Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Both their answers are terrible and unspecific; at least Davis' attacks are good. She's a terrible public speaker and is giving mealy-mouthed answers and I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Greg Abbot: good at rolling.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Greg Abbot: good at rolling.

:golfclap:

Edit: Any actual question, does anyone have experience with Battleground Texas? I was thinking of volunteering with them here in Dallas.

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 1, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Every time I walk by the Kinky Friedman humidor in Specs I want to give it the finger.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Nick Soapdish posted:

:golfclap:

Edit: Any actual question, does anyone have experience with Battleground Texas? I was thinking of volunteering with them here in Dallas.

I work with BGTX here in Dallas. The first post of this thread is still valid. Or you can PM me and I can help point you in the right direction.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

To answer my own question about Lt. Gov polling, the newest Lyceum poll that put it at 49/40 Abbott/Davis has it 47/33 Patrick/VDP :(

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Davis had run for Lt. Governor, would she have had a better shot. VDP doesn't seem like a very strong candidate at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think AG would've been a better slot for her, her money would've made a real difference there. Also name the republican GOP AG candidate! I can, but I bet 90% of people have never heard of him.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

I think AG would've been a better slot for her, her money would've made a real difference there. Also name the republican GOP AG candidate! I can, but I bet 90% of people have never heard of him.

I think that's part of the issue with VDP though - no one's heard of her. There's 20% undecided in that poll you posted as is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

computer parts posted:

I think that's part of the issue with VDP though - no one's heard of her. There's 20% undecided in that poll you posted as is.

Patrick's the same way though, they're all state senators. VDP has been cochair of the 2008 DNC, chair of the National Hispanic Caucus of Hispanic State Legislators, chair of NCSL, in political circles she's got recognition and connections to raise money.

Part of the problem is that Davis is the only Democrat in Texas with any recognition at all, and that's why they pushed her into running for Governor.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Part of the problem is that Davis is the only Democrat in Texas with any recognition at all, and that's why they pushed her into running for Governor.

Also Davis was going to lose her senate seat sooner rather than later. She made herself a big target and Texas state senate seats are some of the most expensive districts to run in due to their size and media markets. Her running for governor is at least going out with a bang.

You hit the nail on the head: there aren't good candidates in the TDP. This is because TDP is a crippled organization.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Ninkobei posted:

I wonder if Davis had run for Lt. Governor, would she have had a better shot. VDP doesn't seem like a very strong candidate at all.

Honestly, I find Van Der Putte to be a better candidate than Wendy Davis.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Whenever I feel like being sad/angry I try to list out in my head all the awful things that the new legislature, LTGov, and Gov are going to do.

I'm guessing tree protection ordinances are going to be a target, as well as things like the Austin bag ban, any city non-discrimination laws, and of course school funding.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Campus carry, open carry, further abortion restrictions, if not the outright mythical ban to force the SCOTUS case, vouchers, regressive tax increase, etc.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

blackguy32 posted:

Honestly, I find Van Der Putte to be a better candidate than Wendy Davis.

VDP is dull as hell wheres the passion,Wendys not any better. Personally they're about even. Honestly Democrats have a real problem in general they pick the dullest killjoy candidates possible. They really need to look at who/how they're raising to future leadership. Pick someone who hasn't gone to an Ivy league school that shits mandatory for the Presidency but not anywhere else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

VDP is dull as hell wheres the passion,Wendys not any better. Personally they're about even. Honestly Democrats have a real problem in general they pick the dullest killjoy candidates possible. They really need to look at who/how they're raising to future leadership.

Oh hang on now she said "What does a woman senator have to do to be heard over a man" and everyone was like 'oooooh" even though she probably has as much floor time as any senator ever.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

Whenever I feel like being sad/angry I try to list out in my head all the awful things that the new legislature, LTGov, and Gov are going to do.

I'm guessing tree protection ordinances are going to be a target, as well as things like the Austin bag ban, any city non-discrimination laws, and of course school funding.

