Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

I just think it's so weird because he's simultaneously saying both "Well, of course women should be able to wear whatever they want." and "Shouldn't have worn that if she didn't wanna get raped"

oh, I thought you were highlighting what here would be considered an aberrant opinion being written by a Pulitzer winning film critic, exposing the gulf in attitude between the morons who write stern socially conscious criticism and the genius who loved titties and wrote beyond the valley of the dolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello Front Page Discussion posters. Respect the Mods and Writers: Please do not harass or intentionally annoy the mods or insult the front page writers.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

why not

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
If the people writing for the front page have decided that writing the most obtuse, unfunny, pseudopolitical poo poo on earth will attract readers and potential members, telling them how much of a bad idea that is isn't 'insulting' them.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Vargo posted:

I guest-starred on the Secret of the Sailor Madness this week, talking about A Goofy Movie. Here's a link to me and two Irish guys explaining why A Goofy Movie is great for over an hour. Listen to it, fools: http://secretofthesailormadness.blogspot.ie/2014/09/show-80-mahwty-mahwty-wake-up.html

There's even a bit where we talk about the relevance of Goofy dressing as a woman for a brief second. So there you go. Topical.

That's bad.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I'm glad you don't get paid

That's good.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Getting called slurs for homosexual people is all the payment I need!

That's bad.

my bitter bi rival posted:

-has the word homo for a paycheck

That's good.

...That's bad.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Grandmother of Five posted:

That's bad.

That's good.

That's bad.

That's good.

...That's bad.

nice i get the ref

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Did you ever think that maybe if they generated some respectable content and not drivel week after week you wouldn't run into this issue so much?

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
I don't feel it is harassment to notice that something someone makes is insanely bad.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
im sorry to have annoyed someone intentionally lol

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010
it would be cool if we were nice to the front page writers because we respected them and laughed at what they wrote instead of because ralp will punish us if we're not

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice
i think its very cool that the entire front page is basically an adhoc mental asylum for talentless hacks with extreme depression/anxiety who have to run and get the orderlies to straighten out anybody who hurts their feelings

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Who tattled on the thread being mean?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Richard Roeper.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Did you ever think that maybe if they generated some respectable content and not drivel week after week you wouldn't run into this issue so much?

An astute observer may even note that nobody makes fun of the things that, say, Corin Tucker's Stalker or Livestock post on the front page. An extremely astute observer who wants to be the change in the forums could even try to extrapolate why that might be, if they were so inclined.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, the rule doesn't apply to only the writers whom you think are good or funny, I'm afraid. The forum rules as well as the front page writer selections are up to Lowtax, so if you think either should be changed, please email him, webmaster@somethingawful.com instead of insulting the writing staff.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Ruddha posted:

I don't feel it is harassment to notice that something someone makes is insanely bad.

Unless that something is your posts, apparently.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Unless that something is your posts, apparently.

yeah rooders constantly getting lowtax to restate the harassment rules on his behalf

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ralp posted:

Well, the rule doesn't apply to only the writers whom you think are good or funny, I'm afraid. The forum rules as well as the front page writer selections are up to Lowtax, so if you think either should be changed, please email him, webmaster@somethingawful.com instead of insulting the writing staff.

I legitimately don't understand where the harassment was in this thread, can you point it out directly so we know what to avoid?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Judge Clayjar posted:

yeah rooders constantly getting lowtax to restate the harassment rules on his behalf

Nah, he just whines and spouts gibberish from a teenager's half-assed theory of comedy. I guess it's kinda funny, in a "kid with the helmet can't open his juice box" way.

But back to the topic of movie reviews: Isn't caring about stuff the worst, you guys? And having thoughts and opinions? And like, expressing them? As if it's a reviewer's job to tell people what they thought of the movie they saw, amirite?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Nah, he just whines and spouts gibberish from a teenager's half-assed theory of comedy. I guess it's kinda funny, in a "kid with the helmet can't open his juice box" way.

But back to the topic of movie reviews: Isn't caring about stuff the worst, you guys? And having thoughts and opinions? And like, expressing them? As if it's a reviewer's job to tell people what they thought of the movie they saw, amirite?

