Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Is it generally okay to sous vide in the heavy duty vacuum sealed pack something like a preseasoned pork loin comes in? Everything I find online is generally negative towards it, but from the same people that think microwaves give you cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It depends on the plastic.

Ziplocs are made from polyethylene, totally safe.

Foodsaver bags are made from polyethylene/nylon, also safe.

I have no idea what the grocery uses. Do you have something you were about to cook? Does it have a recycling symbol with a number in it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i would advise against it because pre seasoned pork loins are overly salty and gross.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

.Z. posted:

Why would you think that? One of the purposes of the home version was to provide methods that would be within reasonable reach of a home cook. i.e. Not use equipment that costs thousands of dollars. That was what the original giant set of MC books was for.

There are loads of recipes in the original modernist cuisine that you can make at home with not-too-expensive equipment.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Are there any new things by Anova coming out or should I just order one now?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The Anova Precision Cooker is coming in a month for $180.

If you absolutely have to cook something in October, get the Anova One ($200)

That's about it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'll just order the Anova precision cooker then and wait for it. I'd probably be waiting a couple of weeks for international shipping anyway

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Steve Yun posted:

The Anova Precision Cooker is coming in a month for $180.

If you absolutely have to cook something in October, get the Anova One ($200)

That's about it.

The Anova One is now $170 on Amazon -- http://www.amazon.com/Anova-Sous-Vide-Immersion-Circulator/dp/B00GT753W8/

Basically it has a stronger heating element, touch screen, but no BLE control via phone. I think the new one has a nicer designed clip as well.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

MrEnigma posted:

The Anova One is now $170 on Amazon -- http://www.amazon.com/Anova-Sous-Vide-Immersion-Circulator/dp/B00GT753W8/

Basically it has a stronger heating element, touch screen, but no BLE control via phone. I think the new one has a nicer designed clip as well.

Stronger element but worse PID implementation. The new one heats faster on most home scenarios. Also it cannot be understated how amazing the new clip is.

The new one does take forever to go down in temperature if you need it to, the PID is over dampening the temperature drop.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can you adjust the coefficients or tune them in any way? (Without reverse engineering)

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
Anova or Sansaire? Looking at regular home cooking, no commercial anything.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
From what owners and reviews have said, either will work just fine and the differences just come down to splitting hairs: Sansaire has a more convenient clip to deal with, the Anova One has a more secure clip, Sansaire looks nicer, Anova One has a sturdy metal skirt, blah blah blah.

Question is if you want to wait a month for the Anova Precision, which has smartphone controls.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I have started doing more complex things sous-vide (see previous posts) and would really like to get an Anova / Nomiku / Sansaire circulator.
Being in Europe apparently makes it difficult to buy these, any reliable sources that would ship to Belgium ?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is the anova or nomiku as big around as the sansaire? The sansaire seems bulky to me but I haven't seen one of the others in person to compare it to.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You can see them standing next to each other in Kenji's review:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/sous-vide-circulator-review-sansaire-nomiku-anova.html

Nomiku looks tiny

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I got my sansaire I thought it felt cheap, but it has since fallen off the top shelf in my pantry (probably 6 ½ feet or so) and the only thing that happened was the removable cover popped off. Put the cover back on and used it just fine.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Steve Yun posted:

You can see them standing next to each other in Kenji's review:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/sous-vide-circulator-review-sansaire-nomiku-anova.html

Nomiku looks tiny

To add to that picture the Anova Precision is a smaller diameter cylinder by about 1cm

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Got my replacement Anova today, firmware is 2.02 now instead of 2.01 of my previous one, anyone know what they added or if there is a place they publish these changes?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
It's hardware and not user-serviceable. Don't worry about firmware.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

CrazyLittle posted:

It's hardware and not user-serviceable. Don't worry about firmware.

I realize that, and it wasn't a big deal having 2.01 before, but now that I have one with 2.02 was wondering if anyone knew what changed.

For instance from 2.0 -> 2.01 (i think) they allowed user self calibration.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
So if my guests want, say, steaks or burgers cooked to different degrees of rareness do I need to have two circulator setups to get it done in a reasonable amount of time, or does the temperature shift fast enough that I can pull out the bags at the lower temperature and hold them and cook the rest at a slightly higher temperature?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KirbyJ posted:

So if my guests want, say, steaks or burgers cooked to different degrees of rareness do I need to have two circulator setups to get it done in a reasonable amount of time, or does the temperature shift fast enough that I can pull out the bags at the lower temperature and hold them and cook the rest at a slightly higher temperature?

