomly snag him on her way out too. She had an agenda she didn't reveal and it was unlikely to be a good one for us.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mike Gallego posted:

Bareen's words and actions were often contradictory, at least in our interactions with her. This was even pointed out by some posters before she tried kidnapping us. I don't trust Bareen in the slightest, she's a proven liar and virtually everything else she said can be explained away by the explanation Ishamal gave in one of his few times he actually explained a bit of what was up with her.

Before she kidnapped us she was even telling us that she would simply leave Zepath if we refused her. She also said she had no need for Danal, and advised us against bringing him, yet decided to randomly snag him on her way out too. She had an agenda she didn't reveal and it was unlikely to be a good one for us.

I'm honestly tired of you besmirching Bareen. Diog writes the story, not you.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Tsyni posted:

I barely post about Bareen.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mike Gallego posted:

Well, I reported you either way. Hopefully you'll be banned and won't be able to do it again.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Tsyni posted:

Mike Gallego posted:

El damnit, just eat each other's dicks and get it over with

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

HiHo ChiRho posted:

El damnit, just eat each other's dicks and get it over with

We are constantly doing this already.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Mike Gallego posted:

Added a bit more, but that's up to El to decide, not folks like Ishamal or Zebanetha. Or I think that's how they'd look at it. And the city smited was less for not properly punishing them, and more that everyone in the city embraced the heresy. After a gently caress ton of warnings to stop too. El doesn't just smite the gently caress out of folks without warning; we were sent to warn King Zobah, for instance.

edit: Ishamal straight out says he considered the Melachim worshipers and Bareen to be harmless fools for the most part too. Whether it's true, who can say, but he's definitely not a dude that advises drastic action against people for the most part. Except us and our junk.

JT Jag posted:

I think Ish and Zeb thought that, by giving the Melachim worshipers space, by using a gentle touch, they could in time be convinced to return to the flock or at least remain productive citizens. And it worked in some cases.

While both completely possible, these are pure speculation on your part. I'm not asking what his possible motivation COULD be, I'm wondering if we should ask what it actually was. I think the fact that the spiritual leader of the city counseled that the Melachim worshipers should be allowed autonomy could be very pertinent when the Paebel situation inevitably comes to a head. I want to know what that reason was.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Neraren posted:

While both completely possible, these are pure speculation on your part. I'm not asking what his possible motivation COULD be, I'm wondering if we should ask what it actually was. I think the fact that the spiritual leader of the city counseled that the Melachim worshipers should be allowed autonomy could be very pertinent when the Paebel situation inevitably comes to a head. I want to know what that reason was.
No, Ishamal explicitly said he considered them foolish but mostly harmless. He even said mercy is never misplaced at the time.

quote:

"I thought Bareen well harmless, or, harmless enough anyway. You say what happened to the city, it could have been far worse. The woman was a fool and doubly so to do it on a day when Rimush visited. Mercy is never misplaced, Enkidel, even when it comes to ill."

He might be lying I guess. But Ishamal gave his reasoning for this decision.

And the story of the city being warned a bunch isn't speculation, but literally the story of the city smited for Melachim worship. And our own personal experience backs up the pattern of people being warned.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Mike Gallego posted:

No, Ishamal explicitly said he considered them foolish but mostly harmless. He even said mercy is never misplaced at the time.

He might be lying I guess. But Ishamal gave his reasoning for this decision.

And the story of the city being warned a bunch isn't speculation, but literally the story of the city smited for Melachim worship. And our own personal experience backs up the pattern of people being warned.

I was specifically curious about Zebanetha's reasons rather than Ish.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Neraren posted:

I was specifically curious about Zebanetha's reasons rather than Ish.

Zebanetha's reasoning is a bit of a mystery, but I suspect we will get a similar response if/when we ask him as we got from Ishamal. They seem to often be on the same page if you look back over all the times we've seen them advising the king. Aaron is a bit more militant than they are but he also tends towards this, particularly as he's gotten older.

In fact we should ask him.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 2, 2014

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Yeah, that went about as well as could be expected. At least we weren't proposing an olive branch to Barkof.

B + F. Naomi wants a large family and she knows (more or less) that we can't normally give her a lot of kids. What's not to like? We could ask her permission if we want, but frankly from everything we know about her I think she's going to jump for the opportunity with both hands and yell "WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST SAY YES ALREADY?!"

Leaving Naomi aside, David's got a small case of hero worship going on with us already and he doesn't really know anyone else in Zepath. It'd also suck to break up the two brothers, so take 'em both in a package.

Edit:

Mike Gallego posted:

In fact we should ask him.

Let's ask him right now, in the middle of the council, in front of everyone else.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mike Gallego posted:

This is a fairly decent summation of what she was.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Naomi is getting old here. It's going to be weird soon when we look young and she's an old lady. Time to get some younger wives to take care of the older one.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Mike Gallego posted:

Like I said - I think a lot of what she said was based in truth, and it had gotten to the point she even deluded herself. I certainly never said we should trust her or her words were 100% truth, though hindsight is 20/20.

Besides promising to just leave peacefully if we denied her, I don't feel she flat out lied about much at all. I certainly don't think she was a liar; highly deluded? Almost certainly.

Edit: Even the "If you come with me leave Danal we don't need him," I think was the truth - she only kidnapped him because at that point she needed him as a captive to keep us in line as an unwilling participant.

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 2, 2014

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Task Manager posted:

Like I said - I think a lot of what she said was based in truth, and it had gotten to the point she even deluded herself. I certainly never said we should trust her or her words were 100% truth, though hindsight is 20/20.

Besides promising to just leave peacefully if we denied her, I don't feel she flat out lied about much at all. I certainly don't think she was a liar; highly deluded? Almost certainly.

