Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Instead of recap packages, why don't we get more videos about stuff outside the ring? An outside video/vignette promo can really build up a match.

- Rock vs. Brock Lesnar, SummerSlam 2002: Rock and Brock each take part in workout videos, showing that they're both taking this very seriously.
- Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels, WrestleMania XII: Shawn Michaels is shown working out in a gym, and in a lovely makeshift ring with jobbers (Paul London?), showing how seriously he's taking his boyhood dream. Jose Lothario points and gestures for effect, and ends up managing Shawn at WM.
- Owen Hart vs. Shawn Michaels, IYH: Rage in the Cage: Before the match, they do a recap of Shawn's collapse mid-match with Owen Hart from months before. They did a really great job here (and at the previous PPV, the Royal Rumble) of playing up Shawn's concussion, showing a talking head of Shawn's doctor.

Maybe that realism touch actually, you know, gets fans to buy into the psychology of the match. Go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Red posted:

Instead of recap packages, why don't we get more videos about stuff outside the ring? An outside video/vignette promo can really build up a match.

- Rock vs. Brock Lesnar, SummerSlam 2002: Rock and Brock each take part in workout videos, showing that they're both taking this very seriously.
- Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels, WrestleMania XII: Shawn Michaels is shown working out in a gym, and in a lovely makeshift ring with jobbers (Paul London?), showing how seriously he's taking his boyhood dream. Jose Lothario points and gestures for effect, and ends up managing Shawn at WM.
- Owen Hart vs. Shawn Michaels, IYH: Rage in the Cage: Before the match, they do a recap of Shawn's collapse mid-match with Owen Hart from months before. They did a really great job here (and at the previous PPV, the Royal Rumble) of playing up Shawn's concussion, showing a talking head of Shawn's doctor.

Maybe that realism touch actually, you know, gets fans to buy into the psychology of the match. Go figure.

As long as we get a video of Cena playing volleyball with a bunch of orphans and then Brock Lesner and Paul Heyman come and threaten him. While he is distracted a midget places a batman bomb on his boat.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

bobkatt013 posted:

As long as we get a video of Cena playing volleyball with a bunch of orphans and then Brock Lesner and Paul Heyman come and threaten him. While he is distracted a midget places a batman bomb on his boat.

If WWE would do this I would watch again. Anything to break the stagnant style of the past like 7 years.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

I don't know.

Brock Lesnar tipping over the wheelchair of the kid getting a make-a-wish from Cena wouldn't really be that different from Kane burying Zack Ryder.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Red posted:

We don't get promos about what happens outside the ring because nothing loving happens outside the ring anymore. Every single feud is built on "he cost me a match!", which only works as the reason for a feud when wins and losses mean something, which they don't, because we see the same people trading wins every week.

Like, it's weird. What WWE could really use right now is more sports entertainment.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

We don't get promos about what happens outside the ring because nothing loving happens outside the ring anymore. Every single feud is built on "he cost me a match!", which only works as the reason for a feud when wins and losses mean something, which they don't, because we see the same people trading wins every week.

Like, it's weird. What WWE could really use right now is more sports entertainment.

Oh, I agree, but I don't think I've seen a "real life" vignette in years. Having them used every so often gives a match a big-time feel, and helps with realism. Maybe you could argue they did it a little with Rock/Cena.

In WCW, I thought the Flair/Vader buildup(I forget the show) was tremendous because they showed Flair saying goodbye to his family, and seemingly genuinely worried about if he'd survive. (Edit: Starrcade 1993?)

Red fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 2, 2014

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

What do you think they're doing with the Bella twins? What more do you want from people?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What do you think they're doing with the Bella twins? What more do you want from people?

3 Hour Nitro reaction afterwards: What the gently caress did I just watch?
3 Hour Raw reaction afterwards: huh, sorry dozed off.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

coconono posted:

3 Hour Nitro reaction afterwards: What the gently caress did I just watch?
3 Hour Raw reaction afterwards: huh, sorry dozed off.

Nitro was retarded sometimes, and often ended with predictable clusterfuck finishes, but they still gave you a lot of poo poo in 3 hours. Lucha, masked monster-y guys, ninjas, The "AHHHHHHHHHHH CHOKESLAM" Giant, Sting from the rafters, tag teams carrying tables, and so forth.

The only thing I don't miss is Nitro's awful announcing.

Larry Z (watching Horace waffle someone with his stop sign): "That stop sign must weigh thirty pounds!"

I'd quote Mongo, but everything he said was moronic.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I actually kind of like what they're doing with the Bellas! I want them to also do it with people more charismatic than Brie.

(Nikki is actually a pretty good heel)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

coconono posted:

If anyone has a lead on recordings of Mean Gene's WCW Hotline let me know. So far Google has given me nothing.

I looked myself. I don't think it's happening. The only recording I found was a 'wrestling hotline' the night that Owen died.

I was quite interested in hearing one of them because around about February, Mean Gene pimped the line and talked about two former WWF champions who are looking to make their way to WCW. It's clearly Hall and Nash, but I wondered how the hotline would've phrased it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I actually kind of like what they're doing with the Bellas! I want them to also do it with people more charismatic than Brie.

(Nikki is actually a pretty good heel)

I'm fairly certain what my cat leaves in the litter box is more charismatic than Brie Bella.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DrVenkman posted:

I looked myself. I don't think it's happening. The only recording I found was a 'wrestling hotline' the night that Owen died.