Cook the highest temp stuff first, then lower the temp for the other stuff and keep everything in there.

Ex: 145 degrees for 1 hour for a medium steak, then leave that steak in there and drop temp to 135 for medium rare steaks.

Edit:another option is to cook everything the day before to the desired temps, then refrigerate.

The day of cooking, set the temp to 120/130 and warm everything up that way.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

quote:

Howdy Backers,

Searzalls have arrived at the Amazon facilities and Amazon is now processing them and getting them prepped to ship. This can take a fews days.

You should be receiving an email from Amazon with a tracking number once your Searzall has shipped from Amazon's facility. Sometimes these emails can go to Spam, so please check your spam box.

International Searzalls will be shipping from a company called Fulfillrite in New Jersey. Fulfillrite will also send an email with tracking information when your Searzall has been shipped from their facility.

Thank you so much for your patience.

All the best,

-Booker and Dax Lab

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How useful are vacuum sealers or can I get away with the ziploc + water technique and what is the recommended cook book for doing sous vide stuff?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dunking a Ziploc in water to squeeze out the air should work fine!

I dunno if you really need a cookbook for sous vide, For the most part recipes are A) get these ingredients, B) cook it at this temperature and C) cook it for this long. I just google recipes on the internet.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
:siren: My Searzall actually shipped :siren:

It's coming from Phoenix.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jose posted:

How useful are vacuum sealers or can I get away with the ziploc + water technique and what is the recommended cook book for doing sous vide stuff?

You can find em really cheap on craigslist! i recommend getting one just for storing food in the freezer, it really makes a difference if you want to store food.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I wouldn't bother unless you're going to get a chamber sealer, they're too much of a pain in the rear end.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

:siren: My Searzall actually shipped :siren:

It's coming from Phoenix.

Same here.

That means both of the kickstarter projects I backed have actually shipped a product. I should probably quit while I'm ahead.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Mine shipped. Delivery estimated to 10/20 via smartpost :v:

I don't know why I assumed that shipping them to Amazon was going to mean reasonably good shipping speed to the customers, but clearly not.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I wouldn't bother unless you're going to get a chamber sealer, they're too much of a pain in the rear end.

Ehh, maybe. It took me a while to figure out how to properly pack poo poo in and seal it, but once I figured that out it seems to have become a useful addition to my kitchen, and for more than just puddling stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMb74CgAgt8&feature=youtu.be

Dave should use some of that Kickstarter money to buy better pants.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
He already spent that on his Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas glasses.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Hed posted:

He already spent that on his Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas glasses.

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas safety glasses. You never know when meat might fracture or spall and end up in your eye.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
So I have a couple of brand new Lodge pans, will I be able to sear my steaks in a dry 450 degree pan for a minute on each side without it sticking like crazy? It's going to be my first time dealing with both cast iron and sous vide.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

KirbyJ posted:

So I have a couple of brand new Lodge pans, will I be able to sear my steaks in a dry 450 degree pan for a minute on each side without it sticking like crazy? It's going to be my first time dealing with both cast iron and sous vide.

Cast iron shouldn't stick, sous vide or not. Make sure you take care of them properly (IE don't wash with dish soap) and use a little bit of oil when cooking.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLittle posted:

Cast iron shouldn't stick, sous vide or not. Make sure you take care of them properly (IE don't wash with dish soap) and use a little bit of oil when cooking.
This may be a stupid question, but assuming that the cast iron pan is seasoned, do you mean to oil the food/meat directly or oil the pan?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Put oil in the pan

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I don't use any oil and steaks don't stick. Need to leave them on a single side without moving for a couple of minutes for them to lift off naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Mm. Alright, thanks, I'll just use oil since I want to keep my time on each side at a minute or under.

I don't know what it is about cast iron. You intelletually know it's a hunk of iron that you have to -work- to abuse and can maintain with minor maintenance. And yet, when you're just getting started you feel like it's a fragile little flower that has to be protected.