Edit: Even the "If you come with me leave Danal we don't need him," I think was the truth - she only kidnapped him because at that point she needed him as a captive to keep us in line as an unwilling participant.

There was at least one thing she said that was provably false even at the moment she said it and which we really should have figured out earlier - her claim that Tudiya didn't pimp us out to all the Zepathan ladies because "The less seed is spilled, the stronger it is." Given how Tudiya has so many daughters he probably doesn't remember all their names...well, that really does look a lot more like deliberate manipulation than some form of self-delusion.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

Tomn posted:

There was at least one thing she said that was provably false even at the moment she said it and which we really should have figured out earlier - her claim that Tudiya didn't pimp us out to all the Zepathan ladies because "The less seed is spilled, the stronger it is." Given how Tudiya has so many daughters he probably doesn't remember all their names...well, that really does look a lot more like deliberate manipulation than some form of self-delusion.

Could that not partly explain why he's only had daughters and one son though too? His promiscuity has weakened his potential?

(Doesn't explain why he didn't have a son first, sure - but was she necessarily talking about ability to procreate being the strong thing?)

It just seems to me that people think because she tried kidnapping us, all of a sudden everything she ever said was lies lies lies, when I think a lot of it might not be.

Sure, the Temple of El did not force us to stay in Baitel upon arrival, she was deluded about that; but they sure as hell tried to recruit us like she said they would.

Yeah, she couldn't beat Tudiya and Rimush in a fight and was deluded about her own strength, but does that mean she wasn't who she said she was?

Edit: Actually I see what you mean about the point on Tudiya - he wouldn't value "saving the seed" to produce strength, if he himself doesn't seem to follow that train of thought. Good point.

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 2, 2014

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Task Manager posted:

Edit: Actually I see what you mean about the point on Tudiya - he wouldn't value "saving the seed" to produce strength, if he himself doesn't seem to follow that train of thought. Good point.

Yeah, that's the main point I was getting at. Her explanation of Tudiya's intentions and thoughts as far as this stuff was concerned was pretty clearly bullshit since his actions didn't match her claims. Now it seems like there's two possible explanations here - either she was deliberately lying to manipulate us into distrusting every authority figure she's opposed to, or she's got tinfoil hat paranoia going on. The thing is, if she is in fact wearing a tinfoil hat, her paranoia seems almost universally directed at things that threaten US, not her, which seems more than a little strange. In any event, if she's crazy, why should we take anything she says at face value? Both ways, there doesn't seem to be any particular reason to trust much of what she says.

The examples you bought up don't seem particularly compelling to me, either. She didn't just say the Temple of El would force us to stay in Baitel - she said the Temple of El would use mind-control magic to force us to become a priest and Ishamal was in on it. As it turns out, the Temple wanted us to become a wandering troubleshooter hero for El instead of a priest, did not use mind-control magic or force us, and Ishamal actually advised against joining the Temple. Against that, "Well, they DID try to recruit us!" doesn't seem to go much towards redressing the trustworthiness scales.

As for her not beating Tudiya and Rimush in a fight...well, so what? She misrepresented her own strength, and it's certainly possible that she was simply overconfident instead of manipulative, but how can we tell either way? Why exactly should we think that she was who she said she was? That really is the rub when it comes to trusting Bareen - what reason do we have to believe anything she says? Whether she's a liar or a lunatic, a significant portion of what she's said has been proven to be bullshit after the fact, and even the stuff that is in some ways true isn't quite true in the way she presented it. Given that her later actions haven't exactly put her in the best of lights, why should we believe a thing is true if the only evidence for it is Bareen's word? Not to say that we should disbelieve literally everything she said because she was the one who said it, but shouldn't the burden of proof rest more heavily upon her, so to speak?

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
I wonder if the magic trick Bareen was trying to power up right there at the end was Create Tunnel to Underworld? She probably didn't need to directly sacrifice any folks for it because she'd been storing up a large amount of [PIE] over decades she could draw from.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

Tomn posted:

Given that her later actions haven't exactly put her in the best of lights, why should we believe a thing is true if the only evidence for it is Bareen's word? Not to say that we should disbelieve literally everything she said because she was the one who said it, but shouldn't the burden of proof rest more heavily upon her, so to speak?

That's a great argument for why we shouldn't have trusted her, but like I said a few times now I'm not arguing we should have trusted her. My original response was for the "Bareen was a crazy demon worshipping witch and everything she ever said was lies," contingent, which I think is a foolish position to have.

Like you yourself said, what reason do we have to trust her? None, really, because she had one scene of exposition and then immeadiately got killed. We really have no way of validating much of what she said, since we know next to nothing about her except for what she herself said and what the El contingent said, and both were obviously covered in layers of bias to wade through.

Bareen was deluded, and likely did tell us a lot of what we wanted to hear in that one scene we had with her to try and get us to come along- there's nothing to say that if we had gone with her peacefully, she would have just cackled to herself and then sacrificed us instantly though. She truly seemed to believe most of the poo poo that wasn't blatant attempts to turn us against Tudiya and the crew.

All I'm getting at is, yes, we shouldn't have trusted her or taken her at face value, and see obviously had a strong anti-el bias - but that doesn't mean there might not be some value to what she told us buried beneath it all.

rex monday posted:

I wonder if the magic trick Bareen was trying to power up right there at the end was Create Tunnel to Underworld? She probably didn't need to directly sacrifice any folks for it because she'd been storing up a large amount of [PIE] over decades she could draw from.

Man; if she had been doing that and pulled it off, what a shitshow the aftermath of that would have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

It would be hilariously ironic if these are the kids that break the world.