Has any candidate stated their intentions to target tree protection ordinances or is that just a guess? That is some serious villain-from-Captain-Planet poo poo and on what grounds are they opposed to the ordinances? Is it a case of trees boosting property value and them not wanting to pay more property tax?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They took a shot at it last session.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice
drat, I missed hearing about that. Not that anyone could force them to, but everyone opposed to tree protection ordinances should be required to spend a full day outside in the middle of the summer (though they would probably make a case about "this is why we have AC" instead of learning anything from the experience).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry it was two sessions ago.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

karlor posted:

Has any candidate stated their intentions to target tree protection ordinances or is that just a guess? That is some serious villain-from-Captain-Planet poo poo and on what grounds are they opposed to the ordinances? Is it a case of trees boosting property value and them not wanting to pay more property tax?

For the most part good developers will want to keep the trees healthy and build around them because like you say they add value and desirability. But while landscaping is really expensive it is a hell of a lot cheaper to develop most parcels of land if you can clearcut.

That isn't to say the tree ordinances are not being used for less than environmentally driven reasons: NIMBY groups have been using them to block any development they don't like as you can't build a big box store or mall when there is a protected tree smack in the middle of the property. I think this is a lot of the cause of the backlash, or at least isn't helping.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Shifty Pony posted:

good developers

Found your problem.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Found your problem.

Ha. Shockingly there are actually a lot of them out there but the bad ones are just so comically evil that they overshadow any good ones.

For example in my neighborhood there is a frenzy of teardowns going on. At least four of the companies I know of do everything right: they implement tree protections without being forced, police the job site to keep debris and mud from getting into the road, give the neighbors their number, hire contractors that don't start before 7, and build things on the lots customized to the lot and which blend in really well with the neighborhood. But then there is another developer that does none of those things and has people flipping out because having one of his projects nearby means you are going to get woken up at 6:20 AM daily (including the weekend), your house will get paint overspray, and you should probably have the tire shop on speed dial for a few patches assuming you can get out of your driveway because it is likely going to be blocked by a truck. I've even heard real estate agents swearing about how lovely the guy is, and that's impressive.

ugh that reminds me of something that won't get fixed due to the rightward swing: there's pretty much zero chance in getting teeth put into the law to tackle the problem of sleazy subcontractors misclassifying their employees as independent contractors.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Ha. Shockingly there are actually a lot of them out there but the bad ones are just so comically evil that they overshadow any good ones.

For example in my neighborhood there is a frenzy of teardowns going on. At least four of the companies I know of do everything right: they implement tree protections without being forced, police the job site to keep debris and mud from getting into the road, give the neighbors their number, hire contractors that don't start before 7, and build things on the lots customized to the lot and which blend in really well with the neighborhood. But then there is another developer that does none of those things and has people flipping out because having one of his projects nearby means you are going to get woken up at 6:20 AM daily (including the weekend), your house will get paint overspray, and you should probably have the tire shop on speed dial for a few patches assuming you can get out of your driveway because it is likely going to be blocked by a truck. I've even heard real estate agents swearing about how lovely the guy is, and that's impressive.

ugh that reminds me of something that won't get fixed due to the rightward swing: there's pretty much zero chance in getting teeth put into the law to tackle the problem of sleazy subcontractors misclassifying their employees as independent contractors.

Do you live on the east side?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Do you live on the east side?

Crestview.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

SirKibbles posted:

VDP is dull as hell wheres the passion,Wendys not any better. Personally they're about even. Honestly Democrats have a real problem in general they pick the dullest killjoy candidates possible. They really need to look at who/how they're raising to future leadership. Pick someone who hasn't gone to an Ivy league school that shits mandatory for the Presidency but not anywhere else.

I'm a huge fan of Bill White (volunteered for his gov. campaign) and Annise Parker, but they're definitely on the wonky/technocratic end of the spectrum, which is great for Houston but doesn't resonate on a state level.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

karlor posted:

There's also a bit of a history of the legislator trying to take a poo poo on the city of Austin whenever possible, especially if it's going to result in a liberal policy getting overturned.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I wonder how Abbott stands on tree protection laws :v:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I wonder how Abbott stands on tree protection laws :v:

Not well.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Rick Perry apparently super busted resorts to rules lawyering

http://www.texastribune.org/2014/10/03/perry-attorneys-say-special-pros-never-took-oath/

Texas Tribune posted:

Lawyers for Gov. Rick Perry on Friday filed a request to dismiss the indictment against the governor, saying the special prosecutor in the case was not properly sworn in.