(0) Comments

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So glad I can now get the full GBS experience without going to GBS.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Isn't caring about the Current Releases section of the front page the worst, you guys? And having thoughts and opinions about them? And like, expressing them? As if it's a poster's privilege to tell people in the Front Page Discussion Forum what they thought of the movie review they read, amirite?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
g0m's review was good and funny

he should be a regular, reviewing the hot new movies every week or something else if he just doesn't feel like watching a movie for current releases that week

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's weird, no one's calling for his 'job' or anything, no one's demanding he never write again, people just disagree with a thing he said and for some reason it's being treated like this thread mailed poop to his house with a note reading "YOU" stapled to it or something.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's weird, no one's calling for his 'job' or anything, no one's demanding he never write again, people just disagree with a thing he said and for some reason it's being treated like this thread mailed poop to his house with a note reading "YOU" stapled to it or something.

Yeah, how could anyone reading the last 50 posts of this thread think that there was anything more than a simple expression of disagreement? It's weird, I sincerely don't get why anyone would think otherwise.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

jesus christ would you just gently caress off already you giant manchild. you aren't a mod anymore so you can just stick to posting in The Epic Simpsons & MST3K Quote Threads you bitter retard

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Senior Woodchuck posted:

You're depressing as hell, please go make your dumb blog posts somewhere else

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

You smelled a girls hair on the bus and got a hard on, then made a blog post about it.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Gawrsh!

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Senior Woodchuck posted:

good grief

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

is this really the movie review guy

someone answer please this is important. im not a troll

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm a fan of current releases but I'm going to stop reading it if it's authors are going to go and get people banned over criticism...

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

little munchkin posted:

is this really the movie review guy

someone answer please this is important. im not a troll

Yes.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
To assist SA Front Page Discussion posters follow the rules, the rules state, in part:

"Please do not harass or intentionally annoy the mods or insult the front page writers."

As with the interpretation of any law or rule, we must assume the author meant what they said and said what they meant. You may not insult the front page writers, nor may you harass or intentionally annoy the mods. The contrapositive behavior must then be legal. Good luck and post safe!

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Chilled Cap posted:

i think its very cool that the entire front page is basically an adhoc mental asylum for talentless hacks with extreme depression/anxiety who have to run and get the orderlies to straighten out anybody who hurts their feelings

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

free chilled cap

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Senior Woodchuck posted:

The essence of the criticism of the criticism that has been ongoing, at least on my part, is that it is bad. It is not good. It is really not very informative. It is not that it is bad to "care".

If you actually legitimately care about film, there is a good chance you do not post about it on this web site, because if you look at the movie forum (or the book forum, etc) you see that largely there's an incredible fixation on really childish products (and they are usually products rather than films) with a corresponding lack of taste. I'm sure it's an idea that's unfamiliar to you, as a grown man who wants to surgically replace his dick and balls with a coin operated motorised Donald Duck ride who is about 3 wispy chin hairs away from being a convicted rapist, but when criticism is coming from a really juvenile place about a less-juvenile subject it can seem very superficial and difficult to respect. Like when they allow kids to do news reports on the actual news.

This is one side of the coin here. Some of the reviewers present as, essentially, children of varying extreme largeness. But even if you read what they have to say about children's movies, it's still incredibly basic analysis of a film seen through a lens of a culture who are obsessed with identity politics in all things.

For example, if you read this week's review of The Boxtrolls, all you will learn is:

- The reviewer liked Coraline and Paranorman, but this film has a worse story
- There are trolls who wear boxes, also there are two characters who have names
- The film is nominally about the trolls who wear boxes, however it focuses on one of them who isn't REALLY a troll, but is actually a boy. This is a "big problem".
- The villain is avaristic and ugly. He pretends to be a woman, this is also a big problem, but we're not told why. Just that tumblr dislikes that and they're right to do so.
- The animation is good, kids will like it.

The only thing gleaned from this review that you won't get from the trailer is a number score and at some point a man wears a dress. It's an 800 word sideways glance at a movie and it really does not do a good job reviewing it outside of conveying the general sentiment that it's sort of not bad. I don't respect this, and I don't much care what this person has to say about other movies especially if they're more complicated than this movie for 6-year-olds.

On top of which the reviews are completely joyless, on a comedy web site. It's not just that it's really out of place, it's poorly executed in its own right. I'm not trying to illegally troll or insult them so please do not electronically beat me up, but I don't think they're cut out for this.

Thank you for reading this wearying post. As a reward, here is a picture of the cast of Duck Tales taking public transport so you can finally blast the biggest load of your life you mewling piece of poo poo idiot

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
Well, for one, that's not even the actual cast of Duck Tales

A Keg fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

A Keg posted:

Well, for one, that's not even the actual cast of Duck Tales