Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It says the stylus is removable (well replaceable,) you could probably find something to replace it with. Or just cut it off? It's a nice looking pen, for that style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Random musing after my last purchase from Goulet:

God drat the Metropolitan is nice. I got two as gifts for friends of mine; was about to get one for myself but decided against it since I have a couple Lamy already, so I just got an M nib for my Safari (which it's just a bit broader than I was expecting, I made the mistake of judging against a Rotring F and forgot Japanese nibs run a bit thinner), and I was not expecting them to feel this good. Haven't taken them for a test ride since they're not mine, but I'll do it as soon as one of my friends ink hers up.

I was going to get a rose gold TWSBI 580 as my next pen, but I guess I'll just have to add one of these to the cart. Totally getting the violet leopard, I got that one for my friend and it's fabulous :allears:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So I just bought a TWSBI mini and the 1.1 stub is awesome! Unfortunately I bought noodlers apache sunset just for it but the ink runs super dry. Pen works fine with my iroshizuku ink and I did clean it out with a bit of ammonia so it's not just oil. Any advice on how to fix this? Not sure if I should water down the apache sunset like I do with rachmanioff, would stop buying noodlers inks if they weren't so pretty :argh:

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Found a cheapy at a tractor show flea market:

Real simple design, had some dried blue ink in the cart. Cleaned it out and refilled it with Quink. Writes nice and smooth.

Can't beat that price!

This is not a luxury pen. Feels cheap and has less weight than a Bic ballpoint. No frills. It does perform as it should though and the nib is smooth and even.

Anybody know the model?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Two quick questions: how do TWSBI nibs run compared to Lamys? I want to get a 580; I feel my Lamy medium nib runs a tiny bit on the broad side for me, but I don't want to get a 580 fine to realize it's two 'sizes' smaller than the Lamy.

And second: does the gold rose 580 come in 1.1 italic? It's not in Gouletpens, but I don't know if it's because they don't stock it or if the 1.1 just doesn't come gold plated, and it seems a bit of a shame getting a rose gold to swap the nib for a steel one.

Thanks!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Edmond Dantes posted:

And second: does the gold rose 580 come in 1.1 italic? It's not in Gouletpens, but I don't know if it's because they don't stock it or if the 1.1 just doesn't come gold plated, and it seems a bit of a shame getting a rose gold to swap the nib for a steel one.

TWSBI's store doesn't have any nib units for the rose gold (i.e., separate from the pens) in any size, and neither does Goulet or Anderson, so my guess is that they're just not selling individual rose gold nibs yet. Feel free to email TWSBI and ask, though, their customer service is fantastic.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Bertrand Hustle posted:

TWSBI's store doesn't have any nib units for the rose gold (i.e., separate from the pens) in any size, and neither does Goulet or Anderson, so my guess is that they're just not selling individual rose gold nibs yet. Feel free to email TWSBI and ask, though, their customer service is fantastic.

You know, I'm so used to customer service being utter shite in my country that I didn't even consider the possibility of just asking them.

I checked their store and you can't choose a 1.1 stub for the Rose Gold, so I think it confirms that it's just not being made at the moment. I dropped them an email, and I'll let you guys know if I get a response since I remember Cool Corn posting his 580 a few pages back and someone lamenting the lack of 1.1 stub for it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Edmond Dantes posted:

Two quick questions: how do TWSBI nibs run compared to Lamys? I want to get a 580; I feel my Lamy medium nib runs a tiny bit on the broad side for me, but I don't want to get a 580 fine to realize it's two 'sizes' smaller than the Lamy.

Thanks!

(excuse my dirty pen, I just filled it to write that and haven't wiped it off yet.)

The TWSBI F and Lamy M feel very similar to me, and obviously have very similar line widths. From what I've read here and from what I've experienced, the TWSBI nibs run on the large side.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Edmond Dantes posted:

You know, I'm so used to customer service being utter shite in my country that I didn't even consider the possibility of just asking them.

I checked their store and you can't choose a 1.1 stub for the Rose Gold, so I think it confirms that it's just not being made at the moment. I dropped them an email, and I'll let you guys know if I get a response since I remember Cool Corn posting his 580 a few pages back and someone lamenting the lack of 1.1 stub for it.

They're always super responsive and super willing to just send you parts for free. You'll probably have to pay for a nib, but they've sent me almost every other part of the pen without charge, and it's always been a cinch to replace parts given the design of the pen (they include a wrench and some silicone grease with every pen, so you know it's meant to be taken apart). I've purchased three pens from them now, and I'd be getting more if I didn't feel like I already had too drat many pens as it is.

If you have any sort of problem with a TWSBI pen, just drop Philip a line at twsbiinc@gmail.com and he'll get you sorted.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

COOL CORN posted:

(excuse my dirty pen, I just filled it to write that and haven't wiped it off yet.)

The TWSBI F and Lamy M feel very similar to me, and obviously have very similar line widths. From what I've read here and from what I've experienced, the TWSBI nibs run on the large side.