I was quite interested in hearing one of them because around about February, Mean Gene pimped the line and talked about two former WWF champions who are looking to make their way to WCW. It's clearly Hall and Nash, but I wondered how the hotline would've phrased it.

I'd like to hear the one where they had implied Ric Flair died in a car crash, but it was actually Jerry Blackwell. I'd also like to hear the one where they made fun of Brady Boone for being dead.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They used to recap them in the Daily Lariat on 1Wrestling.com, if that means anything.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I think every time they interview a doctor for whatever reason, it should be King Kong Bundy in a lab coat.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You mean the interviewer is King Kong Bundy in a lab coat right?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

King Kong Bundy was on Married With Children, it was fantastic.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

oldpainless posted:

You mean the interviewer is King Kong Bundy in a lab coat right?

No. The interviewer is Bundy with a fake mustache.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

DoctorDelaware posted:

No. The interviewer is Bundy with a fake mustache.

Just make everyone King Kong Bundy.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

haljordan posted:

King Kong Bundy was on Married With Children, it was fantastic.

The Bundys were actually named after King Kong Bundy. :eng101:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
King Kong Bundy is only 56. When he main evented Wrestlemania 2, he was about 26. My mind was blown when I found that out.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Nitro 31: in the opening segment, Hulk Hogan easily defeats Arn Anderson and Kevin Sullivan in a handicap match, assaults their two female valets, beats up their defenseless manager, and no-sells the Giant's chokeslam. What a dick.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Nitro 31: in the opening segment, Hulk Hogan easily defeats Arn Anderson and Kevin Sullivan in a handicap match, assaults their two female valets, beats up their defenseless manager, and no-sells the Giant's chokeslam. What a dick.

I'm pretty sure that's the handicap match that was supposed to build return heat for him being off filming Santa with Muscles, too, wasn't it? There was some stupid Hogan thought like "well I just let Arn beat me twice in two weeks, what if he beats me again!?"

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Regarding Mean Gene's hotline, I actually called it back in 97 when I was 16. "A former world champion left another organization to join his friends" were Gene's paraphrased words, the implication being HBK. Turned out to be Saturn (former ECW World Tag Team Champ).

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

pathetic little tramp posted:

King Kong Bundy is only 56. When he main evented Wrestlemania 2, he was about 26. My mind was blown when I found that out.

he looks pretty much identical now to how he did back then too

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

too sweet me Satan

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
Reading the Death of WCW and I got to the part about the Beach Blast movie with Sting, Davey Boy, Vader, and Sid. I thought I've seen all of these videos but I'm glad I was wrong.

http://www.wwe.com/videos/the-masters-of-the-powerbomb-crash-sting-the-british-bulldogs-beach-party-beach-26118334

Seriously how did this production cost $88,000?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

this is kind of like the Terry Funk album where it has strangely prog rock-like instrumentals for being... what it is.

Only semi WCW but does anyone have the Abdullah the Butcher album?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BillyMays posted:

Reading the Death of WCW and I got to the part about the Beach Blast movie with Sting, Davey Boy, Vader, and Sid. I thought I've seen all of these videos but I'm glad I was wrong.

http://www.wwe.com/videos/the-masters-of-the-powerbomb-crash-sting-the-british-bulldogs-beach-party-beach-26118334

See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIU_Ln2wABQ

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

BillyMays posted:

I had seen Beach Blast before, but never got around to watchingLost in Cleveland until now. Is part 1 avaiable anywhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQ2p91aWdA

Thauros fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 6, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

LvK posted:

this is kind of like the Terry Funk album where it has strangely prog rock-like instrumentals for being... what it is.

Only semi WCW but does anyone have the Abdullah the Butcher album?

It's Hulk Hogan singing with some legendary Japanese rock band apparently.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Slamboree 96: after a ridiculous battle bowl lethal lottery tournament, the 8 finalists compete in an over-the-top-rope battle royal...until DDP starts pinning people and wins via pinfall. Okay.

Incidentally having read the Death of WCW 10th anniversary edition over the weekend I can't wait for the rest of the WCW archives to end up on the Network. I really hope they give us Thunder eventually.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Slamboree 96: after a ridiculous battle bowl lethal lottery tournament, the 8 finalists compete in an over-the-top-rope battle royal...until DDP starts pinning people and wins via pinfall. Okay.

And then doesn't get his world title shot.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Oh God they're showing the 1998 Fall Brawl on the Network and I'd never seen any of the "let's have Scott Hall be as drunk onstage as he is offstage" angle.

I hope the revised Death of WCW places more emphasis on this because this poo poo is really loving hard to watch.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
IIRC Hall's wife wrote an open letter pleading for him to get help during that time, and the National Enquirer published it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Xerzes posted:

And then doesn't get his world title shot.

Spoilers! :smith:

...but that in no way surprises me given how low in the card he is. And WCW.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Spoilers! :smith:

...but that in no way surprises me given how low in the card he is. And WCW.

He lost the shot because he had actually gotten eliminated earlier in the match, but the refs hosed it up and there was no Shawn Michaels rule.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
WCW: Well give the fans the outcome they want on the PPV and then immediately reverse it the next night on Nitro.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ayn rand hand job posted:

WCW: Well give the fans the outcome they want on Nitro and then immediately reverse it the next week on Hog Wild.
Fixed this for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Incidentally having read the Death of WCW 10th anniversary edition over the weekend I can't wait for the rest of the WCW archives to end up on the Network. I really hope they give us Thunder eventually.

Is there anything different about the 10th anniversary edition that wasn't in the old one?