"Insofar as the records on file in these cases reflect, [special prosecutor Michael] McCrum, the purported attorney pro tem, is acting illegally because the basic procedural requirements have been overlooked," attorneys Tony Buzbee, Tom Phillips and David Botsford wrote in their filing with Travis County’s 390th District Court. The lawyers wrote that their allegations were based upon the district clerk's files in the case.

McCrum, who obtained the indictment against Perry in August, told The Texas Tribune that he was indeed sworn in.

"I don't know what they're talking about," said McCrum, who was sworn in as special prosecutor in August 2013.

A copy of the oath of office was obtained by the Tribune from the Travis County district clerk’s office.

Perry is charged with abusing his official power by threatening to veto $7.5 million in state funds from the state's public integrity unit unless Democratic Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg stepped down following a 2013 drunken driving arrest and conviction. The Travis County DA's office oversees the state-financed public integrity unit. Lehmberg refused to resign, and Perry vetoed the money.

Because the case involves Lehmberg's office, a special prosecutor outside of the agency was appointed. McCrum was appointed by Visiting Judge Bert Richardson.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
That's interesting. Seems to indicate that there's a certain degree of panic in the Perry camp.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

zoux posted:

Campus carry, open carry, further abortion restrictions, if not the outright mythical ban to force the SCOTUS case, vouchers, regressive tax increase, etc.

The first two I can live with, the rest makes me want to cry.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 5, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

e_angst posted:

There's also a bit of a history of the legislator trying to take a poo poo on the city of Austin whenever possible, especially if it's going to result in a liberal policy getting overturned.

Pretty much. All the Republican legislators end up spending so much time in the liberal hell-hole (to them) that is Austin that they just start doing their best out of spite to dick over any attempts Austin has of not being a lovely distopian hell-hole of a city (more than the traffic problems already cause of course). And then they kick it up to a comically evil 11 because they know "sticking it to the lie-beruls" will play wonderfully back home.

1stGear posted:

That's interesting. Seems to indicate that there's a certain degree of panic in the Perry camp.

Open the bloodgates! :unsmigghh:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

quote:

"I don't know what they're talking about," said McCrum, who was sworn in as special prosecutor in August 2013.

I love this so much for some reason.

Rick Perry: I don't know what they're talking about.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alkydere posted:

Pretty much. All the Republican legislators end up spending so much time in the liberal hell-hole (to them) that is Austin that they just start doing their best out of spite to dick over any attempts Austin has of not being a lovely distopian hell-hole of a city (more than the traffic problems already cause of course). And then they kick it up to a comically evil 11 because they know "sticking it to the lie-beruls" will play wonderfully back home.

Most people don't know who their state senator is and even if they do they're not going to care about what amounts to local ordinances in a city they don't live in.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

computer parts posted:

Most people don't know who their state senator is and even if they do they're not going to care about what amounts to local ordinances in a city they don't live in.

Yes, but for every 20 people who don't know and likely doesn't vote, there will be one little old spiteful grandma or grandpa who does know and who does vote and loves seeing what their state senator does and loves every single spiteful thing they do to the elitist liberals in Austin.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

For people who don't care about other cities' local ordinances, the texas legislature sure has a curious number of bills targeting things like Austin's plastic bag ban.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VitalSigns posted:

For people who don't care about other cities' local ordinances, the texas legislature sure has a curious number of bills targeting things like Austin's plastic bag ban.

I've literally never heard of any of them and I'm in the center of conservatism.

Are legislators trying to dick around Austin? Yeah, probably. Is it to win votes back home? No, probably not. It's because they're shitheads.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also the bag bans are spreading nothing the legislature can propose will survive the cities desire to clamp down on bag litter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Statewide unfunded plastic bag mandate.