Hahaha, I remembered your post so I went back a few pages to check what size your nib was. Thanks for taking the time to do the comparison; fine seems like the size to go if I decide to go for the Rose Gold (it's so pretty :allears:) instead of the 1.1 stub, which I love and goes really well with my handwriting.

404notfound posted:

They're always super responsive and super willing to just send you parts for free. You'll probably have to pay for a nib, but they've sent me almost every other part of the pen without charge, and it's always been a cinch to replace parts given the design of the pen (they include a wrench and some silicone grease with every pen, so you know it's meant to be taken apart). I've purchased three pens from them now, and I'd be getting more if I didn't feel like I already had too drat many pens as it is.

If you have any sort of problem with a TWSBI pen, just drop Philip a line at twsbiinc@gmail.com and he'll get you sorted.

I'm reaching the "too many drat pens" level horribly fast, at least compared to the amount of writing I actually do; I was going to get a Metropolitan for myself now (I ranted about it on this same page), and was planning on getting a 580 further down the road, but it looks like my country's exchange rate with the US dollar is about to go to poo poo so I think I'll just pull the trigger now before I just can't justify it.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I just got a TWSBI Vac 700 and inked it up with Noodler's red-black. The ink looked much darker in another pen; it's pretty bright from this one, but I still like it. The real problem is that I'm getting inky fingers. The pen seems to be leaking just a little bit of ink from the threaded part of the section -- maybe from the O ring? I don't know; I don't have much experience with taking pens apart or anything. I loosened and then re-tightened the section and have put the pen aside for a little while. (I'll at least have to get the ink off of my fingers to know if any new ink is getting on them!)

I want to say that maybe I should re-apply some silicon grease to the section threads, but thought I'd ask here if anyone'd had a similar problem.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm reaching the "too many drat pens" level horribly fast

Been there, done that. Although I am seriously considering reducing the total number of FPs to under 30 atm. I've gotten to the point where I don't recall which pens I used a few days or weeks ago.

atholbrose posted:

I want to say that maybe I should re-apply some silicon grease to the section threads, but thought I'd ask here if anyone'd had a similar problem.

I have a TWSBI Mini and sometimes I get inky hands for no reason too. You might want to call their CS to be safe. The silicon grease is really just for lubricating the piston.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Alder posted:

Been there, done that. Although I am seriously considering reducing the total number of FPs to under 30 atm. I've gotten to the point where I don't recall which pens I used a few days or weeks ago.
THIRTY pens! :catstare: I'm at like 8 and I think it's too many.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

dino. posted:

THIRTY pens! :catstare: I'm at like 8 and I think it's too many.

No such thing as too many.

It is a goddamn addiction

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I can only name, like, four pens I want and don't have.

In order of most to least likely to get ever: Lamy 2000, TWSBI 580AL (only less likely because I already have a clear 580), Sheaffer Imperial II (I think it's called), Pelikan M800.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Alder posted:

I have a TWSBI Mini and sometimes I get inky hands for no reason too. You might want to call their CS to be safe. The silicon grease is really just for lubricating the piston.

:stare: I have 1 pen. Mind offloading some of those pens to me? :homebrew:

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I have a dozen or more, but only half of that are usable. But I buy vintage.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Y'all better not hang out on FPN, some of those bastards are pushing 100-200 pens.

i'm pushing 50 :(

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hahaha, my "too many pens" was 4. 3 actually, I gave one away as a present. Hm. I think I need a couple new pens. :v:

vvvvvvv Now write that in paper using one of the four pens you use per line. In different inks.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 2, 2014

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I have five pens but I only use four,
I don't use them much but yet I still want more,
I should start writing more things down and fill them a lot,
Because then I might actually use up all this ink that I bought.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I buy and sell all kinds of junk all the time. So the dozen I have now are 80% different than what I had three months ago. I bought a bag of old advertising pens for $20 and sold two of them for $45 each. Some of the vintage pens sell for ridiculous prices in non-functioning condition.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

CannedMacabre posted:

I buy and sell all kinds of junk all the time. So the dozen I have now are 80% different than what I had three months ago. I bought a bag of old advertising pens for $20 and sold two of them for $45 each. Some of the vintage pens sell for ridiculous prices in non-functioning condition.

Hey sell me a good working flex-nib pen! ;)

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
I had 9 pens at once, but then I gave the Vista away so that it could be somebody's first pen, and the Preppy's cap cracked and I have no idea what I did with it.

I only keep 4 of them inked up at once though! :gbsmith:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tochiazuma posted:

I have five pens but I only use four,
I don't use them much but yet I still want more,
I should start writing more things down and fill them a lot,
Because then I might actually use up all this ink that I bought.

:golfclap:

I think picking up a Falcon in the next couple of months should finish off my collection for the foreseeable future. Six is a nice round number, right?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

howe_sam posted:

:golfclap:

I think picking up a Falcon in the next couple of months should finish off my collection for the foreseeable future. Six is a nice round number, right?

Well really, 6 is the tipping point to round up to 10, sooooo...

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

17 pens. I just like all the pretty colors...

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

This is what I carry every day, all are inked. The zebra highlighter has Noodler's Dragon Pink.

L to R it's Noodler's Heart of Darkness, Noodler's Turquoise Eel, Sailor Jentle Apricot, De Atramentis Aubergine, Private Reserve Purple Mojo, PR Spearmint, Diamine Cerise, Waterman Florida Blue, Ku-Jaku.

I need more school pens. No red, only one green, no brown, only two purples..

I have ~10 vintage pens that don't get bumped around in my bag.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
One

Single

TWSBI 580

And one single bottle of that catfish blue Noodler's ink.

...You animals

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Yeah that's a lot of pens...

I have a Lamy Al-Star. I've had two Pilot Metros but I gave them both away cause I just use the one pen in day to day service.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Of things I bought, I have a Safari that I carry with a little notebook, a 580 I use at my desk, and a Metro F for when I need to take really densely written notes. I have bottles of Ancient Copper and 54th. As far as gifts go, I have an italic Joy that came in a fancy tin, two vintage pens, some ink samples, and a bottle of Alt Goldgrun. I've thought about what else I'd get, but it feels like I'm sitting on too drat much stuff as it is.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I carry two jinhaos (x450 and x165, lamy red and a mix of lamy red and black), a platinum preppy with noodler's heart of darkness, and a safari with lamy blue to work.

I actually take notes with all of them and need to reink them weekly.
Even the preppy. I need to get silicone grease. And a wider variety of inks.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
On my desk at work I currently have two Metros inked (one EF and one with a Plumix italic nib), two 78Gs (F and B), a Sheaffer No Nonsense (1.1 italic), and a Konrad (Goulet 1.5 italic). They all have different colors of ink but I don't remember off the top of my head what exactly is in each of them. I like having different sizes and colors on hand but always keep one with blue and one with black since I have to sign things and fill out forms that need to look sort of professional. :v:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Tightened the section on it last night and used the Vac 700 all day for work today. No ink on the fingers. Think I'm good, on that score at least.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.
I carry a Stipula da Vinci in black, an Omas 360 Vintage Ruthenium, and a Pilot Custom 823 to work as everyday carry inside a pelican 3-pen pouch that I don't particularly like, but meh it works. I also leave a Lamy Al-Star at work in case I need something less attention grabbing.

I know logically that the Stipula isn't the best everyday pen with its 3 1/4 twist-to-turn mechanism and normal converter ink capacity, but god drat it looks amazing and the twist movement that reveals a full size nib is just the best. It's probably my favourite pen to use.

I've been meaning to replace my Pilot Custom 823 since I hardly use it, but I'm not ready to drop the cash required for an M1005 demonstrator I'd like to replace it with. Besides, I've got about 12 more pens sitting at home literally collecting dust, including two viscontis that, while nice, just don't match up to the two other Italian pens I carry.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Everything Burrito posted:

On my desk at work I currently have two Metros inked (one EF and one with a Plumix italic nib).

Oh, I had forgotten you can swap the Plumix and the Metro's nibs. How hard is it to swap them, and how's the plumix nib behave?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh, I had forgotten you can swap the Plumix and the Metro's nibs. How hard is it to swap them, and how's the plumix nib behave?

Very easy. It's nice and smooth as well. One thing I like about it is it gives me a smaller-width italic; I'm not sure of the actual size but it is slightly more narrow than the 1.1 nibs I have.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I have a green apple Lamy 1.5 stub inked up with a Lamy blue cartridge at work right now, had my Metro with just black ink here with it but took it home a few days ago. The Vac 700 is still inked up and sitting beside my bed, I think, and the freebie eyedropper Preppy is perpetually inked with HoD and sitting on the shelf under my coffee table. My vintage Scheaffer needs to be cleaned, as does my custom stone pen.

Next up for the rotation once the currently inked pens run dry either my TWSBI 530, the Sailor 1911 Realo, the Pilot VP, or my Monteverde Invincia Black Tie. Leaning towards the 530 or the Invincia since it's been a while since I've used those. I also have some pens that were either just in the rotation or are either broken or a mild hassle to use, and I'm probably forgetting some. I have 3 Iroshizuku inks (Syo-Ro, Ina-Ho, and Chiku-Rin), HoD, another noodler's somewhere that I'm forgetting, and a bottle of Diamine Steel Blue.

Haven't really gotten anything new in a while, maybe the addiction can be cured with a certain level of saturation.

Edit: Just checked and the last pen I got was the stone one over a year ago. Last ink I think was the Chiku-Rin and Ina-Ho and that was probably a year and a half or two years ago. It was whenever they became available.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 3, 2014

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Going to Maido today in San Francisco. I want a nice shady ink and some new stationery! gently caress! :10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

aldantefax posted:

Going to Maido today in San Francisco. I want a nice shady ink and some new stationery! gently caress! :10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Don't think I've been there yet, but the Maido on Santana Row has most of the Iroshizuku inks. You know what you need to do :retrogames:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Not sure if this will get me made fun of in this thread, but does anyone have good recommendations for a good ball-point or gel pen? I use G-2's at work but their performance is spotty sometimes and I want something that's more of something nice that I'll keep around and not just chuck when it runs low on ink.